Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
world cup 19:07 - Dec 18 with 3681 viewsdigswellhoop

fifa boss says this was best of all-time
whats everyone's thoughts
im an old git so i go back along way
think this is to much hype cant compare differnt ages but mmexico 1970 has to be up there OH AND 1966
world cup on 19:15 - Dec 18 with 2860 viewsessextaxiboy

7.5 billion in commercial revenue.... Rangers fans in da house
world cup on 19:20 - Dec 18 with 2831 viewsManinBlack

I can't recall now but weren't England and Brazil unbeaten on 66 and 70? To be crowned World champions I believe that the winners should not lose any games in a tournament so it was disappointing to see today's final played by two countries with one defeat each. After all England only lost once and they were out!
world cup on 19:21 - Dec 18 with 2828 viewsdigswellhoop

best players never given a chance
bowles marsh hoddle
letisseier and another ENGLISH FLAIR PLAYERS
COULD HAVE BEEN THE GREATEST THOUGHTS
world cup on 19:26 - Dec 18 with 2808 viewsdigswellhoop

the tournament and games were great whoever won
IM A FOOTBALL FAN
world cup on 21:21 - Dec 18 with 2655 viewsLogman

It was good. I think the polemics actually served to make the football more acute although it's saddening that we go back to all the injustices now that it is all over. Also, the timing, in November/December helped. However the plans for 2026 are very bad with the tournament taking place in Mexico/USA/Canada and 48 teams in 16 groups of 3. I cannot understand the logic behind it at all.
world cup on 21:26 - Dec 18 with 2633 viewsRanger_Things

world cup on 21:21 - Dec 18 by Logman

It was good. I think the polemics actually served to make the football more acute although it's saddening that we go back to all the injustices now that it is all over. Also, the timing, in November/December helped. However the plans for 2026 are very bad with the tournament taking place in Mexico/USA/Canada and 48 teams in 16 groups of 3. I cannot understand the logic behind it at all.

More games, more money. The logic is simply to fill FIFA’s bank accounts.
world cup on 21:36 - Dec 18 with 2606 viewsderbyhoop

More than a few surprises.
England unfortunate to go out after dominating the previous world champions. Plenty of hope in the youngsters.
An African team 4th
Amazing final , even if France didn't start until 75th minute.
I don't think you can overlook the corruption that led to it being played in a country with an awful approach to basic human rights.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

world cup on 22:14 - Dec 18 with 2523 viewsdanehoop

world cup on 21:36 - Dec 18 by derbyhoop

More than a few surprises.
England unfortunate to go out after dominating the previous world champions. Plenty of hope in the youngsters.
An African team 4th
Amazing final , even if France didn't start until 75th minute.
I don't think you can overlook the corruption that led to it being played in a country with an awful approach to basic human rights.

Anything Infantino says should be treated with contempt. Utterly corrupt and morally bankrupt organisation.

Never knowingly understood

Login to get fewer ads

world cup on 22:18 - Dec 18 with 2507 viewsMrSheen

So how does Infantino justify screwing with the format?

What I did like was the energy of the players, a proper balance between attack and defence and the refereeing - on the right side of permissive and with VAR significantly dialled-down.

Best tournament ever was the 2008 Euros in my humble…
world cup on 22:28 - Dec 18 with 2462 viewsChrisNW6

Best final, in my living memory and the football across the whole tournament, was right up there. Do not think the tournament deserves to be rated as the most successful due to all the negatives off the pitch.
world cup on 22:41 - Dec 18 with 2430 viewsTomS

world cup on 22:14 - Dec 18 by danehoop

Anything Infantino says should be treated with contempt. Utterly corrupt and morally bankrupt organisation.

I totally agree. I'm reminded of an appropriate quote from Gladiator which FIFA might have used "Are you not entertained?"
world cup on 10:30 - Dec 19 with 2207 viewsessextaxiboy

world cup on 22:14 - Dec 18 by danehoop

....was
world cup on 10:43 - Dec 19 with 2176 viewsloftus77

England unbeaten in 1982 also. Best France, held (West) Germany and hosts Spain.

For me, still the best World Cup - Socrates, Zico, Rossi, Tardelli.
world cup on 10:45 - Dec 19 with 2172 viewsJuzzie

world cup on 22:18 - Dec 18 by MrSheen

So how does Infantino justify screwing with the format?

What I did like was the energy of the players, a proper balance between attack and defence and the refereeing - on the right side of permissive and with VAR significantly dialled-down.

Best tournament ever was the 2008 Euros in my humble…

"So how does Infantino justify screwing with the format?" - in order to keep himself in a job. People at that level in business do this all the time. Unless they keep tinkering with things (whether needed or not) they position then becomes questionable.

In terms of the OP's remark about this being claimed as the best ever, it does not surprise me. They said this in 2018 and they'll say it at the next one. What else are they going to say? This is big business bullsh... I mean, marketing.
It's the same schit we are fed in a daily basis in politics, religion and everything else.
world cup on 10:50 - Dec 19 with 2153 viewsSonofpugwash

No the best one was in 2232.

Yours,sincerely,Michel de Nostredame.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

world cup on 11:08 - Dec 19 with 2109 viewshubble

world cup on 10:50 - Dec 19 by Sonofpugwash

No the best one was in 2232.

Yours,sincerely,Michel de Nostredame.

Is that the one where the genetically modifed non-binary humanoid scored the incredible bicycle kick winner with its extending bionic leg?

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

world cup on 11:23 - Dec 19 with 2076 viewsRangers67

I suggest he asks some of the relatives of the poor buggers that died constructing this tribute to his ego and the corruption surrounding the bid and see what they think.
world cup on 14:08 - Dec 19 with 1937 viewsSonofpugwash

world cup on 11:08 - Dec 19 by hubble

Is that the one where the genetically modifed non-binary humanoid scored the incredible bicycle kick winner with its extending bionic leg?

That's the one.Baffin Land v Tierra Del Fuego at the leafy Amundsen - Scott Stadium,Antarctica.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

world cup on 14:13 - Dec 19 with 1934 viewsAntti_Heinola

Best Final ever I think, but as a whole I felt it was a poor tournament. 2018 I thought was fantastic, full of real attacking football. This one felt more negative to me in terms of tactics, and there were too many mis-matches (which will get much worse in 4 years with 16 more, likely quite poor, teams added to the mix).
Final round of Group Games were great, but the Round of 16, other than Morocco, was really disappointing. The quarters, too, were not great, with England v France deserving a much bigger stage than a quarter final. Semis rather lacking in excitement too. But then the final was one for the ages!

Bare bones.

world cup on 14:22 - Dec 19 with 1921 viewsAddinall

Until the French scored in the 80th minute the general view of the BBC commentators was that they hadn't contributed anything worthwhile.

The Argentinian penalty was dubious at best.

So a very good 40 minutes of the actual game has led to it being called the best ever.

1966 in my opinion was a far better spectacle played on a surface that would give the current lot nightmares.
world cup on 23:46 - Dec 19 with 1753 viewsBasingstokeR

Sh*te World Cup imo despite some really great moments in the knockout stages; don’t think any team played consistently great either (Morocco we’re very good value throughout)

Great / fantastic final from about 70th minute onward barring the 2nd Argentina goal.
Brighton player was pretty great this tournament as well along with Greizmann and a couple of the Morocco midfielders.
world cup on 08:14 - Dec 20 with 1678 viewsRanger_Things

world cup on 19:15 - Dec 18 by essextaxiboy

7.5 billion in commercial revenue.... Rangers fans in da house

I’m not sure how FIFA pocketing billions and tarnishing the game could possibly be a good thing especially when the environmental damage, human tragedy and exploitation was so costly. Personally I find it sickening.
The football itself was excellent, arguably one of the best tournaments ever but the atmosphere at the matches bar Argentina, Mexico and Morocco was woeful. Fans were also barred from entry if they wore anything the Qatari authorities didn’t approve of and we had FIFA’s ridiculous about face on armbands, speaking out etc. Presumably due to pressure from their Qatari paymasters. This was purely an exercise in extreme sports washing by a corrupt organisation on behalf of a corrupt government and should have never been allowed to happen.

EDIT: Not a pop at you or your lads btw, I’m glad you are proud they did their jobs well.
[Post edited 20 Dec 2022 8:21]
world cup on 08:18 - Dec 20 with 1676 viewsdistortR

world cup on 14:13 - Dec 19 by Antti_Heinola

Best Final ever I think, but as a whole I felt it was a poor tournament. 2018 I thought was fantastic, full of real attacking football. This one felt more negative to me in terms of tactics, and there were too many mis-matches (which will get much worse in 4 years with 16 more, likely quite poor, teams added to the mix).
Final round of Group Games were great, but the Round of 16, other than Morocco, was really disappointing. The quarters, too, were not great, with England v France deserving a much bigger stage than a quarter final. Semis rather lacking in excitement too. But then the final was one for the ages!

Don't be afraid to say "Scotland", mate
world cup on 11:25 - Dec 20 with 1604 viewsWegerles_Stairs

world cup on 10:43 - Dec 19 by loftus77

England unbeaten in 1982 also. Best France, held (West) Germany and hosts Spain.

For me, still the best World Cup - Socrates, Zico, Rossi, Tardelli.

I think it's down to your age. I was eight in 1982, so was the perfect age to consume it without cynicism. Bryan Robson's 27-second goal; Algeria-Germany; David Narey's toe-poke; the Kuwaiti Sheikh; Gerry Armstrong; CCCP on the shirt; the Anschluss; Diego getting sent off; 'supersubs' Brooking and Keegan; the Rossi hat-trick; France-Germany; Schumacher's ABH; Marco Tardelli's celebration.....and of course, my favourite team ever, Serginho and co. All that and an orange as the mascot - what's not to love?

I enjoyed this WC - loads of stories, surprises and an incredible final. But let's face it, even when the football is comparatively poor (1990), it's still memorable.
world cup on 14:23 - Dec 20 with 1505 viewsessextaxiboy

world cup on 08:14 - Dec 20 by Ranger_Things

I’m not sure how FIFA pocketing billions and tarnishing the game could possibly be a good thing especially when the environmental damage, human tragedy and exploitation was so costly. Personally I find it sickening.
The football itself was excellent, arguably one of the best tournaments ever but the atmosphere at the matches bar Argentina, Mexico and Morocco was woeful. Fans were also barred from entry if they wore anything the Qatari authorities didn’t approve of and we had FIFA’s ridiculous about face on armbands, speaking out etc. Presumably due to pressure from their Qatari paymasters. This was purely an exercise in extreme sports washing by a corrupt organisation on behalf of a corrupt government and should have never been allowed to happen.

EDIT: Not a pop at you or your lads btw, I’m glad you are proud they did their jobs well.
[Post edited 20 Dec 2022 8:21]

Thanks , FIFA had some bad apples at the top and they filled their boots no doubt , but they are gone and gradually since then then established staff are moving on . Infantino (IMO) is an egotistical transitional President . It takes time
FIFA is a registered charity , if you are ever in Zurich go to the FIFA museum it gives you an idea of the stuff they do as well as seeing some iconic memorobilia . Its not all take .

The armbands , beer stuff caught them on the hop but in the end the government of the host country has the last word .

The Kafala system of employment which permits the human rights abuses of immigrant workers was introduced by Colonial Britain . I heard this from David Conn in an interview , I had no idea . Since the light of the World cup was shone on them the Qataris have abolished them .
They should never have got it , but from a football and commercial perspective it was a success .
I am very proud of the boys ,one now back in W12 and one in Zurich , they will both be at the Luton game .
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024