Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is There Intelligent Life Out There 22:33 - Nov 18 with 8787 viewsLord_Bony

Dr. Brian Cox seems to think so...maybe 30 billion earth like inhabitable planets in our galaxy alone...remember there are countless billions of galaxies.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0276pxp/human-universe-3-are-we-alone

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 13:30 - Nov 19 with 1187 viewsdickythorpe

Who gives a feck about intelligent life out there?!!???!!!

I've got a mountain of work to do this afternoon, so any aliens out there reading this pop in and give me a hand will you??!!!!

Work shy,bug eyed, flying saucer fiddling nerds!!!
Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 13:30 - Nov 19 with 1187 viewsStarsky

Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 00:18 - Nov 19 by Chippy69

FFS and you had the fu cking front to call me boring,you wa nker
stay off the pc and go and watch star wars you simple c unt

What's boring about this thread?
If you think it's boring, don't click on it then.

It's just the internet, init.

Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 13:32 - Nov 19 with 1185 viewsParlay

Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 13:27 - Nov 19 by Le_Swans

I think what Skippy is getting at is that there is a difference from a fact and a scientific fact, the latter is something that has been observed multiple times, peer reviewed and is thought to be true, however scientists would believe that truth is never final, so they will never call it a 100% fact.

I know exactly what he is getting at. But does that further the debate or is it being slightly pedantic for the sake of it? I think its clearly the latter.

Each of my examples was to show the scale of the cosmos. Does it matter if the earth fits into the sun 1.27 million times rather than 1.3 million times? Does it matter if there is 8 times more stars than grains of sand rather than 10 times? Does it matter of there is a sun 96 million times bigger than our sun rather than 100 million times?

No is the answer. The exact measurements are scientific theory, the factual result is not theory - it is fact. And it is that which displays my point not the exact measurement to the centimetre.

Its like me giving an example to show that there are more leaves on the estimated 400 billion trees on earth than current Pope's and someone refuting it because I haven't counted each leaf in the world.
[Post edited 19 Nov 2014 13:36]

Forum celebrity
Poll: Is £45 a match ticket too high?

Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 13:34 - Nov 19 with 1175 viewsskippyjack

Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 12:58 - Nov 19 by Parlay

Now read this paragraph you just quoted VERY slowly as you have just summed it up perfectly:-

"Facts can always be disputed by pedanticism but not really worthy of debate or indeed the halt of debate along those lines. Its like saying there is more sea than visible land on the earth and someone saying "ahh but its just a theory nobody has actually measured" and thus wishing to stop the debate going any further because of that almost ridiculous view. Its purely being pedantic for pedantic's sake and indeed ironically is what one would call being a smart ass."

You are calling me a "smart ass" for furthering the debate by giving facts to show the vastness of space by stating the size of the sun and the earth and comparing their size in a format easy to understand with earths fitting in the sun..... and you are restoring to "ahhhh but we haven't actually done it have we". Do you see the irony there? Your counter is bringing nothing to this debate at all, be that for or against. Next you will be picking up on grammatical errors.
[Post edited 19 Nov 2014 13:07]

I'm just pointing out the facts.. Well if it's so obvious.. why even mention the amount of earths that can fit into the sun.. because it's actually impossible to put 1.3 million earths in the sun.. it should go in the pointless scientific theories book.. more stars than grains of sand.. shock of the week.. a beach isn't very big.. a universe is f*cking huge.. it's obvious.. but it isn't 100% factual because it hasn't been proven.. it doesn't take a genius to work these things out.. the geniuses are the people who create and build microscopes.. telescopes.. to find out what is actually in space.. people in NASA would look at you daft.. coming up with the bollocks you've written.. the most simplest and easiest space theories there is... it's like bread and butter.. Warwick is correct.. it's pointless.

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.
Poll: Best Swans Player

Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 13:36 - Nov 19 with 1174 viewsskippyjack

Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 13:27 - Nov 19 by Le_Swans

I think what Skippy is getting at is that there is a difference from a fact and a scientific fact, the latter is something that has been observed multiple times, peer reviewed and is thought to be true, however scientists would believe that truth is never final, so they will never call it a 100% fact.

Try and tell Einstein.

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.

Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 13:38 - Nov 19 with 1168 viewsskippyjack

Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 13:32 - Nov 19 by Parlay

I know exactly what he is getting at. But does that further the debate or is it being slightly pedantic for the sake of it? I think its clearly the latter.

Each of my examples was to show the scale of the cosmos. Does it matter if the earth fits into the sun 1.27 million times rather than 1.3 million times? Does it matter if there is 8 times more stars than grains of sand rather than 10 times? Does it matter of there is a sun 96 million times bigger than our sun rather than 100 million times?

No is the answer. The exact measurements are scientific theory, the factual result is not theory - it is fact. And it is that which displays my point not the exact measurement to the centimetre.

Its like me giving an example to show that there are more leaves on the estimated 400 billion trees on earth than current Pope's and someone refuting it because I haven't counted each leaf in the world.
[Post edited 19 Nov 2014 13:36]

No it's f*cking obvious.. and you're trying to be some sort of Pariah.

Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 13:43 - Nov 19 with 1159 viewsParlay

Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 13:34 - Nov 19 by skippyjack

I'm just pointing out the facts.. Well if it's so obvious.. why even mention the amount of earths that can fit into the sun.. because it's actually impossible to put 1.3 million earths in the sun.. it should go in the pointless scientific theories book.. more stars than grains of sand.. shock of the week.. a beach isn't very big.. a universe is f*cking huge.. it's obvious.. but it isn't 100% factual because it hasn't been proven.. it doesn't take a genius to work these things out.. the geniuses are the people who create and build microscopes.. telescopes.. to find out what is actually in space.. people in NASA would look at you daft.. coming up with the bollocks you've written.. the most simplest and easiest space theories there is... it's like bread and butter.. Warwick is correct.. it's pointless.

What in Gods name are you talking about you buffoon?

Im giving an example to the size of the bodies in space, it really isnt that difficult to comprehend. When you hear the size of a blue whale people say "as big as x amount of double decker busses stacked" but has anyone ever stacked the double decker busses or just simply made a size calculation? It is simply a vessel to display information to make it palatable to the human mind. You are being quite ridiculous I'm afraid.

You seem offended that I have given these examples about the vastness of space and have decided that i am trying to get a job with NASA or claiming to be a genius

Can people not discuss space without having to be angling for a job in NASA then or indeed being self proclaimed geniuses? You are treading the intelligence threatened tightrope that warwick does time and time again.

If you think its pointless then why the heck are you discussing it, now walk into NASA and tell them the vastness of space is pointless and indeed it is you they will be laughing at and not the facts they have contributed to compiling that I have simply relayed to you.

As i said to Warwick, please leave your insecurities at the door. If you wish to contribute to the thread then by all means do so. If you are here to simply be pedantic with your "ahhh but is the empire state building bigger than my pet hamster because nobody has actually measured it" nonsense then i suggest you post another thread with the heading "pedantic bollocks 101"
[Post edited 19 Nov 2014 13:52]

Forum celebrity

Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 13:48 - Nov 19 with 1140 viewsParlay

Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 13:38 - Nov 19 by skippyjack

No it's f*cking obvious.. and you're trying to be some sort of Pariah.

So in a debate (not created by me) regarding the life outside our planet, i should not have given scientific calculations and obvious facts regarding the vastness of space incase some people got all uppity at the fact that someone is giving reasoned and documented evidence due to their insecurities about their own intelligence?

I dont subscribe to that I'm afraid. I feel intelligence and knowledge should be embraced on threads and not tried to be stifled by some Pol Pot style of intelligence fearing posting squads. Im still chortling at you saying that I couldn't get a job with NASA, i better not say Ronaldo has an incredible scoring record incase I get accused of trying to be a messiah of football and angling for the management role at Man United.

Chortle.
[Post edited 19 Nov 2014 13:55]

Forum celebrity

Login to get fewer ads

Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 13:53 - Nov 19 with 1123 viewsWarwickHunt

"Poll Pot" - crying here...
Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 13:55 - Nov 19 with 1112 viewswaynekerr55

Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 13:53 - Nov 19 by WarwickHunt

I never knew Graham had taken up horticulture during his retirement

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 13:57 - Nov 19 with 1107 viewsParlay

Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 13:53 - Nov 19 by WarwickHunt

Are typing errors that funny then? Surely that time past around 15 years ago? I would have thout your contribution to this thread which was not part of an error but seemingly conscious thought is far more amusing?

Forum celebrity

Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 13:58 - Nov 19 with 1102 viewsParlay

Oh look i typed "thout" instead of thought that time, thats a cracker eh? I will leave that for the chimps while hopefully the grown ups can get back to intelligent debate. Jesus H Christ.
[Post edited 19 Nov 2014 13:59]

Forum celebrity

Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 13:59 - Nov 19 with 1094 viewsskippyjack

Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 13:43 - Nov 19 by Parlay

What in Gods name are you talking about you buffoon?

Im giving an example to the size of the bodies in space, it really isnt that difficult to comprehend. When you hear the size of a blue whale people say "as big as x amount of double decker busses stacked" but has anyone ever stacked the double decker busses or just simply made a size calculation? It is simply a vessel to display information to make it palatable to the human mind. You are being quite ridiculous I'm afraid.

You seem offended that I have given these examples about the vastness of space and have decided that i am trying to get a job with NASA or claiming to be a genius

Can people not discuss space without having to be angling for a job in NASA then or indeed being self proclaimed geniuses? You are treading the intelligence threatened tightrope that warwick does time and time again.

If you think its pointless then why the heck are you discussing it, now walk into NASA and tell them the vastness of space is pointless and indeed it is you they will be laughing at and not the facts they have contributed to compiling that I have simply relayed to you.

As i said to Warwick, please leave your insecurities at the door. If you wish to contribute to the thread then by all means do so. If you are here to simply be pedantic with your "ahhh but is the empire state building bigger than my pet hamster because nobody has actually measured it" nonsense then i suggest you post another thread with the heading "pedantic bollocks 101"
[Post edited 19 Nov 2014 13:52]

I'm being pedantic?

You've said we can fit 1.3 million earths in the sun.. f*cking obvious
You've said there is more stars than grains of sand.. f*cking obvious
You've said stars are bigger than other stars.. f*cking obvious
Is there life in space? Well considering there is millions of galaxies in the universe.. I'd simply assume that it's mathematically possible there is.. it's great when information is slapped right onto your lap ain't it.. try and come up with your own theory Parlay.. you might shock us one day.. then you might be able to have a valid opinion about space.

Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 14:03 - Nov 19 with 1087 viewsWarwickHunt

Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 13:57 - Nov 19 by Parlay

Are typing errors that funny then? Surely that time past around 15 years ago? I would have thout your contribution to this thread which was not part of an error but seemingly conscious thought is far more amusing?

*passed*
*thought*
Shocking lack of punctuation in the last sentence.

Funny as f*ck when some dipshit tries to pass himself off as an intellectual.

Log off, Dim - you're having a mare. Again.
Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 14:10 - Nov 19 with 1076 viewsParlay

Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 13:59 - Nov 19 by skippyjack

I'm being pedantic?

You've said we can fit 1.3 million earths in the sun.. f*cking obvious
You've said there is more stars than grains of sand.. f*cking obvious
You've said stars are bigger than other stars.. f*cking obvious
Is there life in space? Well considering there is millions of galaxies in the universe.. I'd simply assume that it's mathematically possible there is.. it's great when information is slapped right onto your lap ain't it.. try and come up with your own theory Parlay.. you might shock us one day.. then you might be able to have a valid opinion about space.

You seem to have changed your angle here. So you have gone from it not being fact to being "fu*king obvious". Holy cow.

You are telling me that its "f*cking obvious" that 1.3 million earths fit into the sun... Really? Well I've just asked 15 people and nobody knew. Im struggling to understand your anger, why didnt you just agree instead of getting offended by it if you already knew (which you obviously didnt).

You are telling me its "f*cking obvious" that there are more stars than grains of sand on every beach on earth?... Really? Well ive just told 15 people and the majority of them found it very surprising indeed.

You are telling me its "f*cking obvious" that our sun is 1.3 million times bigger in volume than the earth and there is a star 100 million times more volumous than our sun?... Really? Well nobody knew that when i told them.

As for your last bit, im not entirely sure what you have said, it seems you have agreed with me after all on every single point yet seemingly saying I'm not allowed to have a valid opinion. That is all the hallmarks of someone venting his intelligence insecurities on others.

You sound a lot like a guy on the cardiff forum, id give my opinions and he would say "everything you have said is so obvious you c*nt, you think you are clever" - yet everyone else would be debating nicely about the facts and opinions ive given and saying that they were in fact very helpful and often profound. Funny how people get angry on the internet when someone shows a bit of the grey stuff.

I haven't sh*gged your missus by any chance have I? Your posts seem incredibly irrational.

Lets just be glad that you now agree with me in every single aspect.

Forum celebrity

Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 14:14 - Nov 19 with 1071 viewsParlay

Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 14:03 - Nov 19 by WarwickHunt

*passed*
*thought*
Shocking lack of punctuation in the last sentence.

Funny as f*ck when some dipshit tries to pass himself off as an intellectual.

Log off, Dim - you're having a mare. Again.

Read above pal. I already addressed it, I said i would leave it there instead of editing it for the chimps to get excited about. Looks like i was right.

Imagine someone with intelligence making a typing error, mad eh? Maybe one day you will be able to combat the content of the great dimi instead of lurking in the background and jumping up and down every time a comma is out of place.

I suggest strongly you do not read Leonardo Da Vinci's scrapbook you will have a coronary by the intelligence presented with grammatical oversights.

*stop saying clever things, sob sob*
[Post edited 19 Nov 2014 14:15]

Forum celebrity

Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 14:24 - Nov 19 with 1052 viewsskippyjack

Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 14:10 - Nov 19 by Parlay

You seem to have changed your angle here. So you have gone from it not being fact to being "fu*king obvious". Holy cow.

You are telling me that its "f*cking obvious" that 1.3 million earths fit into the sun... Really? Well I've just asked 15 people and nobody knew. Im struggling to understand your anger, why didnt you just agree instead of getting offended by it if you already knew (which you obviously didnt).

You are telling me its "f*cking obvious" that there are more stars than grains of sand on every beach on earth?... Really? Well ive just told 15 people and the majority of them found it very surprising indeed.

You are telling me its "f*cking obvious" that our sun is 1.3 million times bigger in volume than the earth and there is a star 100 million times more volumous than our sun?... Really? Well nobody knew that when i told them.

As for your last bit, im not entirely sure what you have said, it seems you have agreed with me after all on every single point yet seemingly saying I'm not allowed to have a valid opinion. That is all the hallmarks of someone venting his intelligence insecurities on others.

You sound a lot like a guy on the cardiff forum, id give my opinions and he would say "everything you have said is so obvious you c*nt, you think you are clever" - yet everyone else would be debating nicely about the facts and opinions ive given and saying that they were in fact very helpful and often profound. Funny how people get angry on the internet when someone shows a bit of the grey stuff.

I haven't sh*gged your missus by any chance have I? Your posts seem incredibly irrational.

Lets just be glad that you now agree with me in every single aspect.

It isn't fact.. and it's f*cking obvious.. you told them the answer? Maybe they don't give a f*ck about space..

Without 'looking' anything up.. I know that the earth is smaller than the sun.. if a teacher showed me a photo of the sun and the earth.. then asked me how many earths can you fit into the sun.. I'd look at it rationally.. my answer.. 'I'd say around a million probably'

I know the universe is bigger than beaches.. so if a teacher asked me is there more stars in space than a every beach on earth.. my answer 'well considering the universe is a gazillion times bigger than the beaches on earth.. I'd assume that the answer is stars'

Well considering the sun is one star out of more than billions.. I'm not shocked that one is bigger than it..

It's like saying what is 2+2 ffs.. I'm irrational?.. I haven't got a missus.. but I'd bet 100 dollars that yours is shagging some other bloke.
[Post edited 19 Nov 2014 14:29]

Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 14:29 - Nov 19 with 1033 viewsParlay

Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 14:24 - Nov 19 by skippyjack

It isn't fact.. and it's f*cking obvious.. you told them the answer? Maybe they don't give a f*ck about space..

Without 'looking' anything up.. I know that the earth is smaller than the sun.. if a teacher showed me a photo of the sun and the earth.. then asked me how many earths can you fit into the sun.. I'd look at it rationally.. my answer.. 'I'd say around a million probably'

I know the universe is bigger than beaches.. so if a teacher asked me is there more stars in space than a every beach on earth.. my answer 'well considering the universe is a gazillion times bigger than the beaches on earth.. I'd assume that the answer is stars'

Well considering the sun is one star out of more than billions.. I'm not shocked that one is bigger than it..

It's like saying what is 2+2 ffs.. I'm irrational?.. I haven't got a missus.. but I'd bet 100 dollars that yours is shagging some other bloke.

So you agree with me then?

.....But are offended because i put context into how big the cosmos is because EVERYONE knows the sun is 1.3 million times more volumous than the earth and EVERYONE knows that there is a sun 100 million times more volumous than that sun and EVERYONE knows that there are around 5 sextillion grains of sand on the earth - i mean of course everyone knows this and is engrained into you as you first start to walk right.... and the fact ive mentioned it means im trying to get a job at nasa or trying to be a "pariah" is that right?

Silly me, it was like 2+2 mun
[Post edited 19 Nov 2014 14:32]

Forum celebrity

Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 14:34 - Nov 19 with 1016 viewsWarwickHunt

Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 14:24 - Nov 19 by skippyjack

If she hasn't topped herself first...

F*ck me, imagine being subjected to that pseudo-intellectual arse dribble every day.
Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 14:38 - Nov 19 with 998 viewsskippyjack

Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 14:29 - Nov 19 by Parlay

So you agree with me then?

.....But are offended because i put context into how big the cosmos is because EVERYONE knows the sun is 1.3 million times more volumous than the earth and EVERYONE knows that there is a sun 100 million times more volumous than that sun and EVERYONE knows that there are around 5 sextillion grains of sand on the earth - i mean of course everyone knows this and is engrained into you as you first start to walk right.... and the fact ive mentioned it means im trying to get a job at nasa or trying to be a "pariah" is that right?

Silly me, it was like 2+2 mun
[Post edited 19 Nov 2014 14:32]

No.. if you put it Into simple terms for people.. they'd realise it's fairly straightforward.. but it isn't 100% fact.. which is fact.. you've tried to explain it as if it's genius.. when it's so obvious.. it becomes embarrassing for you..

The people who you asked have been sucked into a load of b*llocks you've read.. I haven't looked up anything.. because it's so straightforward.

Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 14:48 - Nov 19 with 970 viewsParlay

Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 14:38 - Nov 19 by skippyjack

No.. if you put it Into simple terms for people.. they'd realise it's fairly straightforward.. but it isn't 100% fact.. which is fact.. you've tried to explain it as if it's genius.. when it's so obvious.. it becomes embarrassing for you..

The people who you asked have been sucked into a load of b*llocks you've read.. I haven't looked up anything.. because it's so straightforward.

Are you sure you are not that guy from the Cardiff forum, you sound awfully similar to him. In what way have i presented anything as if I'm a genius? To me, and hopefully everyone else reading this, it is quite clear that this is an issue in your part not mine. How else would you have liked to me to present it?

I remember fondly, in a debate about physics once, I stated that the smallest matter known to man was a quark. He similarly flew off the handle into a tirade of abuse that its embarrassing that I'm even saying it and im no genius, in fact everybody would know such a thing. Of course they would right?

It seems message boards develop this thing in certain people. Its odd.

Its weird that you say its so straight forward and then call it "a load of bollocks". Surely its one or the other?

Now onto your last post and your description of why what ive said "is so obvious"...

my point wasn't that ONE star was bigger than the sun, it was suggesting a scale almost unimaginable to the human mind. 100 million times bigger than something over a million times bigger than anything we have ever known - and thats still a mere particle on the scale of the cosmos.

Also my point wasn't that galaxies are bigger than beaches. Grains of sand are tightly packed together and cover the parameters and seabeds of our whole existence. Your workings that "galaxies are bigger so there must be more stars" doesn't really hold much weight. I mean there is one moon from earth to the moon and in that distance you can fit every planet of the solar system into it.

And although you say you knew the sun was "about a million times bigger than earth" id put every dime i own in the fact that you had no idea, and even if you did then you should possess enough of a level of intelligence to realise that not everybody will and that a statistic like that can put into context the vastness of space, which was indeed the point before the resident intelligence-a-phobics came out in force.

Now maybe its best you stop there as surely everything of any substance that everybody ever posts is going to be "f*cking obvious" and you will be accusing everyone of "passing themselves off as x profession". This is a message board, stop getting so offended by people discussing the subject matter.

Maybe make a thread about how obvious stuff is and have a chat in there.
[Post edited 19 Nov 2014 14:51]

Forum celebrity

Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 14:55 - Nov 19 with 962 viewsPonderosa

Is there life in Peckham?

Bring The Missus

Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 15:06 - Nov 19 with 941 viewsLord_Bony

Too bloody right mate!

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 15:10 - Nov 19 with 935 viewsskippyjack

Intelligence.. Parlay.. Intelligence is learning something you don't read or isn't in front of you.. out of pure thought and imagination.. if you put 100 people in a room.. explained the concept of the earth and sun In simple terms.. 60 to 70 people would say in between.. 750k & 1.5 million out of just pure guess work.. try it Parlay.. go on.. and give me the results.. (remember don't over complicate it.. explain it in simple terms.. Don't show total arrogance to the audience.. give them a little bit of simple understanding.. because 60 or 70 people will not get you).. plus I bet the most said answer is a million.
[Post edited 19 Nov 2014 15:13]

Is There Intelligent Life Out There on 15:15 - Nov 19 with 926 viewsonetimejack

I bet you boys can write a wicked letter of complaint.

Poll: Should Jackfath refrain from starting threads in the football only board

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024