Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This VAR business 19:15 - Dec 28 with 7255 viewsMrSwerve

All a bit odd, innit.

Poll: Decision day - who wins the PL title?

This VAR business on 19:21 - Dec 28 with 3626 viewsKennedy

Its bullsh*t.

How can this be offside. They need to change the rules so the part of the body that needs to be offside is the hip area or something.

It's not the first time today either.

Just call me JFK

This VAR business on 19:30 - Dec 28 with 3605 viewsMrSwerve

This VAR business on 19:21 - Dec 28 by Kennedy

Its bullsh*t.

How can this be offside. They need to change the rules so the part of the body that needs to be offside is the hip area or something.

I was someone years ago saying that TMO/VAR needs to be brought in ASAP for football - but now, I just don't think it fits the sport (and possibly never will).

I don't think you can rule some of these things as black and white. That Norwich offside really doesn't look offside to me, so I don't know if they're seeing something that most of us are not.

It feels like it's taking away from the game more than it's giving, at the moment.

This VAR business on 19:48 - Dec 28 with 3570 viewsmonmouth

The words clear and obvious need to be tattooed on the heads of The f*ckwits making these decisions.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

This VAR business on 20:03 - Dec 28 with 3535 viewsOldjack

it works both ways ,just remember that

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

This VAR business on 20:30 - Dec 28 with 3492 viewslonglostjack

Should only be used if a goal has been scored. Otherwise it’s a joke.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

This VAR business on 21:55 - Dec 28 with 3408 viewsmonmouth

This VAR business on 20:30 - Dec 28 by longlostjack

Should only be used if a goal has been scored. Otherwise it’s a joke.

See I think it should never be used when goals are scored. That's what is killing the excitement and celebration. Only use it for penalties, sending off, off the ball violence and maybe even (where the game wouldn't need to be stopped, until the next natural stoppage) for yellows given and not given.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

This VAR business on 21:58 - Dec 28 with 3402 viewsBarrySwan

These offsides are ridiculous, how can you be offside with a part of your body other than your feet, even the toe of a boot a half inch past the line of the defender judgements seem nuts to me after studying a still with mathematical precision.

A simple solution would be to adopt the Ice hockey offside rule that both feet have to be past the last line of the defenders ( or attacking zone marked line in Ice Hockeys case ) to rule out a goal for offside.

Problem solved, any squabbling by the scoring side about the attackers back foot being just millimetres past the defender can be negated by pointing out that the offside rule having been relaxed to include both feet gives more than enough leeway to an attacker getting a goal ruled out by both feet being past the offside line.
[Post edited 28 Dec 2019 21:59]
This VAR business on 22:03 - Dec 28 with 3390 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

I liked the irony that a 50 year old bloke who struggles to keep up with play could make a crap decision that means that a bunch of guys on £150K a week lose a game and 70,000 people go home disappointed.

VAR makes it more of a farce than a drama.

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Login to get fewer ads

This VAR business on 22:05 - Dec 28 with 3384 viewsDrGonzo

I can honestly take the odd mistake from a linesman or ref. VAR takes the emotion out of the purest moment in football and it sucks.
This VAR business on 22:09 - Dec 28 with 3378 viewsCooperman

This VAR business on 21:58 - Dec 28 by BarrySwan

These offsides are ridiculous, how can you be offside with a part of your body other than your feet, even the toe of a boot a half inch past the line of the defender judgements seem nuts to me after studying a still with mathematical precision.

A simple solution would be to adopt the Ice hockey offside rule that both feet have to be past the last line of the defenders ( or attacking zone marked line in Ice Hockeys case ) to rule out a goal for offside.

Problem solved, any squabbling by the scoring side about the attackers back foot being just millimetres past the defender can be negated by pointing out that the offside rule having been relaxed to include both feet gives more than enough leeway to an attacker getting a goal ruled out by both feet being past the offside line.
[Post edited 28 Dec 2019 21:59]

The argument isn’t about what part of the body is offside so your suggestion won’t work.

The argument is about the dividing line between being onside or offside and the ability to detect it with the naked eye. In essence it’s about the size of the grey area. My engineering brain only works with black or white, wrong or right, off or on so when I see someone who is clearly 1cm offside toe to toe then I will happily accept the decision. What I’m not satisfied with is the grey area caused by grainy images and lines on a monitor.

Therefore FWIW I’ll happily bin VAR and go back to the old methods until the point that someone is able to provide a quick and conclusive decision. That’s quick and conclusive, not one or the other. If that’s not forthcoming anytime soon then I will happily consign VAR to the trash bin once and for all.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

This VAR business on 22:30 - Dec 28 with 3340 viewsMrSwerve

This VAR business on 22:09 - Dec 28 by Cooperman

The argument isn’t about what part of the body is offside so your suggestion won’t work.

The argument is about the dividing line between being onside or offside and the ability to detect it with the naked eye. In essence it’s about the size of the grey area. My engineering brain only works with black or white, wrong or right, off or on so when I see someone who is clearly 1cm offside toe to toe then I will happily accept the decision. What I’m not satisfied with is the grey area caused by grainy images and lines on a monitor.

Therefore FWIW I’ll happily bin VAR and go back to the old methods until the point that someone is able to provide a quick and conclusive decision. That’s quick and conclusive, not one or the other. If that’s not forthcoming anytime soon then I will happily consign VAR to the trash bin once and for all.

It wouldn’t surprise me if we start to see some kind of asbo-esque detection anklet on players to make offsides more black and white...a bit like goal line technology.

I truly hate fans being unable to properly cheer a goal when there’s a hint of VAR coming in. Even if the goal is then given, it takes the excitement out of the moment.
[Post edited 28 Dec 2019 22:32]

This VAR business on 22:52 - Dec 28 with 3303 viewsBarrySwan

I'm well aware of that that's why I gave the opinion that its ridiculous to call an offside decided by millimetres after studying a video still for some time.

There is no way a linesman / woman could ever be expected to be that precise and its also ludicrous to expect an attacking player to be that precise either when judging a run.

Thus my two feet over the line suggestion gives a fair bit of justifiable leeway all round.
This VAR business on 23:03 - Dec 28 with 3284 viewsLeonWasGod

This VAR business on 19:21 - Dec 28 by Kennedy

Its bullsh*t.

Quite right. It was a great ‘goal’ that deserved to be given.
This VAR business on 23:05 - Dec 28 with 3276 viewslonglostjack

This VAR business on 22:52 - Dec 28 by BarrySwan

I'm well aware of that that's why I gave the opinion that its ridiculous to call an offside decided by millimetres after studying a video still for some time.

There is no way a linesman / woman could ever be expected to be that precise and its also ludicrous to expect an attacking player to be that precise either when judging a run.

Thus my two feet over the line suggestion gives a fair bit of justifiable leeway all round.

Not a bad suggestion in fairness. Stick to sport wus. Politics is not your thing.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

This VAR business on 00:02 - Dec 29 with 3226 viewsswan65split

wait till the adverts come in.

Krap the lot of it.
This VAR business on 00:27 - Dec 29 with 3203 viewsBadlands

No, he was offside.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

This VAR business on 00:28 - Dec 29 with 3203 viewsploppy

But even in engineering you often need to specify a tolerance - things very rarely need to be spot-on, and even then you're down to the precision of your measuring equipment. Unfortunately, given the fps of the VAR video, a player can be onside in one frame and offside in the next - and somewhere between those two frames is when the ball's actually being passed. And, as far as I know, they don't interpolate between those frames. So, there's a good engineering reason for applying a tolerance to the VAR decisions.

But it's worse than that Jim. When the tw@ts in Stockley Park are projecting those lines down to the ground, they basically have to choose a point on the players' bodies (the furthest forward part of the body with which you can legally score a goal) which has more potential for error than the fps issue.

But it's even worse than that Jim. It's cr@p and it's sucking all the joy out of the game.

If we have to have VAR, and I'm not convinced we do, give them 10secs (or 20secs, whatever), and no fancy line drawing, to make a decision - and if they haven't done so in that time, you go with the on-field decision.
This VAR business on 00:36 - Dec 29 with 3198 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Madness.

Offside by an inch?

How accurate is the technology in terms of the moment the ball was kicked? How many inches does a player move in say, a tenth of a second?

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

This VAR business on 00:42 - Dec 29 with 3186 viewsBadlands

Off side is offside.
From the introduction of goal posts, to linesmen, to in ball sensors to check if the ball has crossed the line technology and change has been accepted reluctantly.
But, if it's OK to be a few inches off-side how many 1 or 1000?) what is the point of the off-side rule?
TBH I'd rather see refs clamping down on players preventing free kicks being taken by standing over the ball or blocking a pass by not getting 10 yards away ... immediately.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

This VAR business on 03:13 - Dec 29 with 3128 viewsswan65split

This VAR business on 00:42 - Dec 29 by Badlands

Off side is offside.
From the introduction of goal posts, to linesmen, to in ball sensors to check if the ball has crossed the line technology and change has been accepted reluctantly.
But, if it's OK to be a few inches off-side how many 1 or 1000?) what is the point of the off-side rule?
TBH I'd rather see refs clamping down on players preventing free kicks being taken by standing over the ball or blocking a pass by not getting 10 yards away ... immediately.

And rolling about as if they've been poleaxed by a spam sandwich, and beating the floor .
fecking tossers the lot of them.
This VAR business on 03:18 - Dec 29 with 3126 viewsCooperman

This VAR business on 22:52 - Dec 28 by BarrySwan

It doesn’t matter whether the trigger is one foot, two feet, or any other part of the body passed the line of the defender. At some point this is going to have to be measured and ruled upon and this cannot be successfully done today.

This VAR business on 03:27 - Dec 29 with 3122 viewsCooperman

This VAR business on 00:28 - Dec 29 by ploppy

But even in engineering you often need to specify a tolerance - things very rarely need to be spot-on, and even then you're down to the precision of your measuring equipment. Unfortunately, given the fps of the VAR video, a player can be onside in one frame and offside in the next - and somewhere between those two frames is when the ball's actually being passed. And, as far as I know, they don't interpolate between those frames. So, there's a good engineering reason for applying a tolerance to the VAR decisions.

But it's worse than that Jim. When the tw@ts in Stockley Park are projecting those lines down to the ground, they basically have to choose a point on the players' bodies (the furthest forward part of the body with which you can legally score a goal) which has more potential for error than the fps issue.

But it's even worse than that Jim. It's cr@p and it's sucking all the joy out of the game.

If we have to have VAR, and I'm not convinced we do, give them 10secs (or 20secs, whatever), and no fancy line drawing, to make a decision - and if they haven't done so in that time, you go with the on-field decision.

That’s quite right but If you apply a tolerance you also need to be able to measure to that tolerance and this cannot be done today for offside rulings.

Goal line technology on the other hand delivers a result that everyone trusts - there is both timely delivery and a visual aid. I’d throw VAR away unless this quality is available for offside rulings.

This VAR business on 03:37 - Dec 29 with 3116 viewsTimTtam

Logically it shouldn't matter if a players' arm is offside. If they use that offside part of their body, it will be either a free kick or a penalty. The only thing that should matter if if the head, hip, or lets/feet are offside.

VAR is necessary. We saw that after Sterling stole a FA Cup semi final and Wembley appearance from us. It's the refs who are making the decisions that needs to be fixed or improved. Take the Man City dive against Wolves a few days ago. And then the encroachment from Man City on the 2nd penalty attempt. VAR was brought in to stop those incidents, but it's letting many pass.

My name is Matt
Poll: Best option in regards to the EPL & EFL seasons?

This VAR business on 08:31 - Dec 29 with 3027 viewshobo

This VAR business on 19:30 - Dec 28 by MrSwerve

I was someone years ago saying that TMO/VAR needs to be brought in ASAP for football - but now, I just don't think it fits the sport (and possibly never will).

I don't think you can rule some of these things as black and white. That Norwich offside really doesn't look offside to me, so I don't know if they're seeing something that most of us are not.

It feels like it's taking away from the game more than it's giving, at the moment.

Bit late now. I had plenty of arguments on here pre VAR saying how it would ruin football, how it's mainly there to help the big teams, and will take the emotion out of the sport...but no, "football NEEDS VAR!" "We must move with the times!" "It works in rugby!". We even had fans from countries where VAR had been used for trials saying how awful it was.

No doubt the FA had some billion pound deal already tied up with some technology company, and the fans pretty much begged them to push it through

I'm just glad it's not ruining our games in the Championship, but I'm sure it will be on it's way
This VAR business on 09:12 - Dec 29 with 2996 viewsAndy1300

This VAR business on 08:31 - Dec 29 by hobo

Bit late now. I had plenty of arguments on here pre VAR saying how it would ruin football, how it's mainly there to help the big teams, and will take the emotion out of the sport...but no, "football NEEDS VAR!" "We must move with the times!" "It works in rugby!". We even had fans from countries where VAR had been used for trials saying how awful it was.

No doubt the FA had some billion pound deal already tied up with some technology company, and the fans pretty much begged them to push it through

I'm just glad it's not ruining our games in the Championship, but I'm sure it will be on it's way

It’s just useless officials that ruin things.

Number 1 team in Wales

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024