Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
U's v Hartlepool postponed due to covid 11:46 - Dec 17 with 1736 viewsnoah4x4

When over 30% of EFL players won't get jabbed, is this announcement surprising? Utter disgrace that so many footballers are acting irresponsibly.

Black Lives Matter? What about ALL lives matter during this pandemic? It is the responsibility of all players to show leadership and get jabbed to help protect others, even if they don't care a shi5 about their own health.

Hope they get their wages deducted for screwing up our weekend and the travel plans of Hartlepool fans that probably have non-refundable train tickets. Indeed, sack them if they won't get jabbed as they will kill lower league football if more matches are postponed. Vaccination should be mandatory, as in NHS and in Europe.

U's v Hartlepool postponed due to covid on 12:11 - Dec 17 with 1716 viewsMoor_Pinot

Agreed.
Selfishness as well as poor political leadership (what?) is the friend of the virus.

Here in France I'm content to do as I am told - the stats seem to suggest it helps - & I have been amazed that the usually stroppy French are falling in line. Laws have been very strict and remain so and given this virus is bigger than all of us I get the need for that.
Football is far less important than health but the small degree of normality in going to a game is good for people's welfare, so for antipathy to prevent things like that is indeed as you purport a disgrace and an insult to those who have or are vulnerable to this awful thing and a total lack of respect to those who have succumbed to it.

Moor Pinot

U's v Hartlepool postponed due to covid on 13:27 - Dec 17 with 1695 viewsbwildered

The government should have told the football authorities that ALL players had to be vaccinated in order to play .
The continuation of football throughout lockdown in the Chumps League, PL , EFL and then the Euros gave football authorities the position that it is beyond it all.
Now with no guidance some games are played while others are not, probably down to whether any advantage in availability might be made by one club over another first and foremost over the good of all.
[Post edited 17 Dec 2021 13:28]

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

U's v Hartlepool postponed due to covid on 13:42 - Dec 17 with 1686 viewsmfb_cufc

Tuesday's game away to Forest Green is off as well.

mfb

U's v Hartlepool postponed due to covid on 17:00 - Dec 17 with 1639 viewsDaniel

The numbers not jabbed in football is scary. These people are meant to be role models. No wonder loads of games are being cancelled.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59686996
U's v Hartlepool postponed due to covid on 19:09 - Dec 17 with 1611 viewswessex_exile

U's v Hartlepool postponed due to covid on 13:27 - Dec 17 by bwildered

The government should have told the football authorities that ALL players had to be vaccinated in order to play .
The continuation of football throughout lockdown in the Chumps League, PL , EFL and then the Euros gave football authorities the position that it is beyond it all.
Now with no guidance some games are played while others are not, probably down to whether any advantage in availability might be made by one club over another first and foremost over the good of all.
[Post edited 17 Dec 2021 13:28]

Sadly, the government intervening would require some actual leadership from Boris.

However, there's nothing stopping ethically-run football clubs from doing something similar - simply tell those who refuse to get vaccinated they can't train with the squad or be available for selection until they are.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

U's v Hartlepool postponed due to covid on 12:43 - Dec 18 with 1540 viewsnoah4x4

Only two games proceeding in Premier.
Only five on in Championship
Five on in League One
Only four on in League Two
But non-league and F A Trophy appear largely unaffected?

I suppose BBC Football might not have received details of any non-league postponements, but it will be interesting to see how many survived when the results are posted at 17:00. However, if the current reported ratio remains valid, perhaps suggests that if more professional footballers accepted the jab, the problem would diminish.
U's v Hartlepool postponed due to covid on 13:33 - Dec 18 with 1529 viewsthrillseeker

U's v Hartlepool postponed due to covid on 12:43 - Dec 18 by noah4x4

Only two games proceeding in Premier.
Only five on in Championship
Five on in League One
Only four on in League Two
But non-league and F A Trophy appear largely unaffected?

I suppose BBC Football might not have received details of any non-league postponements, but it will be interesting to see how many survived when the results are posted at 17:00. However, if the current reported ratio remains valid, perhaps suggests that if more professional footballers accepted the jab, the problem would diminish.

Just looked at BBC website and Villa V Burnley is a late call off

A full league programme in Scotland & Northern Ireland so is Covid only in England?
U's v Hartlepool postponed due to covid on 09:23 - Dec 19 with 1475 viewsnoah4x4

As I suspected might be revealed when yesterday's results rolled in. Premier and EFL programme decimated by covid, but non-league and Scottish/Welsh largely unaffected.

What characteristic makes professional footballers more prone to covid? Might it be vaccination rates? Lifestyles?

Instead of focussing on hard working civil servants that were deservedly having a glass of wine when at their desks twelve months ago, perhaps the media should investigate this current scandal?
[Post edited 19 Dec 2021 9:29]
Login to get fewer ads

U's v Hartlepool postponed due to covid on 10:31 - Dec 19 with 1444 viewswessex_exile

U's v Hartlepool postponed due to covid on 09:23 - Dec 19 by noah4x4

As I suspected might be revealed when yesterday's results rolled in. Premier and EFL programme decimated by covid, but non-league and Scottish/Welsh largely unaffected.

What characteristic makes professional footballers more prone to covid? Might it be vaccination rates? Lifestyles?

Instead of focussing on hard working civil servants that were deservedly having a glass of wine when at their desks twelve months ago, perhaps the media should investigate this current scandal?
[Post edited 19 Dec 2021 9:29]

They are equally unacceptable Noah. Cause and effect I’m afraid - if you break the rules you set for everyone else, don’t be surprised when they do likewise.

Up the U's

U's v Hartlepool postponed due to covid on 13:10 - Dec 19 with 1418 viewsnoah4x4

Agree Wessex, and I bet an investigation into BBC and ITV would reveal even more serious lapses. Indeed, what group of office, publishing, broadcasting, Police, NHS or Fire Service operating within a deemed critical legitimate workplace 'bubble' didn't have a cheeky glass of wine and mince pie at their desks? What type of Orwellian distopian society do some folk want? Like most folk that I speak with, I am sick of the daily politicisation of what is likely to be revealed as trivia in the grand scheme of things when the history books are eventually written. Boris is hardly King Canute or Nero.

What really matters is getting everybody jabbed and an appropriate level of caution respecting a need to maintain a viable economy, but unfortunately the press and politicians of all persuasion are undermining that by not fostering a one common direction Churchill wartime spirit. Or was Orwell right, we need Big Brother?
U's v Hartlepool postponed due to covid on 15:10 - Dec 19 with 1396 viewsGOSBTS

U's v Hartlepool postponed due to covid on 13:10 - Dec 19 by noah4x4

Agree Wessex, and I bet an investigation into BBC and ITV would reveal even more serious lapses. Indeed, what group of office, publishing, broadcasting, Police, NHS or Fire Service operating within a deemed critical legitimate workplace 'bubble' didn't have a cheeky glass of wine and mince pie at their desks? What type of Orwellian distopian society do some folk want? Like most folk that I speak with, I am sick of the daily politicisation of what is likely to be revealed as trivia in the grand scheme of things when the history books are eventually written. Boris is hardly King Canute or Nero.

What really matters is getting everybody jabbed and an appropriate level of caution respecting a need to maintain a viable economy, but unfortunately the press and politicians of all persuasion are undermining that by not fostering a one common direction Churchill wartime spirit. Or was Orwell right, we need Big Brother?

100% agree Noah. The party shouldn’t have gone ahead, but that doesn’t make me regret following the rules last Christmas. The restrictions were (and still are) first and foremost to protect us, not to help the government out. I may feel differently if I worked for the NHS, but for me personally I couldn’t care less whether the govt stick to the rules or not - I’ll still stick to them to keep my family and I as safe as possible. Also, people have quickly forgotten that Boris himself was in intensive care with Covid. I don’t think he’s quite as cavalier as people like to think.

If a third of footballers haven’t got jabbed in the past 12 months, this party that happened a year ago isn’t going to make a blind bit of difference. If they use it as an excuse, they’re hypocrites.
U's v Hartlepool postponed due to covid on 00:16 - Dec 20 with 1335 viewswessex_exile

U's v Hartlepool postponed due to covid on 15:10 - Dec 19 by GOSBTS

100% agree Noah. The party shouldn’t have gone ahead, but that doesn’t make me regret following the rules last Christmas. The restrictions were (and still are) first and foremost to protect us, not to help the government out. I may feel differently if I worked for the NHS, but for me personally I couldn’t care less whether the govt stick to the rules or not - I’ll still stick to them to keep my family and I as safe as possible. Also, people have quickly forgotten that Boris himself was in intensive care with Covid. I don’t think he’s quite as cavalier as people like to think.

If a third of footballers haven’t got jabbed in the past 12 months, this party that happened a year ago isn’t going to make a blind bit of difference. If they use it as an excuse, they’re hypocrites.

Let's be clear here - "but for me personally I couldn’t care less whether the govt stick to the rules or not"? Seriously?! How is any government, whatever their allegiance, supposed to govern if they can't? We (and I hope I speak for everyone here) are socially responsible people, we've all been jabbed and do our best to obey the rules, should we not expect that as a minimum from our elected officials?

My Mum, bless her, taught me to live my life treating others how I would be want to be treated myself.

Up the U's

U's v Hartlepool postponed due to covid on 07:57 - Dec 20 with 1306 viewsnoah4x4

But there is no evidence that any ELECTED officials attended any "parties".

Whatever took place involved unelected Civil Servants. The most senior of all has already fallen on his sword. Holding Ministers responsible for activities over which they had no direct control nor had any direct involvement is ridiculous. The only outcome is going to be some generally decent hard working 'nine until five people' losing their jobs. In my experience of working with Government on finance for renewable energy projects, the TV programme Yes Minister was quite accurate as regards portraying the relationships between ministers and manipulating civil servants that would often undermine them, albeit without the comedy. I might agree something with a minister then run into a brick wall, until he/she cleared the path. Civil servants are not supposed to be Tories, Labour or Lib-Dem, and whoever is maliciously leaking stuff is crossing the line.

For example, the allegation that Boris held a garden party is patently ridiculous.The photograph shows close working colleagues taking lunch refreshments after a press conference specifically held outdoors due to covid. In May, such press conferences were frequently held outdoors in compliance with Covid best practice. All featured in the leaked photograph were in the same 'working bubble'. If no outsiders were present at this working lunch then no rules were broken.

That is no different to footballers or cricketers that were playing behind closed doors in their covid secure bubble eating together after training or during a lunch break. Do note that I work in professional cricket and can testify to how such 'workplace bubbles'' are employed. As a match day official, I was in a seperate bubble from the players, whereas normally I would have lunched with them.

Working bubbles are completely different from household mixing. By definition, one can't keep co-workers apart except by home working. Government Offices must be exempt from home working because security dictates that you don't conduct Cabinet and defence sensitive meetings over insecure Zoom. Similarly, I can't score First Class cricket from home by watching a TV stream as Internet lag could open the door to potential betting fraud (as gaming outcomes might depend on my inputs, hence data recording lag is unacceptable ). Some jobs involving high integrity roles simply cannot be done from home, and hence working bubbles apply.

Lastly, whoever is repeatedly leaking misleading information to the media should be charged with offences under the Official Secrets Act and jailed. This nonsense is undermining the efforts of the majority to defeat this virus by falsely suggesting "Government is in disarray.". Cummins wasn't ever elected and albeit he was elected, Hancock also resigned. Others will fall on their swords if proven guilty. But it is time to wait for the outcome of the official investigation, and not trial by red-top and social media.
U's v Hartlepool postponed due to covid on 13:32 - Dec 20 with 1267 viewsLeadbelly

U's v Hartlepool postponed due to covid on 07:57 - Dec 20 by noah4x4

But there is no evidence that any ELECTED officials attended any "parties".

Whatever took place involved unelected Civil Servants. The most senior of all has already fallen on his sword. Holding Ministers responsible for activities over which they had no direct control nor had any direct involvement is ridiculous. The only outcome is going to be some generally decent hard working 'nine until five people' losing their jobs. In my experience of working with Government on finance for renewable energy projects, the TV programme Yes Minister was quite accurate as regards portraying the relationships between ministers and manipulating civil servants that would often undermine them, albeit without the comedy. I might agree something with a minister then run into a brick wall, until he/she cleared the path. Civil servants are not supposed to be Tories, Labour or Lib-Dem, and whoever is maliciously leaking stuff is crossing the line.

For example, the allegation that Boris held a garden party is patently ridiculous.The photograph shows close working colleagues taking lunch refreshments after a press conference specifically held outdoors due to covid. In May, such press conferences were frequently held outdoors in compliance with Covid best practice. All featured in the leaked photograph were in the same 'working bubble'. If no outsiders were present at this working lunch then no rules were broken.

That is no different to footballers or cricketers that were playing behind closed doors in their covid secure bubble eating together after training or during a lunch break. Do note that I work in professional cricket and can testify to how such 'workplace bubbles'' are employed. As a match day official, I was in a seperate bubble from the players, whereas normally I would have lunched with them.

Working bubbles are completely different from household mixing. By definition, one can't keep co-workers apart except by home working. Government Offices must be exempt from home working because security dictates that you don't conduct Cabinet and defence sensitive meetings over insecure Zoom. Similarly, I can't score First Class cricket from home by watching a TV stream as Internet lag could open the door to potential betting fraud (as gaming outcomes might depend on my inputs, hence data recording lag is unacceptable ). Some jobs involving high integrity roles simply cannot be done from home, and hence working bubbles apply.

Lastly, whoever is repeatedly leaking misleading information to the media should be charged with offences under the Official Secrets Act and jailed. This nonsense is undermining the efforts of the majority to defeat this virus by falsely suggesting "Government is in disarray.". Cummins wasn't ever elected and albeit he was elected, Hancock also resigned. Others will fall on their swords if proven guilty. But it is time to wait for the outcome of the official investigation, and not trial by red-top and social media.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-59722081

I suspect this qualifies as evidence, although whether it's a party or a work meeting depends on your point of view..

Meetings at my firm never take place in the garden, never involve attendees sitting at separate tables yards apart or standing in a group so far from the "boss" and never involve cheese and wine.

Happy to debate whether Boris Johnson is an elected official...but he was elected.

For what it's worth I'm completely fed up with this government p1ssing up my back and telling me it's raining.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

U's v Hartlepool postponed due to covid on 14:55 - Dec 20 with 1255 viewsRSCOSWORTH

U's v Hartlepool postponed due to covid on 13:32 - Dec 20 by Leadbelly

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-59722081

I suspect this qualifies as evidence, although whether it's a party or a work meeting depends on your point of view..

Meetings at my firm never take place in the garden, never involve attendees sitting at separate tables yards apart or standing in a group so far from the "boss" and never involve cheese and wine.

Happy to debate whether Boris Johnson is an elected official...but he was elected.

For what it's worth I'm completely fed up with this government p1ssing up my back and telling me it's raining.

That last line!!!

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

U's v Hartlepool postponed due to covid on 16:18 - Dec 20 with 1233 viewsnoah4x4

Taking a working lunch with a bottle of wine is a perfectly normal activity in the ‘City’, be it the City of London or City of Westminster. It is simply part of the routine culture, whilst others might sip tea and Fanta. This isn’t a ‘party’. With the wine bars shut, City work colleagues will inevitable rest wherever they can. There is absolutely no evidence from this photograph that this was anything other than people in a workplace bubble and not a ‘party’. If Boris is found guilty then he must resign. However, no evidence will materialise.

As regards politics, we are all entitled to our opinions. But when it comes to potential criminal acts there the standards of evidence are sacrosanct. If ‘parties’ were being held, does anybody seriously think that Boris wouldn’t be sacking the guilty civil servants? The top civil servant has already fallen on his sword. But that apart this isn’t justice, it is trial by red-top and social media. Unacceptable whoever is in power.
U's v Hartlepool postponed due to covid on 17:13 - Dec 20 with 1219 viewsLeadbelly

U's v Hartlepool postponed due to covid on 16:18 - Dec 20 by noah4x4

Taking a working lunch with a bottle of wine is a perfectly normal activity in the ‘City’, be it the City of London or City of Westminster. It is simply part of the routine culture, whilst others might sip tea and Fanta. This isn’t a ‘party’. With the wine bars shut, City work colleagues will inevitable rest wherever they can. There is absolutely no evidence from this photograph that this was anything other than people in a workplace bubble and not a ‘party’. If Boris is found guilty then he must resign. However, no evidence will materialise.

As regards politics, we are all entitled to our opinions. But when it comes to potential criminal acts there the standards of evidence are sacrosanct. If ‘parties’ were being held, does anybody seriously think that Boris wouldn’t be sacking the guilty civil servants? The top civil servant has already fallen on his sword. But that apart this isn’t justice, it is trial by red-top and social media. Unacceptable whoever is in power.

Is that the same Boris and same Conservative party who tried to rewrite the rules relating to MP's conduct to protect one of the own whose conduct was in question? He fell on his sword too and then the Conservatives got spanked in the by election.

Wrongdoers are only sacked or have a sword related accident when the wrongdoing has been uncovered and Boris and his cronies realise, eventually, that they can't spin the story to their liking. Someone other than them always takes the blame.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024