Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Phil Jones - we cannot be serious. 15:32 - Jun 8 with 1996 viewsGRIM

Latest rumour is that we are looking to sign Phil Jones from Man U.
This cannot be true, are we that desperate.
Suggestions are that Jones would give us the leadership at the back that we have been lacking.
The only place Jones could lead us to is the
TREATMENT TABLE or the Championship.
We'd be better off getting Jose Fonte or better still Michael Svenson back (joking).
Sam Allardyce has still got his boots perhaps he'd be a better option. (joke).
I don't think this new ownership has the ambition that we had hoped for, I think they intend to take us down to Championship then bring us back up to Premier to get the Parachute payments applicable.
I just hope I'm wrong.
Phil Jones - we cannot be serious. on 15:51 - Jun 8 with 1973 views1885_SFC

I was hoping we'd be in for Burnley's James Tarkowski - but he's having a medical at Everton as I type this.

Old School is Cool

Phil Jones - we cannot be serious. on 16:01 - Jun 8 with 1954 viewsBicester_North

Phil Jones - we cannot be serious. on 15:51 - Jun 8 by 1885_SFC

I was hoping we'd be in for Burnley's James Tarkowski - but he's having a medical at Everton as I type this.

Exactly right- if we aren’t bidding for the likes of Tarkowski with our shambolic recent history then it demonstrates our new owners are cheapskates happy to chance it on risky business.

Poll: Who do you feel most sorry for

Phil Jones - we cannot be serious. on 16:46 - Jun 8 with 1913 viewsPatfromPoole

Phil Jones - we cannot be serious. on 15:51 - Jun 8 by 1885_SFC

They were always going to throw big ££££’s at Tarkowski.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Phil Jones - we cannot be serious. on 16:54 - Jun 8 with 1891 views1885_SFC

Phil Jones - we cannot be serious. on 16:46 - Jun 8 by PatfromPoole

They were always going to throw big ££££’s at Tarkowski.

Which is exactly what you need to do in order to acquire the services of a very capable defender.

Old School is Cool

Phil Jones - we cannot be serious. on 19:02 - Jun 8 with 1789 viewssaintwizzler

Jones would be the best CB at the club were we to sign him.

Sad
But
True

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

Phil Jones - we cannot be serious. on 19:12 - Jun 8 with 1777 viewsPatfromPoole

Phil Jones - we cannot be serious. on 19:02 - Jun 8 by saintwizzler

Sad
But
True

I am inclined to suggest that if we were to sign Mister Enter Sandman, he may well be the best CB at the club.

Hon.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Phil Jones - we cannot be serious. on 19:58 - Jun 8 with 1726 viewsSonicBoom

Phil Jones - we cannot be serious. on 16:54 - Jun 8 by 1885_SFC

Which is exactly what you need to do in order to acquire the services of a very capable defender.

Everton spent over 500 million and got worse so let's not just assume spending a lot on players guarantees anything.
Phil Jones - we cannot be serious. on 21:15 - Jun 8 with 1687 views1885_SFC

Phil Jones - we cannot be serious. on 19:58 - Jun 8 by SonicBoom

Everton spent over 500 million and got worse so let's not just assume spending a lot on players guarantees anything.

I don't - it's all about spending money wisely. We paid £13M for van Djik back in 2015. I guess with today's inflation in the crazy world of football, that sum would be nearer £20M/£25M today - and that, to me, is what we should be looking for - cost wise. I don't expect us to spend that each on several new players, but we should be paying around that for one proven, quality, experienced CB.

Old School is Cool

Login to get fewer ads

Phil Jones - we cannot be serious. on 21:40 - Jun 8 with 1655 viewsElijahK

Phil Jones - we cannot be serious. on 19:58 - Jun 8 by SonicBoom

Yeah but that was just a bit of a fluke though. As when you look at the last 10 or so seasons and compare the tables of NET spend and wages to the final league positions, they’re very similar, as these days you have to spend big to achieve anything, as there’s a reason why all the teams that aren’t (like us, Burnley, Palace, Brighton etc) are almost always down low, and those that spend a bit (Wolves, West Ham, Everton, Leicester etc) finish midtablish, and those that spend ridiculous amounts (aka the “top 6”) finish in all the European spots and basically win everything.

Poll: Should the football be on again next weekend

Phil Jones - we cannot be serious. on 21:45 - Jun 8 with 1649 viewscocklebreath

Phil Jones - we cannot be serious. on 21:15 - Jun 8 by 1885_SFC

I don't - it's all about spending money wisely. We paid £13M for van Djik back in 2015. I guess with today's inflation in the crazy world of football, that sum would be nearer £20M/£25M today - and that, to me, is what we should be looking for - cost wise. I don't expect us to spend that each on several new players, but we should be paying around that for one proven, quality, experienced CB.

That’s it we haven’t upped our limit in 10 years and been left behind, I’ve never been less excited by the possible signings, not even exciting players I’ve never heard of just old cloggers and youngsters who won’t play. McCarthy and Ely getting new contracts just emphasises how crap we are

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Phil Jones - we cannot be serious. on 08:48 - Jun 9 with 1450 viewsBuggalugs

Phil Jones - we cannot be serious. on 21:15 - Jun 8 by 1885_SFC

The problem with Tarkowski is he's a free agent, so is able to command mega bucks in salary. I can accept it's not realistic to expect us bust our wage structure on someone like that as you have to consider what knock on effect chucking that sort of money around will have on the likes of JWP, KWP, Salisu etc. He was always going to end up at an Everton/Newcastle/West Ham type club.

I still believe there's plenty of players we could bring in with the experience and leadership qualities we need, but unfortunately our transfer policy has meant we've only ever been interested in future sell on potential. Take the Man City keeper....yes, he might turn out to be worth £40/£50m in a couple of seasons, but it's more likely he won't and we've spunked another £10m on an unproven gamble.

I'm all for buying potential, but until we have a core spine of experienced, solid professionals, we're only ever going to bumble along.
[Post edited 9 Jun 2022 8:51]

Poll: How do YOU define a racist?

Phil Jones - we cannot be serious. on 10:39 - Jun 9 with 1381 viewssaintwizzler

Phil Jones - we cannot be serious. on 08:48 - Jun 9 by Buggalugs

The problem with Tarkowski is he's a free agent, so is able to command mega bucks in salary. I can accept it's not realistic to expect us bust our wage structure on someone like that as you have to consider what knock on effect chucking that sort of money around will have on the likes of JWP, KWP, Salisu etc. He was always going to end up at an Everton/Newcastle/West Ham type club.

I still believe there's plenty of players we could bring in with the experience and leadership qualities we need, but unfortunately our transfer policy has meant we've only ever been interested in future sell on potential. Take the Man City keeper....yes, he might turn out to be worth £40/£50m in a couple of seasons, but it's more likely he won't and we've spunked another £10m on an unproven gamble.

I'm all for buying potential, but until we have a core spine of experienced, solid professionals, we're only ever going to bumble along.
[Post edited 9 Jun 2022 8:51]

Yep.

Phil Jones - we cannot be serious. on 13:03 - Jun 9 with 1332 viewssaint22

FFS do we think defending doesn't matter
Can you imagine Jones and Lyanco up against Haaland
Good god WHO is the recruitment head at our club?

We need quality at the back so invest FFS
Phil Jones - we cannot be serious. on 18:07 - Jun 9 with 1267 viewsElijahK

Phil Jones - we cannot be serious. on 13:03 - Jun 9 by saint22

But that means that we need money, and it doesn’t seem like that’s going to be coming in a ,argue enough quantity to do so this summer.

Poll: Should the football be on again next weekend

Phil Jones - we cannot be serious. on 23:34 - Jun 9 with 1138 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

I don't see the issue with Jones. Saints need some experience and proven top flight quality - even if it's for one year, I'd take him.

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

Phil Jones - we cannot be serious. on 01:50 - Jun 10 with 1097 viewsdarthvader

Jack Stephens wont take not shït from him

keep the faith coyr

Phil Jones - we cannot be serious. on 11:40 - Jun 10 with 999 viewsBerber

Phil Jones - we cannot be serious. on 19:02 - Jun 8 by saintwizzler

Sad
But
True

Maybe on a very few days over a few seasons.
Phil Jones - we cannot be serious. on 11:42 - Jun 10 with 995 viewssaintwizzler

Phil Jones - we cannot be serious. on 11:40 - Jun 10 by Berber

Maybe on a very few days over a few seasons.

Yes I’ll give you that.
Injury prone.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024