Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sporting allegiances... 14:33 - Sep 23 with 2622 viewsLeadbelly

...other than football.

What others sports teams do boarders follow avidly (or at least have a soft spot for) and why? Possibly of interest, possibly not, but here's my list.

Football - For family reasons, Leeds Utd but the U's are my "second" team due to my being born and dragged up in the Colchester area.

Cricket - Essex.

Rugby League - St Helens. I have an uncle who played for Widnes & Warrington during the 1970's. Like a lot of my mum's side of the family he lives in St Helens.

American Football - New England Patriots (since 1984 so not a glory hunter!) Followed them in the run-up to the Super Bowl against the Bears and decided not to join the pack interested only because of William "The Refrigerator" Perry.

Basketball - Boston Celtics. Nailed my colours to the Boston mast after opting to follow the Pats plus they had a player at the time with the same name as my brother. Slightly taller though!

Baseball - Boston Red Sox. See above.

Ice Hockey - Boston Bruins. See above. I also have a soft spot for the Calgary Flames as they are closest NHL team to where my brother lives and I've been to a home game.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Sporting allegiances... on 16:47 - Sep 23 with 2046 viewswessex_exile

Nothing more than passing interests, mainly to do with formative chapters of my life:

Football: Bradford City (university and another 5 years of working there after).

Rugby League: Castleford (two work placements totalling over a year during the worst of the Miner's Strike).

Gaelic Football and Hurling: Kerry (ex-girlfriend).

Rugby Union: Bath City (though the amount of mindless drones I see wandering around in Bath tops drives me to distraction).

Aussie Rules: St Kilda (thanks to an Aussie cycling mate who organised a beer and pie party to watch the 2010 final live - starting at 5am - match finished a draw and couldn't make the replay, which Collingwood won comfortably )

P.S. Going back to the subject of live music, and noting your Boston predilection, i'd imagine you're quite fond of the Dropkick Murphys too Whales?
[Post edited 23 Sep 2013 16:50]

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Sporting allegiances... on 17:14 - Sep 23 with 2038 viewsLeadbelly

Sporting allegiances... on 16:47 - Sep 23 by wessex_exile

Nothing more than passing interests, mainly to do with formative chapters of my life:

Football: Bradford City (university and another 5 years of working there after).

Rugby League: Castleford (two work placements totalling over a year during the worst of the Miner's Strike).

Gaelic Football and Hurling: Kerry (ex-girlfriend).

Rugby Union: Bath City (though the amount of mindless drones I see wandering around in Bath tops drives me to distraction).

Aussie Rules: St Kilda (thanks to an Aussie cycling mate who organised a beer and pie party to watch the 2010 final live - starting at 5am - match finished a draw and couldn't make the replay, which Collingwood won comfortably )

P.S. Going back to the subject of live music, and noting your Boston predilection, i'd imagine you're quite fond of the Dropkick Murphys too Whales?
[Post edited 23 Sep 2013 16:50]

Beer and pie party. I'm there, regardless of sport!

Dropkick Murphys are not without their merits but my favourite Boston area band is The Pixies, honourable mention to early Lemonheads.

As I slurred to you on Saturday, HMHB are in your part of the world in January. Square and Compass, Ilminster, Friday 17th, and O2, Bristol on Saturday 18th. Would love to be at either gig but not possible. Roadmender in Northampton in November is a possibility though.

Sporting allegiances... on 17:56 - Sep 23 with 2036 viewsburnsieespana

Essex for cricket.......I recall the days of Trevor Bailey, Doug Insole, Roy Ralph, etc.
F1 for the smell and noise. Even my other half has been converted as each year we go to the F1 testing at Jerez which is not far from us.
Rugby both union and league for the brute force.
My second team is Spurs as they were the first top team I saw which was a reward for passing my various GCE O levels in 1961!
Ice hockey since I was taken to watch a game by a business contact in Sweden around 1980!
.......my how time flies when you are having fun!!!
[Post edited 23 Sep 2013 17:57]
Sporting allegiances... on 22:57 - Sep 23 with 2013 viewsBarsidepete

Football - I like the Canaries. When they get a game that's broadcast, which for some reason is most of them in the us @=/ .. When I visit Colchester, Norwich is a fun day out and I really have no issues with the club. Kind of gives me a glass half full feeling that day. I watch the PL because I actually sort of care that day:D

Cricket - Essex.

American Football - Washington Redskins for not only geographic reasons, but I attended the Skins Super Bowl defeat in Tampa Bay in 1984, Oakland Raiders 38-9 winners. And I live here in dc and graduated from high school north of dc.. Ironically enough, when I moved to San Francisco for a decade (1990-2001) I was a Raiders ST holder

Basketball - Le Bron's Miami Heat. Hated by most but a work of art on the hard court:)

Baseball - Washington Nationals .. Even traveled to see them play spring training 2005 I believe that was, in Viera Florida.

Ice Hockey - Washington Capitals, and back in the olden days, the Colorado Rockies (for knowledgeable NHL fans, the team that left to become the New Jersey Devils, so perhaps an MKD type situation.

Guilty pleasures, Barca, B Munich, 1 Fc Nurrnberg, 1 Spvvg Furth, Banik Ostrava, ...

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

Sporting allegiances... on 23:28 - Sep 23 with 2008 viewsnoah4x4

Dunno about me having a soft spot; but I wouldn't mind following that Victoria Pendleton if on the back of a tandem (so she can't get ahead if me).

Otherwise; more parochial. Vice-president of Colchester Cricket; and I play decent local league table tennis. Will watch any sport on TV for amusement; but in the professional arena, am not that interested beyond a neutral; unless watching a team in blue & white (or white/gold).
Sporting allegiances... on 23:49 - Sep 23 with 2003 viewsBarsidepete

Sporting allegiances... on 23:28 - Sep 23 by noah4x4

Dunno about me having a soft spot; but I wouldn't mind following that Victoria Pendleton if on the back of a tandem (so she can't get ahead if me).

Otherwise; more parochial. Vice-president of Colchester Cricket; and I play decent local league table tennis. Will watch any sport on TV for amusement; but in the professional arena, am not that interested beyond a neutral; unless watching a team in blue & white (or white/gold).

Wait, hold on. VP of Colchester Cricket? Really?

Sporting allegiances... on 00:20 - Sep 24 with 1996 viewsdurham_exile

Football - Hannover 96 - Bundesliga - always watched them when visiting Germany
Football - Enfield (first team supported and where I was born)
Cricket - Middlesex (Lords was my second home!)
Rugby Union - Saracens - (when they used to play at Southgate)

But they all pale into insignificance against the mighty Col U!

Durham_exile

Sporting allegiances... on 07:35 - Sep 24 with 1987 viewsnoah4x4

Sporting allegiances... on 23:49 - Sep 23 by Barsidepete

Wait, hold on. VP of Colchester Cricket? Really?

I can see what you are thinking Pete; being based in the USA. or were you perhaps thinking of me as the (V)ictoria (P)endleton of Colchester? On your bike if you were!!!!

A VP means I am one of many loyal non-playing supporters of Colchester & E.E Cricket Club that chucks his wallet over the bar on a Saturday and watches the best cricket available below the County Competitions and fine entertainment it is too (I did play here at second XI standard until I retired from the game). Would encourage more to take a peek.

My point was to always "support your local team"- and that doesn't have to be the highest placed within travelling distance (e.g. West Ham or Essex C.C.C)!

You can hence here me cry...."Come on Colchester......." (Summer or Winter).
Login to get fewer ads

Sporting allegiances... on 08:15 - Sep 24 with 1978 viewsBluenWightExile

Football - There is only the U's.
But wherever I have lived I have put £ into grassroots football if I could not get to the U's Home or Away so I look for the results of several small clubs like Tiverton, AFC Penzance, Maidstone [the new club], Barwell, Guernsey & now Newport IoW with genuine interest.
Also as a frequenter of France whenever I can I look for the results of all their 3 top divisions and buy their weekly football paper whenever I can. Quite small towns have teams who are way up in their pyramid system.

Cricket - I lived in Somerset for 22 years so I would like them to win the CC before I shuffle away. They never have done. Always check Essex games too. Have spent hours at Taunton & Chelmsford...hours!

Rugby Union - I have been to games and enjoy this up to a point. I tend to check the English Divisional tables rather than any one club's fortunes.

American contrived Football/basketball/baseball - absolutely no interest whatsoever. Not in my culture/nature nor comprehension. So can't help there.

Ice Hockey - like watching it and used to enjoy Alan Weeks' commentaries on BBC1 Wednesday nights. There is a league team here on the IoW and I've a mind to go along. The Viking recently went to a game in the Midlands [Nottingham Panthers I think] and he had a great time.

And, yep, I like watching cycling too - the Tour de France especially. But, sadly Ms Pendleton is not much of an interest.

Otherwise I cannot think of any other team sports I watch Whalers!

And I have just realised it is still the cricket season here!
Perhaps when that's over the U's will win a few games...a win is long long overdue to settle nerves I think!

Pinault-noir

Sporting allegiances... on 10:07 - Sep 24 with 1977 viewsthrillseeker

After football my other real passion is cycling but I watch nearly all sports with interest

Cycling - SKY because they are a British team even if there is a real sprinkling of nationalities within team

Rugby Union - I love watching Southern Hemisphere Super Rugby and take an interest in the New Zealand teams especially The Crusaders and Highlanders as I saw these whilst on my travels in 2004. The Chiefs are also a joy to watch. I just wish Northern Hemisphere teams would play the same flowing enjoyable style of rugby

Rugby League - I watch it now and again when it's on SKY.Hopefully going to some World Cup matches

Cricket - hate the game but will always wish Essex to do well as I'm an Essex Boy

American Football - used to play game but never really got into it. I've always liked the Patriots because from a young age I noticed they had England in their title - easily pleased

Ice Hockey - I once saw the Anaheim Ducks play but no interest in any team but thoroughly enjoy watching it as a spectator. I saw a number of games in Czech Republic

Baseball - this game is worse than cricket

Basketball - this game is even worse then cricket and baseball

Aussie Rules - Western Bulldogs - my mate in Essendon took me to the MCG to see the Bulldogs play
[Post edited 24 Sep 2013 10:09]
Sporting allegiances... on 13:32 - Sep 24 with 1964 viewsAFCMorant

Cricket to watch.
Road cycling to participate and watch.
Really enjoyed watching the baseball in HD on our recent trip to the USA.
Sporting allegiances... on 13:48 - Sep 24 with 1962 viewsDaniel

Football - Spurs are my second team. they were originally my first team as I went to WHL before I went to Layer Road.

Motorsport - F1, Mclaren fan, BTCC, Honda fan.
Sporting allegiances... on 15:15 - Sep 24 with 1955 viewsBarsidepete

Sporting allegiances... on 13:48 - Sep 24 by Daniel

Football - Spurs are my second team. they were originally my first team as I went to WHL before I went to Layer Road.

Motorsport - F1, Mclaren fan, BTCC, Honda fan.

Yo, you seeing the film Rush, about the James Hunt and Niki Lauda rivalry? Ron Howard is a pretty darned good director and this focuses on the personalities. Should be a good one.

Sporting allegiances... on 18:49 - Sep 24 with 1942 viewsBFG

Football - I too am a proud supporter of the Canaries owing to family reasons and as such have a particular dislike to Mr Lambert. I have been known to visit Brisbane Rd with OhOriOri a few times too which is a good ground. I have a keen interest in non-league goings-on too.

Cricket - Time permitting I like watching a match with purpose, ie winner takes all. Love the Ashes and of course follow Essex.

Darts - Yes this has become my guilty pleasure in the last few years. I watch as much as I can and went to the Premier League Darts finals in May.

Rugby - Only really the 6 nations otherwise not too worried.

F1 - Used to like it, now think it's pointless.

Tennis and Golf - Not if you paid me.

Sporting allegiances... on 18:58 - Sep 24 with 1937 viewsgerry_us

Strangely a bit of a follower of Forfar Athletic as trained with them pre-season one summer in my refereeing days and ref'd most of their pre season fixtures.....and no, I don't think there has ever been a score of Forfar 4 East Fife 5.

Also supported Minnesota Twins baseball during my time over the pond but didn't really get into either American footy or ice hockey. However went to one ice hockey match between Minnesota Wild and Vancouver Canucks and absolutely loved the pre-match, interval and the staging but try as I did it was almost impossible to see where the puck was in play..they need to make it BIGGER.

Also a bit disappointed with Essex cricket as well, doomed to another season in Div.2

Rugby League? Legalised violence but they do actually respect the officials as they do in Union. Footy could learn a bit from that aspect of both games.
Sporting allegiances... on 19:07 - Sep 24 with 1934 viewswessex_exile

Sporting allegiances... on 18:58 - Sep 24 by gerry_us

Strangely a bit of a follower of Forfar Athletic as trained with them pre-season one summer in my refereeing days and ref'd most of their pre season fixtures.....and no, I don't think there has ever been a score of Forfar 4 East Fife 5.

Also supported Minnesota Twins baseball during my time over the pond but didn't really get into either American footy or ice hockey. However went to one ice hockey match between Minnesota Wild and Vancouver Canucks and absolutely loved the pre-match, interval and the staging but try as I did it was almost impossible to see where the puck was in play..they need to make it BIGGER.

Also a bit disappointed with Essex cricket as well, doomed to another season in Div.2

Rugby League? Legalised violence but they do actually respect the officials as they do in Union. Footy could learn a bit from that aspect of both games.

Close though - January '64 it was Forfar 5 East Fife 4 - you can just hear the (retired) legend that is James Alexander Gordon saying it can't you

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Sporting allegiances... on 19:19 - Sep 24 with 1933 viewsDaniel

Sporting allegiances... on 15:15 - Sep 24 by Barsidepete

Yo, you seeing the film Rush, about the James Hunt and Niki Lauda rivalry? Ron Howard is a pretty darned good director and this focuses on the personalities. Should be a good one.

Saw it at the weekend Pete. Can definitely recommend it. For a true story it's such a Hollywood story.
Sporting allegiances... on 23:08 - Sep 24 with 1921 viewsFruitbat

Football, The Arsenal (although I havent been since Highbury), Dads a Gooner, and Wivenhoe Town which is Bwildered fault.

Essex CCC but purely an armchair supporter.

NFL, San Francisco because the first game I went to at Wembley was to see them vs Miami and it just seemed like everyone else in the ground was a Dolphins fan.

Rugby in any form holds no interest for me whatsoever, neither do tennis, golf, F1 (what IS the point?) Horse racing, basketball or snooker. Baseball I have no knowlege of at all, is it like rounders with a bigger bat?

Recently found myself watching some cycling on eurosport, find the tactcal nature of the race quite interesting.
Sporting allegiances... on 23:37 - Sep 25 with 1897 viewsBarsidepete

Sporting allegiances... on 23:08 - Sep 24 by Fruitbat

Football, The Arsenal (although I havent been since Highbury), Dads a Gooner, and Wivenhoe Town which is Bwildered fault.

Essex CCC but purely an armchair supporter.

NFL, San Francisco because the first game I went to at Wembley was to see them vs Miami and it just seemed like everyone else in the ground was a Dolphins fan.

Rugby in any form holds no interest for me whatsoever, neither do tennis, golf, F1 (what IS the point?) Horse racing, basketball or snooker. Baseball I have no knowlege of at all, is it like rounders with a bigger bat?

Recently found myself watching some cycling on eurosport, find the tactcal nature of the race quite interesting.

Supporting the 5 time Super Bowl champion 49ers, way to go out on a limb there.. (you do know they are named for the 1849 California gold rush, just asking?

And to the New England supporters, that's akin to being fans of Man U or something. Who are you people?

Sporting allegiances... on 23:56 - Sep 25 with 1894 viewsFruitbat

Sporting allegiances... on 23:37 - Sep 25 by Barsidepete

Supporting the 5 time Super Bowl champion 49ers, way to go out on a limb there.. (you do know they are named for the 1849 California gold rush, just asking?

And to the New England supporters, that's akin to being fans of Man U or something. Who are you people?

I lucked out with my support of the (18)49ers (I did know that). Knew nothing about them at the time but came in right at the begnning of their dominant spell at the end of the 80s. Never got tired of hearing the phrase

"Montana to Rice................................TOUCHDOWN!"
Sporting allegiances... on 09:55 - Sep 26 with 1886 viewsLeadbelly

As I said in the opening post, I've supported the Patriots since 1984. First Super Bowl win wasn't until 2002 so I'd say 18 years of support before they won the big one doesn't really qualify me as a glory hunter.

Sporting allegiances... on 13:38 - Sep 26 with 1877 viewsBarsidepete

Sporting allegiances... on 09:55 - Sep 26 by Leadbelly

As I said in the opening post, I've supported the Patriots since 1984. First Super Bowl win wasn't until 2002 so I'd say 18 years of support before they won the big one doesn't really qualify me as a glory hunter.

My point was not that you as a Pats fan were a glory hunter in this frankly amazing Tom Brady era, but that you were a Pats supporter period. I have clear memories of the Steve Grogan era.. 75-90 played his entire career with the club. I mean how cool is that. *oh wait, Brady is going to do that

Sporting allegiances... on 14:01 - Sep 26 with 1870 viewsBarsidepete

Sporting allegiances... on 23:56 - Sep 25 by Fruitbat

I lucked out with my support of the (18)49ers (I did know that). Knew nothing about them at the time but came in right at the begnning of their dominant spell at the end of the 80s. Never got tired of hearing the phrase

"Montana to Rice................................TOUCHDOWN!"

That was a poke, but glad you knew that. Take any 98 out of a 100 in the states and outside of California,they won't know what 49'ers means, but they know the team. I mean why the heck is Colchester Coludominion? Or summat

Sporting allegiances... on 15:35 - Sep 26 with 1861 viewsLeadbelly

I assume the Philadelphia '76ers are so named due to the Declaration Of Independence having been signed in Philly in 1776?

Sporting allegiances... on 22:45 - Sep 26 with 1840 viewsBarsidepete

Sporting allegiances... on 15:35 - Sep 26 by Leadbelly

I assume the Philadelphia '76ers are so named due to the Declaration Of Independence having been signed in Philly in 1776?

Well of course.. That number is a bit more dareisay iconic, the 76.. The local NBA team the Washington Wizards, renamed a few years ago for politically correct reasons, do you know what they used to be called?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024