Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Times really have changed haven’t they. 14:58 - Jan 8 with 10818 viewsloftboy

At work we have a list on a white board with the last three letters of all our vans written down,any faults are written next to them so maintenance etc can be arranged.
Next to one of them it says “loud whining noise coming from engine”. So I’ve seen this and jokingly said “ when did that van get designated as female then” ? Now been reported for sexism!

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 15:14 - Jan 8 with 6271 viewseghamranger

What’s a white board? Do you mean a dry wipe board? Lol
Times really have changed haven’t they. on 15:15 - Jan 8 with 6258 viewsnumptydumpty

🤣 🤣

Whatever you do, don't do a Benny Hill impersonation.

I work for a disabilities charity and my manager is gay and we were talking about staffs place in the Xmas period. I said to my manager, he would be the "Fairy" on top of the tree.

He knows that my sense of humour is very tongue in cheek and we get on fine and he also knows I am very against discrimination for all sorts of differences or disabilities and knows my humour is dodgy but it was taken with the fun in which it was said.

Clearly your comment is not vindocative. If colleagues so up their own backsides that a simple tongue in cheek doesn't mean you are a sexist pig. Most people can tell the difference between a sense of fun and an insult.

And if they know you not to be sexist then that's mad. Suggest might be better start looking for more inclusive employers in the real world not stuck in this PC manic world.

Hope you don't get disciplined. That would be ridiculously poor by your employers. Jobsworth !!!
[Post edited 8 Jan 15:15]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Biggest Nobhead of the year

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 15:19 - Jan 8 with 6223 viewsRangersw12

Don't want to be a dick but it is a sexist comment so I'm not surprised you have been reported

End of the day it's not the 80s anymore
[Post edited 8 Jan 15:21]
Times really have changed haven’t they. on 15:22 - Jan 8 with 6172 viewsSheffieldHoop

To quote "the philosophical footballer who could rival Cantona" (As described by the BBC, don't shoot the messenger)

"It’s only lost when you give up. When you stop fighting. Whilst the breath is in your body, resist."

Amen.

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 15:28 - Jan 8 with 6160 viewsJimthehip

I think it is very harsh to be under investigation for having what is clearly a joke. As long it's done under the context of a clear joke then I personally would say that this is wild!

Obviously I want there but I take your word for it

I would say just apologise to the person who's reported you sincerely and explain that in no way is it intended to be hurtful. If they're grown up and an adult about it they should withdraw the complaint.
Times really have changed haven’t they. on 16:03 - Jan 8 with 5999 viewsSheffieldHoop

If they're grown up and an adult about it they would never have complained in the first place. They'd have tried to see the funny side.

Weaponising jokes to tear down the people around you. Friends, family, colleagues. Encouraged in this day and age. Incentivised even. And we wonder why life has become so utterly fcking miserable. Sad.

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 16:24 - Jan 8 with 5902 viewsJimthehip

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 16:03 - Jan 8 by SheffieldHoop

If they're grown up and an adult about it they would never have complained in the first place. They'd have tried to see the funny side.

Weaponising jokes to tear down the people around you. Friends, family, colleagues. Encouraged in this day and age. Incentivised even. And we wonder why life has become so utterly fcking miserable. Sad.

Well people are miserable because of the inevitable end result of property relations that are a monopoly. This leads to the inevitable contradictions between what the country claims it is and what the material conditions of its citizens attest to what it really is.

People do misinterpret language and it isn't always sinister - this is what I mean by if they're adults about it and an apology and explanation of the intent of a joke is made that accepting that and moving on is fine.

I can't say anymore about the particular instance because I wasn't there. but it seems very unfair and I hope our fellow r is ok and not harmed by it.
Times really have changed haven’t they. on 16:36 - Jan 8 with 5836 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 15:15 - Jan 8 by numptydumpty

🤣 🤣

Whatever you do, don't do a Benny Hill impersonation.

I work for a disabilities charity and my manager is gay and we were talking about staffs place in the Xmas period. I said to my manager, he would be the "Fairy" on top of the tree.

He knows that my sense of humour is very tongue in cheek and we get on fine and he also knows I am very against discrimination for all sorts of differences or disabilities and knows my humour is dodgy but it was taken with the fun in which it was said.

Clearly your comment is not vindocative. If colleagues so up their own backsides that a simple tongue in cheek doesn't mean you are a sexist pig. Most people can tell the difference between a sense of fun and an insult.

And if they know you not to be sexist then that's mad. Suggest might be better start looking for more inclusive employers in the real world not stuck in this PC manic world.

Hope you don't get disciplined. That would be ridiculously poor by your employers. Jobsworth !!!
[Post edited 8 Jan 15:15]

Surely it's a charity for persons with disabilities.

As for your comment, you say the joke was taken well, but it's not for you to determine how a joke should be taken, it's the person who is made fun of. However, for many put into such a situation, their response isn't always a reflection of what they're actually feeling inside.

You'd do well to remember that in future and avoid being put in a similar position as the OP, who might think what he said was funny, but clearly didn't think or know that for someone, that might be offensive as it has the potential to create an environment that's hardly welcoming to women.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Login to get fewer ads

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 17:06 - Jan 8 with 5671 viewsSheffieldHoop

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 16:24 - Jan 8 by Jimthehip

Well people are miserable because of the inevitable end result of property relations that are a monopoly. This leads to the inevitable contradictions between what the country claims it is and what the material conditions of its citizens attest to what it really is.

People do misinterpret language and it isn't always sinister - this is what I mean by if they're adults about it and an apology and explanation of the intent of a joke is made that accepting that and moving on is fine.

I can't say anymore about the particular instance because I wasn't there. but it seems very unfair and I hope our fellow r is ok and not harmed by it.

I dunno. I think the "property monopoly" might pre-date the current miserable trend by a good few hundred years tbh.

On a related note, is anyone else sick of hearing 50-year-old blokes on Podcasts banging on incessantly about how great the 90's was? It sounds amazing, what did you do with it all? Where's it all gone? Why did you let it go so easily?

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 17:14 - Jan 8 with 5602 viewsHooping_Mad

All while the MET admit they cannot prosecute the law when outnumbered.

I am ashamed to pass the baton on as things stand.

Chairman of the Junior Hoilett appreciation society

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 17:33 - Jan 8 with 5501 viewsJimthehip

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 17:06 - Jan 8 by SheffieldHoop

I dunno. I think the "property monopoly" might pre-date the current miserable trend by a good few hundred years tbh.

On a related note, is anyone else sick of hearing 50-year-old blokes on Podcasts banging on incessantly about how great the 90's was? It sounds amazing, what did you do with it all? Where's it all gone? Why did you let it go so easily?

Property relations underpin everything about britain and indeed the world. If by a few hundreds years ago you mean pre dating 15-1600s Britain, a different mode by which ruling classes (indeed many of which still form the same class todays different dominant mode of production) lived off the majority was dominant. Today, the falling rate of profit necessarily maintains us in a constant boom and bust cycle where the booms die down as a function of time. We see the material reality of that everywhere in people's lack of hosing, public services, public transport, unclean water/environmental damage etc etc. Its just a natural step of the current property relations demanding the need for bigger rates of surplus extractions regardless of thr human cost.

.. and haha I'm old enough to remember the 90s as a kid. Maybe people older than me can share their lived experiences of that time as I was quite young then.
Times really have changed haven’t they. on 17:35 - Jan 8 with 5486 viewsJimthehip

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 16:36 - Jan 8 by PlanetHonneywood

As for your comment, you say the joke was taken well, but it's not for you to determine how a joke should be taken, it's the person who is made fun of. However, for many put into such a situation, their response isn't always a reflection of what they're actually feeling inside.

You'd do well to remember that in future and avoid being put in a similar position as the OP, who might think what he said was funny, but clearly didn't think or know that for someone, that might be offensive as it has the potential to create an environment that's hardly welcoming to women.

I do understand this perspective, but what if a person did sincerely apologise and it was genuinely intended as a joke?
Times really have changed haven’t they. on 18:06 - Jan 8 with 5394 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 17:35 - Jan 8 by Jimthehip

I do understand this perspective, but what if a person did sincerely apologise and it was genuinely intended as a joke?

Mitigation.

Fact is: The world of work has changed. Some might agree, some might not. But change it has and folks, especially employees, have a simple choice as a result.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 18:19 - Jan 8 with 5346 viewsloftboy

It wasnt reported , it was my female lines managers way of getting back at me!!
Got a bollocking from my mrs who hates any sort of sexism 😇
[Post edited 8 Jan 18:45]

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 18:34 - Jan 8 with 5270 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 18:19 - Jan 8 by loftboy

It wasnt reported , it was my female lines managers way of getting back at me!!
Got a bollocking from my mrs who hates any sort of sexism 😇
[Post edited 8 Jan 18:45]

Well hopefully it's a lesson learned, and your firm treats accordingly and not heavy handedly.

An apology for any offence caused may well assist. Out of interest, does your firm have standards on this in codes of conduct/carry out diversity training?

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 18:38 - Jan 8 with 5258 viewsJimthehip

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 18:06 - Jan 8 by PlanetHonneywood

Mitigation.

Fact is: The world of work has changed. Some might agree, some might not. But change it has and folks, especially employees, have a simple choice as a result.

But lets say I made a joke about men being over emotional irrational morons (which they mainly are ) I'm joking,i'm joking, I'm joking

but then someone took offence and I sincerely explained it was meant to be a joke and I didn't honestly mean to offend you, would you accept it as an apology? lets say just for you, you knew I was being sincere and I didn't mean to offend someone. Only because this does allow people to weaponise offence and use it to sort of cry bully people into accepting something that may not necessarily be fair or impartial.
Times really have changed haven’t they. on 18:44 - Jan 8 with 5245 viewsloftboy

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 18:34 - Jan 8 by PlanetHonneywood

Well hopefully it's a lesson learned, and your firm treats accordingly and not heavy handedly.

An apology for any offence caused may well assist. Out of interest, does your firm have standards on this in codes of conduct/carry out diversity training?

Probably,if they try and send me on one I’ll tell them to shove it .
[Post edited 8 Jan 18:44]

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 19:46 - Jan 8 with 5079 viewsRangersw12

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 18:44 - Jan 8 by loftboy

Probably,if they try and send me on one I’ll tell them to shove it .
[Post edited 8 Jan 18:44]

Why ?

It's the equivalent of doing a speed awareness course instead of taking the points
Times really have changed haven’t they. on 19:49 - Jan 8 with 5069 viewsloftupper

Doesn't everyone think their era was the best, for music, fashion, football etc

Much of it got taken from us rather than us letting it go, Criminal Justice Bill ended most of the parties, Sky Sports and the Premier League changed football. And then we all just got older!

Sorry to hear you are finding the current times miserable, hope things get better for you.
Times really have changed haven’t they. on 20:08 - Jan 8 with 4979 viewsJimthehip

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 17:14 - Jan 8 by Hooping_Mad

All while the MET admit they cannot prosecute the law when outnumbered.

I am ashamed to pass the baton on as things stand.

We don't need more power for the met police. They already can shut down protests, arrest people for talking freely and assault members of the public.

The police in Britain exist to protect and extend the interests of capitalists they don't exist to protect us.
Times really have changed haven’t they. on 20:26 - Jan 8 with 4905 viewsnumptydumpty

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 16:36 - Jan 8 by PlanetHonneywood

Crikey picking up on a comment written quickly.

I have worked for charities working with vulnerable adults for twenty years chap.

Or should I say a charity for people with vulnerabilities as you so cleverly point out

As for a flippant joke - the guy who is the manager is a mate - we known each other for years - he is a friend of mine - it wasnt written down - a brief moment of being a bit dodgy - he knows i have no discriminating bones in my body and often jokes with me about being pseudo queer - but guess you would be against this as well yourself.

Our charity is very welcoming to all - but you have put me in my place - well done.

Have you worked with viulnerabe people for two decades - where is your experience and knowledge with this - we quite often laugh at ourselves - its all done in good faith - but if you want to put me down as deviant - really well done..... Sometimes dark humour amongst colleagues helps as we do face some challenging situations where difficult circumstances are faced but we go to work and actually enjoy being around our colleagues and its a very inclusive workforce that has been stable for many years and we are a very tight knit group, so yes thanks for the advice planethooneywood !!!!!
[Post edited 8 Jan 20:48]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Biggest Nobhead of the year

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 20:27 - Jan 8 with 4893 viewsSheffieldHoop

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 19:49 - Jan 8 by loftupper

Doesn't everyone think their era was the best, for music, fashion, football etc

Much of it got taken from us rather than us letting it go, Criminal Justice Bill ended most of the parties, Sky Sports and the Premier League changed football. And then we all just got older!

Sorry to hear you are finding the current times miserable, hope things get better for you.

Did the pubs get taken from you as well? Who took them?

The free parties still go on. Bit more underground and a bit stabby from my experience but they do go on.

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 20:27 - Jan 8 with 4901 viewsGaryBannister86

Isn't it whatever era you happen to be in your twenties in that is the "halycon" era?

Not sure the 90s were better than anything else, but we had a very handy football team, if that helps.

Ah......Ferdinand, Oasis, Dani Behr.......better than Kelman, Taylor Swift and Mrs Kelman I would wager
Times really have changed haven’t they. on 20:28 - Jan 8 with 4885 viewsSheffieldHoop

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 20:26 - Jan 8 by numptydumpty

Crikey picking up on a comment written quickly.

I have worked for charities working with vulnerable adults for twenty years chap.

Or should I say a charity for people with vulnerabilities as you so cleverly point out

As for a flippant joke - the guy who is the manager is a mate - we known each other for years - he is a friend of mine - it wasnt written down - a brief moment of being a bit dodgy - he knows i have no discriminating bones in my body and often jokes with me about being pseudo queer - but guess you would be against this as well yourself.

Our charity is very welcoming to all - but you have put me in my place - well done.

Have you worked with viulnerabe people for two decades - where is your experience and knowledge with this - we quite often laugh at ourselves - its all done in good faith - but if you want to put me down as deviant - really well done..... Sometimes dark humour amongst colleagues helps as we do face some challenging situations where difficult circumstances are faced but we go to work and actually enjoy being around our colleagues and its a very inclusive workforce that has been stable for many years and we are a very tight knit group, so yes thanks for the advice planethooneywood !!!!!
[Post edited 8 Jan 20:48]

My dad lost both legs beneath the knee, and later on a few of his fingers. The banter at his disability user groups was top.

Edit - Wouldn't usually do this as I find it all a bit phoney online, but as somebody has had a dig, I'll take this chance to thank you for all your work helping people living with disabilities. Respect.
[Post edited 8 Jan 20:31]

Times really have changed haven’t they. on 20:38 - Jan 8 with 4799 viewsted_hendrix

This MB gets tougher by the day to read.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024