Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stan's team mates that were in attendance last night... 14:41 - Mar 7 with 5612 viewsW7Ranger

I wonder what there thoughts were on the game / atmosphere, and the occasion in general?

Must have been a highly charged and emotional evening for them all. But I bet they would have loved all of that last night! Amazing game.

Stan's team mates that were in attendance last night... on 14:46 - Mar 7 with 3893 viewsNorthernr

Gerry did a good job of revving the crowd at half time.

Stan's team mates that were in attendance last night... on 14:53 - Mar 7 with 3842 viewsbosh67

When you look back at the Stan clips you realise what an elegant and beautifully balanced player Francis was alongside him. I think we forget just how good Francis was as well.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Stan's team mates that were in attendance last night... on 15:56 - Mar 7 with 3668 viewsqpr_1968

just in case anyone missed it.....

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Stan's team mates that were in attendance last night... on 15:58 - Mar 7 with 3654 viewsNorthernr

Frank McLintock just always looks the fcking business doesn't he?
Miss his input on Sky.

Stan's team mates that were in attendance last night... on 16:00 - Mar 7 with 3640 viewsquickpassrotter

Gerry was probably the best midfielder in European football for about 3 seasons when we had that team and those players, and he was England captain. I'm not embarrassed to repeat what so many have said - Stan's and Gerry's relationship and togetherness on the pitch was indeed telepathic. Pity that Gerry's back did not hold up, and eventually curtailed his brilliant career.

Stan's team mates that were in attendance last night... on 16:03 - Mar 7 with 3612 viewsPlanetHonneywood

To be fair, they look like 'Madness'

Wonderful to see Dave Thomas out there too. In recalling what great players Stan and Gerry were, Thomas flying down the wing on a quagmire of a pitch kicking something that weighed heavier than a medicine ball was also a thing of beauty.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Stan's team mates that were in attendance last night... on 16:13 - Mar 7 with 3532 viewsdaveB

they could really do with fixing the speakers in the lower loft, just crackling, feedback and cutting out during the Stan video before the game, can never hear the half time thing either although was in the bar last night so missed it

Stan's team mates that were in attendance last night... on 16:14 - Mar 7 with 3517 viewsytt28

Frank is the best of all the pundits on Soccer Saturday

Stan's team mates that were in attendance last night... on 16:16 - Mar 7 with 3477 viewsNorthernr

Was.

When you think about what that show was to what it is now it's depressing.

Stan's team mates that were in attendance last night... on 16:24 - Mar 7 with 3417 viewsytt28

Yes, stopped watching years ago.

Stan's team mates that were in attendance last night... on 16:30 - Mar 7 with 3378 viewsstevec

Sky almost unwatchable these days.

I tuned in Saturday morning and there was these fanboys holding up picture cards of, I’m assuming, Premier League players. Do these people actually go to football?

Stan's team mates that were in attendance last night... on 16:34 - Mar 7 with 3355 viewsRangersw12

It was the same where we are in the upper loft

At one point I thought the speaker was going to explode.

Club do so many good things but let down by little things like this

Stan's team mates that were in attendance last night... on 16:38 - Mar 7 with 3326 viewsCateLeBonR

Whenever you talk about our 70s side to fans of other teams he’s often the first one they mention.

Stan's team mates that were in attendance last night... on 16:51 - Mar 7 with 3266 viewsNorthantsHoop

Yes the speakers in upper loft were awful. I also felt that the Ellerslie Bowles name placards would have been better in blue background with Bowles name in white or the other way round, could not see the red very well, but it might just have been the angle from the upper loft.

Stan's team mates that were in attendance last night... on 17:00 - Mar 7 with 3209 viewsBlackCrowe

Same in East Paddock - couldn't understand a thing. The CEO was standing in front of us during the before match parade/applause. He must've been thinking wtf.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Stan's team mates that were in attendance last night... on 18:24 - Mar 7 with 3000 viewspaulparker

Don’t worry we have Clinton Morrison and Sue Smith to fill that void

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Stan's team mates that were in attendance last night... on 18:57 - Mar 7 with 2914 viewsrbee

I was at the home game where Gerry picked up his back injury. From my dodgy memory it was 1977. He flicked the ball over Arsenal defender Willie Young's head and volleyed the ball in to the net, a wonderful Gazza v Scotland type goal.

As he was striking the ball Young simply threw himself at Gerry who went down immediately and after some treatment went off. Gerry was out for weeks and when he came back he was not the same player. He never fully recovered from that injury and didn't play for England again.

Stan's team mates that were in attendance last night... on 19:22 - Mar 7 with 2812 viewsenfieldargh

same in G Block, Striker or new PA system?

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Stan's team mates that were in attendance last night... on 19:35 - Mar 7 with 2762 viewsbaz_qpr

I think it was the mic or something, operations manager would I imagine be on the end of a right hollacking

Stan's team mates that were in attendance last night... on 19:43 - Mar 7 with 2722 viewsNorthernr

Stan's team mates that were in attendance last night... on 20:20 - Mar 7 with 2576 viewsFG_R

I’ve unsuccessfully tried to find some more details on Gerry’s back injury because I remember from the time that Ranger’s drop in form after the brilliant 1975-76 season coincided with Gerry not being available for selection. I’ve always thought that Gerry was the most important player in 1975-76 and felt that if he hadn’t been injured we would have been a really top club, challenging for the title, for several more seasons.

All I can see is that Gerry made 11 League appearances in 76-77 but the Arsenal game at home (12 March 1977 when, as you say, he scored) was the 25th league game of the season – so something seems to have happened to him well before that match. He also only starts being listed as a goal-scorer around February/March 1977 suggesting he was making a comeback just before the Arsenal game.

I have a very vague recollection that he injured his back in a pre-season game in the summer of 1976, landing on his back on a hard pitch somewhere or other – but I may well be wrong. Someone out there must know?

Stan's team mates that were in attendance last night... on 20:34 - Mar 7 with 2504 viewsBoston

Why's David Bowie in the line up? Y'know, with the Diamond Dog.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Stan's team mates that were in attendance last night... on 21:28 - Mar 7 with 2393 viewsMungoJezza

I'm pretty sure that Gerry Francis' back problems stemmed from a freak accident at home. After parking his car on the driveway, he got out to close the gates behind him. His car rolled back (presumably he didn't put the handbrake on) and he ended up trapped between the car and the gates.

Stan's team mates that were in attendance last night... on 02:58 - Mar 8 with 2180 viewsnumptydumpty

And of course the legend that is the Mackie !!!!

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Biggest Nobhead of the year

Stan's team mates that were in attendance last night... on 04:43 - Mar 8 with 2134 viewsQPROslo

I think he was ok fitness wise throughout the 75/76 season, and of course played brilliantly, but missed the start of the 76/77 season and many games that season. He'd think his back was getting better but then the problem recurred and he never got back to that very high level he'd been at for us or for England. This is from memory. Will research it I have time.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024