Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Colonial days and the natives 20:10 - Aug 28 with 11503 viewsperchrockjack

Seeing that African countries seem to be basket cases with people looking to do anything to escape, I ask the question.

Were they better off under colonial rule

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Colonial days and the natives (n/t) on 10:22 - Aug 31 with 1469 viewssherpajacob

Perch asking some Africans "who would prefer colonial rule?"
[Post edited 31 Aug 2015 10:30]

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Colonial days and the natives on 10:35 - Aug 31 with 1445 viewsperchrockjack

a smart arse cut and paste with another personal dig.

Quite why the feck is it you cant reply simply to the topic. Honest ,its easy.

I ll show you ...

I don't believe they were better off under colonial rule as they were basically slaves with no freedom whilst the colonials raped the land- the women also- and left nothing but turmoil eyes.

Western Eyes always looking out for the biggest prize

Colonial days and the natives on 10:38 - Aug 31 with 1443 viewsProfessor

It seems to take time for stability to come. Almost if the tribal/racial structures have to be resolved before progress. I have experience of two countries. Ethiopia which was not really colonised, apart from a brief period under Mussolini, and Malawi. Malawi as a poor but small country is relatively stable, but still feels a bit colonial as Blantyre the commercial centre has a high expat community and lots of UK support via DFID and charities. A lovely place but I don't see how it will rise from rural poverty.

Ethiopia is a more dynamic place with along imperial history of its own. It amalgamates many peoples Amhara, Oromia, Tigray, omo, etc. and Islam and orthodox Christianity
The succession of Eritrea was initially successful but wars with bigger Ethiopia have drained it. Of course Ethiopia had its darkest days under the 'Marxist' Derg regime in the 70s and 80s. If you want to see non-colonial horror go the the Red Terror Museum in Addis Ababa. What tells me something is Menigistu, the Derg leader, lives in exiled luxury in Zimbabwe. In 6 years the country has changed. Life is generally better for rural people as well as in the cities. It may have a price with lack of press freedom and human rights- the things we hanker after, but perhaps water food and electricity matter more. So I think Africa can manage itself, but will need time and help. Having worked with DFID money there, we can make a difference in getting countries into a better position, and given our wealth is built on colonialism perhaps we have a duty to help in this prolonged and often painful transfer.
Colonial days and the natives on 11:04 - Aug 31 with 1420 viewsperchrockjack

Thanks Paul for that.
An educated ,pertinent answer

My concern is still the tribal system in many countries of west Africa and the manner in which they waste natural resources.

Colonial days and the natives on 11:31 - Aug 31 with 1398 viewsProfessor

Colonial days and the natives on 11:04 - Aug 31 by perchrockjack

Thanks Paul for that.
An educated ,pertinent answer

My concern is still the tribal system in many countries of west Africa and the manner in which they waste natural resources.

From colleagues I know corruption is more evident in West Africa and especially in francophone countries. Tribalism is of course a problem. Less evident in Ethiopia due to rule of Solomonic emperors until selassie
Colonial days and the natives on 11:34 - Aug 31 with 1394 viewsDarran

Don't mention Comic Relief FFS.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Colonial days and the natives on 11:51 - Aug 31 with 1376 viewsProfessor

Colonial days and the natives on 11:34 - Aug 31 by Darran

Don't mention Comic Relief FFS.

I will not. But remember the price of a pint is 2 weeks education for a child
Colonial days and the natives on 13:09 - Aug 31 with 1344 viewsHighjack

Colonial days and the natives on 11:51 - Aug 31 by Professor

I will not. But remember the price of a pint is 2 weeks education for a child

I couldn't even find a pub when I was out there.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Login to get fewer ads

Colonial days and the natives on 13:13 - Aug 31 with 1342 viewsProfessor

Colonial days and the natives on 13:09 - Aug 31 by Highjack

Plenty of bars in Ethiopia. About 40p a jambo (stein) at Harrar brewery
Colonial days and the natives on 13:21 - Aug 31 with 1342 viewsProfessor

Colonial days and the natives on 13:09 - Aug 31 by Highjack

Colonial days and the natives on 14:07 - Aug 31 with 1319 viewsHighjack

Colonial days and the natives on 13:21 - Aug 31 by Professor

The bars should give their proceeds to the education system.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.

Colonial days and the natives on 14:08 - Aug 31 with 1316 viewsperchrockjack

Seems we r divided on this subject then

Colonial days and the natives on 04:40 - Sep 1 with 1249 viewsHumpty

Colonial days and the natives on 19:41 - Aug 30 by Lohengrin

What you've done, Hump, is quote a partial section of a single missive culled from what is an absolutely vast archive bereft of context and, crucially, omitting the response.

Heh! Ok then. I've correctly quoted British officials discussing the best way to torture black Africans. But I am bereft of context? Ok Loh using context, how should we torture black Africans? Use all the context you like.

Kiddies. This is what Fascism look's like. They worry about how British officials correspond about torturing Africans. Even when they name the actual organs you're not allowed to beat, they will try to make some kind of excuse for it.

Specifically the spleen, liver and kidneys shouldn't be beaten. In British detention camps. But I'm taking it "out of context".

F*ck off Loh. You're not winning this one.
Colonial days and the natives on 07:24 - Sep 1 with 1233 viewsHighjack

Oh yes he is.

Colonial days and the natives on 09:03 - Sep 1 with 1215 viewsperchrockjack

Meanwhile, back on topic, the Isle of MAN is still a Crown colony, bless them.

Colonial days and the natives on 11:09 - Sep 1 with 1183 viewsLohengrin

Colonial days and the natives on 04:40 - Sep 1 by Humpty

Heh! Ok then. I've correctly quoted British officials discussing the best way to torture black Africans. But I am bereft of context? Ok Loh using context, how should we torture black Africans? Use all the context you like.

Kiddies. This is what Fascism look's like. They worry about how British officials correspond about torturing Africans. Even when they name the actual organs you're not allowed to beat, they will try to make some kind of excuse for it.

Specifically the spleen, liver and kidneys shouldn't be beaten. In British detention camps. But I'm taking it "out of context".

F*ck off Loh. You're not winning this one.

As I've already said all you've done is quote partially from a single missive by one official. That's not a discussion between officials, where's the interlocutory response?

If you want to be taken seriously I'd suggest you get some work done and produce hard fact in place of adolescent tantrums.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Colonial days and the natives on 11:25 - Sep 1 with 1170 viewsperchrockjack

Its why I posed the intitial question; to stimulate a serious debate. Sadly, it seems well out of the range of many mind s on here .

The best response has been from professor who has succinctly evidenced what Africa IS like not the guilt ridden edifice we bleed about.

Its aint my fault

It wasn't my dad, nor his.

My country didn't benefit..

I just wished we d stayed out of there and left the natives alone to voodoo and to tnd to their own soil.

We ve taken but also given and still are.

We re paying the price of our forefathers greed .

Colonial days and the natives on 13:32 - Sep 1 with 1128 viewsyescomeon

Colonial days and the natives on 11:25 - Sep 1 by perchrockjack

Its why I posed the intitial question; to stimulate a serious debate. Sadly, it seems well out of the range of many mind s on here .

The best response has been from professor who has succinctly evidenced what Africa IS like not the guilt ridden edifice we bleed about.

Its aint my fault

I just wished we d stayed out of there and left the natives alone to voodoo and to tnd to their own soil.

You're not likely to get many in depth responses like the Professors as most people on here won't have much experience, and when you made the thread you must have known you would get some of the responses you did. It's predictable from both sides of the debate. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle but the gap between both sides is so big the middle will be hard to find.

Things like infrastructure, sure they are no doubt better for that, but they would almost certainly have been better left to their own devices. It's interesting to compare the different approaches taken by the Europeans and the Chinese around the onset of colonialism. Both had equally advanced cultures and more or less the same level of technology. The European thinking was, we are better than everyone else, therefore we should go out and enforce our way of life on anyone else. The Chinese thinking was, we are better than everyone else, so why bother with anyone else.

Upthecity!

Colonial days and the natives on 13:50 - Sep 1 with 1113 viewsperchrockjack

Predictable responses are the norm on here but please don't make assumptions regarding my posts.

It was and is a simple question ,what is predicable is how personal it gets.

Professor doesn't do personal, nothing to do with knowledge, it's just human decency from a very decent man

Colonial days and the natives on 13:53 - Sep 1 with 1111 viewsHidden_Hand

Colonial days and the natives on 11:25 - Sep 1 by perchrockjack

Its aint my fault

Speaking of Voodoo, tens of millions still practice Voodoo including many in the US.

Its not really like what Hollywood has depicted it as, and has a lot of parallels with Christianity.
[Post edited 1 Sep 2015 13:54]
Colonial days and the natives on 13:56 - Sep 1 with 1128 viewsperchrockjack

From what I saw in Swansea a short time ago, it's pretty much practised here.

Colonial days and the natives on 14:34 - Sep 1 with 1108 viewsJackSomething

Colonial days and the natives on 13:56 - Sep 1 by perchrockjack

From what I saw in Swansea a short time ago, it's pretty much practised here.

I've stuck so many pins in my Perch doll, there's no space left. Is it working yet?

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Colonial days and the natives on 17:38 - Sep 1 with 1068 viewsperchrockjack

I ll send you one down.

We have an attic full of my daughter s dollys.

All colours and creeds represented as we were pre eminent in political correctness at its inception at her "posh"school.

Colonial days and the natives on 20:14 - Sep 1 with 1036 viewsexiledclaseboy

Colonial days and the natives on 13:50 - Sep 1 by perchrockjack

Predictable responses are the norm on here but please don't make assumptions regarding my posts.

It was and is a simple question ,what is predicable is how personal it gets.

Professor doesn't do personal, nothing to do with knowledge, it's just human decency from a very decent man

Has this thread got as personal as calling a group of people who you don't like (mainly because they have the gall to disagree with you) "cocksucking knobs"? Just wondering.

Poll: Tory leader

Colonial days and the natives on 20:26 - Sep 1 with 1024 viewsmonmouth

Colonial days and the natives on 20:14 - Sep 1 by exiledclaseboy

Has this thread got as personal as calling a group of people who you don't like (mainly because they have the gall to disagree with you) "cocksucking knobs"? Just wondering.

I think you're being a bit unfair, Perch has given credit to a poster for the best response.

Just a coincidence it's the one he agrees with...clearly all the others are just rubbish. Who could possibly quibble with such a balanced view?

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024