Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S 08:30 - May 13 with 4658 viewsBryanSwan

Anyone have any interest in the Welsh Leagues and Clubs.
Huge game in the Premier today Newtown v Haverfordwest for a place in European qualifiers.

Poll: When will Russell Martin no longer be Swansea manager?

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 10:07 - May 13 with 3208 viewsbuilthjack

I will be at the Newtown game later. Hoping for a crowd of about 2000

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 10:11 - May 13 with 3207 viewspembsjack

Watched the game last week between Cardiff Met and Haverfordwest, entertaining win for Haverfordwest on penalties. Keeper pulled off some superb saves, looked too good for the level.
Looking forward to tonight's game, even as a Pembs boy, it still hurts to say come on you Bluebirds
Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 10:13 - May 13 with 3202 viewsBoundy

Watched the U19s Briton Ferry v Connah Quay last Sunday at Aberystwyth ,all match officials were from the northern league, let's just say no matter what Briton Ferry were never going to win that match ,if ever a game of football was bent that one was.

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 10:50 - May 13 with 3190 viewsBryanSwan

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 10:07 - May 13 by builthjack

I will be at the Newtown game later. Hoping for a crowd of about 2000

Should be a cracking atmosphere, confirmed over 2k sold now. Just hope the game is as good as the support.

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 13:17 - May 13 with 3157 viewsKeithHaynes

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 10:11 - May 13 by pembsjack

Watched the game last week between Cardiff Met and Haverfordwest, entertaining win for Haverfordwest on penalties. Keeper pulled off some superb saves, looked too good for the level.
Looking forward to tonight's game, even as a Pembs boy, it still hurts to say come on you Bluebirds

Haverfordwest have definitely pulled their results round of late and needed to.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 19:45 - May 13 with 3074 viewsbuilthjack

1-1 aet. Penalties now.
A drab game, I personally think the standard has gone down these last few years.
I hate the artificial pitches.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 21:47 - May 13 with 3033 viewsbuilthjack

Haverfordwest won on penalties. Keith is running along Cadiz beach naked .

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 08:20 - May 14 with 2975 viewsBryanSwan

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 19:45 - May 13 by builthjack

1-1 aet. Penalties now.
A drab game, I personally think the standard has gone down these last few years.
I hate the artificial pitches.

A few have gone down the 4g pitch route as a way to make money, being able to rent the pitch out and it not being a bog for the first team.
Its unfortunate as a 4g pitch is nothing like playing on grass, should be a prerequisite for being in the top flight in my opinion.

Outside of moneybags TNS you are probably right. I had heard that they are considering a major restructure to the league, hopefully thats able to improve competition.

Login to get fewer ads

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 09:00 - May 14 with 2955 viewsbuilthjack

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 08:20 - May 14 by BryanSwan

A few have gone down the 4g pitch route as a way to make money, being able to rent the pitch out and it not being a bog for the first team.
Its unfortunate as a 4g pitch is nothing like playing on grass, should be a prerequisite for being in the top flight in my opinion.

Outside of moneybags TNS you are probably right. I had heard that they are considering a major restructure to the league, hopefully thats able to improve competition.

Each Welsh Premier club a few years ago were able to access half a million to install the pitches.
You are right, they are moneymakers, they make a lot of money if clubs let them out wisely.
But to me, the football has gone downhill since they were installed.
They are looking at 2 x 10 league teams, one in the North, one in the South, then play offs at the end of the season. Less travelling as the vast majority of players are working men, who train once or twice a week and and play the matches.
UEFA have to approve the plan.

TNS are in a league of their own. Mike Harris sold Total Network Solutions in 2005 for over £20m.
He is now a big gun in the US. I am told, and it’s likely to be true, that he is making a fortune at present. He has plans to build a new stadium for them, so their domination will continue.
By entering the Champions League they get between 500k and a million each year.

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 09:43 - May 14 with 2935 viewsBryanSwan

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 09:00 - May 14 by builthjack

Each Welsh Premier club a few years ago were able to access half a million to install the pitches.
You are right, they are moneymakers, they make a lot of money if clubs let them out wisely.
But to me, the football has gone downhill since they were installed.
They are looking at 2 x 10 league teams, one in the North, one in the South, then play offs at the end of the season. Less travelling as the vast majority of players are working men, who train once or twice a week and and play the matches.
UEFA have to approve the plan.

TNS are in a league of their own. Mike Harris sold Total Network Solutions in 2005 for over £20m.
He is now a big gun in the US. I am told, and it’s likely to be true, that he is making a fortune at present. He has plans to build a new stadium for them, so their domination will continue.
By entering the Champions League they get between 500k and a million each year.

The problem is that when you sre only getting a few hundred through the gate at a 5er a piece it doesn't quite make up the running of a club. The renting out of the artificial pitches is huge revenue and unfortunately one most of the clubs can't survive without.
TNS are in a league of their own, full professional and self sustained on the European prize money, no other clubs can touch them and they won't untill the league is drastically improved.

I'd always been in favour of a split top flight, i know many who would leave their club if they got promoted and thats before considering that a lot of Cymru south clubs especially don't want to go up. Less local "derby" games = less revenue.
I had thought that running the league over the summer wouldve been an improvement, not competing with Swansea, Cardiff, Wrexham etc for fans. Plus the bonus of it being warm, a few drinks in the sun always more appealing to fairweather fans.

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 10:18 - May 14 with 2918 viewsSgorioFruit

Haverfordwest win on pens with Corey Shephard netting the winning penalty.
Shephard, that name ring a bell with anyone? His father Garry Shephard was a Newport County and Merthyr Town legend. As well as a Merthyr Town manager. He has two sons, Liam Shephard who used to play for the Swans youth i think, as well as playing for Newport County. Last time i checked he played for Salford.
And then Corey who scored the winner last night for Haverfordwest.

With regards to the Cymru Prem and Cymru North and South. I live 2 minute drive away from Ammanford's ground, who play in the Cymru South, who have just narrowly avoided relegation the last two seasons. I go down to watch them as much as i can. Trundle still plays for them, will he sign for another season? Who knows. I hope so.

Cymru North was interesting last season, Colwyn Bay winning the league to go into the Cymru Prem. I have been up to watch Colwyn Bay play a few times when they were in the english pyramid. Looks like they made the right move, regularly getting big crowds at their home games and have developed quite a following. Surely now they're promoted they will have european football in their sights. Any maybe knock TNS off their usual top spot.

Colwyn Bay promoted from Cymru North and Barry Town promoted from Cymru South, two huge additions to the premier league.

My only gripe is the way the league splits in two halfway through the season and then all these confusing outcomes and play offs etc.
The league should be expanded to 16 teams, with play offs in the Cymru North and South (currently there is no play offs, just one goes up from each league)

And they need to look at all the embarrassing situations that tend to happen at the end of each season, like clubs winning the league but can't go up due to licensing conditions etc..
Haverfordwest nearly got kicked out of the league at the end of this season for the seats in their stands were falling part.(from what i heard anyway)

One last talking point, should the Cymru Prem, Cymru North/South become a summer league?
[Post edited 14 May 2023 10:28]

My methods are not favoured by some but by god i speak the truth.
Poll: What Happened Today???

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 14:12 - May 14 with 2856 viewsKilkennyjack

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 10:18 - May 14 by SgorioFruit

Haverfordwest win on pens with Corey Shephard netting the winning penalty.
Shephard, that name ring a bell with anyone? His father Garry Shephard was a Newport County and Merthyr Town legend. As well as a Merthyr Town manager. He has two sons, Liam Shephard who used to play for the Swans youth i think, as well as playing for Newport County. Last time i checked he played for Salford.
And then Corey who scored the winner last night for Haverfordwest.

With regards to the Cymru Prem and Cymru North and South. I live 2 minute drive away from Ammanford's ground, who play in the Cymru South, who have just narrowly avoided relegation the last two seasons. I go down to watch them as much as i can. Trundle still plays for them, will he sign for another season? Who knows. I hope so.

Cymru North was interesting last season, Colwyn Bay winning the league to go into the Cymru Prem. I have been up to watch Colwyn Bay play a few times when they were in the english pyramid. Looks like they made the right move, regularly getting big crowds at their home games and have developed quite a following. Surely now they're promoted they will have european football in their sights. Any maybe knock TNS off their usual top spot.

Colwyn Bay promoted from Cymru North and Barry Town promoted from Cymru South, two huge additions to the premier league.

My only gripe is the way the league splits in two halfway through the season and then all these confusing outcomes and play offs etc.
The league should be expanded to 16 teams, with play offs in the Cymru North and South (currently there is no play offs, just one goes up from each league)

And they need to look at all the embarrassing situations that tend to happen at the end of each season, like clubs winning the league but can't go up due to licensing conditions etc..
Haverfordwest nearly got kicked out of the league at the end of this season for the seats in their stands were falling part.(from what i heard anyway)

One last talking point, should the Cymru Prem, Cymru North/South become a summer league?
[Post edited 14 May 2023 10:28]

The artificial pitches are needed in wet Wales to ensure that the games go ahead as scheduled.
You cant be travelling from Flint to Penybont for the game to be rained off last minute.

Top standard grass pitches are better, no question, but not many can afford the groundsmen needed to make that happen ….. so the 4G works. Plus all tbe community access, like the day time walking football at Penybont for seniors.

With respect, you are wrong about the split of the league though.
The split ensures that every game has meaning.
The Championship half are chasing European places as well as the title.
The Relegation half all fighting the drop, and the top team gets the European chance that Haverfordwest just took. Well done to them.

More ex-academy players are feeding through so the standard is good to watch.
And getting better.

TNS can pick the best 20 players perhaps, but Penybont for example are better located to attract players in south Wales. The north clubs pull from Liverpool and Manchester as well as the north.
Its a shame Merthyr dont want to have a crack at them. Their call, of course.
TNS have raised the bar, though so credit for that.

The top tier last year did not have Barry, Llanelli (both previous winners), Carmarthen, nor Colwyn Bay, Llandudno, Rhyl or Bangor - some have reformed - so yes they could expand it a little and grow the league without losing quality.

By splitting north and south then tbe derbies will increase attendances.
Less travelling costs and less travel time.

Its not the Swans - but its worth a look if the Swans are away and there is a local game near you.

Great question on summer football, maybe give it a go and see ?
[Post edited 14 May 2023 14:14]

Beware of the Risen People

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 16:10 - May 14 with 2826 viewsBryanSwan

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 14:12 - May 14 by Kilkennyjack

The artificial pitches are needed in wet Wales to ensure that the games go ahead as scheduled.
You cant be travelling from Flint to Penybont for the game to be rained off last minute.

Top standard grass pitches are better, no question, but not many can afford the groundsmen needed to make that happen ….. so the 4G works. Plus all tbe community access, like the day time walking football at Penybont for seniors.

With respect, you are wrong about the split of the league though.
The split ensures that every game has meaning.
The Championship half are chasing European places as well as the title.
The Relegation half all fighting the drop, and the top team gets the European chance that Haverfordwest just took. Well done to them.

More ex-academy players are feeding through so the standard is good to watch.
And getting better.

TNS can pick the best 20 players perhaps, but Penybont for example are better located to attract players in south Wales. The north clubs pull from Liverpool and Manchester as well as the north.
Its a shame Merthyr dont want to have a crack at them. Their call, of course.
TNS have raised the bar, though so credit for that.

The top tier last year did not have Barry, Llanelli (both previous winners), Carmarthen, nor Colwyn Bay, Llandudno, Rhyl or Bangor - some have reformed - so yes they could expand it a little and grow the league without losing quality.

By splitting north and south then tbe derbies will increase attendances.
Less travelling costs and less travel time.

Its not the Swans - but its worth a look if the Swans are away and there is a local game near you.

Great question on summer football, maybe give it a go and see ?
[Post edited 14 May 2023 14:14]

I'd have to actually disagree with a lot of that, most leagues consider artificial pitches ineligible. There is a reason for that. (If it were to be a summer league the only argument for them would be the extra club income).

The split if anything puts fans off, playing the same side 4 times a year is just boring.

I'd like to see an expanded 16 team league 8N 8S run across the summer, combining for a relegation/championship phase. Maybe add another relegation spot too and have a playoff between the two 2nd place N/S teams.

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 17:03 - May 14 with 2804 viewsKilkennyjack

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 16:10 - May 14 by BryanSwan

I'd have to actually disagree with a lot of that, most leagues consider artificial pitches ineligible. There is a reason for that. (If it were to be a summer league the only argument for them would be the extra club income).

The split if anything puts fans off, playing the same side 4 times a year is just boring.

I'd like to see an expanded 16 team league 8N 8S run across the summer, combining for a relegation/championship phase. Maybe add another relegation spot too and have a playoff between the two 2nd place N/S teams.

Fair enough, but i just explained why we have them.
If we had immaculate grass pitches throughout, then i would agree with you.

I also agree its the right time to expand.
16 is about right as you could easily see Barry, Llanelli, Colwyn Bay, and Druids giving it a go.
(Might TNS go from winning by 3 or 5, to winning by 5 or 6 ?).

I agree the teams play each other too much.
Nevertheless its still the case that there is something on nearly every match.
Its a debate to be had.

Colwyn Bay vs Caernarfon will attract around 3000 next season, according to some gogs…?
They dont seem to like each other much ?

Whats your view on Merthyr ?
Seems to me it would be good for them and good for the Cymru Prem.
Might they offer TNS a real threat ?

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 17:42 - May 14 with 2787 viewsBryanSwan

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 17:03 - May 14 by Kilkennyjack

16 is about right as you could easily see Barry, Llanelli, Colwyn Bay, and Druids giving it a go.

Its a debate to be had.

Colwyn Bay vs Caernarfon will attract around 3000 next season, according to some gogs…?

It might just be my personal hate of artificial pitches swaying any view on them.
TNS will continue to win the league at a canter (due to Uefa prize money) unless something drastic is done in the format to make it more competitive and grow the other teams.

I think Merthyr will be watching Colwyn Bay and how they get on for a good idea on how they'd fit the league and whether it would work for them as a club (they'd in my opinion be the biggest team in the league).

I'd like to see a new Neath team formed to compete, I know the Swans are in the locality but for Swansea, Neath, Port Talbot to have no top flight team is ridiculous given the size of the area.

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 18:27 - May 14 with 2767 viewsKilkennyjack

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 17:42 - May 14 by BryanSwan

It might just be my personal hate of artificial pitches swaying any view on them.
TNS will continue to win the league at a canter (due to Uefa prize money) unless something drastic is done in the format to make it more competitive and grow the other teams.

I think Merthyr will be watching Colwyn Bay and how they get on for a good idea on how they'd fit the league and whether it would work for them as a club (they'd in my opinion be the biggest team in the league).

I'd like to see a new Neath team formed to compete, I know the Swans are in the locality but for Swansea, Neath, Port Talbot to have no top flight team is ridiculous given the size of the area.

Thanks for the interesting exchange.

Ferry did well last year in Cymru South so they might be the team you suggest.
You make a valid point.

I think the same might be true of Newport ?
I guess Pontypridd got Cardiff covered…?
(Not really sure Cardiff Met counts ?)

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 19:20 - May 14 with 2751 viewsBryanSwan

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 18:27 - May 14 by Kilkennyjack

Thanks for the interesting exchange.

Ferry did well last year in Cymru South so they might be the team you suggest.
You make a valid point.

I think the same might be true of Newport ?
I guess Pontypridd got Cardiff covered…?
(Not really sure Cardiff Met counts ?)

No problem at all, nice to have a chat about it.
Ferry and Llanelli both gave it a good go last year, Barry were just a class above.

Newport do actually have a side "Newport City FC" playing out of Spytty park i think and one level below Cymru south.

I do wonder whether if the Welsh league improved it might improve football pathways for players, potentially for the Swans or for Wales.

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 21:41 - May 14 with 2716 viewsBoundy

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 19:20 - May 14 by BryanSwan

No problem at all, nice to have a chat about it.
Ferry and Llanelli both gave it a good go last year, Barry were just a class above.

Newport do actually have a side "Newport City FC" playing out of Spytty park i think and one level below Cymru south.

I do wonder whether if the Welsh league improved it might improve football pathways for players, potentially for the Swans or for Wales.

Ferry has thrown money at buying promotion but two season with the same manager has shown they're way off and they were the best of the rest .Barry first defeat last season was against them but that was blip for Barry who improved immeasurably after that .

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 20:23 - May 15 with 2589 viewsBryanSwan

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 21:41 - May 14 by Boundy

Ferry has thrown money at buying promotion but two season with the same manager has shown they're way off and they were the best of the rest .Barry first defeat last season was against them but that was blip for Barry who improved immeasurably after that .

They certainly have, have they got the money to go again? I know Llanelli probably will have another tilt at it this year.
Barry did well to keep hold of a few key players, Kayne Mclaggon is definitely too good to be in the Cymru south.

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 23:03 - May 15 with 2556 viewsbuilthjack

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 20:23 - May 15 by BryanSwan

They certainly have, have they got the money to go again? I know Llanelli probably will have another tilt at it this year.
Barry did well to keep hold of a few key players, Kayne Mclaggon is definitely too good to be in the Cymru south.

He must be on a fair whack, he has been there 6 years. Hometown club I guess.

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 23:31 - May 15 with 2550 viewsBoundy

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 20:23 - May 15 by BryanSwan

Talk is that they will k look to buy in new players , this instead of making use of their successful Academy which also costs money to run . They have a nice set up but as last season progressed the gates fell sharply and with that a reduced source of income so someone pumping money in with so far little reward

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 08:17 - May 16 with 2505 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 17:03 - May 14 by Kilkennyjack

Its a debate to be had.

Always amazes me why ab English based team, TNS who play in Oswestry, play in the Welsh National league. You think they might try their hand in the English pyramid where they would surely have bigger gates, more local games, a chance to play better teams and promotion to a decent standard of football.

The Welsh FA shot themselves in the foot when they decided to ban Swansea, Cardiff, Newport Wrexham and Merthyr as well as all the English teams from their Premier Competition The Welsh Cup.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 09:32 - May 16 with 2500 viewsBryanSwan

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 08:17 - May 16 by felixstowe_jack

Always amazes me why ab English based team, TNS who play in Oswestry, play in the Welsh National league. You think they might try their hand in the English pyramid where they would surely have bigger gates, more local games, a chance to play better teams and promotion to a decent standard of football.

The Welsh FA shot themselves in the foot when they decided to ban Swansea, Cardiff, Newport Wrexham and Merthyr as well as all the English teams from their Premier Competition The Welsh Cup.

It's an astute decision from them. They have barely any fans and are reliant on receiving the £500k minimum for just reaching Champions league qualifiers.
If Total network solutions joined the English pyramid they would be well below even Merthyr in my opinion.

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 12:03 - May 16 with 2477 viewsBarrySwan

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 17:42 - May 14 by BryanSwan

'I think Merthyr will be watching Colwyn Bay and how they get on for a good idea on how they'd fit the league and whether it would work for them as a club (they'd in my opinion be the biggest team in the league).'

I would hope not, they might as well pack up all together if they decide to drop down into the Welsh League.

I've played more different sports that than I care to think about over the years and there's only one thing that the participants, coaches and administrators of all of them agreed on.

You only get better by playing against better opposition.

There of course is one exception to this line of thinking. The Welsh FA who appear to think that the way forward is by playing against weaker opposition by teams dropping down to the embarrassingly low standard of the Welsh league rather than remaining and battling away in the English pyramid.

Such a shame that those who battled away to remain there later gave up any hope of progressing their clubs by dropping down to the Welsh structure instead of the more demanding English pyramid. ( Newport and Merthyr apart)

And all for the sake of the chance of embarrassing Welsh football by quickly being knocked out in the prelims or early rounds of European competition year after year in exchange for a couple of bob.

Does anybody really think that Newport or Wrexham for example would prefer to be in the Welsh League playing in front of 350 people rather than the lower reaches of the EFL with the chance to progress further up the chain
Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 15:21 - May 16 with 2432 viewsBryanSwan

Cymru Premier/Cymru N/S on 12:03 - May 16 by BarrySwan

'I think Merthyr will be watching Colwyn Bay and how they get on for a good idea on how they'd fit the league and whether it would work for them as a club (they'd in my opinion be the biggest team in the league).'

I would hope not, they might as well pack up all together if they decide to drop down into the Welsh League.

I've played more different sports that than I care to think about over the years and there's only one thing that the participants, coaches and administrators of all of them agreed on.

You only get better by playing against better opposition.

There of course is one exception to this line of thinking. The Welsh FA who appear to think that the way forward is by playing against weaker opposition by teams dropping down to the embarrassingly low standard of the Welsh league rather than remaining and battling away in the English pyramid.

Such a shame that those who battled away to remain there later gave up any hope of progressing their clubs by dropping down to the Welsh structure instead of the more demanding English pyramid. ( Newport and Merthyr apart)

And all for the sake of the chance of embarrassing Welsh football by quickly being knocked out in the prelims or early rounds of European competition year after year in exchange for a couple of bob.

Does anybody really think that Newport or Wrexham for example would prefer to be in the Welsh League playing in front of 350 people rather than the lower reaches of the EFL with the chance to progress further up the chain

Whilst it may be the case that Wrexham and Newport are too big to join, Merthyr are not exactly a huge side and would most likely only be around the top attended teams. The quality difference between Step 4? and the Welsh league cannot be that great.

The English league system isn't everything, it would be great to see the Welsh leagues progress to the point of even being Vanarama level and being able to give the qualifiers more of a go. That is down to how the FAW decide to move forward though.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024