Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Best high street in the UK is...... 16:50 - Jan 23 with 5929 viewsProfessor

Treorchy. The town I grew up in. Well deserved and bucking a trend of South Wales decay.
Best high street in the UK is...... on 19:01 - Jan 28 with 952 viewslonglostjack

Best high street in the UK is...... on 21:18 - Jan 27 by howenjack

Lohengrin being a history buff did you know Rudolph Hess used to take walks on the Skirrid Mountain ? He was kept prisoner at Maindiff court after his fruitless flight in an ME 110.
He was kept under armed guard and allowed to walk the Skirrid for exercise . Later transferred to Spandau , Berlin.

He used to walk with his guards and a spaniel dog past a relative’s house in Llanvethrine. They used to have a small exhibition case of his time in Maindiff Court in the museum in Abergavenny castle. Signed beer mats and Red Cross parcel that type of thing . It’s been discretely removed :-). If I’m not mistaken a brewery in Cardiff brewed a beer for him !
[Post edited 28 Jan 2020 19:19]

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Best high street in the UK is...... on 19:42 - Jan 28 with 927 viewsTNT

Best high street in the UK is...... on 18:49 - Jan 28 by howenjack

I know they hid out for a while at Leatherslade Farm not far from the robbery site and then split up leaving their dabs all over the monopoly board . Who was it out of the gang who stayed in Hay any idea ?
Another piece of history for you - During the war a London lass of French origin called Violette Szabo was approached by SOE. Her old man had copped it in north Africa by the Jerries so she decided to get her own back.
She had relatives in Wormelow and used to stay with them between missions ( also riding a motorbike round the country roads in her spare time ! ). The house is called Cantref ( just off the main street) and has been turned into a museum in her memory . I think it is open to the public on Wednesdays - not sure though, I 've never been inside but have visited the outside.
As for Violette they made a film about her in the 50's called "Carve her name with Pride".
It didn't end well for her unfortunately she was captured after a gunfight with members of the Das Reich division who were heading for Normandy. Tortured , interrogated and slung onto a concentration she was executed just before the war ended.
23 years of age , a very beautiful woman , extraordinarily brave.

Think it was part of a fingerprint on a Ketchup bottle, through the tiniest of holes in a glove, which ultimately implicated them at Leatherslade Farm - if my memory of the book I read back in the day serves me well.

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

Best high street in the UK is...... on 19:56 - Jan 28 with 920 viewsGlastonbury

Best high street in the UK is...... on 17:24 - Jan 23 by Professor

I guess so. A combination of a judging panel and a public vote I believe. Swansea and Narberth were other contenders. Certainly the strength Treorchy has, is a large number of independents. Never had chains like Woolworths that nearby tonypandy and Porth had and of course lost. Does not have a large supermarket (Lidl, Iceland and co-op). Far enough from cities an out-of-towns to allow independents to thrive I think.

I often drive thru and cant believe how busy the place is.
Best high street in the UK is...... on 22:53 - Jan 28 with 883 viewsTNT

Best high street in the UK is...... on 19:56 - Jan 28 by Glastonbury

I often drive thru and cant believe how busy the place is.

That's McDonalds, mun.

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

Best high street in the UK is...... on 22:43 - Jan 30 with 765 viewshowenjack

Best high street in the UK is...... on 22:53 - Jan 28 by TNT

That's McDonalds, mun.

Here's a link if anyone's interested - http://violetteszabomuseum.org.uk/history
Best high street in the UK is...... on 16:52 - Jan 31 with 720 viewsKGriz16

Porth boy, was Swansea. Treorchy is good, vibrant. Bravo!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024