Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Daily Echo B•••ocks 08:17 - Oct 16 with 1994 viewsBerber

“ The club missed out on the signings of Cody Gakpo, Goncalo Ramos and Nicolas Jackson to name a few who have gone on to make high-profile moves.

With Joel Piroe not considered a serious option – likely due to finances without the sale of Che Adams – Saints settled on Ross Stewart to bolster the ranks.”

Does Alfie House recollect that we realised over a Hundred million pounds in player sales over the summer?
Daily Echo B•••ocks on 08:42 - Oct 16 with 1936 viewsPatfromPoole

Not quite up there with the time Rupert Lowe binned off Didier Drogba……

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Daily Echo B•••ocks on 08:51 - Oct 16 with 1925 viewsRon11

It now seems to be a well established notion that Piroe did not not want to work with Martin again because of his style of 'football'.
Daily Echo B•••ocks on 09:28 - Oct 16 with 1893 viewssaints__fan__73

"Does Alfie House recollect that we realised over a Hundred million pounds in player sales over the summer?"

Do you not recollect that we were relegated after a net spend of £160m and now reside in a league where revenue is 80% less than the PL.

The player sale fees were to pay the bills of last season. Nothing more.

Look at the average transfer spend of Championship clubs. The likes of Blackburn and Preston spent a total of around £2m in the Summer.

"Playing Devil's Advocate since 15th January 2014"
Poll: Have the events of the Summer made Nick feel closer to LFC?

Daily Echo B•••ocks on 21:07 - Oct 16 with 1601 viewsBerber

Daily Echo B•••ocks on 09:28 - Oct 16 by saints__fan__73

"Does Alfie House recollect that we realised over a Hundred million pounds in player sales over the summer?"

Do you not recollect that we were relegated after a net spend of £160m and now reside in a league where revenue is 80% less than the PL.

The player sale fees were to pay the bills of last season. Nothing more.

Look at the average transfer spend of Championship clubs. The likes of Blackburn and Preston spent a total of around £2m in the Summer.

Of course I do, Like I am aware we got a sub standard LB for free. Like I am aware of the money they have spaffed up the wall on sacking managers. We did not buy any proven quality players in the summer and got rid of a load at the same time. Most of what they spent was on academy players. They have gone downmarket at every turn.
Daily Echo B•••ocks on 09:51 - Oct 17 with 1387 viewsfranniesTache

Daily Echo B•••ocks on 21:07 - Oct 16 by Berber

Of course I do, Like I am aware we got a sub standard LB for free. Like I am aware of the money they have spaffed up the wall on sacking managers. We did not buy any proven quality players in the summer and got rid of a load at the same time. Most of what they spent was on academy players. They have gone downmarket at every turn.

the £80m debt that has to either be refinanced or paid back by the end of this calendar year probably had a pretty big effect on the signings too.

Of course if we're to believe our glorious trowbridge toff that couldn't possibly be true and we're made of money.

So you could listen to him if you want the Pravda version, or just accept the club aren't anywhere near as financially stable as the marketing wants you to think
Daily Echo B•••ocks on 10:54 - Oct 17 with 1354 viewssaints__fan__73

Daily Echo B•••ocks on 09:51 - Oct 17 by franniesTache

the £80m debt that has to either be refinanced or paid back by the end of this calendar year probably had a pretty big effect on the signings too.

Of course if we're to believe our glorious trowbridge toff that couldn't possibly be true and we're made of money.

So you could listen to him if you want the Pravda version, or just accept the club aren't anywhere near as financially stable as the marketing wants you to think

I think without the Lavia cash we would have been close to admin this season.

Daily Echo B•••ocks on 16:00 - Oct 18 with 1099 viewsSaintNick

Daily Echo B•••ocks on 10:54 - Oct 17 by saints__fan__73

I think without the Lavia cash we would have been close to admin this season.

Nowhere near administration, truth is that the club did get it right with buying players, in essence they funded sovency with some astute player acquisitions, the issue last season was changing the managers not the players bought.

All of this stuff about how bad Ryan Manning is, how clueless Russell Martin is etc etc, is now getting a bit boring and changes absolutely nothing.

Perhaps it is time to wait and see how things develop, football can change a hell of a lot in the space of 5 games, at the moment our season and SR & RM are being judges solely on the 4 game losing run and nothing else.

We knew this was going to be tough given the revamp in the squad needed and the loss of our best players, so lets give them some leeway and some time, seasons are about 46 games not just 4, this is not defending the club or Russell Martin its about giving people time, football is littered with managers who have been given a bit of time and have then come good.

In 2010/11 after 9 games we had just 9 points . 2 games later and we had 15, Nigel Adkins got his feet under the table and off we went.

The following season we went up again, but people forget that after a good start in 2011/12 we faltered at the end of September winning just 2 of the next 6, December was woeful just 1 win in 6 games and then this continued so that by the start of Feb, our last 12 Championship games had yielded just 3 wins, 4 draws and 5 defeats, in that 2 month period we had taken just 13 points from 12 games.

Does anyone remember this ? I can't remember Nigel Adkins getting vitriolic abuse, people calling him clueless etc, yet this run is far worse than Russell Martin's 17 points from just 11 points is enough for him to be crucified by a section of our support.

Again the point is clear, give managers a chance

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Daily Echo B•••ocks on 16:16 - Oct 18 with 1093 viewssaints__fan__73

Daily Echo B•••ocks on 16:00 - Oct 18 by SaintNick

Nowhere near administration, truth is that the club did get it right with buying players, in essence they funded sovency with some astute player acquisitions, the issue last season was changing the managers not the players bought.

All of this stuff about how bad Ryan Manning is, how clueless Russell Martin is etc etc, is now getting a bit boring and changes absolutely nothing.

Perhaps it is time to wait and see how things develop, football can change a hell of a lot in the space of 5 games, at the moment our season and SR & RM are being judges solely on the 4 game losing run and nothing else.

We knew this was going to be tough given the revamp in the squad needed and the loss of our best players, so lets give them some leeway and some time, seasons are about 46 games not just 4, this is not defending the club or Russell Martin its about giving people time, football is littered with managers who have been given a bit of time and have then come good.

In 2010/11 after 9 games we had just 9 points . 2 games later and we had 15, Nigel Adkins got his feet under the table and off we went.

The following season we went up again, but people forget that after a good start in 2011/12 we faltered at the end of September winning just 2 of the next 6, December was woeful just 1 win in 6 games and then this continued so that by the start of Feb, our last 12 Championship games had yielded just 3 wins, 4 draws and 5 defeats, in that 2 month period we had taken just 13 points from 12 games.

Does anyone remember this ? I can't remember Nigel Adkins getting vitriolic abuse, people calling him clueless etc, yet this run is far worse than Russell Martin's 17 points from just 11 points is enough for him to be crucified by a section of our support.

I wonder if you just say things to get clicks now Nick. Or if you are truly addled.

It's amazing how you can state that the club WAS close to administration when it was still posting annual profits at companies house but is nowhere near after having a net spend of £160m to get relegated.

In the words of our own CEO, Player trading was integral to balancing the books and the £53 million fee received from the sale of Romeo Lavia to Chelsea is considered “crucial”.

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/23818733.southampton-ceo-parsons-explains-keep

Got it right with players last season?!

Astute acquisitions???

Issue not the players????

Shite Paul £18m
Bazunu £12m
Mara £10m
ABK - £9m
Caleta Car £6m
Aribo £5m
Edozie £6m
Larios £5m
Orsic £4m
Bree 500k

But this is getting it right? (astutely?)

You seem to be a different person than the one who could write article after article about Forren despite him being one of the few transfers of the time which didn't work out.

Oh how times have changed!
[Post edited 18 Oct 2023 16:41]

Login to get fewer ads

Daily Echo B•••ocks on 16:32 - Oct 18 with 1089 viewsRon11

Nigel Adkins didn't get abuse because the man had just got Saints successive promotions, he wasn't pushing football that doesn't work and he wasn't an arrogant dick.
Loss of our best players? There four of note- Ward Prowse, Salisu, Livramento (injury prone) Lavia (unfit and sulky) and also Perraud and Tella. Charles (even when played out of position looks good) Downes, Fraser, Harwood -Bellis and the yet untried Stewart have come in. Along with Alcaraz, Sulemana,Walker - Peters, S. Armstrong, Smallbone, Edozie, Ameyaw, Larios (who won't get a look in because he wants his mate Manning in there) we have one of the strongest sides in the Championship.
And yet in the second half against Rotherham he resorts back the pitiful sideways back nonsense and we lose two points.
And then he blames the players.
Sorry, no. For me he can fu ck off.
Daily Echo B•••ocks on 20:08 - Oct 18 with 1034 viewssaint22

whatever your agenda Manning is not very good so whilst he wears the shirt he will get grief, plus we had an extremely adequate and capable LB we let go

RM still has a LOT to prove so lets see shall we
Daily Echo B•••ocks on 21:33 - Oct 18 with 1005 viewsSaintNick

Daily Echo B•••ocks on 16:32 - Oct 18 by Ron11

Nigel Adkins didn't get abuse because the man had just got Saints successive promotions, he wasn't pushing football that doesn't work and he wasn't an arrogant dick.
Loss of our best players? There four of note- Ward Prowse, Salisu, Livramento (injury prone) Lavia (unfit and sulky) and also Perraud and Tella. Charles (even when played out of position looks good) Downes, Fraser, Harwood -Bellis and the yet untried Stewart have come in. Along with Alcaraz, Sulemana,Walker - Peters, S. Armstrong, Smallbone, Edozie, Ameyaw, Larios (who won't get a look in because he wants his mate Manning in there) we have one of the strongest sides in the Championship.
And yet in the second half against Rotherham he resorts back the pitiful sideways back nonsense and we lose two points.
And then he blames the players.
Sorry, no. For me he can fu ck off.

In the period that I mention, he had not just got several promotions, he had achieved one, in his second season as i pointed out he had a mid season period worse than the one that Martin had, why is Martin an arrogant dick ?

Loss of players add Bella-Kotchap , so thats 7, that according to most are better than what we have, not the managers fault, none turned down the offers that they had and left of their own accord.

I agree with you, we are one of the strongest squads in the Championship, but we are also the most revamped sides, it was always going to take time to adjust, to be 1 point off the play offs after the turmoil we have is not too bad a position.

The pitiful sideways back nonsense did not cost us the point, we were playing a team that had 10 men behind the ball at all times, yet we still created chances, some were well saved, others not as well taken by us as they should be.

The blunt truth here is that he is not going to F*** off, so if you or anyone feel that way there is either two choices, you either accept that he is here and get behind the team and support them, or you don't bother going anymore.

Again I am not sticking up for Martin here, I'm just being realistic, this is the situation.

My only real point as I have tried to point out is that he should be given a chance and not judged and condemned after only a dozen games

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Daily Echo B•••ocks on 11:33 - Oct 19 with 890 viewsButty101

Daily Echo B•••ocks on 21:33 - Oct 18 by SaintNick

In the period that I mention, he had not just got several promotions, he had achieved one, in his second season as i pointed out he had a mid season period worse than the one that Martin had, why is Martin an arrogant dick ?

Loss of players add Bella-Kotchap , so thats 7, that according to most are better than what we have, not the managers fault, none turned down the offers that they had and left of their own accord.

I agree with you, we are one of the strongest squads in the Championship, but we are also the most revamped sides, it was always going to take time to adjust, to be 1 point off the play offs after the turmoil we have is not too bad a position.

The pitiful sideways back nonsense did not cost us the point, we were playing a team that had 10 men behind the ball at all times, yet we still created chances, some were well saved, others not as well taken by us as they should be.

The blunt truth here is that he is not going to F*** off, so if you or anyone feel that way there is either two choices, you either accept that he is here and get behind the team and support them, or you don't bother going anymore.

Again I am not sticking up for Martin here, I'm just being realistic, this is the situation.

My only real point as I have tried to point out is that he should be given a chance and not judged and condemned after only a dozen games

A dozen games was enough to know Nathan was shite, or Ralphs under study was shite. Its enough to know this man is a fraud

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Daily Echo B•••ocks on 13:15 - Oct 19 with 865 views1ASIN12

Daily Echo B•••ocks on 21:33 - Oct 18 by SaintNick

So if in your opinion we have “one of the strongest squad's in the championship “ where do you think we should finish ?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024