Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rugby World Cup Thread 15:39 - Sep 15 with 33227 viewskingsburyR

I don't think someone has started one yet.

Can't see past New Zealand but Ill have a cheeky £10 on the Aussies who always come good in a world cup.

And Bet of the week is for the Aussies to come top of England's group @ 2/1

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Rugby World Cup Thread on 05:49 - Oct 19 with 2334 viewsQPR_ARG

Jumping in. Haven't before because lack of time rather than for having a sing-when-your-winning attitude!

I'm very pleased to read so many positive posts about Los Pumas. Rugby was never very popular (it's getting there) here in my country, but Los Pumas were always praised for their hearts and determination.

It took a very long time for the sport to take itself seriously in Argentina, because the big wigs did everything in their power to keep it amateur. It still is.

Thing is...through the progress by many of the national team players, they were able to wrestle the old farts and have them accept professional players representing the national team.

That made a hell of a lot more for Los Pumas than competing every year, home and away, against the Sanzar nations. Don't get me wrong, this also helped them take another huge step in the right direction. But the real difference is that the guys mauling, racking and scrumming are not bank managers or admin staff at a company who play rugby part-time.

Coupled with great coaching and a few good performances at previous World Cup (remember 2007, reaching semis and beating France twice. IN FRANCE), this new generation is even better than the predecessors.

Our backs now have elite speed and they don't make the silly handling mistakes that were common in the past. We don't just have plucky fat guys and a good kicker. We've never arrived at a World Cup as prepared and as in good shape as this year.

I still think we're the underdogs against Australia next Sunday. And the other three from the Southern Hemisphere are still head and shoulders above us, but today was a great day to be an Argie (makes you wonder whether we would stand a chance had we joined the Six Nations scene instead of the Tri Nations, but that's another matter).

If we only come this far, it's been well worth it. Hopefully there's more to come.

And hey...we all here want to see a team in hoops play with their hearts and win! Don't we?
Rugby World Cup Thread on 08:49 - Oct 19 with 2261 viewsDiscodroids

cant believe im saying this , but i was gutted for scotland.

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Rugby World Cup Thread on 09:24 - Oct 19 with 2239 viewsMonahoop

Rugby World Cup Thread on 21:04 - Oct 18 by BrianMcCarthy

I love that one. Very funny!

I feel sorry for the genuine Irish rugby fans on here - Robith, for one. I really, honestly do. Also for one of my best friends who is head of training at the IRFU. He lives for the sport, and this meant the world to him. I also feel sorry for Paul O' Connell. An utterly admirable athlete and professional. My father has recently got to know his family and my Dad has a top-of-the-range bullshit detector, and he has great, great time for the family, Paul included.

But the bandwaggoners have already moved on, I can assure you. My facebook page is drenched with self-aggandising nonsense like #bestfansintheworld #fansdeservedbetter etc etc. Really? I mean, really?

They love the rugby, do the bandwaggoners. If you want to be a bandwaggoner but want to pretend that you know your history, then rugby's the safer bet. You might get found out at the soccer. At the rugby you'll be surrounded by people who don't know the history either. Better again if it's provincial rugby, because there's no history to know.

#bestfansintheworld. Cop on. That loud 'click' noise you heard one minute after the final whiste? That was the Irish Nation turning over to Eastenders. They'll be back next time you have a free ticket and some beer.

A great summary of the Irish rugby bandwaggoners Brian and there are loads of them. News Talk radio did a survey earlier in the contest where the interviewer asked the fans, did many of them know the rules, who some of the players were, clubs they played for, positions they played and were they really from Ireland? Over half on the interview hadn't a clue about the sport, most couldn't name the regular 15 in the team and many had plummy English Home Counties accents claiming some form of dark distant ancestry or connection to Eire.
Well it's no more holding up of those smug 'I Love Rugby' or I'm Calling in Sick Tomorrow' notices. The bins around The Millenium Stadium in Cardiff are now full of them, and the great hordes of Irish rugby 'fans' have slid back into hibernation as quickly as they emerged from it before the tournament. Strange, no one wants to talk about the rugby here today!

There aint half been some clever bastards.

Rugby World Cup Thread on 09:28 - Oct 19 with 2238 viewsTGRRRSSS

Rugby World Cup Thread on 03:29 - Oct 19 by ozranger

You forgot France. There, the problem, as has probably been mentioned too often, relates to money over improvement of quality of their own within their local competition. Too many imports and not enough of their own players getting better. The same could be said, not so recently, with the English football side and the Premier League, et al. The Kiwis, Aussies and South Africans know that having a strong local competition (ITM Cup, NRC, Currie Cup) which assists in promoting the quality of those coming through. I have heard stories that the ITM Cup has certain regulations that stop many overseas players from being part of teams and instead focussing on local talent identification and establishment. The Top 14 and the Aviva championship along with the Heinekin Cup, etc are now just clubs full of players from around the world. With the Oz and NZ rules (though relaxed in the Oz situation and Giteau) set such that those who play overseas cannot participate in their national team, it means many of the talent choose to stay at home until they feel they have reached a time where travelling to the north is more like a transition to retirement for them. What is the solution? I do not know, but as you have pointed out, there are significant problems and something will need to be done or countries like Japan, Tonga, Samoa and Fiji will overtake the home nations rather soon.

No I hadnt forgotten them, the guy had said home nations (I think) and it was late on top.

Moving onto France well I think several factors one of which is a big one regarding england football team too many foreigners some say (Including Graham Henry last week.
Worth pointing out that the Top 14 itself is relatively successful with lots of money and one side in particular doing a Man City (Toulon) but even better than them.
I think it's even more key than in football because in rugby you need to have enough experience and players capable of playing in certain positions.
Take the scrum for example how many props do they have in top 14? Or Fly Halfs?
From current All Blacks squad alone, Conrad Smith, Ma'a Nonu, Dan Carter and Colin Slade are all going to different French sides, and had he been interested I don't doubt somebody would have been up for McCaw as well. Slade apart all are going well into their 30's.
The odd player here and there can really help swell knowledge, however it isnt just them but plenty of others English, Scottish, Irish (Paul O'Connell will join Nonu at Toulon)
In PSA's time I believe 8 of his overall 20 odd wins as coach came against either Scotland (Who till this year have been very poor for some while) and Italy, both who mostly joust for Wooden Spoon.
You can never quite tell with France which side will show up, but generally in the last few years you've been able to make a good guess at it.
Be interesting to see how Guy Noves does, he's been successful at club level...
Rugby World Cup Thread on 09:38 - Oct 19 with 2219 viewsElHoop

Rugby World Cup Thread on 05:49 - Oct 19 by QPR_ARG

Jumping in. Haven't before because lack of time rather than for having a sing-when-your-winning attitude!

I'm very pleased to read so many positive posts about Los Pumas. Rugby was never very popular (it's getting there) here in my country, but Los Pumas were always praised for their hearts and determination.

It took a very long time for the sport to take itself seriously in Argentina, because the big wigs did everything in their power to keep it amateur. It still is.

Thing is...through the progress by many of the national team players, they were able to wrestle the old farts and have them accept professional players representing the national team.

That made a hell of a lot more for Los Pumas than competing every year, home and away, against the Sanzar nations. Don't get me wrong, this also helped them take another huge step in the right direction. But the real difference is that the guys mauling, racking and scrumming are not bank managers or admin staff at a company who play rugby part-time.

Coupled with great coaching and a few good performances at previous World Cup (remember 2007, reaching semis and beating France twice. IN FRANCE), this new generation is even better than the predecessors.

Our backs now have elite speed and they don't make the silly handling mistakes that were common in the past. We don't just have plucky fat guys and a good kicker. We've never arrived at a World Cup as prepared and as in good shape as this year.

I still think we're the underdogs against Australia next Sunday. And the other three from the Southern Hemisphere are still head and shoulders above us, but today was a great day to be an Argie (makes you wonder whether we would stand a chance had we joined the Six Nations scene instead of the Tri Nations, but that's another matter).

If we only come this far, it's been well worth it. Hopefully there's more to come.

And hey...we all here want to see a team in hoops play with their hearts and win! Don't we?

I think that part of the route to success in World Cups is playing well in the games that you really have to win, as against how you play in games in which you or both sides could afford to lose. In a sport like rugby it's probably more important to avoid injury than to win, if you don't have to win, particularly as it's looking pretty open and there's no easy games in the knockout stage. I think that Scotland laid themselves out to win the key games and they won the games they had to win and they were particularly unfortunate not to do so yesterday.

New Zealand may or may not be the best side but they do seem to be getting it right when it matters, as do Argentina, so I'll take those two to make the final and Argentina won't be a pushover if that happens.
[Post edited 19 Oct 2015 9:38]
Rugby World Cup Thread on 10:29 - Oct 19 with 2194 viewsToast_R

Have a sneaky feeling the Boks with run NZ pretty close on Saturday. Can't wait to see NZ get a real test, they've had a soft run so far but to be fair they look different class on the outset.

I'm all for Bokke and Argentina now. I've really enjoyed the tournament so far despite England's poor showing, I reckon it's been a fantastic World Cup.
[Post edited 19 Oct 2015 10:34]
Rugby World Cup Thread on 10:31 - Oct 19 with 2190 viewsElHoop

One other thing - the 'group of death' - they should all be out by now - I think that it probably ruined all three sides in terms of taking the edge off of them. Australia will do well to win two more games at that sort of level of intensity, having won three of them already.
Rugby World Cup Thread on 13:15 - Oct 19 with 2152 viewsisawqpratwcity

Not taking anything away from a spirited Scotland, but I thought Australia looked uninspired this morning and just a little bit lucky to win.

Nor was I overwhelmed with SA's performance on the week-end.

Fairly safe punt: NZ to beat Oz...but it'd rattle a few cages if Argentina beat the Boks (they've already done it last August) for third place.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Login to get fewer ads

Rugby World Cup Thread on 13:30 - Oct 19 with 2141 viewsthemodfather

for me, at least scotland, wales and ireland cannot win it so sod em....england have won it, whooppeeeee

dare i say cmon argentina, superhoops.....i still hate em, the falklands are ours and maradonas a drugs cheat, handball cheat and rat but....sod aussies or kiwis winning and boks are just 'orrible...so
Rugby World Cup Thread on 13:51 - Oct 19 with 2122 viewscollegeranger

Just been on the official website and picked up a ticket for the Aussie-Argy Semi. Face Value £125 - may never get to another World Cup Semi in any sport so sod it and i'll be there supporting The Pumas!
Rugby World Cup Thread on 17:29 - Oct 19 with 2080 viewsQPR_ARG

Rugby World Cup Thread on 13:51 - Oct 19 by collegeranger

Just been on the official website and picked up a ticket for the Aussie-Argy Semi. Face Value £125 - may never get to another World Cup Semi in any sport so sod it and i'll be there supporting The Pumas!

GET IN, MATE!

Good on you!

I'm not jealous...not one bit...
Rugby World Cup Thread on 17:32 - Oct 19 with 2078 viewsBlackCrowe

Rugby World Cup Thread on 13:51 - Oct 19 by collegeranger

Going to NZ v SA day before and so missing Rs. An easy decision to make alas.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Rugby World Cup Thread on 17:38 - Oct 19 with 2076 viewsTGRRRSSS

Wish I could get tickets for that (NZ game) but seen us lose in some critical games so amybe best I don't... (99 and 07) to make matters worse had tickets for Paris in 07 for Semi finals.
Rugby World Cup Thread on 22:23 - Oct 19 with 2016 viewsHitch

Rugby World Cup Thread on 10:29 - Oct 19 by Toast_R

Have a sneaky feeling the Boks with run NZ pretty close on Saturday. Can't wait to see NZ get a real test, they've had a soft run so far but to be fair they look different class on the outset.

I'm all for Bokke and Argentina now. I've really enjoyed the tournament so far despite England's poor showing, I reckon it's been a fantastic World Cup.
[Post edited 19 Oct 2015 10:34]

The All Blacks will run the Boks off their feet. NZ by 20
Rugby World Cup Thread on 22:33 - Oct 19 with 2001 viewsisawqpratwcity

Rugby World Cup Thread on 22:23 - Oct 19 by Hitch

The All Blacks will run the Boks off their feet. NZ by 20

Rugby World Cup Thread on 22:36 - Oct 19 with 1994 viewsTW_R

Rugby World Cup Thread on 18:19 - Oct 18 by daveB

bizarre that they didn't go to the TMO for that penalty, they seem to go for everything else was a real shocker to lose the game like that, great effort from Scotland though

I think they can only use the TMO for either foul play or whether tries or kicks at goal are legitimate. In this case, the ref awarded a penalty for offside, so TMO couldn't be used.
Rugby World Cup Thread on 22:43 - Oct 19 with 1982 viewsFredManRave

Rugby World Cup Thread on 22:36 - Oct 19 by TW_R

I think they can only use the TMO for either foul play or whether tries or kicks at goal are legitimate. In this case, the ref awarded a penalty for offside, so TMO couldn't be used.

World Rugby regulations only permit the TMO to rule on foul play or whether tries or kicks at goal are legitimate.

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Rugby World Cup Thread on 07:40 - Oct 20 with 1935 viewsElHoop

Rugby World Cup Thread on 22:43 - Oct 19 by FredManRave

World Rugby regulations only permit the TMO to rule on foul play or whether tries or kicks at goal are legitimate.

As in football, I think that the best refereeing teams use the available technology discretely and effectively at all times.

Unlike Joubert & Co.
[Post edited 20 Oct 2015 7:41]
Rugby World Cup Thread on 14:17 - Oct 21 with 1873 viewsrobith

Sorry it's late. I've started a new job where I can't just write rugby stuff all day.

Also because I'm so gutted. I had semi tickets lined up and everything :(

https://medium.com/@rbrtdnnllnn/rob-s-rugby-world-cup-round-up-weekend-5-e9efee8
Rugby World Cup Thread on 17:55 - Oct 24 with 1803 viewsisawqpratwcity

Rugby World Cup Thread on 14:17 - Oct 21 by robith

Sorry it's late. I've started a new job where I can't just write rugby stuff all day.

Also because I'm so gutted. I had semi tickets lined up and everything :(

https://medium.com/@rbrtdnnllnn/rob-s-rugby-world-cup-round-up-weekend-5-e9efee8

All Blacks 20-18 Boks, a tough game, Boks defended well, but AB's two tries to nil.

Rugby World Cup Thread on 11:36 - Oct 26 with 1707 viewsisawqpratwcity

Still tipping the ABs to win, but it should be close and a ripper final. I wonder who the crowd will back?

Now can't see the Pumas upsetting the 'Boks.

Rugby World Cup Thread on 12:03 - Oct 26 with 1693 viewsPhildo

Went to the Aussie/Argie game yesterday. Excellent- Pumas fans were magnificent. Aussie backrow though - wow. How do they get there every time standing hands on the ball a milisecond after the first tackle. Its like sorcery. Think they will do the ABs but so far I have been wrong on every prediction so lump on to the darkness.
Rugby World Cup Thread on 12:32 - Oct 26 with 1683 viewsisawqpratwcity

Rugby World Cup Thread on 12:03 - Oct 26 by Phildo

Went to the Aussie/Argie game yesterday. Excellent- Pumas fans were magnificent. Aussie backrow though - wow. How do they get there every time standing hands on the ball a milisecond after the first tackle. Its like sorcery. Think they will do the ABs but so far I have been wrong on every prediction so lump on to the darkness.

Even with the long Bledisloe Cup drought on the 'West Island' side of the Tasman, you can never rule out the Wallabies beating the All Blacks. I am soooo looking forward to this game.

Rugby World Cup Thread on 12:44 - Oct 26 with 1679 viewsToast_R

Dunno, how much more can the Wallabies take. They've had some epic battles this world cup while NZ have had a SA. Still think NZ maybe slightly over rated as SA were not far off dumping them out. Will be brutal.
Rugby World Cup Thread on 11:32 - Oct 27 with 1617 viewsrobith

My penultimate blog with my thoughts on the semis (LOL)

https://medium.com/@rbrtdnnllnn/rob-s-rwc-round-up-weekend-6-fbb3064707ee#.9wkdt
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024