Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brexit might never happen 14:50 - Jul 21 with 7217 viewswestside

http://uk.businessinsider.com/brexit-economic-consequences-may-never-happen-2016
Brexit might never happen on 17:00 - Jul 22 with 1319 viewsjackonicko

Brexit might never happen on 16:53 - Jul 22 by londonlisa2001

It's actually probably easier if we align it to our financial year end rather than theirs.

Really? I would have definitely thought the other way around. Why's that?
Brexit might never happen on 17:06 - Jul 22 with 1302 viewsLeonisGod

Brexit might never happen on 16:58 - Jul 22 by jackonicko

There's no such thing as a majority view of lawyers. If you put 3 in a room, you will get 5 views. ;)

It's a geeky public law question that lawyers love to debate. I love this stuff but I have no idea what the right answer is. Just a point of view.

I still think we can just repeal the ECA and we are immediately out of the EU. Parliamentary sovereignty and all that. Article 50 is irrelevant and the two year timetable. Just repeal the ECA when you are good and ready.

Now, that would get the geeky public lawyers going. I think I still have the essay I wrote in about 1997 arguing this!

Yep, I've seen it said that parliament just needs to repel the 1972 ECA and then we're done. Which I suppose brings us back to the argument that the fact they're not acting may give reason to think that they have no intention of taking us out.

We'll find out I suppose, but not any time soon. If we don't leave though i predict a riot.
Brexit might never happen on 17:07 - Jul 22 with 1300 viewslondonlisa2001

There's no such thing as a majority view of lawyers. If you put 3 in a room, you will get 5 views. ;)

It's a geeky public law question that lawyers love to debate. I love this stuff but I have no idea what the right answer is. Just a point of view.

I still think we can just repeal the ECA and we are immediately out of the EU. Parliamentary sovereignty and all that. Article 50 is irrelevant and the two year timetable. Just repeal the ECA when you are good and ready.

Now, that would get the geeky public lawyers going. I think I still have the essay I wrote in about 1997 arguing this!

Ha !

Well I've little doubt that the lawyers will find enough work to keep them going for ages on this.

I think the issue with just repealing the ECA is that no one is then sure whether any law would apply and so they'd argue about that for even longer :-)

I have no idea - I'm just going on what legal and civil servant friends have said.
Brexit might never happen on 17:14 - Jul 22 with 1282 viewslondonlisa2001

Brexit might never happen on 17:00 - Jul 22 by jackonicko

Really? I would have definitely thought the other way around. Why's that?

Because although the EU budget is fixed, the relative contributions are based on the size of our economy relative to the size of the economies of other member states. And the calculations around the size of our economy (the relevant bits, which are Traditional Own Resource, VAT based own resource and Gross National Invome based own resource) are calculated to our financial year end (at least I believe they are).
Brexit might never happen on 17:51 - Jul 22 with 1264 viewsAnotherJohn

The first sentence is right.

Most PS members probably won't be interested in too much detail, but these links give a flavour of the debate..

https://publiclawforeveryone.com/2016/06/30/brexit-on-why-as-a-matter-of-law-tri

https://brexitdotlaw.files.wordpress.com/2016/07/paul-bowen-qc-brexit-paper.pdf

http://data.parliament.uk/writtenevidence/committeeevidence.svc/evidencedocument

https://ukconstitutionallaw.org/2016/06/27/nick-barber-tom-hickman-and-jeff-king

My own take is that one first withdraws from the Treaty of Accession and then adjusts the UK legal framework - but although I used to work in a related field I'm no expert these days.
Brexit might never happen on 19:12 - Jul 22 with 1242 viewssherpajacob

Brexit might never happen on 16:02 - Jul 22 by Highjack

as I said before
brexit means brexit means bugger all.

it might mean a Norway version, which is EU membership in all but name, and no say or veto.

it might mean complete isolationism, closed borders, repatriation and deporting's, with no access to the single market.

I think it will be closer to the first model, whilst many who voted leave possibly want it closer to the second.

What is your vision of what brexit means?, genuinely interested.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Brexit might never happen on 20:31 - Jul 22 with 1213 viewsWatchman

Brexit might never happen on 14:47 - Jul 22 by Highjack

That's exactly the point. There's been a large turnout for this referendum, the whole country has been engaged in some way or another. 35 million people have made the effort to have their say. And if Parliament dare to go against the result then a large swathe of those 35 million voters on both sides will say f uck that, I'm never voting again.

that is why the political minds have gone into meltdown

Whichever way they go they will upset basically half the population!

The intelligencia have complained about where has democracy gone but as soon as 'the people' spoke, democracy was not such a good thing after all and that those that voted to leave were racist bigotted stupid lazy unintelligent....
reap what you sow

I am but a dot, but a dot that can cause an earthquake
Blog: Ignorance is not Bliss but it sure is Funny

Brexit might never happen on 20:38 - Jul 22 with 1208 viewsItchySphincter

Brexit might never happen on 19:12 - Jul 22 by sherpajacob

as I said before
brexit means brexit means bugger all.

it might mean a Norway version, which is EU membership in all but name, and no say or veto.

it might mean complete isolationism, closed borders, repatriation and deporting's, with no access to the single market.

I think it will be closer to the first model, whilst many who voted leave possibly want it closer to the second.

What is your vision of what brexit means?, genuinely interested.

You might be waiting a while......

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Login to get fewer ads

Brexit might never happen on 20:56 - Jul 22 with 1197 viewsLohengrin

I don't think anybody needs to put much weight on what Hollande has had to say, he'll be gone before long.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Brexit might never happen on 22:37 - Jul 22 with 1163 viewsLeonisGod

Brexit might never happen on 20:56 - Jul 22 by Lohengrin

I don't think anybody needs to put much weight on what Hollande has had to say, he'll be gone before long.

He's not said anything controversial though. Just get on with it and don't expect access to the single market without free movement of people and paying for it. Whoever replaces him will say exactly the same.
Brexit might never happen on 22:50 - Jul 22 with 1152 viewsDr_Winston

Brexit might never happen on 22:37 - Jul 22 by LeonisGod

He's not said anything controversial though. Just get on with it and don't expect access to the single market without free movement of people and paying for it. Whoever replaces him will say exactly the same.

He might do, but any UK leader with balls would simply point to the trade deficit and negotiate accordingly.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Brexit might never happen on 23:19 - Jul 22 with 1129 viewsLeonisGod

Brexit might never happen on 22:50 - Jul 22 by Dr_Winston

He might do, but any UK leader with balls would simply point to the trade deficit and negotiate accordingly.

Worth a try, but as it's a fundamental principle of the EU I wouldn't hold out much hope.
Brexit might never happen on 23:27 - Jul 22 with 1122 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Brexit might never happen on 23:19 - Jul 22 by LeonisGod

Worth a try, but as it's a fundamental principle of the EU I wouldn't hold out much hope.

You meet tarrif with tarrif if neccessary. Winnie's bang on the money there, they need to sell to us more than we do to them.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Brexit might never happen on 00:37 - Jul 23 with 1103 viewsDJack

Brexit might never happen on 13:17 - Jul 22 by Lord_Bony

It would be an unbelievable travesty of justice if this has to now be decided by the High Court.

The British people have spoken, that should be enough. I really dont think the court has the jurisdiction to decide a constitutional issue like this.

If it does then we re fecked as a democracy.

Firstly my position... I voted to remain but as the decision is to leave I feel we must do it as quickly as possible.

Secondly, as ever Lord bony you are so subjective and emotional it is unreal. The referendum was not and is not legally binding (I know that you won't believe it but look it up). Also if the vote was the same difference but the other way round you would be screaming for a 2nd referendum as it was too close to be called a mandate.

Yes, as a democracy we are fecked as we let a political party's civil war decide our future in Europe.

So please stop your views on the EU interfering with objective thought...thanks

Edit: to say that I've finally read the rest of the thread and others have pointed out that the referendum was not legally binding. I must also say that for the arch-fascist May the Brexit will be a great excuse in years to come when her very right wing dogma fails this country.
[Post edited 23 Jul 2016 0:49]

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Brexit might never happen on 17:19 - Jul 23 with 1022 viewsexiledclaseboy

Brexit might never happen on 15:53 - Jul 22 by Lord_Bony

"Brexit means Brexit"...shirley.....?

Brexit means Brexit aye. It's just that no one has a clue what Brexit is, will be or can be.

Poll: Tory leader

Brexit might never happen on 18:10 - Jul 23 with 1001 viewsLord_Bony

Brexit might never happen on 00:37 - Jul 23 by DJack

Firstly my position... I voted to remain but as the decision is to leave I feel we must do it as quickly as possible.

Secondly, as ever Lord bony you are so subjective and emotional it is unreal. The referendum was not and is not legally binding (I know that you won't believe it but look it up). Also if the vote was the same difference but the other way round you would be screaming for a 2nd referendum as it was too close to be called a mandate.

Yes, as a democracy we are fecked as we let a political party's civil war decide our future in Europe.

So please stop your views on the EU interfering with objective thought...thanks

Edit: to say that I've finally read the rest of the thread and others have pointed out that the referendum was not legally binding. I must also say that for the arch-fascist May the Brexit will be a great excuse in years to come when her very right wing dogma fails this country.
[Post edited 23 Jul 2016 0:49]

"So please stop your views on the EU interfering with objective thought...thanks "

What the f"ck are you talking about?

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Brexit might never happen on 19:23 - Jul 23 with 970 viewssherpajacob

Brexit might never happen on 13:17 - Jul 22 by Lord_Bony

It would be an unbelievable travesty of justice if this has to now be decided by the High Court.

The British people have spoken, that should be enough. I really dont think the court has the jurisdiction to decide a constitutional issue like this.

If it does then we re fecked as a democracy.

The high court will not decide on brexit/ article 50.

The high court is there to decide the crucial constitutional question of whether the PM can use their prerogative to invoke article 50 or whether it requires an act of parliament.

Depending on the answer to that question it's then up to the PM or parliament to decide on article 50

What brexit will entail is anybody's guess.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Brexit might never happen on 22:10 - Jul 23 with 929 viewsDJack

Brexit might never happen on 18:10 - Jul 23 by Lord_Bony

"So please stop your views on the EU interfering with objective thought...thanks "

What the f"ck are you talking about?

You want out of the EU and you will not accept any argument put to you showing the positives of the EU or the negatives of Brexit...that's what I'm talking about.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Brexit might never happen on 08:01 - Jul 24 with 862 viewsLord_Bony

Brexit might never happen on 22:10 - Jul 23 by DJack

You want out of the EU and you will not accept any argument put to you showing the positives of the EU or the negatives of Brexit...that's what I'm talking about.

Don't agree with that. I'm 50/50 on the EU anyway.

My post is referring to the fact a referendum has just taken place.
The people have voted to leave.

Myself and the vast majority of voters were not aware that this vote was non binding at the time.

I am aware of it now.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"

Brexit might never happen on 08:10 - Jul 24 with 855 viewsLord_Bony

Brexit might never happen on 19:23 - Jul 23 by sherpajacob

The high court will not decide on brexit/ article 50.

The high court is there to decide the crucial constitutional question of whether the PM can use their prerogative to invoke article 50 or whether it requires an act of parliament.

Depending on the answer to that question it's then up to the PM or parliament to decide on article 50

What brexit will entail is anybody's guess.

Again if it's decided it has to go to Parliament for a vote on it and it does nt go through as a result..
That would be a bad day for democracy for the UK.

Brexit might never happen on 08:34 - Jul 24 with 846 viewsWarwickHunt

Brexit might never happen on 08:01 - Jul 24 by Lord_Bony

Don't agree with that. I'm 50/50 on the EU anyway.

My post is referring to the fact a referendum has just taken place.
The people have voted to leave.

Myself and the vast majority of voters were not aware that this vote was non binding at the time.

I am aware of it now.

There were a lot things the Brexit voters were unaware of at the time.

The penny's dropped for some of them now...
Brexit might never happen on 08:45 - Jul 24 with 837 viewsLord_Bony

Brexit might never happen on 08:34 - Jul 24 by WarwickHunt

There were a lot things the Brexit voters were unaware of at the time.

The penny's dropped for some of them now...

So were you aware that the referendum result was non binding at the time ?

I was nt neither was the vast majority of voters I would imagine.

Regardless on your views,that can't be right.

Brexit might never happen on 08:50 - Jul 24 with 830 viewsWarwickHunt

Brexit might never happen on 08:45 - Jul 24 by Lord_Bony

So were you aware that the referendum result was non binding at the time ?

I was nt neither was the vast majority of voters I would imagine.

Regardless on your views,that can't be right.

Yes, of course I was - I'm not a f*cking idiot...
Brexit might never happen on 08:52 - Jul 24 with 828 viewsLord_Bony

Brexit might never happen on 08:50 - Jul 24 by WarwickHunt

Yes, of course I was - I'm not a f*cking idiot...

Well good for you then.

Brexit might never happen on 09:38 - Jul 24 with 792 viewsexiledclaseboy

The non-binding nature of the vote was mentioned a number of times in the mahoosive referendum thread we had on here. As was the fact that parliament could, in theory, decide to not pass the legislation required to take us out of the EU.

Poll: Tory leader

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024