Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
You Should Read This Article for Two Very Good Reasons 21:27 - Nov 10 with 613 viewsDavillin

Whether you will agree with some, none, or all of this article, it has two pointed tales to tell that relate to Swansea City.

1. How and why we're doing well.

2. Why the argument that we need/investment/to compete is terminally specious.

Please read on ->

Good Housekeeping Benefits Premier League’s Unexpected High Flyers
Barney Ronay

Well, that went quickly. With the Premier League season 11 matches old and parked within the natural hiatus of a two-game international break, it is just about possible — with all due caveats and boilerplate bandwagon-avoidance clauses — to pick out some of the dominant rhythms so far.

It is of course an indication of the feudal nature of English football’s top tier that the presence of Southampton, West Ham, Swansea City and Stoke City in the top nine of the Premier League should be noteworthy. Just as there is no reason why the success of the alternative big four should have any real connection to the relative stodginess of Arsenal, Liverpool and Manchester United — while not forgetting, of course, Manchester City’s fretful title defence, or the familiar enigmatic (ie bafflingly hopeless) attempts to build a functioning Tottenham Hotspur team who do not almost immediately fall to pieces.

And yet it is hard to avoid the conclusion something can be learned from the success of a clutch of well-managed teams, at least in part as a chastening counterpoint to the struggles of the better-resourced and the more obviously flaky.

Southampton are the star turn with eight victories from their first 11 matches, having lost a manager and half a team in the close season. Whatever happens from here it is a brilliantly unruffled piece of emergency piloting from Ronald Koeman, who has righted his ailing passenger jet, reset the navigation computer and extinguished a fire in the wing without drawing breath. Credit above all should go to the existing structures — fine scouting system, excellent academy, patient fans — within the club.

Two places below Southampton, West Ham are in fourth having spent no more than £16m net in the summer. Swansea are fifth having spent even less. While Stoke are ninth, just above Everton, Liverpool and Tottenham.

There is an obvious temptation to see this early season success as a kind of rebuke to those Premier League clubs where the art of team-building appears to have disappeared, replaced instead by the tendency to hurl a group of expensively-sourced players at a wall and hope some of them stick. By way of example, and Liverpool are by no means alone — of 13 outfield players used in Liverpool’s defeat by Chelsea at Anfield, six had less than 12 first-team starts. There is simply too much flux, too many new dawns, a big money brittleness that undoubtedly speaks to the failure of English clubs to compete as they might against the best in Europe over the last few seasons.

And yet this does not explain the relative success of the mid-range four. Southampton have nine new players this season, as do West Ham, while Stoke and Swansea feature new faces. There are some differences though. For a start all four have relatively settled, relatively well-stocked defences. As Gary Neville has pointed out it was once self-evident teams should be built from the back but this is clearly less the case at more high-profile clubs where there is pressure to make star signings and play with a certain brand-building style. This may simply be coincidence but United, Arsenal and Liverpool all have porous, poorly resourced backlines propping up a gaudily-assembled frontline.

Beyond the virtues of basic team building, there is perhaps also the question of pressure. At times it feels as though these is a kind of shared neuroses running through some of the more ambitious teams. The expectation of success is simply too broad: Tottenham, Liverpool, United, City and Arsenal are all, to varying degrees, suffering from a sense of falling short, of trapped ambition. All four of the season’s overachievers are in the bottom 10 when it comes to average home attendances, clubs for whom staying in the division is success, anything more a bonus. There will always be flux, but how much easier for new players to settle at a club where expectations are dampened, attention less forensically intense.

Beyond this all four of the Premier League’s semi-famous four have at least one quality each that fans of the division’s fretful big-spenders may envy. Swansea are well run and sustainably owned. Southampton have the best youth system in the top tier. Stoke have had two managers in eight years. Meanwhile West Ham — forget the haters, Big Sam — have a manager who knows how to organise a defence and has a knack of buying well in attack.

This is in itself another point of strength. Beyond the financially incontinent it is still necessary to be creative: to scout and buy well, to source potential as much as existing star wattage. Southampton, Stoke and West Ham all have their own nominees for the signing of the season, while Manchester City, United, Liverpool and Tottenham all look to have spent if not poorly then with a giddy, scattergun intent.

Little wonder, perhaps, Chelsea find themselves talked up after 11 games as champions-elect simply by being functional, balanced and strong: or rather not dysfunctional, not unbalanced and not weak — the most obviously not un-good of the Premier League’s heavy hitters — while the story of the season so far lies elsewhere, in the success of the Premier League’s buoyant mid-rankers. Southampton, West Ham and Swansea will not all be in the top five at the season’s end but their success so far presents an example of how, even among the hot-housed inanities of the Premier League, a little good housekeeping can still go a long way.
[Post edited 10 Nov 2014 21:28]

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

You Should Read This Article for Two Very Good Reasons on 21:35 - Nov 10 with 575 viewslonglostjack

What a timely article. I do hope that Huw and the Board have read it and that it will encourage them to continue their excellent work to date.

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

You Should Read This Article for Two Very Good Reasons on 21:35 - Nov 10 with 574 viewsjack247

From a fans point of view, it's an absolute no brainer. We can feasibly compete for a top 10 position year in year out. To get to a level where we can sustainably compete for top 4 would take ridiculous investment. It's almost impossible to imagine us getting to that level, so we are all understandably happy with the club being run as it is.

From the point of view of a shareholder who could effectively win the lottery by selling some shares, it's a much more attractive proposition.
You Should Read This Article for Two Very Good Reasons on 21:47 - Nov 10 with 535 viewslonglostjack

You Should Read This Article for Two Very Good Reasons on 21:35 - Nov 10 by jack247

From a fans point of view, it's an absolute no brainer. We can feasibly compete for a top 10 position year in year out. To get to a level where we can sustainably compete for top 4 would take ridiculous investment. It's almost impossible to imagine us getting to that level, so we are all understandably happy with the club being run as it is.

From the point of view of a shareholder who could effectively win the lottery by selling some shares, it's a much more attractive proposition.

On the other hand the directors are also fans and custodians of the club as they've repeatedly stated, so perhaps it's not as clear cut as you suggest ?

You Should Read This Article for Two Very Good Reasons on 21:48 - Nov 10 with 523 viewsDavillin

You Should Read This Article for Two Very Good Reasons on 21:35 - Nov 10 by longlostjack

What a timely article. I do hope that Huw and the Board have read it and that it will encourage them to continue their excellent work to date.

"It's easier to break into a Bank of England vault than into a closed mind." Dav

You Should Read This Article for Two Very Good Reasons on 21:58 - Nov 10 with 483 viewsjack247

You Should Read This Article for Two Very Good Reasons on 21:47 - Nov 10 by longlostjack

On the other hand the directors are also fans and custodians of the club as they've repeatedly stated, so perhaps it's not as clear cut as you suggest ?

I agree. I don't know how much remuneration we are talking about here, but I am a fan too and if I was offered a couple of million quid it would certainly be something I would consider.
You Should Read This Article for Two Very Good Reasons on 22:03 - Nov 10 with 461 viewsDavillin

You Should Read This Article for Two Very Good Reasons on 21:58 - Nov 10 by jack247

I agree. I don't know how much remuneration we are talking about here, but I am a fan too and if I was offered a couple of million quid it would certainly be something I would consider.

"Principle never pays. It always costs." Dav

Sometimes the cost is paid in money.

You Should Read This Article for Two Very Good Reasons on 22:05 - Nov 10 with 456 viewslonglostjack

You Should Read This Article for Two Very Good Reasons on 21:48 - Nov 10 by Davillin

"It's easier to break into a Bank of England vault than into a closed mind." Dav

"Hope springs eternal"

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024