Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Official Rugby World Cup Thread 06:22 - Sep 17 with 81836 viewsSwansNZ

Will anyone beat the All Blacks? NO
Will Wales get out of the group? YES
Does anyone care? Quite a few.
[Post edited 31 Oct 2015 19:54]

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 01:34 - Oct 2 with 1592 viewsSwansNZ

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 00:29 - Oct 2 by longlostjack

Even in the seventies I was a perpetual pessimist and happy when we won - sort of self defence mechanism. Feel the same now, can see in my worst dream England hammering Australia and Australia beating us. But surely Australia will be up for it at Twickers, a bit of loose ball - and they'll exploit it. Head says good chance that England will be beaten tomorrow - got to drive those pessimistic demons out - but if I couldn't ever do it in the seventies what chance today ! Too late to arrange a bloody therapist now anyway - the game is tomorrow.

I doubt there is a Welsh rugby supporter that is not nervous, but I dare say the English and Aussies are the same - actually I’m sure either would be happy to be where we are right now.

Australia are a good team, and just because England have to beat them, does not mean they will. Just because Australia always beat Wales, does not mean they will.

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 03:31 - Oct 2 with 1569 viewsAquinas

We were awful today. The tactics employed on the field were abysmal. Fiji are a mediocre team but world class at sevens.. so what do we try and do? Play them at their own game (as if we're the all blacks) and get found out.

If Biggar was swapped with their 10 we would have lost the match.

I said as much to my rugby supporting friends and they were aghast at my reaction and it made me realise that rugby is completely devoid of any humour/criticism. When the swans lose and countless people go into meltdown on here, the sensible posters attack the view of the poster rather than the loyalty of the person writing it. But with rugby, anyone slating tonight's performance is usually told to 'F*ck off'. It seems like you can't criticise anything about the sport/it's global reach/individual player performance at all. We must blindly follow 'the boys' no matter how they perform. people like Scott Baldwin are treated like a deity.

As awful (at times) as they are, football has Soccer AM/ fan youtube channels etc which provide debate and comedy. What does rugby have? Scrum V reporting from some division 4 east side in Tredegar?

And while I'm on this rant, I might as well mention the attendance point... every amateur club near me receives a number of tickets for wales (rugby) games so i assume it is a nationwide policy.. If the FAW did that it would make the attendances rise immeasurably. Why won't they do that? Because football doesn't need to offer fans tickets on a plate to attend international matches whereas the rugby does because most fans aren't interested in domestic rugby and need their interest resparked.
The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 04:02 - Oct 2 with 1566 viewsSwansNZ

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 03:31 - Oct 2 by Aquinas

We were awful today. The tactics employed on the field were abysmal. Fiji are a mediocre team but world class at sevens.. so what do we try and do? Play them at their own game (as if we're the all blacks) and get found out.

I said as much to my rugby supporting friends and they were aghast at my reaction and it made me realise that rugby is completely devoid of any humour/criticism. When the swans lose and countless people go into meltdown on here, the sensible posters attack the view of the poster rather than the loyalty of the person writing it. But with rugby, anyone slating tonight's performance is usually told to 'F*ck off'. It seems like you can't criticise anything about the sport/it's global reach/individual player performance at all. We must blindly follow 'the boys' no matter how they perform. people like Scott Baldwin are treated like a deity.

As awful (at times) as they are, football has Soccer AM/ fan youtube channels etc which provide debate and comedy. What does rugby have? Scrum V reporting from some division 4 east side in Tredegar?

And while I'm on this rant, I might as well mention the attendance point... every amateur club near me receives a number of tickets for wales (rugby) games so i assume it is a nationwide policy.. If the FAW did that it would make the attendances rise immeasurably. Why won't they do that? Because football doesn't need to offer fans tickets on a plate to attend international matches whereas the rugby does because most fans aren't interested in domestic rugby and need their interest resparked.

Yes, Wales did not play well at all, I don’t think you’ll find people saying any different here. The structure fell apart in the 2nd half — something Fiji love, and as you say, they are world class at 7s, so like broken play to just ruin at the opposition. They are not a bad side at 15s either, Australia failed to get a bonus point, despite them being fresh and Fiji having played England 5 days before. England were lucky to be awarded a dubious 4th try after the clock had passed 80 minutes. Wales looked tired, but we now have 9 days until the next game, when I hope we are battling with Australia for 1st/2nd place.

I don’t know how they do it these days, but in the good old days, all clubs would get allocated so many tickets to sell (not free). I guess they might get some free ones too — it’s a union after all, made up by the clubs, so in effect, they each own a share of the Wales rugby team. They certainly don’t need to give free tickets to get people to attend Wales games.

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 07:10 - Oct 2 with 1547 viewsLord_Bony

Plenty of tickets on sale at Queen st Cardiff before the game about £65 ish. Was £85.

Touts got lumbered with a few of them.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 08:05 - Oct 2 with 1533 viewsBLAZE

Aquinas, if you want an honest critique of Welsh performances, read the Gwlad forums during / after matches. The posters range from very honest to brutal, you don't get the typical Facebook 'c'mon the bois' analysis. It's a bit of an eye opener for me as I don't consider myself a rugby expert, just a regular fan, and its interesting to read the opinions of those who know far more than me. Needless to say yesterdays performance didn't go down too well
The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 08:34 - Oct 2 with 1513 viewsPegojack

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 08:05 - Oct 2 by BLAZE

Aquinas, if you want an honest critique of Welsh performances, read the Gwlad forums during / after matches. The posters range from very honest to brutal, you don't get the typical Facebook 'c'mon the bois' analysis. It's a bit of an eye opener for me as I don't consider myself a rugby expert, just a regular fan, and its interesting to read the opinions of those who know far more than me. Needless to say yesterdays performance didn't go down too well

I'm no rugby expert, but I'm amazed at some of the comments on here regarding the Welsh performance. OK, even with my limited knowledge, and taking my cue from the TV commentators, maybe Wales didn't play well tactically.

BUT, I'm amazed no-one has mentioned the sheer feckin' physically of that game. Both sides were putting in massive hits right up to the final whistle and I thought the Welsh boys were magnificent, considering they had been through the mill five days earlier. This was typified by one incident a couple of minutes from the end when Jamie Roberts tried to burst through in midfield and two ginormous Fijians hit him from both sides at the same time in a massive sandwich tackle. He got, up, grimaced, blew his cheeks out and and shrugged it off. I was almost crying with pride!

Proud to be Welsh.
The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 08:35 - Oct 2 with 1505 viewsperchrockjack

on the other hand, "when the .. Swans" wtf has to do with with owt. YET ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF HOW PETTY MNDED WE ARE.

Truly, it kills me to see such crap.

Yep, WE WERENT GOOD, however considering we had so many players playing out of position and a Fiji TEAM so dangerous I m happy to have won. It was a valiant effort and people should realise that .

If we have to beat OZ we will and these persistent anti rugby know will have to swallow

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 09:01 - Oct 2 with 1483 viewstrampie

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 08:05 - Oct 2 by BLAZE

Lots on that site seem to be against the WRU and the WRU's team is Wales, lots on there seem to support the joking regions only.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Login to get fewer ads

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 09:46 - Oct 2 with 1464 viewsJoe_bradshaw

There are no free tickets for internationals. Clubs buy tickets from the WRU according to demand from said club. Once upon a time there was a sale or return policy but that was scrapped so clubs are careful about the numbers ordered. The system ensures that grass root rugby players can get tickets if they want them. Most don't - they watch the games in the clubhouse bar.

Yesterday was a huge physical test match and we were out on our feet until the raft of substitutions meant we finished the game on the front foot as we started it. I fear that we need Australia to do us a favour now and England will get every decision tomorrow night in the tradition of the host nation. We will probably need to beat the Aussies with half our team injured. Stranger things have happened but I have my doubts.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 09:56 - Oct 2 with 1452 viewsJackSomething

I turned on 5 Live last night shortly before the start of the Canada v France game. I figured they'd be commentating on Spurs in the Europa, but they were concentrating on the rugby instead.

The host was asking Paul Grayson and Matt Dawson about the OZ game on Saturday. When she first went to Grayson he started by saying something along the lines of 'it will be bad for the tournament if England go out, no doubt about that'.

I get this is a common view with the hosts of any tournament, but is it really true in this case? It's not like South Korea making the quarter finals in the football World Cup and igniting massive interest. All the knockout games will sell out easily whether England are there or not.

The only people I can see it will be bad for are the English players, staff and supporters, plus those English fans who have tickets and try to sell them at a steep markup.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 09:58 - Oct 2 with 1446 viewsSwansNZ

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 09:56 - Oct 2 by JackSomething

I turned on 5 Live last night shortly before the start of the Canada v France game. I figured they'd be commentating on Spurs in the Europa, but they were concentrating on the rugby instead.

The host was asking Paul Grayson and Matt Dawson about the OZ game on Saturday. When she first went to Grayson he started by saying something along the lines of 'it will be bad for the tournament if England go out, no doubt about that'.

I get this is a common view with the hosts of any tournament, but is it really true in this case? It's not like South Korea making the quarter finals in the football World Cup and igniting massive interest. All the knockout games will sell out easily whether England are there or not.

The only people I can see it will be bad for are the English players, staff and supporters, plus those English fans who have tickets and try to sell them at a steep markup.

Yeah it's a crap argument. Are they saying that unless Japan get to at least the semi final at the next World Cup, it will be a disaster.

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 11:18 - Oct 2 with 1422 viewsmonmouth

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 09:58 - Oct 2 by SwansNZ

Yeah it's a crap argument. Are they saying that unless Japan get to at least the semi final at the next World Cup, it will be a disaster.

It will be hard for the meejah who need the Inger hype to sell their products, as millions of braying fair weather rodneys suddenly disappear without a murmur. Still, I suppose they'll just switch back immediately to Rooney and grannies or whatever.

Maybe disaster for ITV (ad revenue unless already booked) and poor old John Inverc*nt/Doggielow/ Sir Woodentop though. What a shame never mind.

The boss of world rugby has already said that he wants England through. Of course that couldn't possibly influence anything. No siree.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 13:10 - Oct 2 with 1385 viewsymaohyd

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 03:31 - Oct 2 by Aquinas

Give me rugby to football anyday, this world cup has confirmed that for me. Great crowds, people who know how to behave, players giving absolutely everything.

I love the Swans and have followed them everywhere in my time, but as I say much prefer everything about rugby.

Blog: World Cup Performance = Transfer Speculation?

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 14:15 - Oct 2 with 1345 viewsperchrockjack

Referee will be under pressure Saturday and just hope he doesn't bottle it

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 21:32 - Oct 2 with 1270 viewsSwansNZ

Enjoying watching NZ play poorly against Georgia

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 21:33 - Oct 2 with 1267 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Georgia smashing f*ck out of the All Blacks with some massive hits on the. McCaw gone off after being battered. A very plucky performance by the minnows , forcing ew Zealand into a huge amount of handling errors

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 21:40 - Oct 2 with 1260 viewsSwansNZ

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 21:33 - Oct 2 by Brynmill_Jack

Georgia smashing f*ck out of the All Blacks with some massive hits on the. McCaw gone off after being battered. A very plucky performance by the minnows , forcing ew Zealand into a huge amount of handling errors

This is basically the Georgia 2nd XV too. They have a big game next week.

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 21:42 - Oct 2 with 1259 viewsdickythorpe

Some of these All Blacks are very lean and not as physically imposing as they once were. The full back and hooker are lightweight , in fact their aura is nowhere near what it was.
The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 21:45 - Oct 2 with 1255 viewsSwansNZ

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 21:42 - Oct 2 by dickythorpe

Some of these All Blacks are very lean and not as physically imposing as they once were. The full back and hooker are lightweight , in fact their aura is nowhere near what it was.

Quite an old team too generally. Still favourites, but not invincible.

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 21:46 - Oct 2 with 1251 viewsBrynmill_Jack

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 21:42 - Oct 2 by dickythorpe

A Georgian just got man of the maytch. Delerium in the Mill Stad lol

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 21:49 - Oct 2 with 1239 viewsSwansNZ

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 21:46 - Oct 2 by Brynmill_Jack

A Georgian just got man of the maytch. Delerium in the Mill Stad lol

Good on him. No NZ player played well.

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 21:50 - Oct 2 with 1237 viewsBrynmill_Jack

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 11:18 - Oct 2 by monmouth

It will be hard for the meejah who need the Inger hype to sell their products, as millions of braying fair weather rodneys suddenly disappear without a murmur. Still, I suppose they'll just switch back immediately to Rooney and grannies or whatever.

Maybe disaster for ITV (ad revenue unless already booked) and poor old John Inverc*nt/Doggielow/ Sir Woodentop though. What a shame never mind.

The boss of world rugby has already said that he wants England through. Of course that couldn't possibly influence anything. No siree.

Yes. The adverts with the giant English players walking to Twickenham shoud be changed too.................................................................................

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 21:56 - Oct 2 with 1227 viewsBrynmill_Jack

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 21:49 - Oct 2 by SwansNZ

Good on him. No NZ player played well.

I think the Georgians with the right coaching , youth development and funding could be another Italy in a few years time. Really impressed tonight

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 21:58 - Oct 2 with 1225 viewsskippyjack

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 21:56 - Oct 2 by Brynmill_Jack

I think the Georgians with the right coaching , youth development and funding could be another Italy in a few years time. Really impressed tonight

The second tier teams are all improving

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.
Poll: Best Swans Player

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 22:01 - Oct 2 with 1218 viewssherpajacob

The Official Rugby World Cup Thread on 21:56 - Oct 2 by Brynmill_Jack

They nearly beat Ireland at rwc 2007

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024