Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
That feeling that we are going down… 09:53 - Feb 13 with 15452 viewsRs_Holy

I’m usually reasonably optimistic when it comes to all things QPR. I usually believe that if things are not going to plan we will get out of trouble… something will click and the team will get the wins it needs… the players will pull up their socks, puff their chests out and guts out some performances.
But there have been points in seasons past when I knew we were going down… A horrible, horrible feeling when you just know it is inevitable.
1996 was a season when I believed we would get out of trouble, right up until Eoin Jess scored his one and only goal for Coventry. A game we should have won, but the footballing Gods were not on our side that day. At full time I knew the game was up and we were slipping out of the top flight.
2001 was a lot earlier in the season. At home to Fulham in March… a 2-0 defeat and our 2 best players (Carlisle and Langley) leaving the pitch with ACL’s. Carlisle’s looked really bad at the time, Langley’s looked a lot less serious but in my mind I was thinking he’s probably done for the season… and so are we.
2013 was home to Wigan and Shaun Maloney’s last, last kick of the game after Loic Remy’s fabulous goal a few minutes earlier.
The 2014-2015 season was way, way earlier… In fact, it was away to Spurs in August. Yes it was the 2nd game of the season. A 4-0 thrashing and the realisation that we didn’t have anywhere near enough to make a fist of staying in the top flight.
And so, to Saturday and the home defeat to Millwall… Its now 1 win in 16, we can’t keep a clean sheet (jeez there have been some comedy goals this season), and we are completely toothless up front. Add into the mix that our best player limped off the field having only been on for 7 minutes and I have come to the conclusion we are sinking slowly and painfully into League 1. The alarm bells were ringing at the start of the season when the clubs ‘quality’ striker/loan signing was Tyler Roberts (cue sarcastic text message from leeds supporting friend). But I hoped maybe Armstrong would start scoring a few, Chair would go up another notch and we would have a gem or 2 more in midfield. But nothing appears to have come off! The signings for a number of reasons just have not worked out. That horrible, horrible feeling is back, and made worse this season because it will be a long, slow death as we ever so gradually get dragged into trouble. Sorry I can’t be more optimistic, roll on next season.
[Post edited 13 Feb 2023 9:56]
That feeling that we are going down… on 09:59 - Feb 13 with 6870 viewsNorthernr

Usually it's LBlock coming on here giving it "the sky is falling" and me saying don't be so daft, simple maths, look at the numbers.

I'm not sure this year. I think we've probably posted enough points to be ok. Two or three more wins, three draws, that'll probably be enough. Cardiff, Huddersfield, Blackpool and Wigan have won one of the last 40 games between them !!

But I honestly don't trust this group of players we've got now at all. They're weak, physically and mentally. There is zero belief and confidence within them. Several of them obviously don't want to be here.

I think we're going to run it close.
That feeling that we are going down… on 10:09 - Feb 13 with 6776 viewsRs_Holy

That feeling that we are going down… on 09:59 - Feb 13 by Northernr

Usually it's LBlock coming on here giving it "the sky is falling" and me saying don't be so daft, simple maths, look at the numbers.

I'm not sure this year. I think we've probably posted enough points to be ok. Two or three more wins, three draws, that'll probably be enough. Cardiff, Huddersfield, Blackpool and Wigan have won one of the last 40 games between them !!

But I honestly don't trust this group of players we've got now at all. They're weak, physically and mentally. There is zero belief and confidence within them. Several of them obviously don't want to be here.

I hope you are right Clive.
That feeling that we are going down… on 10:10 - Feb 13 with 6770 viewsterryb

I've mentioned it before, but I'm reminded how Luton went from top five to being relegated in 2008(?). Paul Furlong scored the goal late on that basically meant we would finish above them.

Our saviour might be that Wigan, Huddersfield, Cardiff & Blackpool are not good enough to finish above us, although Wigan have made recoveries many times. 7 more points (no, I've no idea where their coming from) will be more than enough to stay up.
That feeling that we are going down… on 10:12 - Feb 13 with 6765 viewsOldPedro

The games away at Rotherham, Blackpool and Wigan look like games we have to avoid losing at least - win a couple of those and we will be ok.

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

That feeling that we are going down… on 10:21 - Feb 13 with 6708 viewsHayesender

I'm going Tuesday because, well its what I've been doing since 1981 and i can't shake the habit.

I'm up to Middlesbrough on Saturday expecting a complete bum gobbing, but looking forward to spending the day with mates and other fool hardy souls.

Heart says we'll be OK, the head though is wobbling

Poll: Shamima Beghum

That feeling that we are going down… on 10:21 - Feb 13 with 6698 viewsWegerles_Stairs

That feeling that we are going down… on 10:12 - Feb 13 by OldPedro

The games away at Rotherham, Blackpool and Wigan look like games we have to avoid losing at least - win a couple of those and we will be ok.

If you were those clubs desperate for three points to get out of the relegation scrap, you'd be looking at us and our string of gutless performances and be counting the days till we turned up.
That feeling that we are going down… on 10:31 - Feb 13 with 6677 viewsbosh67

I think we need to get 13 points somehow to stay up. I think tomorrow night will be an indicator for the way we play the rest of the season. I don't care if we get a few wins and a lot of draws, we just have to get out of the habit of losing.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

That feeling that we are going down… on 10:48 - Feb 13 with 6602 viewsstanistheman

Rs Holy

I agree with those games being the ones where our relegation seemed likely apart from the Spurs one. I thought our squad was a bit weak, but not a relegation one. For me the game that got me thinking this is it was at home to Swansea when against men they equalised in stoppage time. That one had me thinking we could be going down.

I am struggling to see where the next win will come from and I certainly don't think the games at Wigan, Blackpool or Rotherham will provide any wins for QPR. A draw would be good at those places.

For me our best hope will be a change of formation back to 3 CBs. It's the one that Dickie performed at his best. The main obstacle to this is that the 2 CBs that the Weasel signed have both cried off as injured for much of this season. Is it time to introduce Gubbins into the line up or perhaps put Kakay in?

I would also like to see Martin and Lowe both play in central roles in a 3-5-2 formation as we need to attack teams in order to try and get 3 or 4 wins from the remaining games.
Login to get fewer ads

That feeling that we are going down… on 11:07 - Feb 13 with 6535 viewsTheChef

That feeling that we are going down… on 10:48 - Feb 13 by stanistheman

Rs Holy

I agree with those games being the ones where our relegation seemed likely apart from the Spurs one. I thought our squad was a bit weak, but not a relegation one. For me the game that got me thinking this is it was at home to Swansea when against men they equalised in stoppage time. That one had me thinking we could be going down.

I am struggling to see where the next win will come from and I certainly don't think the games at Wigan, Blackpool or Rotherham will provide any wins for QPR. A draw would be good at those places.

For me our best hope will be a change of formation back to 3 CBs. It's the one that Dickie performed at his best. The main obstacle to this is that the 2 CBs that the Weasel signed have both cried off as injured for much of this season. Is it time to introduce Gubbins into the line up or perhaps put Kakay in?

I would also like to see Martin and Lowe both play in central roles in a 3-5-2 formation as we need to attack teams in order to try and get 3 or 4 wins from the remaining games.

I think (hope? wow) that Martin will start tomorrow night and hopefully we will get an hour out of him - maybe score a goal again. Then let Armstrong do his bull in a china shop thing.

Ideally move to a back three of Dickie Dunne Kakay.

Law of averages says we're due a win - right?

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

That feeling that we are going down… on 11:12 - Feb 13 with 6483 viewsSuperhoop83

That feeling that we are going down… on 10:48 - Feb 13 by stanistheman

Rs Holy

I agree about the Swansea game. We had an horrific run of home games after Swansea and we couldn't buy a win away from home, so when Routledge was sent off and then Bony scored I feared the worst.

I also suspected we would go down after the Swansea game in 2012! That game almost matched Vauxhall Motors for humiliation.

Suffering since 1978.

That feeling that we are going down… on 11:13 - Feb 13 with 6473 viewsHayesender

Maybe an alien invasion will put us out of our misery this season

Poll: Shamima Beghum

That feeling that we are going down… on 11:20 - Feb 13 with 6418 viewsPlanetHonneywood

I think the bigger problem looming large is what's it going to be like bext season?!

Not for the first time in nigh on 50 years with this lot, the manager needs a bloody good pre-season. The parallels with our last relegation from this division are ever apparent.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

That feeling that we are going down… on 11:23 - Feb 13 with 6392 viewsCamberleyR

That feeling that we are going down… on 10:31 - Feb 13 by bosh67

I think we need to get 13 points somehow to stay up. I think tomorrow night will be an indicator for the way we play the rest of the season. I don't care if we get a few wins and a lot of draws, we just have to get out of the habit of losing.

We won't need 13 points Bosh. That would mean Wigan who are currently third bottom posting 24 points to finish above us, which you'd think would be at least six wins, 1.5 points a game so near playoff form. Not gonna happen.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

That feeling that we are going down… on 11:25 - Feb 13 with 6372 viewsBluce_Ree

"I’m usually reasonably optimistic when it comes to all things QPR"

I want to live in Topsy Turvy World too, it sounds fun.

I don't know if we'll go down. That'll be almost as bad as that year Millwall were top at Xmas and relegated that season. Gut feeling is that we'll just about survive but fk it, I don't know and more than ever I'm struggling to care.

If we go down or we stay up, it's all whatever. Regardless of what happens we'll still be probably quite shit next year too and that is what it is.

Our problem is like wanting to lose weight. Hear me out. If we were entirely unredeemably obese, like 35 stone, then that's us forever. We'd be like AFC Wimbledon, say. We're never ever going to be thin.

But we're not. We're like 16 stone and a good diet and exercise away, in theory, from being slim but we're not.

Now there's people out there who are in good shape or whatever. They run marathons in like under three hours. They're like Palace or Brentford. We could be that if we just put in the work. That's sort of possible.

But work is hard and cakes are nice. And cakes, for us, are submitting three points to whoever is below us that week. We like that. It's a sugary treat for us. It's easier to do that then it is put in the work and win points. Especially as our wife (the team) keeps buying biscuits and leaving them in the kitchen (playing like hooped c*nts).

And then there's people with abs who can do backflips somehow. That's your top four. We'll never have abs. We're QPR. Backflips hurt our knees. We tried once (Mark Hughes era) and landed on our neck (FFP) and now cold days make us feel sore. The doctor looked at our blood work and said our cholesterol is too high and we should just cut down on the bad stuff before diabetes (relegation) comes and amputates our feet (having to play in the FA Trophy).

But we've got Sunderland at home next and wouldn't it just be easier to let them win while we snork down a packet of Hobnobs?

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

That feeling that we are going down… on 11:31 - Feb 13 with 6323 viewsDieByYourSide

Even if we carry on with the current meagre 0.88 PPG trajectory under Critchley (8pts from 9 games) we'll get 13pts and end up posting 52.

Said it elsewhere but we're 33/1 to go down for a reason. Advise anyone who really thinks it's that likely to chuck a tenner on today and pay off a good chunk of your season ticket for League 1 next year.

The price will come in if we don't beat Sunderland and take a hiding at Boro as predicted.

Poll: And it's hi ho

That feeling that we are going down… on 11:37 - Feb 13 with 6269 viewsTK1

That feeling that we are going down… on 11:20 - Feb 13 by PlanetHonneywood

I think the bigger problem looming large is what's it going to be like bext season?!

Not for the first time in nigh on 50 years with this lot, the manager needs a bloody good pre-season. The parallels with our last relegation from this division are ever apparent.

It really isn't anything like our last relegation, which had been approaching for a couple of years. There isn't a single player from that last relegation that would get into this team, nor is the club in anyway near the mess it was in then. It's probably nearer around 2007, when a decent bunch of players were very disjointed, where a lot were passing through, but there was a nucleus to build on. If we win on Tuesday, everything changes (but we do need to win).
That feeling that we are going down… on 11:39 - Feb 13 with 6261 viewsToast_R

The teams decent enough, when we went down in 2000/01 the team was dog sh*t and the club were skint as in, couldnt afford the photo copier paper levels of skint and out best two players were rookies and long term inured. This doesn't seem as depressing as that period.

The team could put in a performance against Sunderland and deserve a win and it wouldn't be unusual given the teams they've beaten this season when they got their act together
That feeling that we are going down… on 11:46 - Feb 13 with 6217 viewsstanistheman

I agree we have a huge problem next season. A lot of our players will be entering the final year of their contracts.

Willock, Dickie, Dieng, could all be sold, but we won't get big fees for them and will likely be replaced with cheap as chips poorer players.

I know he only recently took over on a 3 year deal but for me Critchley should be sacked He has improved nothing and if anything has made us worse.

I think Amit Bhatia as Chairman needs to start making some big decisions.

One, sack Critchley and bring Warnock back.

Two, sack Ferdinand. He is not doing his job as a DoF when he allows managers to come in and sign players they want. We have been lumbered with players like Glass-Salter, Balogun, Roberts, Taylor-Richards (unless he is Ferdinand's). Surely, the DoF model is that they choose the players, managers, coaches etc to play a certain way throughout the club. We have no set playing style and very little continuity throughout the club so what is he doing? Hoos is the one responsible for spending and presumably contract negotiations, so what is Ferdinand doing for his fat pay cheque?
That feeling that we are going down… on 11:52 - Feb 13 with 6165 viewsdmm

I too have been thinking about next season. With potentially 10-12 players needing replacing, it looks like a squad rebuild will be on. The summer transfer window is going to be a hugely important one.

Will we attract the players we need after such a dismal season? Will we have sufficient leeway in our finances? Will the new training centre prove to be an attraction?

If we have to rely on frees, loans and crocks for the fourth window in a row, we'll struggle even more next season.
[Post edited 13 Feb 2023 12:52]
That feeling that we are going down… on 12:49 - Feb 13 with 5982 viewsPinnerPaul

22/1 with Paddy Power who think there are 10 teams more likely to drop than us.

Cautionary note - we were 30/1 a week ago!
That feeling that we are going down… on 13:27 - Feb 13 with 5766 viewsLogman

I think we can survive but to do so every decision from the management team and the players has to be right and the players have to be totally organised from the first whistle to the last. This needs to happen immediately. Saturday was better but it's on the players and the management team now.
That feeling that we are going down… on 13:27 - Feb 13 with 5750 viewsWegerles_Stairs

That feeling that we are going down… on 11:46 - Feb 13 by stanistheman

I agree we have a huge problem next season. A lot of our players will be entering the final year of their contracts.

Willock, Dickie, Dieng, could all be sold, but we won't get big fees for them and will likely be replaced with cheap as chips poorer players.

I know he only recently took over on a 3 year deal but for me Critchley should be sacked He has improved nothing and if anything has made us worse.

Two, sack Ferdinand. He is not doing his job as a DoF when he allows managers to come in and sign players they want. We have been lumbered with players like Glass-Salter, Balogun, Roberts, Taylor-Richards (unless he is Ferdinand's). Surely, the DoF model is that they choose the players, managers, coaches etc to play a certain way throughout the club. We have no set playing style and very little continuity throughout the club so what is he doing? Hoos is the one responsible for spending and presumably contract negotiations, so what is Ferdinand doing for his fat pay cheque?

Golf handicap improving?
That feeling that we are going down… on 13:43 - Feb 13 with 5677 viewsjohnhoop

That feeling that we are going down… on 11:46 - Feb 13 by stanistheman

You’re too late with Warnock. He’s going to be busy keeping Huddersfield in the Division.
That feeling that we are going down… on 15:19 - Feb 13 with 5465 viewsMelakaRanger

That feeling that we are going down… on 09:59 - Feb 13 by Northernr

We could go down this year, it’s by no means certain we have enough on the board already. Our fate is in the hands of the bottom 4. It’s like it that one of those teams will find enough guts and desire to win a few games but it’s unlikely that two of the teams will start a “winning streak”.

As long as it’s only one team then we will survive - just.

Sadly this team of ours and this manager are incapable of reversing our losing streak.

Survive or not, at seasons end there must be a ruthless purge at every level of the club. And release/get rid of a good many players. Too many sick notes that we cannot rely on.

Next year. No loans. Keep Martin for the year as support for Dykes. At least he tries!

Our aim next year should be to. survive (just will do again) but to develop young , hungry and fit players - from lower leagues. Then proceed with constant but gradual improvement each year. Other teams have done it. Maybe this would be within the skill set Critchley has?

Relying on so many loans and injury prone players have now been proven to be a bad policy.
That feeling that we are going down… on 17:52 - Feb 13 with 5204 viewsSpaghetti_Hoops

Love a good thread from the miserable types who can imagine relegation out of almost any situation.

Plenty of bookies have us at 33/1 to go down with 8-9 teams more likely. It must also be about 33/1 that we have enough points already to stay up. I would be happier with the 39's enough bet than the other one. But 45 points is average for staying up.

Nearly there.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024