Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
South Africa holiday advice? 23:28 - Jun 6 with 2895 viewsSwanzay

Thinking of planning a holiday to the above, flying to Cape Town.
Travelling to either Pretoria or Johannesburg by train, then travelling to Victoria falls and Kruger national park.
3 weeks in total approx, anyone done similar? Who can provide any tips?

Looking to travel around end Sept/Oct.

Ta
South Africa holiday advice? on 23:43 - Jun 6 with 2437 viewsWarwickHunt

Don't go, it's full of Saffies.
[Post edited 6 Jun 2017 23:44]
South Africa holiday advice? on 03:05 - Jun 7 with 2378 viewsLoyal

Don't stop at traffic lights.
Carry a gun.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

South Africa holiday advice? on 03:12 - Jun 7 with 2390 viewsLord_Bony

Would love to go.

Heard a lot of positives about the place from Welsh guys who actually live there a big chunk of the year.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

South Africa holiday advice? on 03:24 - Jun 7 with 2382 viewsJackDownUnder

Don't go unless you are black, it's open season on whites!

Anyone who tells you any different is living under a bush.
South Africa holiday advice? on 03:39 - Jun 7 with 2372 viewsLord_Bony

South Africa holiday advice? on 03:24 - Jun 7 by JackDownUnder

Absolutely ridiculous.

It's quite a safe place but there are still certain no go areas and ghettos to avoid.

This is not 1976 ffs

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

South Africa holiday advice? on 03:41 - Jun 7 with 2366 viewsCooperman

South Africa holiday advice? on 03:24 - Jun 7 by JackDownUnder

Then I'm living under a bush.

Ridiculous statement.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

South Africa holiday advice? on 03:49 - Jun 7 with 2352 viewsmarulia

And if that fails take a shed load of cash as the cops take back handers and bribes
South Africa holiday advice? on 04:05 - Jun 7 with 2346 viewsCooperman

Sounds like one of those holidays of a lifetime. Very envious indeed.

Cape Town is simply incredible and I would suggest leaving a good week to ten days for this leg of your trip. It's not just the city itself, the suburbs of Camps Bay etc can absorb you day after day / evening after evening with the combination of views and dining.

As it sounds like you're not on limited time or a budget then a night or two at one of the Franschoek wine valley estates will also provide you with something quite unique.

The train to Joburg also sounds attractive; I've not done it myself but know someone who has and they were thankful that they took a premium ticket as it allowed a greater level of cabin and wash facilities etc. That journey can take 24 hrs so be mindful of that, but again if you're not on a time limit then I'd take the train over plane any day of the week.

Joburg isn't as nice as Cape Town IMO and yes there are some places that are off limits; the hotels will advise you on the do's and dont's which will also supplement what you can read online. I can't comment on Kruger but assume you'll use Joburg as a base.

You're thinking of flying up to Victoria Falls? That's probably the hassle free way. There are plenty of hotels in the region all of which will advise you on safari and river cruise options. Get on TripAdvisor and start your reading, if you're pushing the boat out on this then the The Victoria Falls Hotel won't disappoint.

Don't forget to take your camera, and make sure it's a good one :-)

Login to get fewer ads

South Africa holiday advice? on 05:47 - Jun 7 with 2283 viewsbuilthjack

It's football season

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

South Africa holiday advice? on 06:08 - Jun 7 with 2284 viewsSTID2017

South Africa holiday advice? on 04:05 - Jun 7 by Cooperman

Sounds like one of those holidays of a lifetime. Very envious indeed.

Cape Town is simply incredible and I would suggest leaving a good week to ten days for this leg of your trip. It's not just the city itself, the suburbs of Camps Bay etc can absorb you day after day / evening after evening with the combination of views and dining.

As it sounds like you're not on limited time or a budget then a night or two at one of the Franschoek wine valley estates will also provide you with something quite unique.

The train to Joburg also sounds attractive; I've not done it myself but know someone who has and they were thankful that they took a premium ticket as it allowed a greater level of cabin and wash facilities etc. That journey can take 24 hrs so be mindful of that, but again if you're not on a time limit then I'd take the train over plane any day of the week.

Joburg isn't as nice as Cape Town IMO and yes there are some places that are off limits; the hotels will advise you on the do's and dont's which will also supplement what you can read online. I can't comment on Kruger but assume you'll use Joburg as a base.

You're thinking of flying up to Victoria Falls? That's probably the hassle free way. There are plenty of hotels in the region all of which will advise you on safari and river cruise options. Get on TripAdvisor and start your reading, if you're pushing the boat out on this then the The Victoria Falls Hotel won't disappoint.

Don't forget to take your camera, and make sure it's a good one :-)

Kruger is a long drive from Jo'Burg (about five hours by memory)
When we went we stayed in the Kruger accomodation and did some drives on there, then drove about 100 miles North to a private game reserve - it was like chalk and cheese.
Both experiences were great, but make sure you do the Kruger first as the private ones will spoil you.
We landed in Jo'burg, locked the windows and doors and drove straight to nearby Sun City which was a great start to the holidays, before going West to Kruger.
We previously did Cape Town and stayed right in the centre, so much to do in the city (Robben Island and Table Mountain, as well as the museums about apartheid are the obvious ones, as well as Mama Africa for drinks and delicious food)
Make time to drive to the Cape (we saw whales, penguins, and loads of other wildlife just free in their natural surroundings)
The Paarl and the Cape Winelands are also definite must does.
TBH there is so much to do you need to look at what there is to do, ten prioritise as you won't get to do all the above in three weeks.
The people are great and it's a fabulous place to visit.
Have a good trip and feel free to PM with any questions
BTW the train sounds great but you must bear in mind it's a massive country and you are using a day just to travel - maybe save that for your next time back (it will definitely pull you back ! )
[Post edited 7 Jun 2017 6:14]

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

South Africa holiday advice? on 07:48 - Jun 7 with 2231 viewssquarebear

We flew to Kruger from Jo'burg as rightly or wrongly we didn't want the stress of finding our own way out of Jo'burg.

We spent four nights at a touristy place (Hippo Hollow) that was full of mostly Yanks where we paid London prices. It was great, mind. We did one day in Kruger Park, saw the big five, and also did a night safari in a private park which was ace, sat eating dinner most nights a few yards from where a hippo was usually dining too, did some hiking, rafting, horse riding, abseiling, ballooning. Definitely not a cheap holiday the way we did it, though.

We were there in their winter so heading out at 3am in an open truck could be a bit parky. I hadn't taken a hat so we walked to this touristy shop to buy one. They were selling a beany hat for the princely sum of £30 (this was in 2011). Outraged, I walked a bit further up the road to a shopping centre where ours were the only white faces. There I bought an identical hat for £2.
South Africa holiday advice? on 09:09 - Jun 7 with 2185 viewsfelixstowe_jack

The best time to visit the spectacular Victoria Falls is from February to May, directly after the region’s summer rains, when you’ll see the world’s largest sheet of falling water flowing at its greatest volume. The green season usually kicks off in about November with the first spring rains but it takes time for the water that has fallen in the Angolan Highlands to wend its way down to a series of massive gorges. It takes a few months for the Falls to almost literally gather steam after a dry winter in mid-year. Visiting Vic Falls can be a sensory overload: the noise, heat and moisture come to together in an unforgettable natural show-stopper.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

South Africa holiday advice? on 09:15 - Jun 7 with 2172 viewsSwanzay

Many thanks for your inputs thus far, yes Cooper using Joburg or Pretoria as a base then flying or train to both Kruger and Vic Falls.
Hoping to take my dad, although he is a bit hesitant to go to SA atm, due to his brothers experience of being there some years ago. My fall back destination is Canada.

Many thanks on the PM offer STID and your input Square.
South Africa holiday advice? on 09:15 - Jun 7 with 2172 viewsSTID2017

South Africa holiday advice? on 07:48 - Jun 7 by squarebear

We flew to Kruger from Jo'burg as rightly or wrongly we didn't want the stress of finding our own way out of Jo'burg.

We spent four nights at a touristy place (Hippo Hollow) that was full of mostly Yanks where we paid London prices. It was great, mind. We did one day in Kruger Park, saw the big five, and also did a night safari in a private park which was ace, sat eating dinner most nights a few yards from where a hippo was usually dining too, did some hiking, rafting, horse riding, abseiling, ballooning. Definitely not a cheap holiday the way we did it, though.

We were there in their winter so heading out at 3am in an open truck could be a bit parky. I hadn't taken a hat so we walked to this touristy shop to buy one. They were selling a beany hat for the princely sum of £30 (this was in 2011). Outraged, I walked a bit further up the road to a shopping centre where ours were the only white faces. There I bought an identical hat for £2.

We did Hippo Hollow too. As you say a bit more for the tourists but lovely duplex room with a view of the river with hippos swimming past.

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

South Africa holiday advice? on 09:51 - Jun 7 with 2157 viewsProfessor

Was in Cape Town for work about 18 months back-superb city and safe enough if you are sensible. Great food and drink and really cheap. As I had limited time I went on a couple of private tours- a car, a guide and about 4-5 people using a company called Luhambo Tours. Did a one day Stellenbosch and Franshoek wine tour-great wines and amazing scenery and a Cape Point/Boulders Beach/Constantia tour- basically morning sight seeing then afternoon wine tasting. Both cost about 40 quid and well worth it.

Some excellent seafood restaurants around the waterfront (waterkant) and the local Hussar Grill Chain does superb steaks- I had a starter, T-bone with monkey gland sauce (local speciality) and two glasses of very good wine for about 15 quid.
South Africa holiday advice? on 10:06 - Jun 7 with 2133 viewsLoyal

South Africa holiday advice? on 03:39 - Jun 7 by Lord_Bony

Absolutely ridiculous.

It's quite a safe place but there are still certain no go areas and ghettos to avoid.

This is not 1976 ffs

However, be mindful in the built up areas is my advice, seriously, the low country has low crime but the city's have some of the highest in what is described as the civilised world.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

South Africa holiday advice? on 10:11 - Jun 7 with 2125 viewsBrynmill_Jack

South Africa holiday advice? on 03:41 - Jun 7 by Cooperman

Then I'm living under a bush.

Ridiculous statement.

I met a lovely lad from Capetown on a course in January. Apparently it is getting steadily worse out there. He told me that's why he left and he's definitely no racist.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

South Africa holiday advice? on 11:18 - Jun 7 with 2107 viewsJBG

my brother has lived there 50 years in camps bay cape town, no trouble, spent loads of time over there cheap as chips
South Africa holiday advice? on 20:32 - Jun 7 with 1907 viewsCooperman

South Africa holiday advice? on 09:15 - Jun 7 by Swanzay

Many thanks for your inputs thus far, yes Cooper using Joburg or Pretoria as a base then flying or train to both Kruger and Vic Falls.
Hoping to take my dad, although he is a bit hesitant to go to SA atm, due to his brothers experience of being there some years ago. My fall back destination is Canada.

Many thanks on the PM offer STID and your input Square.

Canada is a very good alternative.

South Africa holiday advice? on 20:33 - Jun 7 with 1905 viewsCooperman

South Africa holiday advice? on 11:18 - Jun 7 by JBG

my brother has lived there 50 years in camps bay cape town, no trouble, spent loads of time over there cheap as chips

Camps Bay and The Cape itself remind me of Gower.

South Africa holiday advice? on 20:43 - Jun 7 with 1885 viewsperchrockjack

Had two weeks in Canada last autumn. Travelled independently,went anywhere and everywhere with no incidents . Walked around at night, late . Hell, our ladies had a night on their own in Montreal . Went into the hinterland in Quebec to towns where they spoke only French .

Not particularly welcoming but didn't feel they d rape ,mug or murder us.

Doubt this would happen in South Africa

Where have they hidden the Whites now

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

(No subject) (n/t) on 20:59 - Jun 7 with 1885 viewsJackanapes

South Africa holiday advice? on 20:33 - Jun 7 by Cooperman

oops
[Post edited 7 Jun 2017 21:01]

“The stupidest thing she knew was for people to act like they knew all about the things they knew absolutely nothing about.”

South Africa holiday advice? on 21:01 - Jun 7 with 1884 viewsJackanapes

South Africa holiday advice? on 20:33 - Jun 7 by Cooperman

Worked in Rustenburg in late 80s. I imagine things have changed a lot since then though. Rustenburg was just a stones throw from Sun City. What we saw wasn't mind blowing the times we went. Eastern Transvaal very much like Gower( I just checked, its not called Eastern Transvaal any more but Mpumalanga, like I said, things have changed . You(The op) must check out Gods Window. We caught it on the same trip as we did Kruger.
[Post edited 7 Jun 2017 21:08]

“The stupidest thing she knew was for people to act like they knew all about the things they knew absolutely nothing about.”

South Africa holiday advice? on 09:54 - Jun 8 with 1786 viewsProfessor

South Africa holiday advice? on 20:43 - Jun 7 by perchrockjack

Had two weeks in Canada last autumn. Travelled independently,went anywhere and everywhere with no incidents . Walked around at night, late . Hell, our ladies had a night on their own in Montreal . Went into the hinterland in Quebec to towns where they spoke only French .

Not particularly welcoming but didn't feel they d rape ,mug or murder us.

Doubt this would happen in South Africa

Where have they hidden the Whites now

Nice place Canada, just a little dull-though Montreal is a cool city, Toronto is nice but dull. Been to Vancouver Island(Victoria) which is lovely, but not been the of Vancouver city itself.

The Quebecois are funny lot-though remarkably nice is you speak even a little French. The biggest shock is being is a clearly North American city, yet hearing French as the main language. That said I preferred Cape Town though safety is an issue. That said I found New Orleans to be much scarier!
South Africa holiday advice? on 09:57 - Jun 8 with 1783 viewsdickythorpe

Never met a nice South African.....

Very macho and aggressive, and the men weren't much better!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024