Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wildlife Studies part 3 13:39 - Dec 8 with 1844 viewsBoston

This morning, Lowden Ave, Somerville MA - a first, and what I believe is extremely rare, an albino squirrel. Absolutely beautiful.
We're inundated with these furry buggers, they're everywhere, cause a lot of damage. I've seen them in many shades but never white, though there are a couple of areas where I regularly spot jet black examples.
Most around here consider them vermin, rats with bushy tails, but I like them.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Wildlife Studies part 3 on 13:50 - Dec 8 with 1794 viewsR_from_afar

Interesting. I remember seeing an albino blackbird when I was young.

I bet someone asks: If it was white, how did you know it was a blackbird?

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Wildlife Studies part 3 on 13:51 - Dec 8 with 1792 viewsbollockchops

Wildlife Studies part 3 on 14:00 - Dec 8 with 1764 viewshantssi

We saw an albino squirrel when in Boston back in 2018, in the Central Park, just found a photo of it but don’t know how to post it!! 🤦‍♂️
Wildlife Studies part 3 on 14:19 - Dec 8 with 1731 viewsBoston

Wildlife Studies part 3 on 14:00 - Dec 8 by hantssi

We saw an albino squirrel when in Boston back in 2018, in the Central Park, just found a photo of it but don’t know how to post it!! 🤦‍♂️

Central Park, I presume you mean the Garden or the Common?

Wildlife Studies part 3 on 14:34 - Dec 8 with 1713 viewshantssi

Wildlife Studies part 3 on 14:19 - Dec 8 by Boston

Central Park, I presume you mean the Garden or the Common?

The big park in the middle of the city with the fountain and paddling pool, I actually typed central park but spell checker changed it to capitals!
I’ve just looked, Boston Common or Public Garden, can’t remember exactly where!
Wildlife Studies part 3 on 14:42 - Dec 8 with 1708 viewsBoston

Wildlife Studies part 3 on 14:34 - Dec 8 by hantssi

The big park in the middle of the city with the fountain and paddling pool, I actually typed central park but spell checker changed it to capitals!
I’ve just looked, Boston Common or Public Garden, can’t remember exactly where!

Public Garden sir.

Wildlife Studies part 3 on 15:18 - Dec 8 with 1663 viewshantssi

Wildlife Studies part 3 on 14:42 - Dec 8 by Boston

Public Garden sir.

Think you’re right!
Just looked on maps again, it’s a bit like the difference between Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens!
We were just strolling through and this beautiful creature just appeared in front of us, I only just had time to snap it before it shot off back up the tree!
[Post edited 8 Dec 2023 15:20]
Wildlife Studies part 3 on 17:41 - Dec 8 with 1553 viewsqpr_1968

not really into our feathered friends, especially pidgeons.
but one wild bird, london that is, stands out from the rest, and that is the jay, beautiful, elusive,and elegant.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Login to get fewer ads

Wildlife Studies part 3 on 18:24 - Dec 8 with 1523 viewsBoston

Wildlife Studies part 3 on 17:41 - Dec 8 by qpr_1968

not really into our feathered friends, especially pidgeons.
but one wild bird, london that is, stands out from the rest, and that is the jay, beautiful, elusive,and elegant.

Don't recall seeing them when I was a kid, but they'd certainly reached the back gardens of Wembley 5/6 years ago. Aside from that, the Blue Jays we have around here are spectacular, not so keen on the Blue Hooped Bothroyd though.
[Post edited 8 Dec 2023 20:16]

Wildlife Studies part 3 on 19:40 - Dec 8 with 1476 viewsHoopstar

Yeah beautiful birds Jays. See a lot of them in the woods around Haywards Heath in the Autumn.

Clever creatures. Can mimic mammals and a tonne of other birds.
Wildlife Studies part 3 on 20:08 - Dec 8 with 1455 viewsMick_S

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Wildlife Studies part 3 on 20:31 - Dec 8 with 1422 viewsderbyhoop

Jays are quite common around me. Sometimes get a spotted woodpecker at our feeding station.
Buzzards are commonplace. Predators with a squeaky voice. Going out today, one swooped down and caught something from the side of the road next to our car.

In October/November, depending on weather, we see big flocks of cranes flying south. They'll be back between Feb and April. you hear them long before you see them.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Wildlife Studies part 3 on 20:45 - Dec 8 with 1403 viewscolinallcars

Wildlife Studies part 3 on 20:31 - Dec 8 by derbyhoop

Jays are quite common around me. Sometimes get a spotted woodpecker at our feeding station.
Buzzards are commonplace. Predators with a squeaky voice. Going out today, one swooped down and caught something from the side of the road next to our car.

In October/November, depending on weather, we see big flocks of cranes flying south. They'll be back between Feb and April. you hear them long before you see them.

Cranes Flying South eh ? Reminds me of this song by Pet Clark…she's still with us despite making her first record and film just after the end of WW11 !
Wildlife Studies part 3 on 20:48 - Dec 8 with 1399 viewsqpr_1968

Wildlife Studies part 3 on 20:31 - Dec 8 by derbyhoop

i'd say outside the big cities there are common birds i've never seen.

back in the 60's or 70's i think i read the kingfisher was near to extinction in england, don't quote me on that.....but another beautiful bird, never seen one either.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Wildlife Studies part 3 on 21:14 - Dec 8 with 1378 viewsHantsR

Wildlife Studies part 3 on 20:48 - Dec 8 by qpr_1968

i'd say outside the big cities there are common birds i've never seen.

back in the 60's or 70's i think i read the kingfisher was near to extinction in england, don't quote me on that.....but another beautiful bird, never seen one either.

Guess I'm spoilt in Hampshire, especially being a keen bird photographer and angler. I see quite a few Kingfishers on the Avon and other rivers and coastal marshes in the area. I have managed some very nice photos, even got one sitting on a 'No Fishing' sign!

Birds that were once considered rare in this country are now quite common and in the last year or so, on regular walks, I've taken pictures of Spoonbills, Dartford Warblers, White-Tailed Eagle, Great White Egret and Osprey amongst many others, including of course the now ubiquitous Red Kite and Ring-neck Parakeet (even seen them flying over LR during a match!).
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024