Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
"Improve the Atmosphere" meeting at SMS tonight 10:43 - Nov 23 with 4470 viewsPatfromPoole

Is anybody on here going?

I suspect my suggestions of all fans being searched on entry and being forced to hand in the following in exchange for a double shot of very strong alcohol:-

- mobile phones
- flasks
- packs of sandwiches

may not have gone down too well.

Looking forward to hearing the output from the meeting.

Maybe they will suggest music to celebrate the awarding of corners, free-kicks etc.

I would perhaps approve more of something to celebrate shithouse fouls, like Holgate's superb foul against West Brom.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

"Improve the Atmosphere" meeting at SMS tonight on 11:12 - Nov 23 with 3221 viewssaintwizzler

The atmosphere has improved as we are winning more games than we lose at home now.

WE WARMLY APPLAUD ON

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

"Improve the Atmosphere" meeting at SMS tonight on 11:28 - Nov 23 with 3204 viewsPatfromPoole

"Improve the Atmosphere" meeting at SMS tonight on 11:12 - Nov 23 by saintwizzler

The atmosphere has improved as we are winning more games than we lose at home now.

WE WARMLY APPLAUD ON

You're a sucker for a bit of Zombie Nation, Wiz.

"Improve the Atmosphere" meeting at SMS tonight on 11:41 - Nov 23 with 3191 viewsgrumpy

Chaple End Ultras
"Improve the Atmosphere" meeting at SMS tonight on 11:55 - Nov 23 with 3163 viewsNumber_58

The atmosphere will improve once the vast majority of fans stop sitting there like zombies and start making some noise. It amazes me how many people seem to be so devoid of even a modicum of emotion at our home games. No amount of world class light shows, massive flags and tifo displays will cure that problem. Perhaps giving everyone a couple of free drinks pre-kick off might loosen them up a bit.
"Improve the Atmosphere" meeting at SMS tonight on 11:55 - Nov 23 with 3163 viewssaintwizzler

"Improve the Atmosphere" meeting at SMS tonight on 11:28 - Nov 23 by PatfromPoole

You're a sucker for a bit of Zombie Nation, Wiz.

They can play ‘You’ll never walk alone’ for all I care as long as we’ve scored a goal.

WE FERRY CROSS THE ITCHEN LA ON

"Improve the Atmosphere" meeting at SMS tonight on 12:26 - Nov 23 with 3136 viewsfranniesTache

The idea that a meeting with the club will improve atmosphere is so f*cking dopey, if they want to improve the atmosphere then it's pretty simple

1. win more games
2. win more games
3. win more games
4. make tickets cheaper
5. make a block non allocated walk up only
6 win more games
"Improve the Atmosphere" meeting at SMS tonight on 12:51 - Nov 23 with 3111 viewsSaintNick

"Improve the Atmosphere" meeting at SMS tonight on 12:26 - Nov 23 by franniesTache

The idea that a meeting with the club will improve atmosphere is so f*cking dopey, if they want to improve the atmosphere then it's pretty simple

1. win more games
2. win more games
3. win more games
4. make tickets cheaper
5. make a block non allocated walk up only
6 win more games

Whilst you do have a point about winning games being a major driver the truth is that the fans with the best atmospheres are the ones that get organised, Crystal Palace went from having zero atmosphere to suddenly the whole ground getting behind the team, driven by their ultras.

Pompey havent been any good for 60 years apart from a few seasons 15 years ago but are the best fans in the World now, joking aside their atmosphere was started by Westwood with his bell being a focal point, anyone who went there in 1987 for our game will tell you there were 10,000 empty places in the ground and a crap atmosphere.

The Chapel End lads should be encouraged instead of ridiculed for doing something, if more joined them the atmosphere would pick up and be a bit more than the Northam End singing the greatest hits of the Premier League and the Itchen singing abuse at the away fans

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

"Improve the Atmosphere" meeting at SMS tonight on 13:08 - Nov 23 with 3093 viewsfranniesTache

"Improve the Atmosphere" meeting at SMS tonight on 12:51 - Nov 23 by SaintNick

Whilst you do have a point about winning games being a major driver the truth is that the fans with the best atmospheres are the ones that get organised, Crystal Palace went from having zero atmosphere to suddenly the whole ground getting behind the team, driven by their ultras.

Pompey havent been any good for 60 years apart from a few seasons 15 years ago but are the best fans in the World now, joking aside their atmosphere was started by Westwood with his bell being a focal point, anyone who went there in 1987 for our game will tell you there were 10,000 empty places in the ground and a crap atmosphere.

The Chapel End lads should be encouraged instead of ridiculed for doing something, if more joined them the atmosphere would pick up and be a bit more than the Northam End singing the greatest hits of the Premier League and the Itchen singing abuse at the away fans

I wouldn't ridicule the Chapel lot for trying, fair play to them and they're doing a good thing.

I would ridicule them if they started dressing all in black and waving noncey flags like the fancy dress lot from croydon do.

As for the Itchen North, it's funny you say about that stand only singing abuse at away fans, that's exactly the opposite of what it was pre-covid, but all the mouth breathing, dark fruit drinking, inbetweeners noodies from the Northam moved over en masse and ruined it.

Shame really, as for a season or two it was class, but now it's just the Northam-lite
Login to get fewer ads

"Improve the Atmosphere" meeting at SMS tonight on 14:00 - Nov 23 with 3057 viewsPaleRider

I think we could learn something from German clubs. There is safe standing and the singing fans seem to be both better organised and accepted by the clubs as an integral part of the matchday experience.

Part of the problem in England is that clubs want atmosphere but not the fans that create it as it will drive away Tarquin, Lucinda and the sprogs who turn out once a year, buy over-priced tat and sit on their hands during the match.
"Improve the Atmosphere" meeting at SMS tonight on 14:27 - Nov 23 with 3040 viewsfranniesTache

"Improve the Atmosphere" meeting at SMS tonight on 14:00 - Nov 23 by PaleRider

I think we could learn something from German clubs. There is safe standing and the singing fans seem to be both better organised and accepted by the clubs as an integral part of the matchday experience.

Part of the problem in England is that clubs want atmosphere but not the fans that create it as it will drive away Tarquin, Lucinda and the sprogs who turn out once a year, buy over-priced tat and sit on their hands during the match.

Yup completely, doesn't help either that people will travel past their local club to "support" a team in a city they have no connection with because they're in a higher league and are on tv more.

How can you really expect people to be passionate about a place they're not from?

I've genuinely never understood people from Wiltshire say singing about "hating" pompey, it's just pantomime to them.
"Improve the Atmosphere" meeting at SMS tonight on 15:33 - Nov 23 with 2984 viewsBuggalugs

"Improve the Atmosphere" meeting at SMS tonight on 12:51 - Nov 23 by SaintNick

The atmosphere at Pompey games is hideous. Yes they have long periods of continual noise, but it's repetitive ner ner ner ner ner bollox, with a fvcking bell being rung throughout. Why the fvck would we want to aspire to be like that?

Likewise the gimps at Palace; dressed in black with their megaphones and tifo's. No thanks. I'd take the moaning and groaning at an understated St Mary's over both those any day.

Poll: How do YOU define a racist?

"Improve the Atmosphere" meeting at SMS tonight on 16:00 - Nov 23 with 2965 viewsfranniesTache

"Improve the Atmosphere" meeting at SMS tonight on 15:33 - Nov 23 by Buggalugs

The atmosphere at Pompey games is hideous. Yes they have long periods of continual noise, but it's repetitive ner ner ner ner ner bollox, with a fvcking bell being rung throughout. Why the fvck would we want to aspire to be like that?

Likewise the gimps at Palace; dressed in black with their megaphones and tifo's. No thanks. I'd take the moaning and groaning at an understated St Mary's over both those any day.

Also can you imagine how shit any "ultras" saints had would be? Our gimps copy every single song sung by everyone else, they'd probably do the same with finger paint banners too.

We have enough ways for our support to embarrass ourselves without that crap
"Improve the Atmosphere" meeting at SMS tonight on 17:01 - Nov 23 with 2927 viewsgrumpy

The Atmosphere can be better if

1. We had been given the whole of the Northam End when we moved there.
2. Since we have been at St. Marys most of our time in the Premiership its been a struggle to win home games.
3.Seats and the cost of games now means we have a more middle class fan than when there was a working class one.

I applaud the guys at the Chapel End because I can see that being our only option to finding a home end.
"Improve the Atmosphere" meeting at SMS tonight on 17:51 - Nov 23 with 2876 viewssaint901

I think that we could improve things by:

1. Having a home end. Sharing one end with the away fans is nonsense and the away fans should be along the sides. The argument is of course that tickets on the sides are more expensive and there are rules about how much an away fan can be charged, but we need our own end.

2. If you want passion on the terraces, give us passion on the pitch. I know the days of "ale house brawlers" are past and that the game has been sanitised but we could still play a brand of football that is exciting to watch. Do you want to see 800+ passes and 1-0 home win or 600 passes and perhaps a narrow 3-2 win or loss? I'm guessing many want the latter because it's exciting. RM doesn't know how to do that.

3. we need new songs. The one about Pompey is wrong in many ways, but it's just boring. We need to find a song and make it our own. Look at Stoke and Delilah.

4. Improve access to the ground. FFS put a train platform outside the ground and link it to Parkway and Central. For me the last 15 minutes is always spoilt by worrying about how long it will take me to drive out of the city.
"Improve the Atmosphere" meeting at SMS tonight on 18:17 - Nov 23 with 2861 viewsMytchettSaint

"Improve the Atmosphere" meeting at SMS tonight on 17:51 - Nov 23 by saint901

1. Having a home end. Sharing one end with the away fans is nonsense and the away fans should be along the sides. The argument is of course that tickets on the sides are more expensive and there are rules about how much an away fan can be charged, but we need our own end.

2. If you want passion on the terraces, give us passion on the pitch. I know the days of "ale house brawlers" are past and that the game has been sanitised but we could still play a brand of football that is exciting to watch. Do you want to see 800+ passes and 1-0 home win or 600 passes and perhaps a narrow 3-2 win or loss? I'm guessing many want the latter because it's exciting. RM doesn't know how to do that.

3. we need new songs. The one about Pompey is wrong in many ways, but it's just boring. We need to find a song and make it our own. Look at Stoke and Delilah.

4. Improve access to the ground. FFS put a train platform outside the ground and link it to Parkway and Central. For me the last 15 minutes is always spoilt by worrying about how long it will take me to drive out of the city.

The last 15 minutes have usually been spoiled for me by the 75 minutes that preceded them the past few seasons.

Block 13; Curva Itchen Sud

"Improve the Atmosphere" meeting at SMS tonight on 18:21 - Nov 23 with 2856 viewsgrumpy

"Improve the Atmosphere" meeting at SMS tonight on 18:17 - Nov 23 by MytchettSaint

The last 15 minutes have usually been spoiled for me by the 75 minutes that preceded them the past few seasons.

The last few minutes this season have been kind to us.
"Improve the Atmosphere" meeting at SMS tonight on 18:42 - Nov 23 with 2841 viewsMytchettSaint

I started going in the 80’s. We’re never going to get back to what we had at the dell.

The over zealous policing and stewarding these days has unfortunately taken away any morsel of atmosphere as people have been conditioned to sit nicely and quietly or you’ll be banned. I seem to recall someone posting on here when we got the Millwall gimp in as fan oppressor that he’d told stewards to be robust in their enforcement of the rules. That tells you all you need to know about what the club think about the need for atmosphere.
I’d wager it wasn’t the club requested this meeting.

I went over to Italy a couple of weeks ago to watch some games. You have to have photo id that matches the name on your ticket to gain entry into the ground. They’ve obviously suffered from crowd disorder and have put that in as a measure to keep out banned fans but in general they tended to take a relaxed approach to people standing in seated areas and other little things that would have an empowered high viz goons here pouncing on you.

I don’t buy the narrative that it’s because it’s full of oldies now so no one sings. There were plenty of blokes in their 40’s 50’s etc round me joining in amongst the females and children in attendance.

Block 13; Curva Itchen Sud

"Improve the Atmosphere" meeting at SMS tonight on 18:52 - Nov 23 with 2823 viewsPatfromPoole

"Improve the Atmosphere" meeting at SMS tonight on 18:42 - Nov 23 by MytchettSaint

I started going in the 80’s. We’re never going to get back to what we had at the dell.

The over zealous policing and stewarding these days has unfortunately taken away any morsel of atmosphere as people have been conditioned to sit nicely and quietly or you’ll be banned. I seem to recall someone posting on here when we got the Millwall gimp in as fan oppressor that he’d told stewards to be robust in their enforcement of the rules. That tells you all you need to know about what the club think about the need for atmosphere.
I’d wager it wasn’t the club requested this meeting.

I went over to Italy a couple of weeks ago to watch some games. You have to have photo id that matches the name on your ticket to gain entry into the ground. They’ve obviously suffered from crowd disorder and have put that in as a measure to keep out banned fans but in general they tended to take a relaxed approach to people standing in seated areas and other little things that would have an empowered high viz goons here pouncing on you.

I don’t buy the narrative that it’s because it’s full of oldies now so no one sings. There were plenty of blokes in their 40’s 50’s etc round me joining in amongst the females and children in attendance.

I think we get a bit misty-eyed about the atmosphere at The Dell.

When I started going in the early 90’s, it was pretty dead, obviously not helped by a lot of the football; but there were a lot of lads going and paying about £2 to get in.

The East Terrace was the only area with any decent sign of life until we were given the Archers with a roof on it. After that, it did transform the place.

"Improve the Atmosphere" meeting at SMS tonight on 19:01 - Nov 23 with 2810 viewssaintwizzler

What is the latest on the away fans being moved?

SaintsFC_Cop on Twitter and Saint_Rob need a meeting over a couple of non alcoholic Kingfishers to thrash it out.

THEY MOVE ON

"Improve the Atmosphere" meeting at SMS tonight on 19:18 - Nov 23 with 2787 viewsfranniesTache

"Improve the Atmosphere" meeting at SMS tonight on 17:51 - Nov 23 by saint901

At millwall away the other week other than oh when the saints every single song mentioned the skates. It was f*cking embarrassing.

Combine that with the fact that we just nick whatever Man City sung the week before and it’s no surprise people don’t join in.
"Improve the Atmosphere" meeting at SMS tonight on 19:40 - Nov 23 with 2771 viewsBuggalugs

The atmosphere is what is is because we have an unhealthy proportion of bellends in our support. The nippers coming through are proper clueless and think rocking up in a Stonie and regurgitating City/United or anti-Pompey songs is what it’s all about now. Also, we just don’t have the same passion or pride in our city that the Northerners have and we must have one of the highest proportion of well-to-do fans out of the entire 92.

If it doesn’t come naturally, I’m not really interested in any contrived pr bollox to try and improve things.

Poll: How do YOU define a racist?

"Improve the Atmosphere" meeting at SMS tonight on 20:06 - Nov 23 with 2741 viewsSouthSeaSaint

"Improve the Atmosphere" meeting at SMS tonight on 18:52 - Nov 23 by PatfromPoole

I think we get a bit misty-eyed about the atmosphere at The Dell.

When I started going in the early 90’s, it was pretty dead, obviously not helped by a lot of the football; but there were a lot of lads going and paying about £2 to get in.

The East Terrace was the only area with any decent sign of life until we were given the Archers with a roof on it. After that, it did transform the place.

Pat,
Spot on with this.
I am a long standing supporter going back to the 1950's and the atmosphere at The Dell was pretty flat compared to some of the away grounds I went to as a kid. The problem was we had uncovered ends for many years and when the Archers was covered and frequented by Saints fans the atmosphere improved.
There were attempts from groups of lads in the West Stand to compete with away fans but we have never had a consolidated, under cover, band of supporters.
Perhaps this can come to fruition as and when some sort of safe standing can be introduced.
"Improve the Atmosphere" meeting at SMS tonight on 20:25 - Nov 23 with 2723 viewsfranniesTache

"Improve the Atmosphere" meeting at SMS tonight on 19:40 - Nov 23 by Buggalugs

The atmosphere is what is is because we have an unhealthy proportion of bellends in our support. The nippers coming through are proper clueless and think rocking up in a Stonie and regurgitating City/United or anti-Pompey songs is what it’s all about now. Also, we just don’t have the same passion or pride in our city that the Northerners have and we must have one of the highest proportion of well-to-do fans out of the entire 92.

If it doesn’t come naturally, I’m not really interested in any contrived pr bollox to try and improve things.

Spot on with most of that, though our dark fruit drinking invetweeners arent that unique, most clubs have these back board lickers now thanks to social media.

Also it doesn’t help with the pride in the city that we have so many posh out of towners who’ve latched on to the club
"Improve the Atmosphere" meeting at SMS tonight on 20:53 - Nov 23 with 2680 viewsgrumpy

"Improve the Atmosphere" meeting at SMS tonight on 20:06 - Nov 23 by SouthSeaSaint

Pat,
Spot on with this.
I am a long standing supporter going back to the 1950's and the atmosphere at The Dell was pretty flat compared to some of the away grounds I went to as a kid. The problem was we had uncovered ends for many years and when the Archers was covered and frequented by Saints fans the atmosphere improved.
There were attempts from groups of lads in the West Stand to compete with away fans but we have never had a consolidated, under cover, band of supporters.
Perhaps this can come to fruition as and when some sort of safe standing can be introduced.

Yes! I can remember the Dell going back quite some way.
There were games when the atmosphere was flat and the terraces provided more entertainment.
But come games against big clubs the place filled and there was an unique atmosphere.
Night midweek games could be electric.
When they started to put seats in the mood changed as the ground was too small and the attendance was affected.The fencing on the Archers was mood changing as well.
Southampton in the60s/70s was a city with character and most knew each other when attending games.
You had the old Docks,Fords, Vospers and numerous others that turned up there
It was more working class.
Often you saw the same people at the Top Rank etc after the game.
The Dell was a family,I would like to see St. Marys embrace its fans like the Dell did,the loos were pretty bad tho.
"Improve the Atmosphere" meeting at SMS tonight on 21:37 - Nov 23 with 2641 viewsfelly1

"Improve the Atmosphere" meeting at SMS tonight on 20:53 - Nov 23 by grumpy

Yes! I can remember the Dell going back quite some way.
There were games when the atmosphere was flat and the terraces provided more entertainment.
But come games against big clubs the place filled and there was an unique atmosphere.
Night midweek games could be electric.
When they started to put seats in the mood changed as the ground was too small and the attendance was affected.The fencing on the Archers was mood changing as well.
Southampton in the60s/70s was a city with character and most knew each other when attending games.
You had the old Docks,Fords, Vospers and numerous others that turned up there
It was more working class.
Often you saw the same people at the Top Rank etc after the game.
The Dell was a family,I would like to see St. Marys embrace its fans like the Dell did,the loos were pretty bad tho.

Lots of rose tinted specs with regards to the Dell.
Brilliant memories of going there and some great noisy atmospheres but overall whether we like it or not we live in a largely rural, well to do part of the world.
We're not some bleak mining town in the post industrial north or a packed in over populated dump like Pompey.

Frannie tache likes having a pop at the young nippers but for me I was a young nipper in the Milton once upon a time singing daft bollox songs and thinking I was dead hard.. Nothing wrong with that apart from it's annoying to the old fellas.

If we keep improving as a team the crowd generally pick up the noise and stay with the players.
Years of terrible football and defeats numbed us all.
We're still getting over that trauma but we're not fully out of it yet.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024