Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Terry Venables 12:11 - Nov 26 with 2290 viewsgrumpy

RIP
Terry Venables (n/t) on 12:31 - Nov 26 with 2250 viewsfelly1

Terry Venables (n/t) on 12:31 - Nov 26 with 2250 viewsfelly1

Terry Venables (n/t) on 12:33 - Nov 26 with 2243 viewsfelly1

Terry Venables (n/t) on 12:31 - Nov 26 by felly1

Sad to hear, he knew how to get the best out of most players.
Shame he never gave Le Tiss a real chance.
Always remember the 96 Euros with him in charge.
Terry Venables on 12:34 - Nov 26 with 2243 viewsPatfromPoole

He seemed to get the best out of Gascoigne, both for club and country.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Terry Venables on 12:45 - Nov 26 with 2229 viewsSouthamptonfan

RIP. I remember Euro 96 like it was yesterday. Famous England manager, although how many clubs did he manage if any? Did he manage Spurs and Palace?

Poll: After Nick's revelation, would you welcome back Danny Ings?

Terry Venables on 13:02 - Nov 26 with 2207 viewsChesham_Saint

Didn’t he fvck the skates over with some of his transfers? A dodgy geezer, but charismatic…

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Terry Venables on 13:13 - Nov 26 with 2196 viewssaintwizzler

The summer of 96.
Euro 96, Oasis at Knebworth, busy pubs with affordable drinks, sunny days…
A great time to be alive.
El Tel played a part in that.
Thank you.

RIP.

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

Terry Venables on 13:24 - Nov 26 with 2183 viewsPatfromPoole

Terry Venables on 13:02 - Nov 26 by Chesham_Saint

Didn’t he fvck the skates over with some of his transfers? A dodgy geezer, but charismatic…

He mainly signed Australian players for them, it seemed the fact he was also manager of Australia at the time wasn’t wholly coincidental……

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Login to get fewer ads

Terry Venables on 13:54 - Nov 26 with 2154 viewsIfonly

A great manager and one that England should have held on to. The best England game I've ever been to was the 4-1 win against Holland. We were unlucky not to win that tournament.
Terry Venables on 14:27 - Nov 26 with 2134 viewsWints76

Yep, the mid to late 90s were the happiest I have known the country. Maybe it was the age I was then but everything did seem better and yeh, he played a part.

Incidentally Wiz, when we went in that pub after the game yesterday, it did strike me how busy it was (not just football fans). The jukebox was blaring out The Smiths and The Housemartins and it seemed like a pub from BITD
[Post edited 26 Nov 2023 14:59]
Terry Venables on 15:20 - Nov 26 with 2071 viewsBerber

Terry Venables on 13:13 - Nov 26 by saintwizzler

The summer of 96.
Thank you.

RIP.

One of that 96 squad said that there wasn’t a single player in the squad that did not learn something from him. He was great at lifting and improving an existing club squad, but struggled to maintain and improve from that new, higher level. His second year in a job was usually his best.
Terry Venables on 15:34 - Nov 26 with 2062 viewsChesham_Saint

Terry Venables on 13:13 - Nov 26 by saintwizzler

The summer of 96.
Thank you.

RIP.

You say that, but at the time I was thinking what a grade 1 cvnt he was for not selecting MLT - rumored to be on the basis that Le God had turned down Spurs and Tel was on for a slice of the action.

A very good manager at times, but dodgy as fvck off the field. Who remembers him having the dance floor of the Tottenham supporters club taken up and sent to his own private club (Scribes West) in West London? Another "strange" transfer from that era of managers.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

Terry Venables on 15:38 - Nov 26 with 2052 viewsTripleNiemi

Terry Venables on 15:34 - Nov 26 by Chesham_Saint

You say that, but at the time I was thinking what a grade 1 cvnt he was for not selecting MLT - rumored to be on the basis that Le God had turned down Spurs and Tel was on for a slice of the action.

A very good manager at times, but dodgy as fvck off the field. Who remembers him having the dance floor of the Tottenham supporters club taken up and sent to his own private club (Scribes West) in West London? Another "strange" transfer from that era of managers.

Was beginning to think it was just me……

Still, that said RIP

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

Terry Venables on 21:13 - Nov 26 with 1864 viewskernow

Everlasting memory for me was the pundit gathering during a World Cup in which England had just gallantly lost as usual. El Tel was the boss of Barcelona at the time. Des Lynam was the anchor, present were TV, Gary Lineker and Lawrie McMenemy.
Lineker was on Everton’s books and Des was trying to pimp out Lineker to sign for Barca and TV wasn’t discouraging him.
Lawrie spat his dummy and denounced Venables for being a shifty, cheeky crappy and read Lynam his fortune. Great telly but we never saw Lawrie on there again.
RIP Tel
Terry Venables on 06:56 - Nov 27 with 1700 viewssaintwizzler

Terry Venables on 14:27 - Nov 26 by Wints76

Yep, the mid to late 90s were the happiest I have known the country. Maybe it was the age I was then but everything did seem better and yeh, he played a part.

Incidentally Wiz, when we went in that pub after the game yesterday, it did strike me how busy it was (not just football fans). The jukebox was blaring out The Smiths and The Housemartins and it seemed like a pub from BITD
[Post edited 26 Nov 2023 14:59]

And they poured the drinks THEN asked for payment which is very important.

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024