Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rugby World Cup Thread 15:39 - Sep 15 with 33228 viewskingsburyR

I don't think someone has started one yet.

Can't see past New Zealand but Ill have a cheeky £10 on the Aussies who always come good in a world cup.

And Bet of the week is for the Aussies to come top of England's group @ 2/1

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Rugby World Cup Thread on 14:16 - Oct 14 with 2103 viewsBrianMcCarthy

http://www.peoplesrepublicofcork.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202139

"Rogby football skills translator"

I was alerted to this thread this morning. It's bitter, twisted, hilarious and true. Whether you like rugby or not, the first few pages in particular are well, well worth a read.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Rugby World Cup Thread on 21:04 - Oct 17 with 2014 viewsToast_R

So went to the Richmond fan park today to watch Bokke v Wales. Great atmosphere, Wales didn't hold on but I curry no favour. Very well done by the RWC really cool place to spectate
Rugby World Cup Thread on 12:59 - Oct 18 with 1942 viewsDiscodroids

cor, watching the Argentine sing their anthem, half the team or more in tears!.

well up for it.

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Rugby World Cup Thread on 13:14 - Oct 18 with 1937 viewsHayesender

Rugby World Cup Thread on 12:59 - Oct 18 by Discodroids

cor, watching the Argentine sing their anthem, half the team or more in tears!.

well up for it.

14-0 up already. Well up for it this Argie team

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Rugby World Cup Thread on 13:24 - Oct 18 with 1932 viewsHollowayRanger

yellow card for argies chance for Ireland to get into game

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

Rugby World Cup Thread on 14:30 - Oct 18 with 1924 viewseastside_r

Rugby World Cup Thread on 14:16 - Oct 14 by BrianMcCarthy

http://www.peoplesrepublicofcork.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202139

"Rogby football skills translator"

I was alerted to this thread this morning. It's bitter, twisted, hilarious and true. Whether you like rugby or not, the first few pages in particular are well, well worth a read.

Thanks Brian. That is comedy gold. Obviously some of the guys posting, play / enjoy RU but appreciate the absurdity of it all.
Rugby World Cup Thread on 14:38 - Oct 18 with 1921 viewseastside_r

Rugby World Cup Thread on 14:30 - Oct 18 by eastside_r

Thanks Brian. That is comedy gold. Obviously some of the guys posting, play / enjoy RU but appreciate the absurdity of it all.

Just read this:

"Not talking to the ref". not a skill per se, but rugby football players are lionised as impeccable gentlemen for not objecting to a referees decision. Unlike their neanderthal brethren in association football.

apparently this more than compensates for eye gouging, raking, stamping, crushing an opponents testicles and the other dark arts of rugby.

Borderline genius.
Rugby World Cup Thread on 14:54 - Oct 18 with 1898 viewsCHUBBS

How good have Argentia been,have absolutely destroyed Ireland today whilst playing some stunning rugby.
Both teams have contributed to a cracking encounter.
Shame for the Irish but you can't help admire the Pumas style and pride.
Login to get fewer ads

Rugby World Cup Thread on 14:57 - Oct 18 with 1896 viewsToast_R

Argentina are quality. Come along way in the last 10 years
Rugby World Cup Thread on 15:43 - Oct 18 with 1876 viewsShotKneesHoop

Rugby World Cup Thread on 14:57 - Oct 18 by Toast_R

Argentina are quality. Come along way in the last 10 years

They'll want the Falklands back after this win!

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

Rugby World Cup Thread on 15:55 - Oct 18 with 1871 viewsjohncharles

Rugby World Cup Thread on 14:54 - Oct 18 by CHUBBS

How good have Argentia been,have absolutely destroyed Ireland today whilst playing some stunning rugby.
Both teams have contributed to a cracking encounter.
Shame for the Irish but you can't help admire the Pumas style and pride.

Great game. Best game so far. Proper running rugby. Much as wanted Ireland get through you can't take it away from Argentina.
Come on the jocks. Let's keep some home interest in the competition. Go for those whinging Roos.
The Chelsea of rugby.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2015 16:01]

Strong and stable my arse.

Rugby World Cup Thread on 17:51 - Oct 18 with 1819 viewsRs_Holy

Rugby World Cup Thread on 15:55 - Oct 18 by johncharles

Great game. Best game so far. Proper running rugby. Much as wanted Ireland get through you can't take it away from Argentina.
Come on the jocks. Let's keep some home interest in the competition. Go for those whinging Roos.
The Chelsea of rugby.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2015 16:01]

Heroic defeat for the Jocks... They came so close. And its a clean sweep for the southern hemisphere... Not good
Rugby World Cup Thread on 18:01 - Oct 18 with 1808 viewsjohncharles

Two very dodgy refereeing decisions. Never a yellow card and the final penalty should have gone to the TMO. Don't ask me, ask Michael Lynagh.

Strong and stable my arse.

Rugby World Cup Thread on 18:19 - Oct 18 with 1792 viewsdaveB

bizarre that they didn't go to the TMO for that penalty, they seem to go for everything else was a real shocker to lose the game like that, great effort from Scotland though
Rugby World Cup Thread on 18:40 - Oct 18 with 1781 viewsSimonJames

It can be a cruel game sometimes.
Can't help thinking though that the World Cup coming at the end the Southern Hemisphere season is a huge benefit for those teams because they are still match fit.

100% of people who drink water will die.

Rugby World Cup Thread on 19:18 - Oct 18 with 1748 viewslondonscottish

Brutal way to lose, Amazing performance from Scotland. Good to see some decent rugby after the doldrums of the last decade.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Rugby World Cup Thread on 19:23 - Oct 18 with 1743 viewsactonman

Got to feel for Scotland today, amazing game to be snarched away with the last kick.
Rugby World Cup Thread on 20:25 - Oct 18 with 1705 viewsElHoop

I really love that Scottish side. I can't really explain that as I have no Scottish blood and blood of just about everyone else, but I really wanted them to win. I thought that they might do it today but in the end they didn't. Oh well. It's a fantastic World Cup though.

Can you hear the RL sing? No-oh, no-oh....
Rugby World Cup Thread on 21:04 - Oct 18 with 1675 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Rugby World Cup Thread on 14:38 - Oct 18 by eastside_r

Just read this:

"Not talking to the ref". not a skill per se, but rugby football players are lionised as impeccable gentlemen for not objecting to a referees decision. Unlike their neanderthal brethren in association football.

apparently this more than compensates for eye gouging, raking, stamping, crushing an opponents testicles and the other dark arts of rugby.

Borderline genius.

I love that one. Very funny!

I feel sorry for the genuine Irish rugby fans on here - Robith, for one. I really, honestly do. Also for one of my best friends who is head of training at the IRFU. He lives for the sport, and this meant the world to him. I also feel sorry for Paul O' Connell. An utterly admirable athlete and professional. My father has recently got to know his family and my Dad has a top-of-the-range bullshit detector, and he has great, great time for the family, Paul included.

But the bandwaggoners have already moved on, I can assure you. My facebook page is drenched with self-aggandising nonsense like #bestfansintheworld #fansdeservedbetter etc etc. Really? I mean, really?

They love the rugby, do the bandwaggoners. If you want to be a bandwaggoner but want to pretend that you know your history, then rugby's the safer bet. You might get found out at the soccer. At the rugby you'll be surrounded by people who don't know the history either. Better again if it's provincial rugby, because there's no history to know.

#bestfansintheworld. Cop on. That loud 'click' noise you heard one minute after the final whiste? That was the Irish Nation turning over to Eastenders. They'll be back next time you have a free ticket and some beer.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Rugby World Cup Thread on 21:32 - Oct 18 with 1652 viewsElHoop

Rugby World Cup Thread on 21:04 - Oct 18 by BrianMcCarthy

I love that one. Very funny!

I feel sorry for the genuine Irish rugby fans on here - Robith, for one. I really, honestly do. Also for one of my best friends who is head of training at the IRFU. He lives for the sport, and this meant the world to him. I also feel sorry for Paul O' Connell. An utterly admirable athlete and professional. My father has recently got to know his family and my Dad has a top-of-the-range bullshit detector, and he has great, great time for the family, Paul included.

But the bandwaggoners have already moved on, I can assure you. My facebook page is drenched with self-aggandising nonsense like #bestfansintheworld #fansdeservedbetter etc etc. Really? I mean, really?

They love the rugby, do the bandwaggoners. If you want to be a bandwaggoner but want to pretend that you know your history, then rugby's the safer bet. You might get found out at the soccer. At the rugby you'll be surrounded by people who don't know the history either. Better again if it's provincial rugby, because there's no history to know.

#bestfansintheworld. Cop on. That loud 'click' noise you heard one minute after the final whiste? That was the Irish Nation turning over to Eastenders. They'll be back next time you have a free ticket and some beer.

The Irish were up against it there. Argentina are A list international sporting players once they've got their feet through the door, which they have at rugby. For Ireland, winning the 6 Nations, that's enough. There's a big big difference.
Rugby World Cup Thread on 22:15 - Oct 18 with 1626 viewsToast_R

Eishh that was typical Scotland wasn't it. Had it in the bag then faffed their own lineout. Heart breaker for the Jocks.
Rugby World Cup Thread on 22:58 - Oct 18 with 1592 viewsCiderwithRsie

Can anyone who knows anything about rugby tell me if this has been a massive cock up by the home nations or not?

Having a WC in England/Wales with 5 apparently decent northern hemisphere sides, and not one of them getting through to the QF stage seems to me the equivalent of a football WC with none of the home nations qualifying. Plenty of talk of Lancaster getting the sack from England, but has it not been a bit of a screw up from all of them?

Only northern hemisphere side to beat one of the Tri-Nations sides was Japan, I'd have thought that would suggest that there was something seriously wrong with domestic rugby structures and competitions.
Rugby World Cup Thread on 23:15 - Oct 18 with 1583 viewsTGRRRSSS

Depends what way you look at it.
They were somewhat over hyped in some cases with little justification.
England slightly unlucky in that somebody had to go from the group of death and it happened to be them, it does seem glaringly obvious they were never going to win wc - however I felt they'd get out of the group as rugby and home advantage can mean so much - that was wrong.
England also dogged by strange selections throuught SL's tenure as I said elsewhere on this thread a couple of weeks ago.
Funnily enough now his head is on the block the accusations are finally coming out, but warning signs of incompetence were there from a long way out.
I see the RFU are looking their usual competant and precise selves whilst mismanging the fall out as only they can :)

Wales were unlucky in that they had so many injuries though he made one or 2 decisions some while ago which maybe contributed to their downfall ultimately - but by the end of the SA game they'd had about 8 players injured and out of it, in addition to the 2 hard games with Eng and Aus.
Gatland was gracious in deafeat but in all likelihood injuries cost them perhaps previously in the Aus game when they had Aus down to 13 men and camped on their own line - Of course you cant be sure but there is a reason you pick your top players right and a replacement is a replacement for a reason, he cant be the chosen man.

Scotland - DOne better than ever could have hoped - stuffed up on that crucial lineout - overall though this is huge improvement for them and we shall see how they develope.

Ireland - Oddest one in it's own way - never got to a SF before and hopes were high, however they probably had a exceptional first 15 led by several players in particular - POC and Sexton at it's core many suspected without them they would stuggle more and so it proved - I think they game last week took more out of them than I thought despite injuries - Overall they will probably feel this an opportunity missed but again overall squad depth was not as good as a top fit 23 I suspect.

Much is made of the fact all NH is gone but some of that ends in the lap of the gods as regards the draw and also Argentina's huge improvement in that they actually have a bit of a foot in both camps.
Most players play in NH but now regularly play (home and away) against the Tri Nations 3 on a home away basis (WC Year aside)
[Post edited 18 Oct 2015 23:30]
Rugby World Cup Thread on 03:29 - Oct 19 with 1537 viewsozranger

Rugby World Cup Thread on 23:15 - Oct 18 by TGRRRSSS

Depends what way you look at it.
They were somewhat over hyped in some cases with little justification.
England slightly unlucky in that somebody had to go from the group of death and it happened to be them, it does seem glaringly obvious they were never going to win wc - however I felt they'd get out of the group as rugby and home advantage can mean so much - that was wrong.
England also dogged by strange selections throuught SL's tenure as I said elsewhere on this thread a couple of weeks ago.
Funnily enough now his head is on the block the accusations are finally coming out, but warning signs of incompetence were there from a long way out.
I see the RFU are looking their usual competant and precise selves whilst mismanging the fall out as only they can :)

Wales were unlucky in that they had so many injuries though he made one or 2 decisions some while ago which maybe contributed to their downfall ultimately - but by the end of the SA game they'd had about 8 players injured and out of it, in addition to the 2 hard games with Eng and Aus.
Gatland was gracious in deafeat but in all likelihood injuries cost them perhaps previously in the Aus game when they had Aus down to 13 men and camped on their own line - Of course you cant be sure but there is a reason you pick your top players right and a replacement is a replacement for a reason, he cant be the chosen man.

Scotland - DOne better than ever could have hoped - stuffed up on that crucial lineout - overall though this is huge improvement for them and we shall see how they develope.

Ireland - Oddest one in it's own way - never got to a SF before and hopes were high, however they probably had a exceptional first 15 led by several players in particular - POC and Sexton at it's core many suspected without them they would stuggle more and so it proved - I think they game last week took more out of them than I thought despite injuries - Overall they will probably feel this an opportunity missed but again overall squad depth was not as good as a top fit 23 I suspect.

Much is made of the fact all NH is gone but some of that ends in the lap of the gods as regards the draw and also Argentina's huge improvement in that they actually have a bit of a foot in both camps.
Most players play in NH but now regularly play (home and away) against the Tri Nations 3 on a home away basis (WC Year aside)
[Post edited 18 Oct 2015 23:30]

You forgot France. There, the problem, as has probably been mentioned too often, relates to money over improvement of quality of their own within their local competition. Too many imports and not enough of their own players getting better. The same could be said, not so recently, with the English football side and the Premier League, et al. The Kiwis, Aussies and South Africans know that having a strong local competition (ITM Cup, NRC, Currie Cup) which assists in promoting the quality of those coming through. I have heard stories that the ITM Cup has certain regulations that stop many overseas players from being part of teams and instead focussing on local talent identification and establishment. The Top 14 and the Aviva championship along with the Heinekin Cup, etc are now just clubs full of players from around the world. With the Oz and NZ rules (though relaxed in the Oz situation and Giteau) set such that those who play overseas cannot participate in their national team, it means many of the talent choose to stay at home until they feel they have reached a time where travelling to the north is more like a transition to retirement for them. What is the solution? I do not know, but as you have pointed out, there are significant problems and something will need to be done or countries like Japan, Tonga, Samoa and Fiji will overtake the home nations rather soon.
Rugby World Cup Thread on 04:25 - Oct 19 with 1527 viewsHitch

The strongest competition is in the Southern Hemisphere. Look how Argentina have improved since they have had regular games against Aus, NZ, SA. In NZ you must play in the super 15 competition to be eligible for the ABs. This keeps most of the top players at home until they go chasing the Euro. There are a lot of second tier players who head north and play for French, Irish, Welsh and English clubs. Japan has a lot of Kiwis and next season will have a team in the super 15. England has the most players and the most money but they play like robots on steroids.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024