Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Heathrow's 3rd runway 17:54 - Oct 19 with 1965 viewsPrivate_Partz

Heard on the news that there is an extra runway in place that could serve the London area.
Its at Gatwick. it is only used when there are problems on the main runway.
it would appear billions could be saved by just using this facility on a regular basis. Apparently there are plans to open it up fully anyway in the future.
Bloody madness it seems.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Heathrow's 3rd runway on 18:08 - Oct 19 with 1940 viewsSwanzay

The current "2nd" at Gatwick is to close to the main runway, they would have to move it.....
Heathrow's 3rd runway on 18:21 - Oct 19 with 1928 viewsCountyJim

You watch the money will go to Kardiff
Heathrow's 3rd runway on 18:22 - Oct 19 with 1926 viewsPrivate_Partz

Heathrow's 3rd runway on 18:08 - Oct 19 by Swanzay

The current "2nd" at Gatwick is to close to the main runway, they would have to move it.....

Make it a dual carriageway then ;-)
Seriously though how can they contemplate using it full time if that is the case? I think they may even have been talking about doing it as early as 2020. Could be wrong on that date though.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Heathrow's 3rd runway on 19:44 - Oct 19 with 1875 viewsSwanzay

Heathrow's 3rd runway on 18:22 - Oct 19 by Private_Partz

Make it a dual carriageway then ;-)
Seriously though how can they contemplate using it full time if that is the case? I think they may even have been talking about doing it as early as 2020. Could be wrong on that date though.

When it was originally built way back, they had no idea of the size of todays aircraft, if memory serves me correct it was built during the war.
Its currently used as the main taxi way to function the main and only runway. In its current guise it simply cannot be used....
Im a bit of an aviation geek...
Heathrow's 3rd runway on 20:12 - Oct 19 with 1867 viewsPrivate_Partz

Heathrow's 3rd runway on 19:44 - Oct 19 by Swanzay

When it was originally built way back, they had no idea of the size of todays aircraft, if memory serves me correct it was built during the war.
Its currently used as the main taxi way to function the main and only runway. In its current guise it simply cannot be used....

Cool. Be interesting if you can find out whether the plan to make it a full time runway is on. I def heard it on the radio.
I am no geek bit I would have thought developing that runway and improving links to London would be cheaper and cause less disruption than the current proposal.

Heathrow's 3rd runway on 20:28 - Oct 19 with 1859 viewsSwanzay

Heathrow's 3rd runway on 20:12 - Oct 19 by Private_Partz

Cool. Be interesting if you can find out whether the plan to make it a full time runway is on. I def heard it on the radio.
I am no geek bit I would have thought developing that runway and improving links to London would be cheaper and cause less disruption than the current proposal.

It simply cannot be used as a 2nd runway in its current form, one runway would have to move, wing tips, safety access etc!
Heathrow's 3rd runway on 20:50 - Oct 19 with 1841 viewsPrivate_Partz

Heathrow's 3rd runway on 20:28 - Oct 19 by Swanzay

It simply cannot be used as a 2nd runway in its current form, one runway would have to move, wing tips, safety access etc!

Point taken. I am just wondering what moves are afoot.

Edit: The Independant and the Guardian are running with the story. £500m to widen the second runway increasing capacity to almost match Heathrow.
Surely that would reduce the need for a third runway at Heathrow.
[Post edited 19 Oct 2018 20:56]

Heathrow's 3rd runway on 12:46 - Oct 21 with 1711 viewscontroversial_jack

Heathrow's 3rd runway on 19:44 - Oct 19 by Swanzay

Aircraft are actually getting smaller, ate Airbus A380 and Boeing 747 as slowly being phased out, especially the 747, and not many A380 are being sold, with the exception of Emirates.Just thought i'd mention this
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024