By continuing to use the site, you agree to our use of cookies and to abide by our Terms and Conditions. We in turn value your personal details in accordance with our Privacy Policy.
Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
On a side note, the site of that battle is well worth a visit. When I was there in 2018 there was a brand new visitor centre and very informative museum, all completely free. I felt moved standing on the hill above the plain and contemplating the fact that around 50,000 Romans were killed in Hannibal's pincer movement, in just one day.
My table tennis mate is an 'Ammers fan - odd because he is as Scottish as they come - and he is confidently predicting a 3-1 win for his team. I reckon 1-1.
I think this explains the connection: "The orange and blue colour palette of the shirt is inspired by the distinctive floorboards featured on the cover of his acclaimed 1970 solo album The Madcap Laughs".
Very wisely, Mrs R from Afar limited my involvement in the logistics of our wedding day to a) turning up and b) choosing the names of the themed tables at the reception.
Naturally, I lowered the tone by insisting that they all be QPR related . Imagine how enthralled Great Uncle Bob and Great Auntie Nina from Helensburgh (it's in Scotland, near where my wife was born) were to be sitting at a table named after a mysterious "celebrity" called Paul Furlong .
It was worth risking the ire of the new in-laws, though, just to be able to assign one of my best mates and his wife to the Barry Silkman table: At the time, they were related to him by marriage and were impressed by the dedication.
Call me a pedant - and I resemble that remark - but I need to interject on two points:
- Re Scotland, absolutely, the dominance of Rangers and Celtic is spirit crushing for the locals who support other teams *but* the last SPL season was a belter, with the title going to the very last game, a straight shootout between Hearts and Celtic, with Rangers having also pushed them hard most of the campaign.
- Re Italian football, again, what you say is a very fair summation, but Atalanta did absolutely hammer Bayer Leverkusen in the 2024 Europa League final.
Kiss covered Argent guitarist Russ Ballard's "God gave rock and roll to you," dropping the reference to Cliff Richard (!). I can imagine them producing a very questionable reworking of this .
I saw it in France while doing my modern languages degree, I thought it was tremendous.
A few months later, by chance, I ended up living a few hundred metres from another massive and impressive tapestry, The Apocalypse Tapestry. It is displayed in the chateau at Angers, in the Loire Valley: