Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brexit might never happen 14:50 - Jul 21 with 7219 viewswestside

http://uk.businessinsider.com/brexit-economic-consequences-may-never-happen-2016
Brexit might never happen on 09:47 - Jul 24 with 938 viewssherpajacob

Brexit might never happen on 08:10 - Jul 24 by Lord_Bony

Again if it's decided it has to go to Parliament for a vote on it and it does nt go through as a result..
That would be a bad day for democracy for the UK.

So if our sovereign parliament which is the bedrock of our democratic system is bypassed on the most important constitutional issue currently affecting the UK, that is a bad day for democracy?

It seems ironic that those who voted to take back control because of concerns over sovereignty, now want to ignore our well established sovereign parliament and let an unelected PM use a legally non binding referendum to change our country forever.

Many did know it was non binding.

I believe parliament will vote for brexit, but they must debate and vote on it first.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Brexit might never happen on 09:56 - Jul 24 with 935 viewsLord_Bony

Brexit might never happen on 09:38 - Jul 24 by exiledclaseboy

The non-binding nature of the vote was mentioned a number of times in the mahoosive referendum thread we had on here. As was the fact that parliament could, in theory, decide to not pass the legislation required to take us out of the EU.

Yes the voters of the UK should have been aware of this.

The f"cling idiots...

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Brexit might never happen on 10:04 - Jul 24 with 924 viewsexiledclaseboy

Brexit might never happen on 09:56 - Jul 24 by Lord_Bony

Yes the voters of the UK should have been aware of this.

The f"cling idiots...

I was talking about you ya fool.

Poll: Tory leader

Brexit might never happen on 10:13 - Jul 24 with 916 viewsLord_Bony

Well my vote would nt have made much difference thanks.

I was talking about the UK as a whole,I can't recall anything being mentioned that this vote was non binding in the media to the voters.

Most would have thought when Dimbleby said "we re out" at the end of the result that would have been that.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"

Brexit might never happen on 10:57 - Jul 24 with 881 viewsexiledclaseboy

Brexit might never happen on 10:13 - Jul 24 by Lord_Bony

Well my vote would nt have made much difference thanks.

I was talking about the UK as a whole,I can't recall anything being mentioned that this vote was non binding in the media to the voters.

Most would have thought when Dimbleby said "we re out" at the end of the result that would have been that.

So if we take your (arguable) assumption that most people didn't realise beforehand that the vote wasn't legally binding as a fact, what difference would it have made if they had realised?

Poll: Tory leader

Brexit might never happen on 11:25 - Jul 24 with 852 viewsmonmouth

Brexit might never happen on 10:57 - Jul 24 by exiledclaseboy

So if we take your (arguable) assumption that most people didn't realise beforehand that the vote wasn't legally binding as a fact, what difference would it have made if they had realised?

Less w*nky suck it up type comments replacing discussion on the repercussions?

Nah.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Brexit might never happen on 12:04 - Jul 24 with 820 viewsLord_Bony

Brexit might never happen on 10:57 - Jul 24 by exiledclaseboy

Think people would have said whats the point...lets leave it to parliament..

Brexit might never happen on 12:54 - Jul 24 with 788 viewswestside

Theresa May said their going to reduce immigration down to the tens of thousands, yet two thirds of immigrants come from outside the EU.
Login to get fewer ads

Brexit might never happen on 14:34 - Jul 24 with 749 viewssherpajacob

Brexit might never happen on 12:04 - Jul 24 by Lord_Bony

Think people would have said whats the point...lets leave it to parliament..

The referendum was exactly that, the government asking the opinion of the people in a non binding way before making their own decision.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/07/brexit-is-not-deliverable-says-david-

It was covered in the media ( maybe not The Sun).

It's possible some of the 28% who didn't vote thought exactly that, i.e. I don't know, don't mind therefore I'll leave it up to parliament to decide.

Normally I would say to people who don't vote , feck em. In a general or local election with a range of candidates and a legally binding outcome where the winner becomes your MP, MEP, AM etc there is no excuse if you don't vote.

In a non binding binary referendum the non voters effectively count as "don't knows" in a formal government opinion poll.

So the result is
Leave 37%
Remain 35%
Don't know/ don't care 28%.

To invoke article 50 without a parliamentary debate would drive a coach and horses through our legal system and be contrary to our well established system of democracy.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Brexit might never happen on 14:50 - Jul 24 with 732 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Brexit might never happen on 14:34 - Jul 24 by sherpajacob

The referendum was exactly that, the government asking the opinion of the people in a non binding way before making their own decision.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/07/brexit-is-not-deliverable-says-david-

It was covered in the media ( maybe not The Sun).

It's possible some of the 28% who didn't vote thought exactly that, i.e. I don't know, don't mind therefore I'll leave it up to parliament to decide.

Normally I would say to people who don't vote , feck em. In a general or local election with a range of candidates and a legally binding outcome where the winner becomes your MP, MEP, AM etc there is no excuse if you don't vote.

In a non binding binary referendum the non voters effectively count as "don't knows" in a formal government opinion poll.

So the result is
Leave 37%
Remain 35%
Don't know/ don't care 28%.

To invoke article 50 without a parliamentary debate would drive a coach and horses through our legal system and be contrary to our well established system of democracy.

You talking about Brexit has become as futile as Trampie going on about Leanne Wood and Plaid FFS .

Let. It. Go.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Brexit might never happen on 17:23 - Jul 24 with 694 viewsjacktheripper

Brexit might never happen on 12:54 - Jul 24 by westside

Theresa May said their going to reduce immigration down to the tens of thousands, yet two thirds of immigrants come from outside the EU.

Year ending December 2015 there was net immigration of 184,000 EU compared to 188,000 non-EU, so your two thirds is some way off the mark
Brexit might never happen on 21:46 - Jul 25 with 618 viewswestside

http://www.migrationwatchuk.org/statistics-net-migration-statistics/#create-grap

Immigration over the last 25years has always been more immigrants coming from outside the eu than in it.

During the early 2000's non eu immigrants were six times that of eu migrants.

Over the last decade the number of non eu migrants is about 3.3 million and the number of eu immigrants is about 2 million so the number of eu immigrants is about a third while the majority of immigrants are from outside the eu is about two thirds.
Brexit might never happen on 21:57 - Jul 25 with 606 viewsAnotherJohn

Brexit might never happen on 21:46 - Jul 25 by westside

http://www.migrationwatchuk.org/statistics-net-migration-statistics/#create-grap

Immigration over the last 25years has always been more immigrants coming from outside the eu than in it.

Over the last decade the number of non eu migrants is about 3.3 million and the number of eu immigrants is about 2 million so the number of eu immigrants is about a third while the majority of immigrants are from outside the eu is about two thirds.

Then the accession of the A8 countries happened, quickly followed by the 2007 enlargement.
Brexit might never happen on 21:58 - Jul 25 with 605 viewsLeonisGod

Brexit might never happen on 21:46 - Jul 25 by westside

You're talking about different timescales. Jackripper is right in the non-EU migration is only slightly more than EU at the moment. Buy your point still holds. Non-EU migration, which the Government could control, is well above their target for total net migration.

Because they don't want to control it, because we need the skills that these people bring in. The irony is that although the arguement is that EU immigration is a drain, it's this group that pays a positive contribution to our coffers. More per head than Brits.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024