Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
All the monies we generate from selling players will be reinvested in the squad 23:17 - Aug 31 with 2865 viewsPatfromPoole

So said Semmens at the Forum a few weeks ago.

I didn’t imagine this, did I?

Poll: If we win a play-off semi at St. Mary’s should there be a pitch invasion?

All the monies we generate from selling players will be reinvested in the squad on 23:26 - Aug 31 with 2362 viewsTimSaint

Cue the Reedesque explanations that wages need to be taken into account, in addition to the transfer fees.

TimSaint

All the monies we generate from selling players will be reinvested in the squad on 23:33 - Aug 31 with 2350 viewsPatfromPoole

All the monies we generate from selling players will be reinvested in the squad on 23:26 - Aug 31 by TimSaint

Cue the Reedesque explanations that wages need to be taken into account, in addition to the transfer fees.

Plus signing-on fees, agents’ fees etc etc…..

All the monies we generate from selling players will be reinvested in the squad on 23:33 - Aug 31 with 2349 viewsBicester_North

Would expect all the rest to be reinvested in January then when we’ve got a few injuries…

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

All the monies we generate from selling players will be reinvested in the squad on 23:51 - Aug 31 with 2333 viewsButty101

All the monies we generate from selling players will be reinvested in the squad on 23:33 - Aug 31 by Bicester_North

Would expect all the rest to be reinvested in January then when we’ve got a few injuries…

We must have 15mill (with obami going) to play with.
Mine gripe is why the cheap skating on a centre back . A decent centre back and it would have been a season of comfort. Instead it’s going to be a season of struggle as we concede 2 every week.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

All the monies we generate from selling players will be reinvested in the squad on 00:39 - Sep 1 with 2286 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

All the monies we generate from selling players will be reinvested in the squad on 23:33 - Aug 31 by Bicester_North

That was my thought as well - the strategy is "get to January and there is money if we need it"

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

All the monies we generate from selling players will be reinvested in the squad on 08:21 - Sep 1 with 2140 viewsSadoldgit

8 players in and still people are unhappy? There must have been a lot of miserable faces on Christmas Day every year when you lot were kids. We have four new defenders, two of whom we haven’t seen play yet. If we get to January and we are having problems can you imagine the grief here if we had no money to make changes? We needed to get more depth to the squad which is what we have. We needed to replace Ings and Vestergaard. We have. I’m not sure what more the club can do to make people happy.
All the monies we generate from selling players will be reinvested in the squad on 09:01 - Sep 1 with 2108 viewsSonicBoom

I think we've done pretty well overall but I still think we are going to miss Ing's goals. There is a lot of pressure on Armstrong now because with the best will in the world the rest of our attacking players are frankly woeful in front of goal.
Djenepo ? He started well but he's shown that he struggles to finish.
Walcott has never been a great finisher, same with Redmond. Adams has some great qualities but taking chances is not among them although he always looks capable. Stuart Armstrong has the potential but I don't see him suddenly stepping up and scoring 8 to 10 a season. Anyway..... point is Adam Armstrong is really the only out and out striker we have and we need him to deliver.

The rest of the recruits look good and we did well to get them. I do understand the frustration around the centre back. We've struggled there for several years and yet again we don't seem to have addressed it. We've bought in a guy with credentials that are no more impressive than what we already have and on paper a downgrade on Vestergaard.
But let's see. Maybe we've pulled a rabbit from the hat and the guy deserves a fair crack before we pass judgement. He does love an Instagram post posing around though so let's hope he's not another Lemina.
I feared for us this year, but now I'm pretty confident we will be ok and possibly surprise a few people. I really look forward to watching livramento progress as that lad looks special.
All the monies we generate from selling players will be reinvested in the squad on 09:18 - Sep 1 with 2086 viewsRon11

All the monies we generate from selling players will be reinvested in the squad on 09:01 - Sep 1 by SonicBoom

I think we've done pretty well overall but I still think we are going to miss Ing's goals. There is a lot of pressure on Armstrong now because with the best will in the world the rest of our attacking players are frankly woeful in front of goal.
Djenepo ? He started well but he's shown that he struggles to finish.
Walcott has never been a great finisher, same with Redmond. Adams has some great qualities but taking chances is not among them although he always looks capable. Stuart Armstrong has the potential but I don't see him suddenly stepping up and scoring 8 to 10 a season. Anyway..... point is Adam Armstrong is really the only out and out striker we have and we need him to deliver.

The rest of the recruits look good and we did well to get them. I do understand the frustration around the centre back. We've struggled there for several years and yet again we don't seem to have addressed it. We've bought in a guy with credentials that are no more impressive than what we already have and on paper a downgrade on Vestergaard.
But let's see. Maybe we've pulled a rabbit from the hat and the guy deserves a fair crack before we pass judgement. He does love an Instagram post posing around though so let's hope he's not another Lemina.
I feared for us this year, but now I'm pretty confident we will be ok and possibly surprise a few people. I really look forward to watching livramento progress as that lad looks special.

Livramento does indeed look special.
So we had better enjoy his talents while he's still here...
Login to get fewer ads

All the monies we generate from selling players will be reinvested in the squad on 09:23 - Sep 1 with 2075 viewsButty101

All the monies we generate from selling players will be reinvested in the squad on 08:21 - Sep 1 by Sadoldgit

8 players in and still people are unhappy? There must have been a lot of miserable faces on Christmas Day every year when you lot were kids. We have four new defenders, two of whom we haven’t seen play yet. If we get to January and we are having problems can you imagine the grief here if we had no money to make changes? We needed to get more depth to the squad which is what we have. We needed to replace Ings and Vestergaard. We have. I’m not sure what more the club can do to make people happy.

When you say we have signed 8, you are including Oli Lancashire who will never play for the first team. Two others that are youth signings and won’t be near the first team.
Of the other 5, they are all a down grade on Betrand,Vestguard and Ings. Factor in last years reserve centre back pairing is now first choice and our new left back has already been dropped, it doesn’t bode well.
On the bright side Newcastle, Norwich and Watford look worse than us.

All the monies we generate from selling players will be reinvested in the squad on 09:35 - Sep 1 with 2058 viewsSaintsforeverj

https://mobile.twitter.com/fessdoc/status/1432981581132599297/photo/1

Poll: Would you like Ings to come back?

All the monies we generate from selling players will be reinvested in the squad on 10:18 - Sep 1 with 2006 viewsBison

All the monies we generate from selling players will be reinvested in the squad on 08:21 - Sep 1 by Sadoldgit

'8 players in and still people are unhappy? '

But 18 players left so we are basically 10 players less than before the window with a profit of £25,000,000.

I am willing to give the team a bit of time SoG's and think we have some potential and hopefully wont be fighting a relegation battle but if you look at the basic numbers I can see why some fans are not happy and we do seem very thin in some areas.

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

All the monies we generate from selling players will be reinvested in the squad on 11:15 - Sep 1 with 1968 viewsBerber

All the monies we generate from selling players will be reinvested in the squad on 09:23 - Sep 1 by Butty101

When you say we have signed 8, you are including Oli Lancashire who will never play for the first team. Two others that are youth signings and won’t be near the first team.
Of the other 5, they are all a down grade on Betrand,Vestguard and Ings. Factor in last years reserve centre back pairing is now first choice and our new left back has already been dropped, it doesn’t bode well.

When you look at the history of outs and ins, it hardly ever looks like we have upgraded until they are good enough to sell on. It is the nature of develop to sell.
All the monies we generate from selling players will be reinvested in the squad on 11:52 - Sep 1 with 1936 viewsDorsetIan

I don't think it's been a 'great' window and the net spend stat speaks for itself but Armstrong and Livramento definitely look the part and Perraud seems OK too.

Broja got his two goals against Newport but he looked pretty raw to me. He's big though so might give us something a bit different in the box sometimes.

The others I don't think we've seen yet, so who knows. Hopefully the new guy from Italy will be a solid defender.

A lot is going to depend on whether Elyounnoussi can continue to shine and whether one of Redmond or Djenepo can start scoring or creating chances. Big role for Tella this year too.

Some reasons to be cautiously hopeful but we'll just have to see.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

All the monies we generate from selling players will be reinvested in the squad on 12:27 - Sep 1 with 1911 viewsdirk_doone

To be fair, there is an element of Moneyball to what we do. Before, we used to buy good players with poor injury records, like Ings, because they were undervalued. Now, we are mopping up young players from the big clubs, who want first team football, like Livramento.

We won't know how successful this window has been until we've seen the new players in a few games. At the moment, it looks a bit like we've strengthened in areas where we were already strong but not in areas where we were weak. One of those could be addressed if Lyanco proves to be better than Stephens or Bednarek. The online evidence suggests he probably won't be but let's hope they've unearthed a gem. The goalkeeper situation is the major concern and as it's a position that has such a big influence on results, you really have to wonder why it hasn't been sorted out. Personally, I'd have let McCarthy go on a free transfer, if anyone would take him, and brought Hrádecký in.
[Post edited 1 Sep 2021 13:47]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

All the monies we generate from selling players will be reinvested in the squad on 13:14 - Sep 1 with 1875 viewsCity_boy

We are still short of quality in the centre back positions, which is where we look vulnerable. This is not new - we have known this for a few years now. Very disappointed we didn't address the problem in this window.
All the monies we generate from selling players will be reinvested in the squad on 14:10 - Sep 1 with 1841 viewsSadoldgit

All the monies we generate from selling players will be reinvested in the squad on 10:18 - Sep 1 by Bison

'8 players in and still people are unhappy? '

But 18 players left so we are basically 10 players less than before the window with a profit of £25,000,000.

I am willing to give the team a bit of time SoG's and think we have some potential and hopefully wont be fighting a relegation battle but if you look at the basic numbers I can see why some fans are not happy and we do seem very thin in some areas.

You may be right Bison, but I think we ought to see how things pan out before we write the changes off as unsuccessful. We haven’t even seen the new CB yet.
All the monies we generate from selling players will be reinvested in the squad on 16:55 - Sep 1 with 1745 views1teeminants

All the monies we generate from selling players will be reinvested in the squad on 09:23 - Sep 1 by Butty101

You can be negative and defeatist I prefer the other way

Excellent window. Livramento , voted best Chelsea acadamy player last season , one of the best kids I’ve ever seen, another one on loan Broja who scored 10 goals in 30 games on loan with Chelsea last time , already scored 2 for us. There’s there’s Perraud who was voted best left back in France by fans, Armstrong who scored 28 goals in the championship last season already bagged one here. Highly sort after Thierry Small. Saints are buying excellent kids from top sides who don’t want to sit on the bench they are hungry it’s a win win situation . Let’s be positive 👍

Poll: Would you take an Fa Cup win if it meant relegation to the championship ?

All the monies we generate from selling players will be reinvested in the squad on 17:21 - Sep 1 with 1708 viewsI_would

All the monies we generate from selling players will be reinvested in the squad on 23:51 - Aug 31 by Butty101

We must have 15mill (with obami going) to play with.
Mine gripe is why the cheap skating on a centre back . A decent centre back and it would have been a season of comfort. Instead it’s going to be a season of struggle as we concede 2 every week.

What's wrong with three CB's? We ship less goals with three but I don't think Ralph will change, he seems happy conceding 2-3 per game.

Poll: How many players should RH play at the back on Saturday?

All the monies we generate from selling players will be reinvested in the squad on 20:17 - Sep 1 with 1612 viewsButty101

All the monies we generate from selling players will be reinvested in the squad on 16:55 - Sep 1 by 1teeminants

You can be negative and defeatist I prefer the other way

Excellent window. Livramento , voted best Chelsea acadamy player last season , one of the best kids I’ve ever seen, another one on loan Broja who scored 10 goals in 30 games on loan with Chelsea last time , already scored 2 for us. There’s there’s Perraud who was voted best left back in France by fans, Armstrong who scored 28 goals in the championship last season already bagged one here. Highly sort after Thierry Small. Saints are buying excellent kids from top sides who don’t want to sit on the bench they are hungry it’s a win win situation . Let’s be positive 👍

So being a realistic makes you negative....

No one is arguing Livamento looks decent. But the right back position was the one defensive position that didn’t need strengthening . Armstrong looks ok but he won’t on his own replace Ings goals.

Perraud has already been dropped, so not a great start for him.

As for the rest, they won’t make the starting 11 anytime soon. That’s a starting 11 that’s taken 16 points from the last 23 games.

All the monies we generate from selling players will be reinvested in the squad on 20:55 - Sep 1 with 1596 views1teeminants

All the monies we generate from selling players will be reinvested in the squad on 20:17 - Sep 1 by Butty101

So being a realistic makes you negative....

No one is arguing Livamento looks decent. But the right back position was the one defensive position that didn’t need strengthening . Armstrong looks ok but he won’t on his own replace Ings goals.

Perraud has already been dropped, so not a great start for him.

As for the rest, they won’t make the starting 11 anytime soon. That’s a starting 11 that’s taken 16 points from the last 23 games.

It’s far too early to predict what will happen but let’s see . I agree Armstrong is a downgrade on Ings but there’s no way Saints can afford a world class striker, they cost millions and Ings didn’t want to be here that’s no ones fault. It was well documented that we were only looking for signings around 10 million or less. As for Bertrand he had to go, he wasn’t interested, he had done his time here and Vestergaard IMO is not great. Christ knows why Leicester wanted him , no big loss IMO .

Our bench is definitely stronger now with more options which is what we all wanted wasn’t it ? A bigger squad to call on when injuries occur.

You also say Thierry Small will just be a reserve player ? I think Ralph will call on him for first team if needed and once again I went on Everton site and they’re gutted he’s gone. Ask Solent about how good he is. We also have Smallbone coming back soon who I rate, Jake Finegan is getting noticed too according to reports and Elynouissi looks a different player already , like another new signing .

We are a squad with many hungry, young talented kids who are desperate to do well ,bought or loaned from big premier league clubs not lower leagues . Let’s see what happens in the next month or so, we maybe surprised who knows.
[Post edited 1 Sep 2021 21:03]

All the monies we generate from selling players will be reinvested in the squad on 21:23 - Sep 1 with 1561 viewsButty101

All the monies we generate from selling players will be reinvested in the squad on 20:55 - Sep 1 by 1teeminants

It’s far too early to predict what will happen but let’s see . I agree Armstrong is a downgrade on Ings but there’s no way Saints can afford a world class striker, they cost millions and Ings didn’t want to be here that’s no ones fault. It was well documented that we were only looking for signings around 10 million or less. As for Bertrand he had to go, he wasn’t interested, he had done his time here and Vestergaard IMO is not great. Christ knows why Leicester wanted him , no big loss IMO .

Our bench is definitely stronger now with more options which is what we all wanted wasn’t it ? A bigger squad to call on when injuries occur.

You also say Thierry Small will just be a reserve player ? I think Ralph will call on him for first team if needed and once again I went on Everton site and they’re gutted he’s gone. Ask Solent about how good he is. We also have Smallbone coming back soon who I rate, Jake Finegan is getting noticed too according to reports and Elynouissi looks a different player already , like another new signing .

We are a squad with many hungry, young talented kids who are desperate to do well ,bought or loaned from big premier league clubs not lower leagues . Let’s see what happens in the next month or so, we maybe surprised who knows.

It’s a fair point we were never replacing Ings with the same quality. Im pleased the club have given Armstrong a chance, he’s proved himself at championship level.

I just can’t see us keeping clean sheets or out scoring the opposition. As we all know a leader in defence is obviously needed yet the club didn’t address that.

I’m in the minority that rated Vestaguard and think he will be missed :-)

I don’t doubt we have signed some top youngsters and I hope this is the way we go, but with the odd bit of experience for good measure. Worked a treat for lawrie

All the monies we generate from selling players will be reinvested in the squad on 21:29 - Sep 1 with 1555 viewsgrumpy

All the monies we generate from selling players will be reinvested in the squad on 21:23 - Sep 1 by Butty101

It’s a fair point we were never replacing Ings with the same quality. Im pleased the club have given Armstrong a chance, he’s proved himself at championship level.

I just can’t see us keeping clean sheets or out scoring the opposition. As we all know a leader in defence is obviously needed yet the club didn’t address that.

I’m in the minority that rated Vestaguard and think he will be missed :-)

I don’t doubt we have signed some top youngsters and I hope this is the way we go, but with the odd bit of experience for good measure. Worked a treat for lawrie

It was a big mistake to sell Vestergaard,yes he made mistakes, what player doesn't ?
But considering who he had with him in defence did well enough to keep his place, some of his long passes were brilliant.
All the monies we generate from selling players will be reinvested in the squad on 07:40 - Sep 2 with 1415 views1teeminants

All the monies we generate from selling players will be reinvested in the squad on 21:29 - Sep 1 by grumpy

It was a big mistake to sell Vestergaard,yes he made mistakes, what player doesn't ?
But considering who he had with him in defence did well enough to keep his place, some of his long passes were brilliant.

He definitely improved and yes his passing was second to none but we still let in far too many goals and he’s employed to stop that. Having said that we haven’t had a really strong defence for years and I can’t believe this hasn’t been properly addressed.

I rate Bednarek but others don’t. It’s funny how opinions differ so much in football , sometimes I think I’m watching a different game to others lol.

Let’s hope this gorilla bloke is decent.

All the monies we generate from selling players will be reinvested in the squad on 07:49 - Sep 2 with 1405 viewsPatfromPoole

All the monies we generate from selling players will be reinvested in the squad on 07:40 - Sep 2 by 1teeminants

He definitely improved and yes his passing was second to none but we still let in far too many goals and he’s employed to stop that. Having said that we haven’t had a really strong defence for years and I can’t believe this hasn’t been properly addressed.

I rate Bednarek but others don’t. It’s funny how opinions differ so much in football , sometimes I think I’m watching a different game to others lol.

Let’s hope this gorilla bloke is decent.

You’ll get a social media ban for calling him that……..

All the monies we generate from selling players will be reinvested in the squad on 08:19 - Sep 2 with 1388 viewssolent_toffee

All the monies we generate from selling players will be reinvested in the squad on 20:55 - Sep 1 by 1teeminants

You’re right about Small, he’s been linked with Madrid, Bayern and is widely tipped to be one of the best of his generation. I watched a lot of him for the Under 23’s last season and he was head and shoulders above his peers, often waltzing past players at will.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he ended up more of a winger/wing back because he is more of a Saka type player than a conventional left back.

At Everton, he knew he had three players immediately in front of him and didn’t want to play in the Under 23’s anymore. I wouldn’t be shocked to him involved with the Saints first team soon.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024