Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Centre Back 12:21 - Aug 23 with 3958 viewsAussieSwan

Assuming Bartley is out for months rather than weeks (and lets hope he isn't)... but if he is, we're gonna need another centre back in the squad. We cannot rely purely on VDH, Fernandez and Mawson.

Loan signing would be the "highest quality for lowest outlay" option... Mamadou Sakho would fit the bill perfectly IMO.

I'm sure there'd be other CB's we could loan from other big clubs as well - is Neven Subotic still available? Kurt Zouma would've been great if he hadn't already gone to Stoke.

I'd love to see us grab Ben Gibson on a permanent deal but he won't come cheap and we have other issues requiring our money being spent elsewhere

Alternatively, we could recall Amat out of sheer desperation and being tight on the purse strings again. I'm not a fan of this but it is an option.

What do you guys think we should do?

Poll: If we're going to sign another defender...

Centre Back on 12:43 - Aug 23 with 3905 viewslondonlisa2001

Think Amat is on a season long loan isn't he, in which case I don't think we can recall. (Thankfully in my view, as I don't think he's up to it although he's probably better than VDH).
Centre Back on 12:47 - Aug 23 with 3889 viewstheloneranger

Centre Back on 12:43 - Aug 23 by londonlisa2001

Think Amat is on a season long loan isn't he, in which case I don't think we can recall. (Thankfully in my view, as I don't think he's up to it although he's probably better than VDH).

Amat is getting splinters in his arse at Real Betis at the mo!!

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Centre Back on 14:07 - Aug 23 with 3745 viewsexiledinenglandjack

Centre Back on 12:43 - Aug 23 by londonlisa2001

It depends on the agreement, however if any money has been involved, which I suspect here, I highly doubt the recall option is available
Centre Back on 15:13 - Aug 23 with 3650 viewsgazza_1234

Heard Chico is on his way back. Free transfer
Centre Back on 15:50 - Aug 23 with 3544 viewsJackSomething

We're unable to sign a decent replacement for Gylfi despite knowing for months that he'd almost certainly be leaving. Now you think we'll be looking at a player as good as Sakho, Subotic or Gibson if Bartley is ruled out? Loving your optimism mate, but I doubt we'll sign anybody at centre back and even if we do, it won't be such a high profile arrival as they'd be an emergency cover signing only.

Mad as it is to say it, Chico is more likely than any of those you've named, not that I think we'll sign Chico either.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Centre Back on 15:56 - Aug 23 with 3536 viewsu_cant_get_rid_of_me

Sakho -30m so not gonna happen.

Gibson - 20m+ probably also not gonna happen.

I'm sure Huw will have spotted a fine centre half playing his trade with Falkirk for a princely 5m and that's what we'll end up with.
Centre Back on 16:24 - Aug 23 with 3468 viewsPawelAbbott

Sadly Chico is the most likely recruit.
Centre Back on 21:12 - Aug 23 with 3277 viewscaerleon_jack

Centre Back on 16:24 - Aug 23 by PawelAbbott

Sadly Chico is the most likely recruit.

For all his faults, Chico was a very under-rated defender, and I'd be more than happy to have him back.

Insert something witty here

Login to get fewer ads

Centre Back on 21:35 - Aug 23 with 3225 viewssomersetsimon

Didn't Kingsley once play as the left of 3 CBs?
Oh...
Centre Back on 21:40 - Aug 23 with 3200 viewsraynor94

Centre Back on 21:35 - Aug 23 by somersetsimon

Didn't Kingsley once play as the left of 3 CBs?
Oh...

Oh... He wasn't good enough we need an upgrade

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Centre Back on 05:00 - Aug 24 with 3046 viewsAussieSwan

Centre Back on 15:56 - Aug 23 by u_cant_get_rid_of_me

Sakho -30m so not gonna happen.

Gibson - 20m+ probably also not gonna happen.

I'm sure Huw will have spotted a fine centre half playing his trade with Falkirk for a princely 5m and that's what we'll end up with.

You are right mate, but Sakho I was only suggesting as a loan, like how he went to Palace last season. He is probably the best quality available for the lowest price

Centre Back on 04:25 - Aug 25 with 2877 viewsAussieSwan

Going off Clement's recent comments it looks as if we are sticking with what we've got and promoting Joe Rodon to 4th choice. God help us if FF or Mawson get injured...

I'm still adamant a loan signing or free agent would be beneficial to the squad in case of an emergency. But the brains trust and our holy DOF will once again be too slow to make any moves here

Centre Back on 06:14 - Aug 25 with 2850 viewsjack247

Centre Back on 21:12 - Aug 23 by caerleon_jack

For all his faults, Chico was a very under-rated defender, and I'd be more than happy to have him back.

If he comes back, it's pretty much proof that Clement doesn't have a lot of say in transfers. He had a lot of strengths, but positional discipline and concentration weren't amongst them. Not a Clement player at all.
Centre Back on 11:22 - Aug 25 with 2770 viewscaerleon_jack

Centre Back on 06:14 - Aug 25 by jack247

If he comes back, it's pretty much proof that Clement doesn't have a lot of say in transfers. He had a lot of strengths, but positional discipline and concentration weren't amongst them. Not a Clement player at all.

Personally, I think he'd do well in a three with Fernandez and Mawson, and PC is surely used to dealing with 'characters' from his days as Ancelotti's no2.

I agree though, it would be a sign that HJ is still fully in control of recruitment.

Insert something witty here

Centre Back on 11:59 - Aug 25 with 2746 viewsjack247

Centre Back on 11:22 - Aug 25 by caerleon_jack

Personally, I think he'd do well in a three with Fernandez and Mawson, and PC is surely used to dealing with 'characters' from his days as Ancelotti's no2.

I agree though, it would be a sign that HJ is still fully in control of recruitment.

I don't think his character would be much of an issue. If anything we need someone with a bit of spirit. He just has a tendency to switch off and get caught out of position though. We were so structured and well drilled until the subs against United and I don't see him fitting into that. I don't mind him as a player, just don't think he is the type Clement would sign.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024