Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
for any jam/weller fans 15:38 - May 18 with 6639 viewsthemodfather

new weller lp out today "saturns pattern" on various formats..also a book by genesis publications called "into tomorrow" finally printed, very pricey, check their site for availability....rick buckler has a new book out called "that's entertainment/my life in the jam" , foxton is trying to raise money via pledge music for a new lp...there's a new jam book/cd linked to an exhibition this summer at somerset house, called "growing up with the jam", orders via pledge music again.....then there's weller/the who in june this year at hyde park....( hope the credit card can handle it all!!!) cheers

for any jam/weller fans on 16:20 - May 18 with 4850 viewsWilloW4

Blimey modfather, have you got shares in a Paul weller trust fund...heard stuff from his new album, not bad but a bit samey... I worked with Bruce foxton when he was with Stiff Little Fingers, a nice bloke(plastic Spurs fan).. likes a drink and a fine bass player... As for Rick buckler, again, a good fella, but hide the vino cos he's a beast on the stuff... Even though I'm a Rocker, I still think the jam are one of England's finest bands...... Footnote: glad to see Weller isn't as orange as he has been.

for any jam/weller fans on 16:43 - May 18 with 4809 viewskingsburyR

I will never get the need for the music industry to lavish one man with prise of a god like status.

Loved his stuff when he was in the style council and The Jam but since that.....hmmmmm.

Yet he's labeled the ModFather and worshipped!!

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

for any jam/weller fans on 16:47 - May 18 with 4803 viewsWilloW4

I thought the style council were deeply average... And as for "Paul weller movement"... Must be one of the worst names for a band.

for any jam/weller fans on 17:10 - May 18 with 4778 viewshovehoop

Seen Weller maybe 8 to 10 times live since The Jam. Most recently watched his gig at the Royal Albert Hall. He continues to innovate though to me, loses sight that many of his followers want to hear at least a bit of his earlier stuff. Though he didn't play any. And by the end, half the crowd had left and many were moaning on their way out. My brother joined me at that gig to watch Weller for the first time. He expected a lot though left underwhelmed, preferring the support act instead. I remember him doing the same years ago in the Mean Fiddler. He has/has had a lot of followers who like me, kept coming back for more. Though I realise I'm kidding myself that I'll continue liking everything he does. He played in a music festival in Brighton at the weekend near my home though I didn't bother going. Think I'll save my money for other artists in future.

for any jam/weller fans on 17:12 - May 18 with 4767 viewsTacticalR

My ever changing mod.

Air hostess clique

for any jam/weller fans on 18:19 - May 18 with 4705 viewsYorkRanger

Agree with this. Seen him about 8 times, and think he has lost sight of where he has come from. His fans enjoy his new music but his reluctance to play more than 2 or 3 tracks of his back catalogue is frustrating.

This is even more so for the people who go to see him and aren't passionate about him so want to hear songs they recognise. This was the case in the forest concerts at Dalby 2/3 years back and he was caned after it in the local media.

Huge ego....

for any jam/weller fans on 18:42 - May 18 with 4679 viewsqueensparker

Great Jam video filmed round the corner from me on the bandstand in Queens Park

Spot the kid in the Rangers top

for any jam/weller fans on 19:28 - May 18 with 4652 viewsBrianMcCarthy

He really is deified in the English music press. They've given rave reviews to all of his albums, whether they were good, bad or atrocious. This makes me nervous about buying his stuff, but out of deference to his stellar work down the years (and he has produced some genuine brilliance) I will be sampling this. Guaranteed to be a few good songs as a bare minimum.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

for any jam/weller fans on 22:28 - May 18 with 4586 viewsMonahoop

I like Paul Weller and its good to see he's got another new album out. From what I've heard from it, it seems good enough, slightly back to basics stuff, but it's unlikely he'll make another album to match the quality of his first three solo albums, the self titled Paul Weller, Wild Wood [my favourite] and Stanley Road. Like a lot of his material, especially his more recent works they often need two sometimes, three listens to get a nod of approval. The only real dud album he has released so far imo, was Heliocentric. I tried to like it, but now it just gathers dust on my CD shelf. I hope to see him in Dublin in November.
I liked the Jam back in the day, but couldn't warm to The Style Council, a couple of good songs here and there. Did anyone see Rick Buckler give a rare interview on the BBC morning programme last week? One of the finest drummers of his era. His new book could be quite interesting.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

for any jam/weller fans on 23:26 - May 18 with 4538 viewsthemodfather

i must admit i don't like ALL his new work...some the the style council completely lost me, for me nowadays it's "collecting", the genesis publication books are expensive, his last one was either £295 /395 and can go for £1k, if you find one on amazon/anywhere..the new one, i got the deluxe £400, there's just 250 of them and then the standard version ( still top quality etc) £295 and ltd to 1750, and likely will sell out.
i went to the recent teenage cancer trust gig, and he stormed off 1st track due to monitor issues, ok get on the piano/acoustic and adapt the set....i didn't like that night. many want the singles or better known hits, he has 12 solo lps and 100 singles?? to pick from, i bet some loved it, not me. good cause of course.

for any jam/weller fans on 06:45 - May 19 with 4494 viewsDWQPR

Was a great fan of the Jam in the day, still have all their albums and singles, picture cover, and a few extra releases, such as That's Entertainment, which contrary to popular belief was never actually released as a single in the UK but was a German import that charted. A little known fact that the Jam got three singles directly in at No. 1 and after the Beatles was the only other band to achieve this at the time, in a period when it took a hell of a lot of sales to achieve a top 10 status, unlike today with so much minipulation of the charts and concentration on album sales. Never took as much interest in his solo career but caught up and feel that more and more lately he has gone 'all Clapton' and the quality of the songs are drifting downwards, whether this is because of the high benchmark he has set himself or because I am becoming a little bit less appreciative. Still, have my tickets for Hyde Park on 26th June, in the garden area when he will be supporting Acton's finest.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

for any jam/weller fans on 07:17 - May 19 with 4475 viewsElHoop

I've never seen him solo but did see the Jam loads of times and also the Style Council (at Albert Hall I think) who weren't much fun, and i even saw the Paul Weller Movement once if I remember correctly. I agree that he should do more early stuff as it was nearly all written by him and him alone and I would want to see a set made up of his whole career. He does of course have that as a backup option someday.

As for the singles going in at number 1, I think that those were very well packaged with lots of options in some cases - extra singles and 12" versions and so on, so they did manipulate demand somewhat.
[Post edited 19 May 2015 7:17]

for any jam/weller fans on 08:04 - May 19 with 4444 viewsjonno

Liked The Jam - Style Council not for me. Can take or leave anything he's done since TBH. My brother lives next door to one of the guys in his band - I won't say who - but by all accounts Weller is not the most pleasant of people.

for any jam/weller fans on 08:07 - May 19 with 4440 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Still remember the buzz when I first heard Town Called Malice. I was either 11 or 12, had no idea the intro was nicked, and couldn't care less when I found out. By then, I knew the lyrics and every note by heart.

Also remember the shock when they split. My best friend actually cried. I just doubled the amount of Jam posters on my wall.

for any jam/weller fans on 08:45 - May 19 with 4414 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I liked the Jam stuff and album with changing man, though I have since realised he nicked the opening from ELO (well maybe he didn't but that and overture sound very similar)

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

for any jam/weller fans on 09:14 - May 19 with 4396 viewsMonahoop

Although a good musician, he like many others in the music business are prickly characters. Van Morrison, Neil Young, Lou Reid and Ginger Baker to name but a few, all talented in their own way, but give interviewers, journalists, fellow musicians and even fans a hard time. I think Jools Holland summed up Weller nicely in his book by saying 'performing with him on stage is like standing next to a nuclear reactor'.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

for any jam/weller fans on 09:19 - May 19 with 4386 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Fair point.

Weller's off the booze and cocaine now. so hopefully that'll knock the edges off him. I still find him a walking contradiction, but when you've done as much media as he is, I suppose there are bound to be contradictions along the way.

for any jam/weller fans on 09:32 - May 19 with 4376 viewsJonDoeman

Definitely did!!

It Is What It Is !!

for any jam/weller fans on 09:55 - May 19 with 4367 viewsElHoop

Weller's dad was a proper boxer - Southern Counties ABA or something like that anyway. You probably wouldn't want to get into a scrap with Paul either.
[Post edited 19 May 2015 9:55]

for any jam/weller fans on 10:06 - May 19 with 4354 viewsDWQPR

No 12" singles released until much later in the day, certainly when Going Underground was released, their first No.1 if you bought early then like most singles in those days you got the picture cover, no other gimmicks or additional releases at all.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

for any jam/weller fans on 10:10 - May 19 with 4349 viewsElHoop

Yeah but most of the ones that went in at number one were the last ones I think - certainly Town Called Malice and Beat Surrender were pretty well package up as I recall.

for any jam/weller fans on 10:23 - May 19 with 4335 viewsstevec

Think he jumped the shark with that Tracie Young bird.

for any jam/weller fans on 10:24 - May 19 with 4335 viewsRisborough_r

From The Jam with Bruce Foxton are worth a look. I've seen them twice now and will be going to the Clapham Grand again this year. It's a 'That's Entertainment' tour where they will be playing all the tracks from the album . . plus the faves of course. Worth going just to see Bruce's barnet !

for any jam/weller fans on 12:24 - May 19 with 4299 viewsJuzzie

I like the Jam but never really got into any of his solo ventures.

I do a lot of work on Jam reissues so always good to see what other stuff has been unearthed.

Heads up: We're releasing (I only heard about it yesterday myself!) a vinyl LP in late October entitled "Live at the 100 Club" - only 2,000 will be made, get your orders with your local retails in now! ;o)

for any jam/weller fans on 13:24 - May 19 with 4258 viewsthemodfather

after the newky game, the dj in the bok...played "malice"/"entertainment" and "going underground" and got a good reaction

buckler says very little about weller in his new book, so either no sour grapes or staying clear....
for you rock fans check out genesis publications for their catalogue, their books are top notch and collectible , a ringo starr one of private pics is £1000.....
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024