Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
FAO waYne,Rocky and Prof 15:07 - Oct 24 with 2956 viewswhoflungdung

Aldo wine.

Now, just been in local store and see La Oragara ,Amerone at £12.99 which seems excessive for a Valpolicella. The excellent Valpolicella in the Exquisite Collection is £8.99 so Im simply wondering if its worth paying the extra as I d be buying about 12 bottles .

The wine is made by a unique method of storing the grapes from Sept to January in oak barrels then on to the wine making process.

I know £12.99 is small change to some but for pensioners in bin dipping land its a fair chunk of pension money.

THE REALLY BAD NEWS IS Chateauneuf du Pape is £16.when last year it was £10.99.

Thanks

Poll: Is it Spa or spa

FAO waYne,Rocky and Prof on 15:53 - Oct 24 with 2933 viewsProfessor

Not my thing Amarone-too sweet and rich (although I like desert whites like Sauternes). Made from semi-dried grapes. I find a few Aldi reds a bit sweet, so not a wine for me. No reviews on the current vintage, but the 2011 got some recommendations a few years back.

Decanter online (free access) has reviews of current Aldi wines it recommends including the Chateauneuf. Some good Languedoc wines from the Mas estate too.

Worth having a look in Majestic in West Kirby too-not so cheap but excellent range and helpful staff.
FAO waYne,Rocky and Prof on 16:08 - Oct 24 with 2926 viewsWarwickHunt

Amarone sweet? I've never had one that wasn't dry and full-bodied. Subjective I suppose...

Rich, try a bottle before you risk a case. If you like big reds you can't go wrong with an Amarone at that price.
FAO waYne,Rocky and Prof on 16:13 - Oct 24 with 2923 viewswhoflungdung

Ok ,butt.

I ll take your advice

Now, portmanteau ?

Poll: Is it Spa or spa

FAO waYne,Rocky and Prof on 16:17 - Oct 24 with 2921 viewsWarwickHunt

FAO waYne,Rocky and Prof on 16:13 - Oct 24 by whoflungdung

Ok ,butt.

I ll take your advice

Now, portmanteau ?

Never been there...
FAO waYne,Rocky and Prof on 16:33 - Oct 24 with 2907 viewsProfessor

FAO waYne,Rocky and Prof on 16:08 - Oct 24 by WarwickHunt

Amarone sweet? I've never had one that wasn't dry and full-bodied. Subjective I suppose...

Rich, try a bottle before you risk a case. If you like big reds you can't go wrong with an Amarone at that price.

I find it too jammy-same with some other 'big' reds-not to my taste. Prefer something a bit lighter. Still as you say worth a punt.
FAO waYne,Rocky and Prof on 16:45 - Oct 24 with 2897 viewsProfessor

Warwick

it has 9g/l residual sugar-whereas Iron Horse Shiraz (more my thing) is 0.47. So dry but with a lot more residual sugar than I enjoy. As you said down to taste and sweet for me in a red.

The 'Animus' Douro would also be worth trying-again a bit rich for me but a good wine for under a fiver. Online service is good too.
FAO waYne,Rocky and Prof on 19:15 - Oct 24 with 2853 viewsWarwickHunt

FAO waYne,Rocky and Prof on 16:45 - Oct 24 by Professor

Warwick

it has 9g/l residual sugar-whereas Iron Horse Shiraz (more my thing) is 0.47. So dry but with a lot more residual sugar than I enjoy. As you said down to taste and sweet for me in a red.

The 'Animus' Douro would also be worth trying-again a bit rich for me but a good wine for under a fiver. Online service is good too.

I'll give it a go, thanks.

Jip Jip Rocks - an Aussie Shiraz is my go to red these days. £12 when not on offer but still a bargain.

McGuigan Family Release Shiraz is a third off in Waitrose at the moment - great value at £6.
FAO waYne,Rocky and Prof on 19:53 - Oct 24 with 2838 viewsWxmJax

Tried the Grande Albarone Zinfandel last night from the platinum collection. I think it was £4 for a half bottle and was nice. Also bought a bottle of MAS Grenache Noir. So so last night but tastes better now. Can also recommend the Rías Baixas Albariño white if you can find any.

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

Login to get fewer ads

FAO waYne,Rocky and Prof on 02:32 - Oct 25 with 2801 viewsDJack

FAO waYne,Rocky and Prof on 16:45 - Oct 24 by Professor

Warwick

Based on your previous comments I tried the Animus, Iron Horse and the 80 Acres. The Animus I enjoyed and the other two I will try again (not overly fussed first time round but worth a revisit to see if my taste buds adapt) . Many thanks!

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

FAO waYne,Rocky and Prof on 09:50 - Oct 25 with 2756 viewsProfessor

FAO waYne,Rocky and Prof on 19:15 - Oct 24 by WarwickHunt

I'll give it a go, thanks.

Jip Jip Rocks - an Aussie Shiraz is my go to red these days. £12 when not on offer but still a bargain.

McGuigan Family Release Shiraz is a third off in Waitrose at the moment - great value at £6.

Got a few Jip Jip when on offer at Waitrose=excellent wine
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024