Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Earthquakes 02:27 - Jan 17 with 2649 viewsCooperman

I was out of the country when Wales experienced its earth tremor of last February. It’s therefore impossible for me to make a comparison.

Fast forward to Monday afternoon and Tokyo region was hit with a quake measuring in excess of 5 on Richter Scale and level 4 by the Japanese standard. I visit Japan half a dozen times a year so I’m familiar with mild tremors as the region is hit on at least a weekly basis, a frequency that has increased since the 2011 disaster. The locals literally don’t bat an eyelid at these mild tremors however Monday was a little more serious - forces sufficiently strong enough to rattle blinds, shuffle coat hangers on coat racks, make pens roll across table tops. The locals were certainly startled by it. To be frank it rattled me as well and I’ve certainly not felt anything like it before - 30 seconds of swaying and erratic movement not helped by the fact that I was on the top floor of our office block. Not something I’d wish to go through again in a hurry.

Has anyone experienced similar? Any subject matter experts out there on PS?

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

Earthquakes on 08:49 - Jan 17 with 2568 viewsMuteswan

I’ve not been caught up in an earthquake, but was in Mexico in 2007 when Hurricane Dean hit.
We were evacuated north from where we were the day before it hit land. It was very worrying but the hotel we were taken to had been built to a higher standard for withstanding hurricanes and we were assured we’d be ok. Obviously we were fine but nevertheless I have the utmost respect for the locals who kept calm telling us they were used to such events. As with you, I’d not wish to go through it again.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2007/aug/21/naturaldisasters.weather
Earthquakes on 09:58 - Jan 17 with 2533 viewsdickythorpe

I was at the Liberty stadium in May 2011 for a game of association football, between my beloved Swansea against Nottingham Forest.
The stadium was rocking that day!
Earthquakes on 18:22 - Jan 17 with 2439 viewsCooperman

Earthquakes on 08:49 - Jan 17 by Muteswan

I’ve not been caught up in an earthquake, but was in Mexico in 2007 when Hurricane Dean hit.
We were evacuated north from where we were the day before it hit land. It was very worrying but the hotel we were taken to had been built to a higher standard for withstanding hurricanes and we were assured we’d be ok. Obviously we were fine but nevertheless I have the utmost respect for the locals who kept calm telling us they were used to such events. As with you, I’d not wish to go through it again.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2007/aug/21/naturaldisasters.weather

We have a lot to be thankful for in that the risk of natural disaster is not part of our lives.

Mexico is a good example of the opposite and earthquake and hurricane are two risks for the locals.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

Earthquakes on 19:38 - Jan 17 with 2404 viewsMuteswan

Earthquakes on 18:22 - Jan 17 by Cooperman

We have a lot to be thankful for in that the risk of natural disaster is not part of our lives.

Mexico is a good example of the opposite and earthquake and hurricane are two risks for the locals.

Yes, but we still always complain about the weather here. 😉
It’s just a British thing.☀️🌧❄️💨☁️
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024