Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Shelvey 17:07 - Jan 4 with 6573 viewsstid

What exactly has he done wrong?
Shelvey on 18:30 - Jan 4 with 1906 viewsjruss1

This isn't about Gylfi though is it?

But if you want to compare, Gylfi has more goals, but that stat didn't suit your argument.

He also had more goals and assists last season.

If Jonjo worked as hard as Gylfi does every single game, he would be some player and this discussion wouldn't be happening. He doesn't and that's the why the club are selling him.
Shelvey on 18:32 - Jan 4 with 1884 viewsBanosswan

Shelvey on 18:10 - Jan 4 by jruss1

Urgh. Still people defending him?

7 years into his career and he's still having problems applying himself consistantly.

GM seemed to get through to him last season, he finally took things seriously, got fit,stayed fit and worked hard.

But it didn't last long did it? He's quickly gone back to what he was before. An inflated view of himself, lazy, unfit etc All we need now is an outburst on Twitter from his misses blaming someone else.

The excuses people bang out for him are boring now. How many times does the same thing have to happen?

When you think of his actual performances, how often has he reached his peak? How many assits? How many goals? People make him out to be this great match winner on a pedalstone ahead of the rest of the midfield, but it's simply not true.

His peformance v Palace was a real shocker. He didn't care, and nor was he afraid to show it. No doubt it's someone else's fault bar his.

Give me Leon Britton any day of the week.

In our current situation Shelvey is not what we need or want. We can command a ridiculous 8-10 million fee and when we still have Leon, Cork, Ki and Siggy to pick from, we would be utterly mad to turn it down when we can use some of that to improve our strike force.

The general view if that Rodgers didn't give me a proper chance at Liverpool, but he saw through his nonsense pretty quickly. If Huw has such a great respect for BR, he should have taken that as a massive red flag and not bothered wth him.

Pedal stone

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Shelvey on 18:34 - Jan 4 with 1873 viewsjruss1

HA! You know what I meant
Shelvey on 18:37 - Jan 4 with 1854 viewsstid

Shelvey on 18:30 - Jan 4 by jruss1

This isn't about Gylfi though is it?

But if you want to compare, Gylfi has more goals, but that stat didn't suit your argument.

He also had more goals and assists last season.

If Jonjo worked as hard as Gylfi does every single game, he would be some player and this discussion wouldn't be happening. He doesn't and that's the why the club are selling him.

Yes playing further forward , my argument is this time last season this site was full of people calling for england call up , Curtis can see once we get out this mess jjs is a key player.
Shelvey on 18:37 - Jan 4 with 1854 viewsBanosswan

Shelvey on 18:34 - Jan 4 by jruss1

HA! You know what I meant

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Shelvey on 18:39 - Jan 4 with 1847 viewsjack247

Shelvey on 18:37 - Jan 4 by stid

Yes playing further forward , my argument is this time last season this site was full of people calling for england call up , Curtis can see once we get out this mess jjs is a key player.

He is effective in the right system. I wouldn't be surprised if Pardew or someone saw him as a rough diamond they could bring the best out of.

In the system we were playing towards the end of last season/start of this, he is a key figure. The way we are looking to play now, he is a square peg.
Shelvey on 18:41 - Jan 4 with 1842 viewsSwanjaxs

This time last season we were 8th! We need players willing to sweat blood now, not a sulking big girls blouse like Shelvey

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

Shelvey on 18:42 - Jan 4 with 1832 viewsstid

Shelvey on 18:41 - Jan 4 by Swanjaxs

This time last season we were 8th! We need players willing to sweat blood now, not a sulking big girls blouse like Shelvey

Yes like I said thats what the squad is for, does Leon get in the team if we are 8th?
Login to get fewer ads

Shelvey on 18:47 - Jan 4 with 1805 viewsTummer_from_Texas

Wrong. This exact time last season, Jonjo was in the middle of a multi-game suspension for his cheap shot at Anfield. And there were rumours he was a dressing room cancer, similar to now. The opinions of JJS on this board were at least as bad as they are now.

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

Shelvey on 18:48 - Jan 4 with 1802 viewsmonmouth

Shelvey on 18:30 - Jan 4 by jack247

He won't for long.

I'm surprised people need this pointing out to them, but....

If we want to play purely to get the best out of Gomis, then Shelvey has to start. He is the only one who can play as a deep lying playmaker and produce 40 yard defence splitting passes out of nowhere. If we do this, we sacrifice most of the flair in the team and play at a fairly pesdestrian pace. The football will be turgid, but he is capable of producing something out of nothing. If he can play Gomis through the inside right channel, there is a good chance he will score. There is no need for Leon in a team set up like that and Gylfi becomes a workhorse rather than a creative influence.

If we want to play a triangle style game to get the best out of the team as a whole, we have to leave Shelvey out (or use him as an impact sub) as he is not suited to high tempo, short sharp passing. His game is much more deliberate. He will play slowly, assess options and now and then produce a piece of magic to open up a defence. Playing him in a fast moving side doesn't work as he just slows play down. This is a big part of the reason that whenever we have (had) a chance to counter attack, the opposition were invariably back in position by the time we got a move going, which leaves Gomis isolated against two centre backs.

There are pros and cons of both approaches, by the looks of it, GM preferred the first, AC prefers the second.

That doesn't take into account the fact that his attitude has seemed a bit off lately, he allegedly wants out (don't know if there is any truth in that), we need funds for a new centre forward and he is one of our most saleable assets.

I thought that he used to suit a fluid game when he used to pick the ball up and run at the heart of the opposition, creating space for our wingers and putting the defence on the back foot. then someone (Hodge? Monk?) told him he was Stevie Scally reincarnated and since then he's been exactly as you describe.

Anyway, we don't need a high maintenance dick 'might be' at this time, we need the cash. Sell.

I know I'll get pelters because of the goals, but Ayew might also yield a good price at the moment and he fits the fast moving triangle template worse than JJS. I'd think about that one too. Plus of course the Big Nancy.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Shelvey on 19:44 - Jan 4 with 1715 viewsjack247

Shelvey on 18:48 - Jan 4 by monmouth

I thought that he used to suit a fluid game when he used to pick the ball up and run at the heart of the opposition, creating space for our wingers and putting the defence on the back foot. then someone (Hodge? Monk?) told him he was Stevie Scally reincarnated and since then he's been exactly as you describe.

Anyway, we don't need a high maintenance dick 'might be' at this time, we need the cash. Sell.

I know I'll get pelters because of the goals, but Ayew might also yield a good price at the moment and he fits the fast moving triangle template worse than JJS. I'd think about that one too. Plus of course the Big Nancy.

Gomis is surely a gonner as soon as we get the chance. If not, we would be better off playing Monkball until the end of the season.

Ayew is an interesting one. You are right, he isn't ideally suited to triangles either, but with the embarrassing lack of firepower currently at our disposal, I can't see any way we can do without him.
Shelvey on 19:52 - Jan 4 with 1690 viewsswancity

Match winner, a real talent.

But needs to apply himself better. The sort of player who can unlock the best defence with a moment of magic. We need him but he must be giving it 100%.

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

Shelvey on 19:57 - Jan 4 with 1667 viewsperchrockjack

And also a match loser ,one who can lose interest very quickly.

Is he one we can rely on.

Answer was evident at selhurdt park and ehh he was hooked and excluded from next game squad

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Shelvey on 20:03 - Jan 4 with 1632 viewsVetchitBack

At the start of this season a combination of Shelvey and Gomis were carving open defences... How have things changed so quickly?

The orthodox are always orthodox, regardless of the orthodoxy.

Shelvey on 20:10 - Jan 4 with 1589 viewsswancity

Shelvey on 19:57 - Jan 4 by perchrockjack

And also a match loser ,one who can lose interest very quickly.

Is he one we can rely on.

Answer was evident at selhurdt park and ehh he was hooked and excluded from next game squad

I have seen him win games for us but not lose them. His impact can be questionable though. With the Euros in June he has the incentive to get into the England squad and that can benefit us. I don't think he's the brightest and can lose concentration. A bit like a thick but talented policeman, roofer, plumber, solicitor or carpenter, he can do his job well. And when he does it well there are few better than him.

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

Shelvey on 20:26 - Jan 4 with 1512 viewsperchrockjack

A decent reply but his talent is being wasted

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Shelvey on 20:34 - Jan 4 with 1501 viewsploppy

Shelvey on 20:10 - Jan 4 by swancity

I have seen him win games for us but not lose them. His impact can be questionable though. With the Euros in June he has the incentive to get into the England squad and that can benefit us. I don't think he's the brightest and can lose concentration. A bit like a thick but talented policeman, roofer, plumber, solicitor or carpenter, he can do his job well. And when he does it well there are few better than him.

Genuinely curious, which games have you seen him win for us? Southampton away (last season), Stoke home (partly, last season)? I'm struggling after that. He does hit a lovely 40 yard pass every now and again - but how many of them have lead to goals? Again - genuine question.
Shelvey on 20:50 - Jan 4 with 1461 viewsIslander

Shelvey on 20:26 - Jan 4 by perchrockjack

A decent reply but his talent is being wasted

His latent talent will never be fully realised - at the higher levels he lacks the requisite mental ability (cf Rodgers et al (al = Curt btw)

#thicktw@
Shelvey on 20:53 - Jan 4 with 1444 viewsskippyjack

Ah, old Jonjo Shelvey.. undoubted talent, suffers from bouts of irritable mood syndrome one hears.

England International.. must be worth 11.75 million with extra add ons.

Hopefully we can cut the anchor upfront and ship out to the sum of 5 million.

Kyle Bartley can be cut loose for a cut price 800k.

If Mr Tabanou wants to head back to France for the 3.5 million we shelled out.. we can't stop him.

Gain 20 million + for assets who have contributed to our awful demise.

it's a stellar idea mind.. save 20 million now.. or go down and earn 10 million.

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.
Poll: Best Swans Player

Shelvey on 21:55 - Jan 4 with 1373 viewsDavillin

Shelvey on 18:42 - Jan 4 by stid

Yes like I said thats what the squad is for, does Leon get in the team if we are 8th?

I assume that you're implying that Leon would not, but for the life of me, I cannot fathom the reason why you would think that.

I think that most posters on here wold put him in the team no matter where in the Table the team were --1st or last..

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

Shelvey on 22:15 - Jan 4 with 1323 viewsjacabertawe

Shelvey on 21:55 - Jan 4 by Davillin

I assume that you're implying that Leon would not, but for the life of me, I cannot fathom the reason why you would think that.

I think that most posters on here wold put him in the team no matter where in the Table the team were --1st or last..

Absolutely

Britishness...is a political synonym for Englishness which extends English culture over the Scots, the Welsh, and the Irish. - Gwynfor Evans

Shelvey on 08:57 - Jan 5 with 1175 viewskarnataka

Shelvey on 20:34 - Jan 4 by ploppy

Genuinely curious, which games have you seen him win for us? Southampton away (last season), Stoke home (partly, last season)? I'm struggling after that. He does hit a lovely 40 yard pass every now and again - but how many of them have lead to goals? Again - genuine question.

I know the goal was credited to Gomis because of a very slight deflection but I think the winner against ManU at home last season was really a Shelvey goal even though de Gea would probably have saved it but for the deflection. If it had clipped a defender instead of Gomis, it would have been given to Shelvey and not an OG.
Shelvey on 09:19 - Jan 5 with 1148 viewsNeiltheTaylor

Fat and lazy

Joe_bradshaw -I thought the cryochamber was the new name for Cardiff's stadium.

Shelvey on 11:41 - Jan 5 with 1097 viewsDafyddHuw

Shelvey - delusions of grandeur. Marmite player as the thread suggests. I wish he was 10% as good as he thinks he is.
Doesn't appreciate that talent alone isn't enough. Every top top player puts in a shift, otherwise they become the Shelveys of this world.
Never, ever a fit for this club. Was amazed when we bought him, was prepared to be wrong about him, but apart from a few flashes of inspiration my gut instinct was right. And the Gylfi head-butting incident. We don't know the truth, but my impression id that JJS isn't a cohesive presence in the dressing room.
Excellent opportunity for the club to get rid, along with Gomis, Eder, Tabanou, Montero, Bartley and Naughton.And replace quantity with quality.
Shelvey on 11:51 - Jan 5 with 1068 viewskarnataka

Shelvey on 11:41 - Jan 5 by DafyddHuw

Shelvey - delusions of grandeur. Marmite player as the thread suggests. I wish he was 10% as good as he thinks he is.
Doesn't appreciate that talent alone isn't enough. Every top top player puts in a shift, otherwise they become the Shelveys of this world.
Never, ever a fit for this club. Was amazed when we bought him, was prepared to be wrong about him, but apart from a few flashes of inspiration my gut instinct was right. And the Gylfi head-butting incident. We don't know the truth, but my impression id that JJS isn't a cohesive presence in the dressing room.
Excellent opportunity for the club to get rid, along with Gomis, Eder, Tabanou, Montero, Bartley and Naughton.And replace quantity with quality.

Wouldn't disagree with most of that but January is definitely not the time to be trying to replace 7 players. The best we can hope to do is offload Shelvey & Gomis and loan or buy a couple of decent strikers and I'd be happy with that particularly if those strikers have something to prove in the build up to Euro2016.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024