Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The road to hell... 10:09 - Jan 8 with 693 viewsCatullus

...is paved with good intentions

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/08/world/europe/conscription-eritrea-eu.html

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

The road to hell... on 12:01 - Jan 8 with 646 viewsLeonWasGod

Always been a common problem with aid hasn't it. I don't know what the answer is other than building stuff for them, as we always used to do with aid spending by proping up British companies working in developing countries. Giving foreign governments money directly has always been open to abuse. That's known of course, but there's a benefit to using cash as a sweatener alongside a diplomatic approach to influence foreign governments.

There's no easy answer to the problem, but it's right that these issues should be raised and discussed. It's public money at the end of the day and so they're duty bound to spend it wisely and/or justify how and why it's being spent.
The road to hell... on 16:01 - Jan 8 with 546 viewsCatullus

The road to hell... on 12:01 - Jan 8 by LeonWasGod

Always been a common problem with aid hasn't it. I don't know what the answer is other than building stuff for them, as we always used to do with aid spending by proping up British companies working in developing countries. Giving foreign governments money directly has always been open to abuse. That's known of course, but there's a benefit to using cash as a sweatener alongside a diplomatic approach to influence foreign governments.

There's no easy answer to the problem, but it's right that these issues should be raised and discussed. It's public money at the end of the day and so they're duty bound to spend it wisely and/or justify how and why it's being spent.

Maybe we should stop all foreign aid until the governments we 'donate' to agree to full and open observation by UN teams, any country that says no gets no money, any country that plays silly beggars gets aid withdrawn.
The people will suffer I know, but they are suffering anyway while we make dictators and their friends rich.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024