Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swansea v Southampton Matchday Thread (With pictures.) 21:46 - Sep 19 with 16317 viewsPlazex

Vs

Just had to. (Pics will be here in a min.)
[Post edited 19 Sep 2014 22:16]

Poll: Where will we finish?

Swansea v Southampton Matchday Thread (With pictures.) on 17:13 - Sep 20 with 1940 viewssnork44

Swansea v Southampton Matchday Thread (With pictures.) on 16:45 - Sep 20 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

we've been exposed the entire second half, Pelle has had chance after chance. It was a matter of time. We had no one upfield to hold it up and it kept coming back everytime we cleared it.

Hopefully he's learnt from this.

Dwight,just shut up! Your negativity is so boring! We lost though a lucky strike and Bony acting like a knob! Monks got the tactics right, if he had gone hung ho then he would have been crucified by you. Let's be honest you did not like Monk from the start, so let's cut the pretense you want him out and your precious ego to be massaged so you can be proved right!

Premier Snork now watching from the USA
Poll: What do you prefer on Planet Swans after a game?

Swansea v Southampton Matchday Thread (With pictures.) on 17:15 - Sep 20 with 1911 viewscurleigh

Swansea v Southampton Matchday Thread (With pictures.) on 17:01 - Sep 20 by JackFish

Gomis should have been on by 55 mins, Gylfi couldn't hold the ball up at all and it was coming straight back every time. Only a matter of time until they scored playing like that.

Fonte didn't make any contact because Routs had to jump ten foot in the air to avoid him. Clear second yellow and Ward-Prowse should have had one for his tackle from behind too.

have to agree. why leave Syggi on up top, when you could see he was knackered, a fresh Gomis would have given us something more to aim at Syggi wasn't holding it up as this position is alien to him, just can;t understand playing him as a striker With Gomis on the bench.they could have played down the channels for him.
Swansea v Southampton Matchday Thread (With pictures.) on 17:15 - Sep 20 with 1901 viewsperchrockjack

I expect this thread to become more bitter later with the same old protagonists so I ll bow out now.
Enjoy your evening gentlemen..

And Dwight..YOU ARE UTTERLY WRONG IN YOUR ANALYSIS..in my opinion

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Swansea v Southampton Matchday Thread (With pictures.) on 17:23 - Sep 20 with 1810 viewsJacksview

Gomis could not hold onto the ball in his last game. Used siggy for his energy to try and close down and try to release his wingers. Did not work but Gomis is too slow and is not as athletic as siggy. Unlucky Monk it nearly worked
Swansea v Southampton Matchday Thread (With pictures.) on 17:24 - Sep 20 with 1800 viewslondonlisa2001

Disappointing to lose that after dominating the first half. Stupid from Bony. How Fonte stayed on the pitch five mins later though is a mystery - inconsistent refereeing yet again.

I imagine btw that the reason that we left Siggy on rather than Gomis was that when a team goes down to ten men, often the best chance they have of still snatching a result is from a set piece - free kick in a dangerous area, corners etc. Siggy is our best player in those situations, so we left him on the field in case we had an opportunity.

As it happened, we didn't, so we didn't get the chance to see if it was the right thing to do.

As for the 'why didn't we attack' - well I thought it was obvious from the last ten minutes - the second we started to attack, they carved out 2 or 3 great chances which they happened to miss. We did that because you may as well lose 2 nil in that situation as 1 nil so better to gamble. If we had done that for the entire second half, it was far more likely that we'd lose. OK we lost anyway, but at least gave ourselves a chance of a point. Southampton are a decent team - beat Newcastle 4 nil last weekend, and yet we have idiots on here thinking that we should have just attacked them with ten.

A least it was positive to see that on a level playing field, we tore a very very good team apart. And an outstanding game from Ki - looked absolutely excellent today, and Fernandez started to look more and more assured as the match went on as well.
Swansea v Southampton Matchday Thread (With pictures.) on 17:28 - Sep 20 with 1758 viewsbonwif

Bony frustraing? Its big mistake when forvard got red card..shame we should get up after Chelsea game but this is dissapointing
Swansea v Southampton Matchday Thread (With pictures.) on 17:32 - Sep 20 with 1718 viewsunion_jack

Swansea v Southampton Matchday Thread (With pictures.) on 17:24 - Sep 20 by londonlisa2001

Disappointing to lose that after dominating the first half. Stupid from Bony. How Fonte stayed on the pitch five mins later though is a mystery - inconsistent refereeing yet again.

I imagine btw that the reason that we left Siggy on rather than Gomis was that when a team goes down to ten men, often the best chance they have of still snatching a result is from a set piece - free kick in a dangerous area, corners etc. Siggy is our best player in those situations, so we left him on the field in case we had an opportunity.

As it happened, we didn't, so we didn't get the chance to see if it was the right thing to do.

As for the 'why didn't we attack' - well I thought it was obvious from the last ten minutes - the second we started to attack, they carved out 2 or 3 great chances which they happened to miss. We did that because you may as well lose 2 nil in that situation as 1 nil so better to gamble. If we had done that for the entire second half, it was far more likely that we'd lose. OK we lost anyway, but at least gave ourselves a chance of a point. Southampton are a decent team - beat Newcastle 4 nil last weekend, and yet we have idiots on here thinking that we should have just attacked them with ten.

A least it was positive to see that on a level playing field, we tore a very very good team apart. And an outstanding game from Ki - looked absolutely excellent today, and Fernandez started to look more and more assured as the match went on as well.

Lots if sense there Lisa, well said!

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Swansea v Southampton Matchday Thread (With pictures.) on 17:36 - Sep 20 with 1684 viewsJackFish

I didn't say anything about attacking with ten men, but giving them 80% possession was only going to end with them scoring. We needed someone who could at least hold the ball up or give their centre halves something to think about. We're at our best when we keep the ball, we're not good enough to just defend for an hour. One game that comes to mind immediately is Forest in the playoffs.
Login to get fewer ads

Swansea v Southampton Matchday Thread (With pictures.) on 17:42 - Sep 20 with 1635 viewslondonlisa2001

Swansea v Southampton Matchday Thread (With pictures.) on 17:36 - Sep 20 by JackFish

I didn't say anything about attacking with ten men, but giving them 80% possession was only going to end with them scoring. We needed someone who could at least hold the ball up or give their centre halves something to think about. We're at our best when we keep the ball, we're not good enough to just defend for an hour. One game that comes to mind immediately is Forest in the playoffs.

It's almost impossible with a good passing team like southampton to avoid conceding possession in those circumstances though. And I also imagine that Monk wanted to keep Gomis fresh for Tuesday (since I think he will take the cup seriously).

Until their goal they actually created little in the way of clear cut chances - we held our shape very well. Even their goal was far less of a chance that Routs missed in the first half. Small margins in this league though - if that had gone in, then I think we'd have been on our way to another win.
Swansea v Southampton Matchday Thread (With pictures.) on 17:50 - Sep 20 with 1582 viewsLeonisGod

Swansea v Southampton Matchday Thread (With pictures.) on 17:42 - Sep 20 by londonlisa2001

It's almost impossible with a good passing team like southampton to avoid conceding possession in those circumstances though. And I also imagine that Monk wanted to keep Gomis fresh for Tuesday (since I think he will take the cup seriously).

Until their goal they actually created little in the way of clear cut chances - we held our shape very well. Even their goal was far less of a chance that Routs missed in the first half. Small margins in this league though - if that had gone in, then I think we'd have been on our way to another win.

Of course it is - 1st para spot on. And the reason Siggy was on was because of his energy and the fact that he can naturally drop deep to join the midfield. But I think you're wasting your breath on some people.

Disappointing, but good effort at containing them 2nd half and it nearly worked. Considering how quickly S'ton we're switching the play and how wide they started to make the pitch I thought we did really well to limit their opportunities.

Great effort by the fans too. I'm not sure what it was like elsewhere but in the NE corner it was deafening at times.
Swansea v Southampton Matchday Thread (With pictures.) on 18:01 - Sep 20 with 1528 viewslondonlisa2001

Swansea v Southampton Matchday Thread (With pictures.) on 17:50 - Sep 20 by LeonisGod

Of course it is - 1st para spot on. And the reason Siggy was on was because of his energy and the fact that he can naturally drop deep to join the midfield. But I think you're wasting your breath on some people.

Disappointing, but good effort at containing them 2nd half and it nearly worked. Considering how quickly S'ton we're switching the play and how wide they started to make the pitch I thought we did really well to limit their opportunities.

Great effort by the fans too. I'm not sure what it was like elsewhere but in the NE corner it was deafening at times.

Unfortunately it's difficult to have a sensible conversation on here when certain posters are deliberately trying to stir things up to provoke a reaction. It's very very sad and I never cease to be amazed that they can't find something more productive to do with their lives. Anyway - up to them.
Swansea v Southampton Matchday Thread (With pictures.) on 18:07 - Sep 20 with 1504 viewsSweyns_Eye

Disappointing result, the referee steered the course of the game with some very inconsistent decisions, most of which seemed to go against us unfortunately. Saying that I thought Bony was risking it to go in from behind as he did resulting in his second yellow.

I heard GM's post match interview on the radio on the way back and he said they tried to control the game second half by focussing on keeping their defensive shape at the back. Pity about this as we were just inviting them on to us. Well it almost worked and we were undone by Wanyama (? I might be wrong) forcing Ki to make a wrong decision which meant he surged past him. Otherwise Ki played well.

Oh well.

"After the war is over I'm going to buy a British radio set - then at least I'll own something that has always worked". Hermann Goring, 1943.
Poll: How long do you think Monk will last managing Leeds?

Swansea v Southampton Matchday Thread (With pictures.) on 18:25 - Sep 20 with 1436 viewsVetchitBack

I'm not a fan of inviting pressure. I liked Roberto's philosophy of "there only being one ball on the pitch and if it's down their end it's not up ours" (or something).

You have to have a defence likes Chelsea's title winning team under Mourinho to get away with that in my opinion.

The orthodox are always orthodox, regardless of the orthodoxy.

Swansea v Southampton Matchday Thread (With pictures.) on 18:34 - Sep 20 with 1400 viewsC_jack

They weren't exactly carving is apart in the first half, why could we not have put Shelvey in AM and Siggy up front?

As it went, we told Siggy to be both the striker and attacking mid, which was an impossible task.

Poll: Who did you vote for today, in the general election?

Swansea v Southampton Matchday Thread (With pictures.) on 19:33 - Sep 20 with 1261 viewsKingBony

Swansea v Southampton Matchday Thread (With pictures.) on 16:04 - Sep 20 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

Yoshida took two absolutely woeful challenges from Bony.

The first one was appalling and could seriously injured his spine, it was worse than what Neymar took at the World Cup.

The second challenge Bony scissor tackled him, there's a reason those tackles have been outlawed, they injure opponents.

Fonte didn't even make contact with Wayne and I'm not really sure it was worth a yellow.

You absolute dick f@ck off!!

Daddy Daddy cool, Daddy Daddy cool

Swansea v Southampton Matchday Thread (With pictures.) on 19:41 - Sep 20 with 1238 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

Swansea v Southampton Matchday Thread (With pictures.) on 19:33 - Sep 20 by KingBony

You absolute dick f@ck off!!

Hello, KingBony.

What part of my post did you disagree with?

I can see why some may debate the Fonte challenge but other than that I'm puzzled.

The only King Wilf reminded me of today was Geoffrey from Game of Thrones, unable to control his temper and taking it out on others, in this case a young Japanese defender named Yoshida.

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

Swansea v Southampton Matchday Thread (With pictures.) on 19:47 - Sep 20 with 1225 viewsairedale

Agree with Lisa re Federico, he made a couple of awful give-away passes in the first 5 mins and I thought, oh dear, but got better and better as the game went on imo, very classy, just like Ki.

Another thing I wondered about to, was whether we may have done better today (both sides of the dismissal), if Leon had been playing.
Swansea v Southampton Matchday Thread (With pictures.) on 19:57 - Sep 20 with 1208 viewsNeathJack

Swansea v Southampton Matchday Thread (With pictures.) on 16:57 - Sep 20 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

I'll be back later this evening when emotions have died down and people realise that hang on, maybe if we showed a bit more courage we could have still got something today instead of accepting defeat the moment we went a man down.

You try telling the 10 players out there today who busted a gut to get a point that they accepted defeat the moment we went a man down.
Swansea v Southampton Matchday Thread (With pictures.) on 21:03 - Sep 20 with 1123 viewsKingBony

Swansea v Southampton Matchday Thread (With pictures.) on 19:41 - Sep 20 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

Hello, KingBony.

What part of my post did you disagree with?

I can see why some may debate the Fonte challenge but other than that I'm puzzled.

The only King Wilf reminded me of today was Geoffrey from Game of Thrones, unable to control his temper and taking it out on others, in this case a young Japanese defender named Yoshida.

Actually I apologise for my last post Dwight, it was OTT sorry... The first tackle I'm sorry but that's not a yellow in a million years, second one fair enough a yellow.

Daddy Daddy cool, Daddy Daddy cool

Swansea v Southampton Matchday Thread (With pictures.) on 21:08 - Sep 20 with 1115 viewsperchrockjack

Woeful now the in word them.

My opinion is they werent

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Swansea v Southampton Matchday Thread (With pictures.) on 21:37 - Sep 20 with 1087 viewsJackoBoostardo

Swansea v Southampton Matchday Thread (With pictures.) on 21:03 - Sep 20 by KingBony

Actually I apologise for my last post Dwight, it was OTT sorry... The first tackle I'm sorry but that's not a yellow in a million years, second one fair enough a yellow.

Bony made contact with the ball first in the first tackle. Not a good call at all by the ref - who's performance today was woeful!

And we're Swaaaaanseeeea Ciiiityyyy! Swaaaansseeeaaa Ciiiityyy F C! We're not necessarily the greatest team in football, the world has ever seen (but we're possibly the most honest and resilient). - On behalf of The Campaign For Realistic Crowd Chanting
Poll: How could Van Persie survive such an horrific attack were it to happen again?

Swansea v Southampton Matchday Thread (With pictures.) on 23:36 - Sep 20 with 1023 viewsDarran

Swansea v Southampton Matchday Thread (With pictures.) on 16:04 - Sep 20 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

Yoshida took two absolutely woeful challenges from Bony.

The first one was appalling and could seriously injured his spine, it was worse than what Neymar took at the World Cup.

The second challenge Bony scissor tackled him, there's a reason those tackles have been outlawed, they injure opponents.

Fonte didn't even make contact with Wayne and I'm not really sure it was worth a yellow.

Scissors tackled you say?
Fonte didn't even make contact with Wayne you say?

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Swansea v Southampton Matchday Thread (With pictures.) on 00:41 - Sep 21 with 968 viewsTreforys_Jack

It was a little puzzling why Gomis wasn't brought on today, thought we were crying out for someone to hold the ball up. Some said earlier Siggy was pushed up front for his mobility, well from what I've seen of Gomis, he is definitely mobile and would of done a far better job. Maybe though he is not fit or got a minor knock and Garry knew he has to play on Tuesday. Who knows, just thought it was a bit of a no brainer.
Swansea v Southampton Matchday Thread (With pictures.) on 13:16 - Sep 21 with 840 viewsDarran

Swansea v Southampton Matchday Thread (With pictures.) on 23:36 - Sep 20 by Darran

Scissors tackled you say?
Fonte didn't even make contact with Wayne you say?

No comments then?

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Swansea v Southampton Matchday Thread (With pictures.) on 13:28 - Sep 21 with 827 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

Swansea v Southampton Matchday Thread (With pictures.) on 13:16 - Sep 21 by Darran

No comments then?

Yes I stand by what I said.

If Wayne was more street wise it'd have been 10 v 10. He jumped so high that little to no contact was made, despite it being a dangerous tackle. I can see why he didn't give a yellow but if Wayne had rolled around a bit then Fonte would have been off.

Hopefully we learn from that. 3 points at the end of the season could mean the difference between a couple of places.

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024