Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Racial Abuse of players 13:48 - Jan 21 with 1544 viewsCity_boy

I have been watching with Interest how FIFA have responded to the issues at the Udinese / Milan game and Coventry/ Sheffield Wednesday,

I applaud Maignan's decision to walk off. However, the words from FIFA and Infantino today, are nothing we haven't heard before.

The points deduction proposal being muted, would deter some of these obscene chants, but it is proving the club was at fault. You can see those clubs with wealthy backers challenging it through courts.

I certainly hope they come up with something to deter it.

[Post edited 21 Jan 13:48]
Racial Abuse of players on 13:55 - Jan 21 with 1522 viewsSonicBoom

How on earth can football solve racism? These people are racist all week, not just at matches. You can fine the club or deduct points and those cretins will still be racist.
In fact some fans will actually use racism to get the game abandoned if they are losing.

I dont know what the answer is but hammering a club when they can't stop what some idiot shouts, seems useless.
Racial Abuse of players on 14:01 - Jan 21 with 1507 viewsSouthamptonfan

Racial Abuse of players on 13:55 - Jan 21 by SonicBoom

How on earth can football solve racism? These people are racist all week, not just at matches. You can fine the club or deduct points and those cretins will still be racist.
In fact some fans will actually use racism to get the game abandoned if they are losing.

I dont know what the answer is but hammering a club when they can't stop what some idiot shouts, seems useless.

Totally agree. They did and do, all the down on one knee campaigns, and we still have people being racist. They won't stop it unfortunately. And as abhorrent as it is, like a very naughty child, the more we say don't do it, the more the stupid idiots do it. Like you say, to get a game abandoned or for the attention. What can an individual club do apart from ban them? Clubs don't control the thoughts and actions of every individual fan!
[Post edited 21 Jan 14:05]

Poll: After Nick's revelation, would you welcome back Danny Ings?

Racial Abuse of players on 14:07 - Jan 21 with 1485 viewscocklebreath

If someone’s being overtly racist at a match it’s probably up to the normal fans around them to either tell him to shut it or get the stewards involved

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

Racial Abuse of players on 14:34 - Jan 21 with 1443 viewsIfonly

Tickets can be linked to people and CCTV is everywhere. These people can be identified and prosecuted. A few high profile prison sentences would go a long way to solving the problem. If clubs don't do all they can to identify the individuals, then that is one thing they should be punished for.
Racial Abuse of players on 17:05 - Jan 21 with 1298 viewsUTS1885

They simply have to be identified and dealt with but certainly no club or other fan punishment. You wont stop racism and incidents are seeminly a handful a season if that.
Racial Abuse of players on 20:07 - Jan 21 with 1195 viewsSFC_Referee

Completely agree, as unfortunately it’s not just at the top as it happens at all levels of the game. As unfortunately I’ve had a few games with racial/discriminatory language used against players, from U14 games to semi pro womens ones! As it’s just gonna be around football until it’s out of people day to day lives anyway.

And points deductions won’t work as you’d then get accusations and some fans doing it intentionally at rival teams, which is appalling and ridiculous to think that some would do that, but unfortunately there are people out there that would do it, and it would lead to all sorts of issues. And like you’ve said, why should the whole club and other fans have to pay for what a couple of c*nts in the crowd are saying

Poll: Should Russel Martins be sacked if we don’t win playoffs

Racial Abuse of players on 21:01 - Jan 21 with 1152 viewshedgeend61

Don't think points deductions will work or be fair.

Threat of closing ground for a game or two may do, should/could stop the likes of that goon at Sheff Wed yesterday.
Racial Abuse of players on 08:16 - Jan 22 with 1013 viewsBerber

So long as they keep identifying the culprits and banning them, that is all I expect them to do.It isn't perfect, it isn’t 100 percent, but it will reduce the number of these vile creatures at the games.
Login to get fewer ads

Racial Abuse of players on 08:37 - Jan 22 with 1003 viewssolent_toffee

Racial Abuse of players on 14:07 - Jan 21 by cocklebreath

If someone’s being overtly racist at a match it’s probably up to the normal fans around them to either tell him to shut it or get the stewards involved

Saints used to have the texting service, do they still have it?

To be fair, Saints were always ahead of the game when it came to challenging racism. I used to be on the Racism Just Aint Saintly board and they were years ahead of other clubs.

As others have said though, a racist will just condition themselves in the ground and it’s not down to football to sort out societies failings.

However in this day and age with CCTV and people having allocated seats it’s easier to identify them and ban them.
Racial Abuse of players on 14:06 - Jan 22 with 889 viewssaint901

It's not just racist behaviour here but also sexist and homophobic and pretty much any other discriminatory language etc.

My personal view is that football crowds reflect a certain strata of society that does not have some of the filters that many of us apply when in smaller groups. As such the ability to swear loudly, be part of a clan, be unreasonably partisan and generally a bit of an ar$e seems acceptable.

Most people however retain boundaries and will stop short of being whatever their definition of offensive is and certainly will not cross over into criminal actions.

Overall whilst we will all tolerate some offensive behaviour there are limits, even if at football matches those limits are wider than you would see in the supermarket (hopefully).

It's a also a fact that many will not call out offensive behaviour because of the threat of violence. It's a brave man/woman who challenges even a small group of (usually) men.

Football crowds are no different. If I were a steward on minimum wage for a job every two weeks, would I wade into a group of young, aggressive, perhaps drunk, perhaps armed men? No. So why do I expect others to.

By not joining in with the moronic abuse of players or other fans but also not trying to make them stop, am I allowing this to continue? Yes, probably.

What can i do about it? Very little.

Until society as a whole grows up and says that what we say at Sheffield is unacceptable I suspect none of the silent majority are going to shout down the morons.
Racial Abuse of players on 16:08 - Jan 22 with 843 viewskernow

Saints v Nottingham Forest, lower west stand at the Dell, years ago. Forest had a 19 year old full back named Viv Anderson playing for them.
He was subjected to racist abuse every time he was in possession by the ignorant mob. A Forest fan standing next to me shouted for them all to shut it. Brave man and very commendable. That memory stuck with this fan.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024