Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bristol City Reflection 17:57 - Nov 11 with 8255 viewsbluenwhite10

A strange game of nothing really no clearcut chances for either side but we saw improvement from Rangers but I am not sure how much of that can be factored against how poor Bristol City was. The style of player today from Rangers saw wingers stay wide and a much better performance from Willock and high pressing but the crossing from Rangers in general was very poor when you measure that against the balls put in by Bristol towards the end. I believe the key today and quite rightly so was not lose and that was evident at the end when it was a straight forward change in Dykes for Armstrong instead of going for it with 2 up top but when you look at our bench it looked poor. But an improvement in general and looked a lot more solid at the back ….MOM Paul Smyth

Bristol City Reflection on 18:12 - Nov 11 with 7452 viewsHoopinEssex

I agree. Much better performance. Had a period in the 2nd half where we were well on top but didn't score. But I guess actually getting a shot on target might help that. Can only see us getting better from here. Really had it with Dykes. He's terrible. Hopefully Marti sorts this somehow in Jan.

Also don't think Armstrong's shout for a pen was a pen. Was in the SA upper and it was right in front of me and it looked very soft.

Onwards and upwards.

Bristol City Reflection on 18:20 - Nov 11 with 7358 viewsQPRConor2000

Hard not to disagree with that.

I think we do need to be patient with Marti Cifuentes. he will have a two week break now to work with the non-international players to work on his style more and he will really hopefully get more out the likes of Sinclair etc.

We are definitely better, but we badly need another striker in January.

Bristol City Reflection on 18:30 - Nov 11 with 7301 viewsHoopsie

The way we were playing and losing for a year it will take a bit more to turn it over. We can see the change already in the football but to impose a winning mentality and consistent performance from the squad will be incremental, step by step improvement, players getting comfortable with the new system and philosophy gradually, becoming more use to each other and getting the team coherence and understanding practice by practice, match after match

Not surprising Chair is one of the first player to respond to the change in style. We also see the likes of EDB staking a name for themselves when offered a chance to impress. Cannon takes off quickly and that is a positive for a player that just recently arrived. Willock getting the minutes, slowly getting to where he should, but needs more playing time to build his fitness and regain his confidence. Field, Cook and Paal look solid and consistent. Even Richards puts his head out from the shell and we can only hope there’s a player there but at least he’s given a chance like everyone else. We need more from our attacking players no doubt about it, but am hopeful they will come good, and if not, there’s still a possibility of loans and frees comes January window (can sponsor match balls, corner flags, urinals or director boxes, spectators’ seats to fund them if desperately needed). Surely with years in Scandinavia Marti knows a bit to get in one or two?

It all point to a positive start for cifuentes’s reign. We will get better and better but that will take time. I think we will have enough time and points left to climb out of the bottom 3.
[Post edited 11 Nov 2023 20:26]

Poll: Who will follow Rotherham and Huddersfield to League One?

Bristol City Reflection on 18:57 - Nov 11 with 7182 viewsqueensparker

Some thoughts just got home - the complete change in how we play after a week and a bit is really encouraging IMO - he’s clearly a great coach.

Interesting to see Paal basically move into centre mid when we had the ball in the first half, never seen that from a QPR side before and it was really effective in giving us an extra man.

Willock was OK but the difference between todays Willock and peak Willock is stark and simple - he can’t or won’t sprint. Whether that’s physical or psychological will determine his future I think, there were two or three times in the first half where he was set free one on one and peak Willock would have made hay, but he just toddled forward hesitantly. It’s sad to see. Not slagging him off, he put the effort in, but he’s not the same player.

Thought Kakay and Smyth had good games too, Smyth had a couple of genuine world class touches and Kakay looked like he was enjoying himself. Kakay also won us the point with an outstanding tackle in the last ten. Looking forward to seeing Cannon wandering into midfield alongside Paal though

Dykes had a game to forget and it seems from the crowd reaction around me he could be heading towards being our resident boo boy. Massive crowd too, seemed like a lot of tourist and randoms came along for the day.

But this team just lacks goals. No Chair made it more stark. If we can add some forwards in Jan we have to, we can’t go a whole season relying on Dykes Armstrong and Kelman.
[Post edited 11 Nov 2023 20:14]

Bristol City Reflection on 20:03 - Nov 11 with 6793 viewsBlackCrowe

Two games for Marti, two unbeaten, rot has stopped. Anyone expecting miracles after 10 days at the helm in a new country and league needs their head testing.

We've got underwhelming squad whose confidence and attitude has been rock bottom partly due to appalling management. Two draws seems like alchemy to me after the the past couple of months.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Bristol City Reflection on 20:22 - Nov 11 with 6663 viewshoops_legend

I am not a football purist but my god this football is so much better than what we have seen for 2 years. It’s not amazing but my god they are trying possession football and it works. Bring back in chair and we will be a force to be reckoned with

But can we ask the players to stop getting booked for absolutely ridiculous things like smyth today

Bristol City Reflection on 20:33 - Nov 11 with 6575 viewsterryb

Neither side had a goal in them, but it was such an improvement from us even though the first half was a non-event!

Numerous times we had three or more players in the opponents penalty area, although we didn't have one proper goal scoring chance. Sorcery! And we played passes to feet at times.

The players looked as if they wanted to play & all gave effort. Yes, Chris Willock definitely did! Apart from one dreadful cross, Ossie Kakay was bordering on outstanding (probable hyperbole) & possibly saved us from defeat with one challenge late on.

As Graham (one of our party) said after the game - "It's good to be going home not hating them"!

I bought tickets for the Norwich match today & at the moment I'm looking forward to it!

Bristol City Reflection on 20:46 - Nov 11 with 6477 viewslassel

Quite stark indeed how Bristol who the football hipsters were tugging themselves silly over just a few months ago, with a youth academy they would say Barcelona are jealous of we’re just as toothless and devoid of ideas as we were.

Bristol City Reflection on 21:44 - Nov 11 with 6224 viewsAndybrat

That’s because we neutralised them, I really think the team put in an educated shift, Colback moving forward as chief presser, love Steve Cook, looks like a clogger but really good on the ball and a helluva pass to Ozzie. The plan is starting to work, we were the better team today. EDB looked absolutely great when he came on and started bossing the others, loved that. 2 weeks ago I would have bitten your hand off for that performance. Rome wasn’t built in a day but feel like it actually is being built. Won’t survive on draws alone though

Bristol City Reflection on 21:48 - Nov 11 with 6193 viewsLazyFan

Colback was making it challenging for Brizzle to build attacks. When he went off, it was noticeable that we were exposed a lot more.

However, EDB looked decent again and Richards had some nice touches but he's not fit. Pring beat him to the ball that Smyth would have got, too. Also Richards is not a winger, he's an AMC.

zzzzzzzzzz

Bristol City Reflection on 22:18 - Nov 11 with 6030 viewsRsinWales

Overall, more pleased than not.

Very encouraging to see us holding onto the ball more and trying to build sensibly. I felt we controlled much of the match and tried to play on the front foot. I'm sure that must have been a positive step forward for all of the players.

I thought Smyth, Paal, Field and Cook had strong games. I also liked that Dunne adjusted well to a passing game. Paal and Field really put in a shift and were up and down the pitch from beginning to end.

I left feeling relatively positive, despite an obviously toothless attack. We didn't create the chances, nor look like we would be able to finish them if we did.

Good to see more of Willock. I hope he starts sprinting again soon, as the only way I see the current squad scoring enough to stay up is if his partnership with Chair 'clicks' again. Beyond that, we would need a cracking loan or two in January - but the latter feels like the stuff of fantasy.
[Post edited 11 Nov 2023 22:19]

Bristol City Reflection on 23:07 - Nov 11 with 5821 viewsDWQPR

Quite simply. If Ainsworth was still at the helm we would have lost that game at a canter. Suddenly we looked organised and I really enjoyed the press the team put in, first half especially where City pretty much failed to put more than two passes together in our half. I’m happy with the point and after only two weeks with the players and without our two best players today you can see that MC is a more than decent appointment.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Bristol City Reflection on 23:26 - Nov 11 with 5733 viewsNorthantsHoop

Better, but we need goals our major problem.

Bristol City Reflection on 23:48 - Nov 11 with 5650 viewsqprd

Willock had a pretty good game

Don’t agree on the sprinting … pace was never his attribute…. He is a linkup player whose primary attribute is ball retention and whose best mode of beating players is by doing that move where he kind of lowers his shoulder and goes to the right

He’s never been a player who just runs past people or behind them like Smyth does

He didn’t seem tentative physically …. Hes best when linking up with someone else… this would’ve been a really different game if chair was around
[Post edited 11 Nov 2023 23:51]

Bristol City Reflection on 05:48 - Nov 12 with 5331 viewsMelakaRanger

Absolutely. No new striker - and one that can score maybe 10-12 goals or more in the 2nd half of the season and we are sunk, no matter what other improvements Marti C is able to perform.

We should of and could of beaten Bristol. Same last week. Neither Dykes nor Armstrong are going to score more than a handful of goals per season.

Bristol City Reflection on 07:41 - Nov 12 with 5193 viewsLadbrokeR

I think Dozzell should have done better with the set piece corner. Admittedly he’s striking a moving ball but that would have been worked on.

Bristol City Reflection on 10:20 - Nov 12 with 4791 viewsA40Bosh

Nice to see Ozzie getting some positive feedback again.

I thought he was excellent yesterday apart from the late last ditch tackle.

City offered nothing- but a clean sheet is a clean sheet.

So far so good.

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Bristol City Reflection on 11:34 - Nov 12 with 4547 viewsbaz_qpr

I think both teams neutralised the other, almost dictionary definition of Stalemate. Lots of positives and a few negatives.

Positives:

So much better to watch, passing thoughtful football

Very impressed with Cifuentes to date

Really interesting to see the inverted fullbacks and the tactics having listened to the podcast Clive recommended you could see the rotation understand the zonal approach, the press and the attacking

It was not totally purist for purist sake, we got rid of it at the right times we tried to go over the top or down the channels when the space was there to exploit

Paal had a superb game, Kakay had one of his best games

Both centre backs were excellent

Field and Colback were also very good

Willock did well, Smyth did better and had his full back on toast

Dykes led the press well from the front

Armstrong brought extra attacking threat when he came on

Throw ins went to our own players and led to ball retention

The high press was really effective

Begovic was fine with the ball at his feet and the short passing, better than I thought he would be

We controlled the game for large periods and were competitive

Players seemed to enjoy it and smiles on their faces

Negatives

No shot on goal (actually a bit harsh we had a couple blocked in the 6 yard box)

Willock lacked the confidence to take on his man one on one (and has lost a yard of pace) no final ball

Final ball in the final third was shocking, Smyth particularly guilty again

Dozzell has to be more the playmaker in this system and was disappointing

Dykes had a poor game attacking wise, won some good headers, but when he got himself into good positions fell over or lost the ball

Midfield still not getting far enough forward when attacking all 3 wanted to hang back instead of getting into the box

The one time we did get into position and play a great ball into the box from the left 1st half, Smyth should have been on the end of it and was no where to be seen

Fitness is still an issue, had hoped all this emptying the tank lark would make us stronger in the last 1/4 of the game, but we started total apart a bit due to lack of fitness. Dozzell was dead after 60 minutes, Smyth done by 70, Kakay by 80 (nearly costing us the game with a couple of terrible clearances)

Would like to see more attacking centrally and the odd shot from distance

Conclusion

I mean it was 100 times better, I enjoyed watching it, it was very chess like as well. I dont agree Bristol City were rubbish I thought both teams were good but cancelled each other out. Whilst we call for a striker creating chances is more of a problem IMHO I agree we need a striker but we also need a playmaker 8 desperately a Johansson, Freeman, Faurlin type, and I dont see Dozzell stepping up to that
[Post edited 12 Nov 2023 12:59]

Bristol City Reflection on 12:00 - Nov 12 with 4460 viewsdannyblue

On Willock

I thought he was afraid of his body and not willing to take anyone on in the first half. But I really noticed in the second half - I assume after some encouragement - that he did try and he succeeded in accelerating past people in a way I haven’t seen for many months. Still way below his best but I was really encouraged. Game time and match fitness all helpful to gain trust in his hamstrings again. We’ll need him this season.

Bristol City Reflection on 12:11 - Nov 12 with 4419 viewsdaveB

quite enjoyed the game, thought Bristol City played quite well, draw was a fair result really

We are so lacking up front just can't see us scoring but it was a lot better than anything I've seen at home since Beale left, at least had a clear gameplan and were working ourselves into good areas.

Dickie for them was very good, looked back to his best

encouraging performance from Smyth although that final ball needs a lot of work

Bristol City Reflection on 12:54 - Nov 12 with 4299 viewslondonscottish

Rangers had more of the ball for more of the game and played through the thirds nicely.

BUT, in the final third, not quite enough pace to get in behind them. Their LB and RB were able to stop most of the balls into the box quite easily; they had the time.

I felt were a little lucky to get away with the bombardment of balls they managed towards the end.

Something to build on.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Bristol City Reflection on 13:02 - Nov 12 with 4255 viewsSK_hoops

Reading the football league paper this afternoon. Rob Dickie man of the match for Btistol. Also Dieng MoTM for Middlesborough.

Bristol City Reflection on 20:11 - Nov 12 with 3758 viewsmart_Goblin

Apologies , down marked by mistake

Bristol City Reflection on 12:19 - Nov 13 with 3403 viewsrobith

As someone who at least was supportive of the cultural porject Ainsworth was undertaking if not his footballing outcomes, I thought it was quite remarkable how quickly Marti has imprinted what he wants on the players. We looked drilled and organised. But we looked blunt. Really blunt. Dykes wasn't incredible but I feel too much is put on his door - we just didn't create enough clear cut chances. Now I loved what Smyth and Ozzie were doing down the right - they really manipulated the space well, maybe lacking in final product - but there was little threat down the middle or from the left. As discussed this was cos Willock for whatever reason didn't want to take anyone on and kept coming central, and Paal clearly didn't trust Willock to get back on him so didn't make those same runs as Ozzie was.

Hopefully with Chair's return we can pivot to having him 10 and 2 CMs sitting behind him rather than having all 3 being inclined to sit back - probably Field to sweep and Colback/EDB to press

Bristol City Reflection on 12:52 - Nov 13 with 3296 viewsTheChef

Somehow Sky got two minutes of, er, "highlights" from that.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024