Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Number 13 . 08:53 - Oct 25 with 2240 viewsbwildered

First round FA Cup draw Monday evening .
U's number 13 , other notables Southend 41, Wycombe 46 and Braintree 77 .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Number 13 . on 12:42 - Oct 25 with 1514 viewsLeadbelly

Anyone at home will do nicely. Will miss 2nd round as I'm going to Leeds v Hull.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Number 13 . on 19:46 - Oct 26 with 1474 viewsLeadbelly

Away to Wealdstone

Number 13 . on 20:00 - Oct 26 with 1456 viewsFruitbat

1983, Layer Road, Keith Bowen hat-trick, 4-0, I was there!
Number 13 . on 20:09 - Oct 26 with 1446 viewsLeadbelly

Number 13 . on 20:00 - Oct 26 by Fruitbat

1983, Layer Road, Keith Bowen hat-trick, 4-0, I was there!

Scott McGleish plays up front for them now.

Number 13 . on 20:15 - Oct 26 with 1437 viewsFruitbat

I worry about him up aganst our back four!
Number 13 . on 20:57 - Oct 26 with 1413 viewsBFG

Another Yeading.
Number 13 . on 21:07 - Oct 26 with 1396 viewsLeadbelly

Number 13 . on 20:57 - Oct 26 by BFG

Another Yeading.

Replay rather than the first game I hope.

Number 13 . on 21:19 - Oct 26 with 1383 viewsBFG

Of course, 7-1 !
Login to get fewer ads

Number 13 . on 21:19 - Oct 26 with 1382 viewsmfb_cufc

Wealdstone are in the same league as Gosport, who we thrashed last season. Also the same as Chelmsford, who we didn't thrash three seasons ago.

mfb

Number 13 . on 22:57 - Oct 26 with 1330 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Were we the last ball in the bag? Isn't it about time we got to the third or fourth round and got a big home draw? Would be great to see the stadium full for a Col U game. Which clubs would provide us with a full house if we drew them? I reckon there's only about 10-12 personally.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Number 13 . on 23:19 - Oct 26 with 1321 viewsnoah4x4

In 1952 Harrow & Wealdstone Station was the location of Britain's worst ever peace time rail crash. Maybe an omen that this draw has potentially all the hall marks of the U's fans aspirations being derailed (like on Chelmsford's ploughed field).

The fact that we scored six against Gosport Borough was frankly boring. I ended up cheering the three goals that they scored and had a party with the wonderful home fans for whom this was their cup final. Gosport drew the second half 2-2 to lose 3-6. Apparently they never score three! So what a celebration!
Number 13 . on 04:10 - Oct 27 with 1281 viewswessex_exile

That's a good draw I reckon - nice and easy for travelling support to get to, memories of those halcyon Conference days with the U's faithful descending on grounds - now let's watch the cameras f'ck it up and switch it to Fri or Mon night.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Number 13 . on 14:57 - Oct 27 with 1190 viewsdurham_exile

Number 13 . on 04:10 - Oct 27 by wessex_exile

That's a good draw I reckon - nice and easy for travelling support to get to, memories of those halcyon Conference days with the U's faithful descending on grounds - now let's watch the cameras f'ck it up and switch it to Fri or Mon night.

Years ago when I lived in North London and supported Enfield I went to many Non-league grounds in the Capital amongst them Wealdstone who then played in the Isthmian League.

It certainly should be an AP Leamington game rather than a Bedlington Terriers one!

However those TV companies will probably look at :
Altrincham v Barnsley
Salford v Notts Co
Aldershot v Bradford
Braintree v Oxford
FC Utd Manchester v Chesterfield

Instead of the U's

Round Two here we come.

Up the U's

Humes Out!

Durham_exile

Number 13 . on 15:18 - Oct 27 with 1176 viewsBarsidepete

I'm, um, happy with the draw.

I hope this is a lock for round 2.

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

Number 13 . on 16:00 - Oct 27 with 1169 viewsLeadbelly

Number 13 . on 22:57 - Oct 26 by RSCOSWORTH

Were we the last ball in the bag? Isn't it about time we got to the third or fourth round and got a big home draw? Would be great to see the stadium full for a Col U game. Which clubs would provide us with a full house if we drew them? I reckon there's only about 10-12 personally.

Clubs providing a potential full house in an FA Cup 3rd (or beyond!) home draw. This is based on general pulling power and/or current league position...in my humble opinion. A televised game would, no doubt, remove several from that list.

Premier League

Manchester Utd
Chelsea
Arsenal
Tottenham Hotspur
West Ham Utd
Liverpool
Everton
Newcastle
Norwich

Championship

Ipswich
QPR
Birmingham
Wolverhampton Wanderers
Derby
Nottingham Forest
Brighton

Under normal circumstances I would add Leeds Utd to that list without any fear of failure but as Cellino won't accept an away allowance exceeding 2,000 I doubt the game would be a sell out. Apparently he is doing this to show his feelings to the Football League because they have twice banned him from the club for being twice found guilty of tax evasion in Italy. The main group suffering from this pathetic behaviour is, of course, Leeds fans.

Number 13 . on 16:21 - Oct 27 with 1166 viewsLeadbelly

For those not in the know, Cellino says the limit on ticket allocation is to stop the fans being exploited and the club losing money because of fixture changes due to TV requirements. Really? Funny how this started around the same time as his second ban.

Unsurprisingly there is absolutely no support from Leeds fans for Cellino's action. According to the man himself "It's because they don't understand"

Number 13 . on 17:31 - Oct 27 with 1145 viewsBFG

I read that Massey & Sordell are both ex-Wealdstone loanee's (via Watford).
Number 13 . on 19:06 - Oct 27 with 1123 viewsnoah4x4

Although he has not yet played during the 2015-16 season, I am hoping that Wealdstone give 40 year old Scott McGleish at least a cameo role. Despite his aging body, Scott has scored 43 goals in 97 appearances for Wealdstone since 2013.

He scored 38 in 144 appearances for the U's in 2001- 2004 and I don't reckon we have ever seen a finer header of a ball in blue and white. His overall league career record is 216 goals in 572 appearances.

Surely the warmest deserved applause will be due....and no, the cynics need not add that they hope he plays too to ensure that our defence isn't outpaced!
[Post edited 27 Oct 2015 19:06]
Number 13 . on 21:10 - Oct 27 with 1081 viewsLeadbelly

Number 13 . on 19:06 - Oct 27 by noah4x4

Although he has not yet played during the 2015-16 season, I am hoping that Wealdstone give 40 year old Scott McGleish at least a cameo role. Despite his aging body, Scott has scored 43 goals in 97 appearances for Wealdstone since 2013.

He scored 38 in 144 appearances for the U's in 2001- 2004 and I don't reckon we have ever seen a finer header of a ball in blue and white. His overall league career record is 216 goals in 572 appearances.

Surely the warmest deserved applause will be due....and no, the cynics need not add that they hope he plays too to ensure that our defence isn't outpaced!
[Post edited 27 Oct 2015 19:06]

For a man of his height McGleish excellent in the air. He had a prodigious leap.

I agree with you Noah.I hope he is on the bench and gets a run out against us. I'm sure he would receive a very warm welcome from Us fans if he comes on.

Number 13 . on 23:22 - Oct 27 with 1053 viewsnoah4x4

Number 13 . on 21:10 - Oct 27 by Leadbelly

For a man of his height McGleish excellent in the air. He had a prodigious leap.

I agree with you Noah.I hope he is on the bench and gets a run out against us. I'm sure he would receive a very warm welcome from Us fans if he comes on.

He is 5' 9" hence short by the standards for a centre forward in 2001-4.

Today, the game has changed. Defenders can't be as aggressive. I reckon if in his prime in the modern era he would have been an even more prolific goalscorer.
Number 13 . on 19:18 - Oct 28 with 963 viewswessex_exile

So, the televised games have been chosen, and we're not one of them:

Friday 6 November
Salford City v Notts County (7.55pm) — Live on BBC

Sunday 8 November
Didcot Town v Exeter City (12pm) — Live on BT Sport

Monday 9 November
FC United Of Manchester v Chesterfield (7.45pm) — Live on BT Sport

Apart from missing out on TV money, that either means (a) they don't expect an upset, or (b) they wouldn't count it as an upset. It's an ill wind, but as I couldn't either get to or back from any of those kick-off times on the train, I'm quite happy. It remains to be seen whether we're one of the 8 chosen for the Sunday 2pm kick-offs, as part of the FA's ground-hopping coverage - apparently 7 have already been chosen, we might be the 8th?

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Number 13 . on 23:49 - Oct 28 with 927 viewsdurham_exile

Number 13 . on 19:18 - Oct 28 by wessex_exile

So, the televised games have been chosen, and we're not one of them:

Friday 6 November
Salford City v Notts County (7.55pm) — Live on BBC

Sunday 8 November
Didcot Town v Exeter City (12pm) — Live on BT Sport

Monday 9 November
FC United Of Manchester v Chesterfield (7.45pm) — Live on BT Sport

Apart from missing out on TV money, that either means (a) they don't expect an upset, or (b) they wouldn't count it as an upset. It's an ill wind, but as I couldn't either get to or back from any of those kick-off times on the train, I'm quite happy. It remains to be seen whether we're one of the 8 chosen for the Sunday 2pm kick-offs, as part of the FA's ground-hopping coverage - apparently 7 have already been chosen, we might be the 8th?

Wessex - Salford and FC United etc have so much interest because of the Class of 92 and the desire for both teams to achieve league status.

Didcot are the minnows of the competition.

We may get extended highlights!!!!!

Up the U's

Humes Out!

Durham_exile

Number 13 . on 12:23 - Oct 29 with 875 viewsLeadbelly

Is it my imagination or is it taking an unduly long time for ticket details for this game to be announced?

Number 13 . on 13:26 - Oct 29 with 866 viewsnoah4x4

It has just be confirmed on the U's website that it is to be played on the Saturday. That (and TV) will have been the initial delay.

Wealdstone usually get crowds of merely 600, but the ground's total capacity is limited to merely 2,640 (329 seated). My guess is that they are now in a huddle debating everything from police to burgers as surely local demand might outstrip supply. Hence, the U's might get an allocation of just a few hundred when we take over 200 fans to far away places like Doncaster. By contrast, this is on our doorstep; and I have heard loads of folk that don't usually go to away games say they want to make it a 'day out' in London. My guess is that if you are not a U's season ticket holder hence in the first batch of tickets released, one may even be unlucky.
[Post edited 29 Oct 2015 13:28]
Number 13 . on 14:32 - Oct 29 with 855 viewsLeadbelly

Number 13 . on 13:26 - Oct 29 by noah4x4

It has just be confirmed on the U's website that it is to be played on the Saturday. That (and TV) will have been the initial delay.

Wealdstone usually get crowds of merely 600, but the ground's total capacity is limited to merely 2,640 (329 seated). My guess is that they are now in a huddle debating everything from police to burgers as surely local demand might outstrip supply. Hence, the U's might get an allocation of just a few hundred when we take over 200 fans to far away places like Doncaster. By contrast, this is on our doorstep; and I have heard loads of folk that don't usually go to away games say they want to make it a 'day out' in London. My guess is that if you are not a U's season ticket holder hence in the first batch of tickets released, one may even be unlucky.
[Post edited 29 Oct 2015 13:28]

http://wealdstone-fc.com/club/the-ground/

Noah,

The above link suggests a capacity higher than your figure but, either way, I don't think we'll be getting as many tickets as we could sell. Fair enough if the locals do attend but it will be somewhat annoying if they don't.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024