Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Are you going Vegan this year? 13:21 - Jan 1 with 6179 viewslifelong

Lots of people already have..apparently.
https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/vegans-uk-rise-popularit
Are you going Vegan this year? on 22:45 - Jan 6 with 834 viewsTheLegend

Are you going Vegan this year? on 09:16 - Jan 6 by Professor

I would question comparing a religious group to general population is that meaningful. The Univeristy of Loma Linda is the seventh day adventists own institution and there will be many confounding factors . Not exactly a top institution

I gave you the study and told you where to find it. It did not compare a religious group to the general population. It compared people with differing diets and separated them all from each other. That means in the results, the 7th day adventists were seperate from vegans, vegetarians etc they were only brought together to form an average, but the results are very much seperate.

It is also peer-reviewed and published in medical journals. Top doctors and institutions now prescribe plant based diets to reverse the effects of many diseases with tremendous effect.

This also backs up the World Health Organisation who placed processed meat in the group 1 carcinogen alongside plutonium and red meat and poultry in group 2, this off the back of countless studies into the links between animal consumption and health. Its simply undeniable.

I understand people fearful of breaking a thought process but refusing to accept what is clear and in front of you is crazy. It happens with every vice however, I remember my late Nan swearing blind that we can’t listen to the scientists, scholars and doctors telling us smoking is bad.
Are you going Vegan this year? on 23:03 - Jan 6 with 818 viewsTheLegend

Are you going Vegan this year? on 12:41 - Jan 6 by felixstowe_jack

How many billions of insects are killed every year by the pesticides sprayed onto crops?
What will happen to all the farm animals when everyone is vegan? Will they all be culled or will they all be set free to starve to death?

Veganism won’t happen overnight. It will be a gradual process in which there will be a reduction in meat demand and thus a gradual reduction in the intensive breeding. There will never be a case where without warning everyone stops buying meat together within 24 hours and animals will have to be set free!

With regards to pesticides, it is about choosing the path of least destruction. Let’s not forget that 36% of corn crops grown in the US... is used as feed for these animals, it is a horrendous misuse of resources and energy efficiency. It takes 2,500 gallons of water, 12 pounds of grain, 35 pounds of topsoil and the energy equivalent of one gallon of gasoline to produce one pound of beef. That doesn’t take into consideration that animal then has to be brutally killed of course.

There are also means and techniques to grow crops without harming anything at all, I don’t think there is a technique I know of that can not harm an animal while slicing its neck open. But am open minded if there is a suggestion...
[Post edited 6 Jan 2019 23:25]
Are you going Vegan this year? on 10:29 - Jan 7 with 732 viewsProfessor

Are you going Vegan this year? on 23:03 - Jan 6 by TheLegend

Veganism won’t happen overnight. It will be a gradual process in which there will be a reduction in meat demand and thus a gradual reduction in the intensive breeding. There will never be a case where without warning everyone stops buying meat together within 24 hours and animals will have to be set free!

With regards to pesticides, it is about choosing the path of least destruction. Let’s not forget that 36% of corn crops grown in the US... is used as feed for these animals, it is a horrendous misuse of resources and energy efficiency. It takes 2,500 gallons of water, 12 pounds of grain, 35 pounds of topsoil and the energy equivalent of one gallon of gasoline to produce one pound of beef. That doesn’t take into consideration that animal then has to be brutally killed of course.

There are also means and techniques to grow crops without harming anything at all, I don’t think there is a technique I know of that can not harm an animal while slicing its neck open. But am open minded if there is a suggestion...
[Post edited 6 Jan 2019 23:25]

That data is not correct as this gives cattle as a feed conversion ratio of over 12 when 8 is more realistic. That said I don't agree in using grain feed for cattle at all.

If you want to eat meat you have to kill an animal and there is no easy way of doing it. Brutal? Perhaps, really depends on your viewpoint. Would I do it? Yes, as do our nearest primate relatives- who are also omnivores (though Gorillas are vegetarian).

Another misrepresented issue is the resources used to produce meat and greenhouse gas emissions. Unfortunately FAO to publish incorrect data which the press leapt upon. No one has bothered to show these are overestimated. Plant production also contributes through ploughing and tilling.

As for the Loma Linda studies- they are reasonably OK, though have a confounding bias with seventh day adventists (who have longer lifespan of around seven years over other Americans even if the consume meat). Other large studies (and arguably more rigorous) in the UK, Germany and Australia have shown no significant effect on lifespan of a vegetarian diet. You can also trot out single studies that suggest vegetarians have a greater dementia risk, but I don't believe that either.

What is clear is that consumption of too much meat and in particular processed meat is not good. My view is eat less and eat better which could improve welfare considerably. Brexit will not help this though.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024