Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Goals against Man United 18:41 - Oct 19 with 1298 viewsgrumpy

that would have made so much difference disallowed. .

Neil Shipperley 6th round FA CUP

Manolo Gabbiadini EFL Cup Final

Neils should have stood,not sure about Manolo's

This one hurt as well

[Post edited 19 Oct 2023 18:50]
Goals against Man United on 21:02 - Oct 19 with 1205 viewssaintmark1976

The three clips identify everything that has been wrong with English football for years. The standard of refereeing has been and still is absolutely appalling whilst being heavily biased toward the big clubs.

I was behind the goal when Shipperley’s goal was disallowed and not one Utd player initially appealed to the referee.

Gabbiadini was not offside and again little reaction from the Utd players.

Keegan’s goal was disallowed for Armstrong being offside whilst every man and his dog could see that he was not interfering. The Utd players only approached the linesman after the referee failed to give the goal immediately.

It’s not for no reason that British referees are very few and far between at major international tournaments. Most of them are simply not fit for purpose even with the aid of V A R.
Goals against Man United on 21:36 - Oct 19 with 1170 viewsgreen

I’d forgotten how bad that decision was to rule out the Shipperley goal, it brought some angry memories back although I’m not so sure we would have held out for the second half.
Goals against Man United on 22:15 - Oct 19 with 1137 viewsgrumpy

I remember watching the Shipperley goal at a Cinema in town(if my memory serves me right) the whole place roared and then sighed when disallowed.
Goals against Man United on 22:58 - Oct 19 with 1117 viewsSFC_Referee

Goals against Man United on 21:02 - Oct 19 by saintmark1976

The three clips identify everything that has been wrong with English football for years. The standard of refereeing has been and still is absolutely appalling whilst being heavily biased toward the big clubs.

I was behind the goal when Shipperley’s goal was disallowed and not one Utd player initially appealed to the referee.

Keegan’s goal was disallowed for Armstrong being offside whilst every man and his dog could see that he was not interfering. The Utd players only approached the linesman after the referee failed to give the goal immediately.

It’s not for no reason that British referees are very few and far between at major international tournaments. Most of them are simply not fit for purpose even with the aid of V A R.

Yeah as it’s not like English refs did all the biggest games they were allowed to last season and had just as many English refs at any major tournaments as any other nation…
As you have your opinions on the standards of refereeing and whether or not it’s good enough for you, which is fair enough, but the standards no different across the 5 major leagues, and that’s exactly why they all say the exact same about their refs over in Spain, Italy, France and Germany. Which is exactly why it’s usually pretty evenly spread out between those 5 nations as to who does what in the refereeing world. So there’s no point going on about it being any different abroad, as you see enough people complaining about the refs to champions league or euro qualifiers these days as well as prem ones
[Post edited 19 Oct 2023 23:11]

Poll: Should Russel Martins be sacked if we don’t win playoffs

Goals against Man United on 23:00 - Oct 19 with 1114 viewsWints76

A United fan apologised to me after that disallowed Shipperley goal on the forecourt after the game. Crazy decision.

The Gabbiadini one was a straight forward error. Think the lino just got the wrong player. VAR would allow it now (though I still don't want VAR)

I think the Keegan was was rightly disallowed according to the laws at the time, but some of you even older lot may have more knowledge
Goals against Man United on 23:07 - Oct 19 with 1110 viewsSFC_Referee

Goals against Man United on 23:00 - Oct 19 by Wints76

A United fan apologised to me after that disallowed Shipperley goal on the forecourt after the game. Crazy decision.

The Gabbiadini one was a straight forward error. Think the lino just got the wrong player. VAR would allow it now (though I still don't want VAR)

I think the Keegan was was rightly disallowed according to the laws at the time, but some of you even older lot may have more knowledge

Yeah I think you’ve summed it up well there, as the first one just doesn’t make sense whatsoever and I don’t think anyone can understand that one, although the 3rd one probably was right for how the LOTG were at the time.
And the EFL cup final certainly was an annoying one (even more so when you think that it was the last final that didn’t have VAR in it!), although you can clearly see why the lino’s made the mistake so there’s no point going on about corruption for that one, although I’ve always wondered how the final would’ve gone if Gabs goal wouldn’t of been ruled out. As I still remember chatting to the Man U fans outside Wembley afterwards that all said we deserved to win that game, not only for how we played on the day but also how well we’d done to make the final

Goals against Man United on 23:12 - Oct 19 with 1105 viewsSaintNick

Goals against Man United on 21:02 - Oct 19 by saintmark1976

Back in 1980, not interfering with play basically meant that you were going back towards your own goal to get back onside, if you were in an offside position and facing the opposition, even if you were on the far side of the pitch you were offside.

Perhaps that is fair. after all a defender still plays an attacker onside even if he is on the far side and not interfering with play.

The game was a lot simpler then

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Goals against Man United on 23:48 - Oct 19 with 1074 viewssaintmark1976

Goals against Man United on 22:58 - Oct 19 by SFC_Referee

Yeah as it’s not like English refs did all the biggest games they were allowed to last season and had just as many English refs at any major tournaments as any other nation…
As you have your opinions on the standards of refereeing and whether or not it’s good enough for you, which is fair enough, but the standards no different across the 5 major leagues, and that’s exactly why they all say the exact same about their refs over in Spain, Italy, France and Germany. Which is exactly why it’s usually pretty evenly spread out between those 5 nations as to who does what in the refereeing world. So there’s no point going on about it being any different abroad, as you see enough people complaining about the refs to champions league or euro qualifiers these days as well as prem ones
[Post edited 19 Oct 2023 23:11]

My opinion of referees in England remains as strong as ever SFC Referee, despite your very laudable efforts to support them.

I’m genuinely interested in your comment “ English refs did all the biggest games they were allowed to last season “. Out of interest, who decided what games they could or couldn’t officiate ?

How many World or European Cup finals have been refereed by English officials recently? Not many I would wager.

Domestically as an example of not fit for purpose. Witness the most recent disallowed goal ( if memory serves me correctly for Liverpool ) when even with an on the pitch ref and two linesmen together with two studio refs and V A R they still managed to achieve the almost impossible and reached the wrong conclusion.
Login to get fewer ads

Goals against Man United on 00:38 - Oct 20 with 1062 viewsSFC_Referee

Goals against Man United on 23:48 - Oct 19 by saintmark1976

My opinion of referees in England remains as strong as ever SFC Referee, despite your very laudable efforts to support them.

I’m genuinely interested in your comment “ English refs did all the biggest games they were allowed to last season “. Out of interest, who decided what games they could or couldn’t officiate ?

How many World or European Cup finals have been refereed by English officials recently? Not many I would wager.

Domestically as an example of not fit for purpose. Witness the most recent disallowed goal ( if memory serves me correctly for Liverpool ) when even with an on the pitch ref and two linesmen together with two studio refs and V A R they still managed to achieve the almost impossible and reached the wrong conclusion.

Well it’s not really a laughable effort to support them, but rather just understanding what’s it’s like to do their job and knowing all the factors that have lead to how the officiating world is today.

And for your question, the PGMOL decided all the English cup finals (EFL cup/trophy, fa cup, community shield etc…) and major games for the prem, whilst both FIFA and UEFA have their own boards that decide who do the World Cup and Euro’s as well as the European cups and such.
As last season for example, no English ref could officiate the finals to the champions league or ECL (as there was English teams involved) yet the Europa league they could, which is why there was an English ref (Anthony Taylor) doing it. And World Cup wise, well Webb did the final to 2010, and seeing how it was only 2014 that an English ref could’ve also done the final to it, I don’t think England’s got that bad of a record whatsoever for recent world cups. Which is also shown by the overall totals as shown by this link…
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_World_Cup_referees
And for euros, well of course no English ref could do the last one, but an English ref could do the 2016 one, which Clattenburg did do, with only Italy having more refs doing the finals than English refs have.
And for champions league, well again not many have been able to do recent finals due to how well the English teams have done in them, but the last time was in 2016, which again isn’t that bad seeing how there’s only been 2 occasions since in which they were even allowed to do the finals. And for overall totals there’s been 3 doing the finals since the champions league started, with again only Italy having more refs doing the finals, whilst every year since it started England being one of only 3 nations (Italy, Germany and England) to always have the max allocation to champions league games.

So all of which certainly suggests that they’ve not exactly been that bad, with Italy being clearly the best but Germany/England close for second, which certainly isn’t anywhere near as bad as you or certain others have made them out to be.

And yeah this VAR mess up with Liverpool was a poor one, but that was rather down to communication than not knowing the LOTG/game, and even then I’ve seen pretty similar incidents in Serie A, LaLiga and even a Dortmund game I was at a few months ago, where there’s been mess ups just as bad. But of course as we’re in England we don’t hear about those anywhere near as much, whilst over there they wouldn’t hear about the prem ones as much as their leagues, but they’d still hear about it more than we’d hear if there leagues because of how big the prem is.
But again as someone who’s seen many games from the other 4 major leagues and have spoken to many fans and even refs from those nations, I can say for a fact that they all think just the same about their officials as you seem to think around the English ones, which kinda makes me laugh seeing how they’re the best we’ve got currently and the fact that so very few are happy with it is pretty ironic when you look at the whole picture.

Goals against Man United on 10:02 - Oct 20 with 955 viewssaintmark1976

Goals against Man United on 00:38 - Oct 20 by SFC_Referee

Well it’s not really a laughable effort to support them, but rather just understanding what’s it’s like to do their job and knowing all the factors that have lead to how the officiating world is today.

And for your question, the PGMOL decided all the English cup finals (EFL cup/trophy, fa cup, community shield etc…) and major games for the prem, whilst both FIFA and UEFA have their own boards that decide who do the World Cup and Euro’s as well as the European cups and such.
As last season for example, no English ref could officiate the finals to the champions league or ECL (as there was English teams involved) yet the Europa league they could, which is why there was an English ref (Anthony Taylor) doing it. And World Cup wise, well Webb did the final to 2010, and seeing how it was only 2014 that an English ref could’ve also done the final to it, I don’t think England’s got that bad of a record whatsoever for recent world cups. Which is also shown by the overall totals as shown by this link…
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_World_Cup_referees
And for euros, well of course no English ref could do the last one, but an English ref could do the 2016 one, which Clattenburg did do, with only Italy having more refs doing the finals than English refs have.
And for champions league, well again not many have been able to do recent finals due to how well the English teams have done in them, but the last time was in 2016, which again isn’t that bad seeing how there’s only been 2 occasions since in which they were even allowed to do the finals. And for overall totals there’s been 3 doing the finals since the champions league started, with again only Italy having more refs doing the finals, whilst every year since it started England being one of only 3 nations (Italy, Germany and England) to always have the max allocation to champions league games.

So all of which certainly suggests that they’ve not exactly been that bad, with Italy being clearly the best but Germany/England close for second, which certainly isn’t anywhere near as bad as you or certain others have made them out to be.

And yeah this VAR mess up with Liverpool was a poor one, but that was rather down to communication than not knowing the LOTG/game, and even then I’ve seen pretty similar incidents in Serie A, LaLiga and even a Dortmund game I was at a few months ago, where there’s been mess ups just as bad. But of course as we’re in England we don’t hear about those anywhere near as much, whilst over there they wouldn’t hear about the prem ones as much as their leagues, but they’d still hear about it more than we’d hear if there leagues because of how big the prem is.
But again as someone who’s seen many games from the other 4 major leagues and have spoken to many fans and even refs from those nations, I can say for a fact that they all think just the same about their officials as you seem to think around the English ones, which kinda makes me laugh seeing how they’re the best we’ve got currently and the fact that so very few are happy with it is pretty ironic when you look at the whole picture.

Thanks for taking the time and effort to reply SFC Referee. If nothing else I’m a little wiser as to how referees are appointed.

However, my opinion remains that so called professional English referees are generally not fit for purpose even with V A R assistance.

Incidentally, I didn’t suggest that your efforts in support of your colleagues were laughable, I said they were laudable.

If you are officiating this coming weekend I wish you well and for the future also.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024