Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Martinelli sending off 22:05 - Feb 10 with 1925 viewspjt50

Very unusual sending off in the Wolves vs Arsenal game tonight. Martinelli tried to stop a Wolves player taking a throw-in & then immediately chopped down the guy who received the ball. He was given 2 yellows at the same time. They could only find a handful of times it's happened in World football.

Probably 2 good results for Saints.

Poll: Where do you hope to see Salisu start (OK, I know we haven't seen him yet)?

Martinelli sending off on 02:37 - Feb 11 with 1778 viewsNYC_Saint

I thought he was fouled before it went for a throw in and this as a red VAR should have pulled it back to that? It’s like double jeopardy: when you play advantage, shouldn’t be able to be double yellow carded…
Martinelli sending off on 09:25 - Feb 11 with 1657 viewspjt50

Martinelli sending off on 02:37 - Feb 11 by NYC_Saint

I thought he was fouled before it went for a throw in and this as a red VAR should have pulled it back to that? It’s like double jeopardy: when you play advantage, shouldn’t be able to be double yellow carded…

Because it's 2 yellows rather than a straight red VAR doesn't get involved. It was deserved, it's just that he didn't know he was on a yellow when he committed the second offence. Otherwise he probably wouldn't have done it. A yellow card normally means a warning.

Poll: Where do you hope to see Salisu start (OK, I know we haven't seen him yet)?

Martinelli sending off on 10:42 - Feb 11 with 1604 viewsBerber

No, that is not how it works. Players often get warned by the ref before they ever give a yellow. A yellow is a penalty that equates to the severity of the offence. Professional players know that deliberately impeding play may get them a card, time wasting, standing in front of the player taking a free kick, blocking the goaly. Same as kicking a player down or wrestling them to prevent their progress.
Martinelli sending off on 10:54 - Feb 11 with 1594 viewspjt50

Martinelli sending off on 10:42 - Feb 11 by Berber

No, that is not how it works. Players often get warned by the ref before they ever give a yellow. A yellow is a penalty that equates to the severity of the offence. Professional players know that deliberately impeding play may get them a card, time wasting, standing in front of the player taking a free kick, blocking the goaly. Same as kicking a player down or wrestling them to prevent their progress.

I'm not defending him but according to the IFAB laws, “The yellow card communicates a caution...”. The first yellow here didn't communicate a caution because he was immediately given another one & sent off.
[Post edited 11 Feb 2022 11:19]

Martinelli sending off on 11:17 - Feb 11 with 1579 viewsTimSaint

I think we have a referee who regularly posts on here, so he should be able to clarify things for everyone.

I haven't seen it yet, but I am sure that one of the yellow cards will be for a 'foul' on Podence - the horrible little diving, injury feigning, cheating, time wasting cvnt, who is up there with the likes of Salah, Kane, Son, Alli and Vardy !! His antics for our recent visit to Molineaux were deplorable.

TimSaint

Martinelli sending off on 13:22 - Feb 11 with 1511 viewsBerber

Martinelli sending off on 10:54 - Feb 11 by pjt50

I'm not defending him but according to the IFAB laws, “The yellow card communicates a caution...”. The first yellow here didn't communicate a caution because he was immediately given another one & sent off.

I hear what you are saying, and it certainly is a rare event. I was just pointing out that if players commit bookable offences, they know they should get a booking, so shouldn't be surprised if one is given. I don't think that a player understanding that he has been cautioned comes into it as a defence when the laws are applied, ever. There are plenty that think they have done nothing wrong, even after being shown a red.
Martinelli sending off on 14:36 - Feb 11 with 1475 viewsSadoldgit

Perhaps he should have stopped play to give the first yellow but refs often let play go in and deliver a yellow when it comes to a halt. Not sure what else he could do though when two possible card events happen in very quick succession.
Martinelli sending off on 16:29 - Feb 11 with 1432 viewsElijahK

Martinelli sending off on 02:37 - Feb 11 by NYC_Saint

Well you can in the LOTG, as he’s committed a second yellow card offence just after committing a first so was rightfully sent off

Poll: Should the football be on again next weekend

Login to get fewer ads

Martinelli sending off on 16:33 - Feb 11 with 1429 viewsElijahK

Martinelli sending off on 10:54 - Feb 11 by pjt50

Yes but as advantage was played to benefit the offended team, therefore the referee under law 5 has the right to play on and come back and caution the player for unsporting behaviour once the ball is next out of play, which is exactly what Oliver did, it’s just he also had to caution the Arsenal lad for stopping a promising attack so received a second yellow card for that.

As cards aren’t there to communicate anything with the players, but are there for player safety or the upholding of the sporting behaviour of the game. Simple as really, and spit in by Oliver

Martinelli sending off on 16:42 - Feb 11 with 1416 viewsElijahK

Martinelli sending off on 11:17 - Feb 11 by TimSaint

I think we have a referee who regularly posts on here, so he should be able to clarify things for everyone.

I haven't seen it yet, but I am sure that one of the yellow cards will be for a 'foul' on Podence - the horrible little diving, injury feigning, cheating, time wasting cvnt, who is up there with the likes of Salah, Kane, Son, Alli and Vardy !! His antics for our recent visit to Molineaux were deplorable.

Yeah well it can be annoying/frustrating to see soo many idiots (not on here though but on talksport and social media or such criticise one of the best refs in the world right now, and is certainly one of the PL’s best ones (along with Anthony Taylor) for something he got spot on.

But the reason for it was because the first one could arguably be for one of ether two offences under unsporting behaviour, that the Arsenal play committed which were knowingly not respecting the required distance at restart by intentionally blocking him off, or for an aggressive attitude by shoving the wolves lad for the first bookable offence and the second was for denying the opposition a promising goalscoring opportunity, which is also a cautionable offence, hence why he was sent off.
But whether you thought the wolves lad overrated to the shove or not, as the ball was clearly out of play and it was done to try and prevent him taking a quick throw on, it’s a foul and definitely a cautioning.

Martinelli sending off on 16:47 - Feb 11 with 1405 viewsElijahK

Martinelli sending off on 14:36 - Feb 11 by Sadoldgit

Perhaps he should have stopped play to give the first yellow but refs often let play go in and deliver a yellow when it comes to a halt. Not sure what else he could do though when two possible card events happen in very quick succession.

But that’s only when the offended team keep possession of the ball. As it’s done for the o main reasons, one of which is for the benefit of the offended team and can sometimes lead to goals and such, which if they don’t happen can be brought back for the foul (so is arguably a win-win situation) as well as letting the game flow. As if refs like myself blew for every foul they saw, then the game would be as static as the shite American football, and that’s certainly not entertaining for fans, whilst if a team keeps possession and you play a few seconds advantage for the non-serious fouls (even when it’s in their own half and isn’t some goalscoring opportunity) it lets the game flow a lot more meaning that the players don’t have to all go back and the momentum of the game isn’t lost.

Martinelli sending off on 16:14 - Feb 12 with 1264 viewsBerber

Martinelli sending off on 16:33 - Feb 11 by ElijahK

Yes but as advantage was played to benefit the offended team, therefore the referee under law 5 has the right to play on and come back and caution the player for unsporting behaviour once the ball is next out of play, which is exactly what Oliver did, it’s just he also had to caution the Arsenal lad for stopping a promising attack so received a second yellow card for that.

As cards aren’t there to communicate anything with the players, but are there for player safety or the upholding of the sporting behaviour of the game. Simple as really, and spit in by Oliver

Yep, we wouldn't be having this discussion if it was two different players that each received a yellow.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024