Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Football is sh1t mini rant 08:51 - Oct 20 with 4742 viewsMattnme

Following on from the dirty leeds and enjoying the prem threads I thought I'd start one about how sh1t football is.
Like many on this board I have been a QPR fan for more years than I care to remember. For the me though my love of the game has been dying for along time. I am still a season ticket holder but this doesn't stop me missing games when once I would 've almost risked getting sacked, divorced, excommunicated you name it. Now I miss games if something good is on the telly. Alright that last bits not quite true but I won't inconvenience myself like I once would've done. The fact I do still attend is down to living 100 miles and having a good excuse to see friends and family.
For me so much is wrong with the game, the list is endless and growing. From the importance and trivialisation of everything premier league to the unimportance of domestic cups. From teams playing to be 4th and others trying not to be 6th.
To be honest I don't know where this rant is going but I'm not a happy R and it's not because we arent getting results I've been through many sh1t times with the R's over the years.
I genuinely get more enjoyment out of other sports but like an addict I can't quite kick the habit. It's been said on here many times that could end up in financial ruin, a part me would almost welcome that.
Does anyone get where I'm coming from or have similar thoughts? I know i've put myself there to be shot at but serious responses only please.
Football is sh1t mini rant on 09:12 - Oct 20 with 3606 viewsSudbury_Hill_R

Yep, can see where you're coming from. Experienced same said thoughts in the 90's when I attended only a handful of games per season. But it's in the blood. Stick with it - supporting the R's is not like any other team - ups, mainly downs but you know that already. I wouldn't change a thing. It's my/our team and we're proud of that fact, aren't we?
Football is sh1t mini rant on 09:51 - Oct 20 with 3570 viewsSharpy

Feeling exactly the same with it all at the moment.Going to watch Maidstone play is giving me more pleasure at present, the buzz i`m getting from that far out ways anything Rangers and Premiership football has to offer.

Once you`ve had black, you never go back !

Football is sh1t mini rant on 10:11 - Oct 20 with 3538 viewsBrightonhoop

Sad times. I dont look out for any ther results, or even bother watching the progress of local Clubs like Albion. Where there was once a great game there is now just a void. Someone here recently mentioned the Promo winning side at Shef Weds with the likes of Cook, Rowlands, Furlong and Ainsworth to mention but a few and I felt a pang of nostalgia.
Not knocking this current side at all, nor Hughes, but Ainsworth ran on a broken leg for the R's ffs, and still came over at the end of game to shake hands with supporters. Perhaps we were spoilt and didn't realise it back then. I think also the Olympics and heroics of other sports people this summer has highlighte just how far football in general and footballers in particular have fallen. Roberts making his stand against the trite ethics of Kick it out for me is a glimmer of hope that the next generation can now do a better job, and the likes iof SAF should shut up for once, just once. That knut might as well be talking about gardening. He's a succesful Manager, it doesn't give him authority on how to tell black players on how to conduct themselves or which fights not to fight. I dont think my oppinion of Ferguson, and football generally, could be lower.
Football is sh1t mini rant on 10:26 - Oct 20 with 3513 viewsHollowayRanger

difference now is next to none of the players are OUR players just mercs here for the money and if religated will be gone in 30 seconds looking for another pay day

holloway era was my fav free transfers and Qpr fans that was a team win or lose that one felt cared now its groan ok so we lost ...........ok where shall we go shopping/clubbing/spending this week i honestly dont think the players care today

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

Football is sh1t mini rant on 10:29 - Oct 20 with 3506 viewsted_hendrix

Kick off can't come too soon for me tomorrow, can't wait too get to LR tbh.
Roll on next Saturday too and going to Finsbury Park station again.
It might be shit being bottom of the league but It's great when you start moving up It.
Have a nice day.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Football is sh1t mini rant on 10:33 - Oct 20 with 3501 viewsMrSheen

I went sour on football steadily over time, but my enthusiasm for Rangers only flagged in the Briatore years -as much from the increasingly poisonous atmosphere in the crowd as the confusion on the pitch. I was much happier being part of a united crowd lifting a limited but passionate player like Marcus Bignot, rather than having people shouting in my ear about what a useless c*nt Damiano Tommasi was because none of his team mates knew where he was going to pass. At the same time, I was coaching my son's rugby team, and began to contrast the attitude of players and fans in football with those in other sports. Football still outshines any game at its best for speed, excitement and individual skill, though Rugby League comes close for me. However, when one of the greatest players who has ever lived, Cristiano Ronaldo, also lets it be known about how disrepected he feels about not being paid £20m a year, I'd rather reserve my admiration for the likes of Paul Wood, who played half a cup final after losing a testicle, then joked about it afterwards.
Football is sh1t mini rant on 10:37 - Oct 20 with 3491 viewsTacticalR

I'm against players losing their testicles during matches.

Air hostess clique

Football is sh1t mini rant on 10:56 - Oct 20 with 3463 viewsHollowayRanger

Football is sh1t mini rant on 10:37 - Oct 20 by TacticalR

I'm against players losing their testicles during matches.

did anyone find it or is it still out there somewhere?

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

Login to get fewer ads

Football is sh1t mini rant on 11:05 - Oct 20 with 3447 viewshoopstilidie

Football is sh1t mini rant on 10:56 - Oct 20 by HollowayRanger

did anyone find it or is it still out there somewhere?

Knew it was only a matter of time before you were on here talking balls

Ringo Starr ate my hamper.
Poll: Yes or no?

Football is sh1t mini rant on 11:30 - Oct 20 with 3419 viewsRanger78

Sad to admit this but I have similar feelings.

I have been falling out of love with football for a few years, as you say there are just so many things wrong, the list is endless.

I am still a ST holder and dont see this changing but I concluded recently that I love QPR more than I love Football itself. I too get more enjoyment out of so many other sports.

The sadest part is that I would prefer my son to choose a different sport. He currently plays football and rugby but I hope he grows up choosing the latter.
Football is sh1t mini rant on 11:37 - Oct 20 with 3411 viewsTHEBUSH

Know exactly where your coming from, although when we start winning again, the love for our team will return slowly.
I know you say this is not the case, but it's human nature to protect our feelings for the big fall.
I also hate the way the game has gone, there's no need for players to earn so much money a week, at the fans expense.
We have to get a result on Sunday, a defeat is not acceptable.
Football is sh1t mini rant on 11:38 - Oct 20 with 3411 viewsklr

Cant be bothered to read the original post suffice to say I agree entirely.

The thing where I think a lot of you lot go wrong is not realising that there are plenty of other sports out there, its not just football or nothing, the Olympics should have showed you that.

If people think long & hard about whether they can justify paying fifty quid for a ticket to go and watch Shaun Wright Phillips play football & decide to go through with it, then good luck to them.

Like all of us on here, I'll always be passionate about QPR, but couldnt give a F*ck about a lot of the absolute thick scum that play for us & most other clubs, they are laughable as sportsman, pathetic role models, a complete joke.

For every Alejandro Faurlin, there is ten Anton Ferdinands, Joey Barton's & Shaun Wright Phillips, Its absolutely not for me, ten years ago, I was down there pretty much every week watching the likes of Stevie Palmer put himself on the line for the club, now this was obviously a "limited" player but the mentality of the man, some of these people you see nowadays, I'm not naming names, actually I will; Shaun Wright Phillips-£70 grand a week, Joey Barton-£80 grand a week, its an absolute disgrace.
Football is sh1t mini rant on 12:02 - Oct 20 with 3389 viewsTHEBUSH

Football is sh1t mini rant on 11:38 - Oct 20 by klr

Cant be bothered to read the original post suffice to say I agree entirely.

The thing where I think a lot of you lot go wrong is not realising that there are plenty of other sports out there, its not just football or nothing, the Olympics should have showed you that.

If people think long & hard about whether they can justify paying fifty quid for a ticket to go and watch Shaun Wright Phillips play football & decide to go through with it, then good luck to them.

Like all of us on here, I'll always be passionate about QPR, but couldnt give a F*ck about a lot of the absolute thick scum that play for us & most other clubs, they are laughable as sportsman, pathetic role models, a complete joke.

For every Alejandro Faurlin, there is ten Anton Ferdinands, Joey Barton's & Shaun Wright Phillips, Its absolutely not for me, ten years ago, I was down there pretty much every week watching the likes of Stevie Palmer put himself on the line for the club, now this was obviously a "limited" player but the mentality of the man, some of these people you see nowadays, I'm not naming names, actually I will; Shaun Wright Phillips-£70 grand a week, Joey Barton-£80 grand a week, its an absolute disgrace.

Not often I agree with you klr, but on this subject absolutely.
It's going to take a big club or 2 in the Premiership going bust, before the FA and the PFA come to their senses and control the players power and incomes.
Football is sh1t mini rant on 12:41 - Oct 20 with 3371 viewsClive_Anderson

I just posted a similar rant on another thread.

If they started a supporters league where it costs a couple of quid to get in, you can freely mix with opposition supporters without fear of getting your head kicked in and could actually have a beer or two watching the game then I'd probably be tempted to go along to that instead. Yes the football would be a bit sh*t, but the actual football is probably less than half the enjoyment in general anyway.
Football is sh1t mini rant on 13:44 - Oct 20 with 3323 viewsJuzzie

I think a lot of us are feeling the same about football in general. The money is killing the game and if the FA, PL, FL etc think having even more money coming in from next season will make it better, they are fooling themselves.
If I got fined 2 weeks wages at work, it'll hurt. Fining any PL or even Championship player 2 weeks pay won't make a blind bit of difference so how it it a deterent?

It's become a brand and that is all they are interested in.

Right, I'm off to get a stupid haircut, some tribal arm tattoos and a pair of dr beats headphones. Oh, and a pair of Ugg boots now winter is coming.

Football is sh1t mini rant on 13:52 - Oct 20 with 3315 viewsMrSheen

Football is sh1t mini rant on 13:44 - Oct 20 by Juzzie

I think a lot of us are feeling the same about football in general. The money is killing the game and if the FA, PL, FL etc think having even more money coming in from next season will make it better, they are fooling themselves.
If I got fined 2 weeks wages at work, it'll hurt. Fining any PL or even Championship player 2 weeks pay won't make a blind bit of difference so how it it a deterent?

It's become a brand and that is all they are interested in.

Right, I'm off to get a stupid haircut, some tribal arm tattoos and a pair of dr beats headphones. Oh, and a pair of Ugg boots now winter is coming.

It's not just the money. I spent 35 years of my life totally obsessed with football. Becoming a father made me look at lots of things with fresh eyes, and I became disgusted with what I had previously considered normal. Being penned in concrete enclosures with people of whom a significant number declare that their own players are c*nts, the other team are c*nts, the ref's a c*nt, and the other team's supporters are a bunch of c*nts they want to kill, and anyone who doesn't agree with them is a soft c*nt. All these feelings abundantly returned on the other side. Tens of thousands of people chanted last night about paedophilia and murder, to add to long established songs about Pakis and Turks, the IRA, Auschwitz, Hillsborough, Munich, etc etc.
Football is sh1t mini rant on 14:07 - Oct 20 with 3299 viewsJuzzie

It's generally said that during times of hardship, more extreme feelings in people come out. Could we be starting to go through a similar phase and people are using football as an outlet?

Football is sh1t mini rant on 14:14 - Oct 20 with 3293 viewsDeano19766

Football is sh1t mini rant on 13:52 - Oct 20 by MrSheen

It's not just the money. I spent 35 years of my life totally obsessed with football. Becoming a father made me look at lots of things with fresh eyes, and I became disgusted with what I had previously considered normal. Being penned in concrete enclosures with people of whom a significant number declare that their own players are c*nts, the other team are c*nts, the ref's a c*nt, and the other team's supporters are a bunch of c*nts they want to kill, and anyone who doesn't agree with them is a soft c*nt. All these feelings abundantly returned on the other side. Tens of thousands of people chanted last night about paedophilia and murder, to add to long established songs about Pakis and Turks, the IRA, Auschwitz, Hillsborough, Munich, etc etc.

I followed QPR home and away from the age of 10 yrs old (1986) until tango & cash turned up. During my teenage years (1989-1994) getting to the game was the be all and end all, and the same again under Holloway in league 1. Brilliant times at the club for different reasons.

However, in the early 2000's I started to lose interest in top flight football due to the amount of money and players involved, and this then transferred to Rangers when T&C pitched up. So I started following England in the cricket instead at home and abroad. The Barmy Army are a great bunch and we have a fantastic time when we go away. The players also arent (in the main) the scumbags that footballers are. After we won at Lords in the 2009 Ashes about 20 of us went on the lash with the players in London, when we won the series in New Zealand in 2008 the players came out to find us as got on the sauce with us as they wanted to celebrate with us, and when we retained the ashes in melbourne in 2010 the players found out where us lot were drinking and most of them came to join us for a long night of drinking. They did the same after we won in Sydney.

Can you imagine football players doing that these days? Not a chance! I know in the 90's we had the likes of Les, Willo, The Bard, Macca etc who were very accessible and just nice blokes who loved having our support. That's what the cricketers are like now. Very unlike premiership football playing c n uts! And it's much easier to get passionate and support a bunch of blokes who are nice guys doing their best and who you know genuinely value your support, than it is a bunch of overpaid w***ers!!! So I don't bother with my beloved Rangers anymore I am very sad to say. Amazing that is meant so much to me for most of my life and now I'm so indifferent to it all. But that's what the money in football has done unfortunately. The administrators only care for people thousands of miles away watching on television I'm afraid. They, and the clubs, don't give a stuff about the people who actually go to watch the game. And even though there is a massive increase in television money next year, will they reduce ticket prices? Will they f cuk. It will go straight into the players and agents pockets. What a joke. When they formed the premier league I am convinced clubs said yes as they thought they'd get the increased revenue from tv, not realising they would be handing it all out to the players instead. Its a disgrace. Football has lost the plot.

Oh yes, also off for 6 weeks in India supporting the boys this November/December for less than the cost of a season ticket down the Rangers! Bargain!! Maybe one day I will return, but it won't be until football changes drastically and we havent got scumbags on ridiculous wages playing for us
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
Football is sh1t mini rant on 14:46 - Oct 20 with 3251 viewsthemodfather

Football is sh1t mini rant on 14:14 - Oct 20 by Deano19766

I followed QPR home and away from the age of 10 yrs old (1986) until tango & cash turned up. During my teenage years (1989-1994) getting to the game was the be all and end all, and the same again under Holloway in league 1. Brilliant times at the club for different reasons.

However, in the early 2000's I started to lose interest in top flight football due to the amount of money and players involved, and this then transferred to Rangers when T&C pitched up. So I started following England in the cricket instead at home and abroad. The Barmy Army are a great bunch and we have a fantastic time when we go away. The players also arent (in the main) the scumbags that footballers are. After we won at Lords in the 2009 Ashes about 20 of us went on the lash with the players in London, when we won the series in New Zealand in 2008 the players came out to find us as got on the sauce with us as they wanted to celebrate with us, and when we retained the ashes in melbourne in 2010 the players found out where us lot were drinking and most of them came to join us for a long night of drinking. They did the same after we won in Sydney.

Can you imagine football players doing that these days? Not a chance! I know in the 90's we had the likes of Les, Willo, The Bard, Macca etc who were very accessible and just nice blokes who loved having our support. That's what the cricketers are like now. Very unlike premiership football playing c n uts! And it's much easier to get passionate and support a bunch of blokes who are nice guys doing their best and who you know genuinely value your support, than it is a bunch of overpaid w***ers!!! So I don't bother with my beloved Rangers anymore I am very sad to say. Amazing that is meant so much to me for most of my life and now I'm so indifferent to it all. But that's what the money in football has done unfortunately. The administrators only care for people thousands of miles away watching on television I'm afraid. They, and the clubs, don't give a stuff about the people who actually go to watch the game. And even though there is a massive increase in television money next year, will they reduce ticket prices? Will they f cuk. It will go straight into the players and agents pockets. What a joke. When they formed the premier league I am convinced clubs said yes as they thought they'd get the increased revenue from tv, not realising they would be handing it all out to the players instead. Its a disgrace. Football has lost the plot.

Oh yes, also off for 6 weeks in India supporting the boys this November/December for less than the cost of a season ticket down the Rangers! Bargain!! Maybe one day I will return, but it won't be until football changes drastically and we havent got scumbags on ridiculous wages playing for us

poor refs ruin games
and in a billion ££££ industry they stand out as crap.
i'm sick of the small teams getting shafted at the big teams....soft pens and reds brandished easily ie derry at old trafford
it's not a level playing field and yet they need us to spend to keep it going.
i've seen the "annual" pen given against arsenal st highbury time after time
and you think how fans can be treated, it's amazing anyone bothers. football is not just face paint, silence and spong ehands.
Football is sh1t mini rant on 15:01 - Oct 20 with 3232 viewsAlbRanger

I'm in the 'ditching football for another sport' camp.

I've found myself saying a number of times over the last few months that if it wasn't for QPR I would have no interest in football at all.

A couple of years ago our eldest boy declared he wanted to ditch playing football and join the local rugby team. I was dead against it - up until then all he had wanted to do was play football. A year and a half down the line and it was far and away the best thing he did.

Even at that level the game is everything football is not - no diving, cheating or poisonous atmosphere from the parents.

Now both our eldest two play rugby. Everything we do revolves around it. The eldest still plays football for the local village team but if there's a clash, football comes a distant second.

I agree with just about all the posts above with regards to the state of Football and those that run it.

I'll always be a Ranger. The Hoops will always come first for me but as for Football in general - couldn't care less.
Football is sh1t mini rant on 15:26 - Oct 20 with 3213 viewsCornish_oooRRRR

I agree with most of the sentiments posted in this thread. However, I think you have to factor in that we’re all getting older and everything matters a bit more/is more fun when you’re young. Transplant your younger selves to now, and you wouldn’t have all the nostalgia (sometimes a bit rose tinted) to look back on and you’d be just as passionate about qpr as you were.

I bet a win against Everton would make a difference.

It's got to be Yarg

Football is sh1t mini rant on 15:27 - Oct 20 with 3209 viewsMrSheen

Football is sh1t mini rant on 14:14 - Oct 20 by Deano19766

You get something similar at Rugby League. I take my son to see Harlequins/London Broncos. If you hang around after the game, the players come out about 30 minutes after full time and wander through the fans for their post match meal. They're quite happy to chat to anyone about the game - Rob Burrow showed my son how to hold the ball for a spin pass - and even go in the bar with the fans afterwards. There are some very hard men playing the game, from very tough backgrounds, but they're welcoming and approachable, with none of them clamping on their headphones or pretending to make phone calls - which may have something to do with the vast majority of them earning the same kind of money as their fans.
Football is sh1t mini rant on 16:19 - Oct 20 with 3183 viewsted_hendrix

Jesus wept lads, Is It really that bad?

I don't think so.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Football is sh1t mini rant on 16:28 - Oct 20 with 3166 viewsDeano19766

Afraid it is for many of us Ted. The game has changed its focus, and in turn alienated many many peope. However, think of all those wonderful people in far flung South East Asia who have replaced the disillusioned souls in this country...........
Football is sh1t mini rant on 16:33 - Oct 20 with 3158 viewsAlbRanger

Football is sh1t mini rant on 15:26 - Oct 20 by Cornish_oooRRRR

I agree with most of the sentiments posted in this thread. However, I think you have to factor in that we’re all getting older and everything matters a bit more/is more fun when you’re young. Transplant your younger selves to now, and you wouldn’t have all the nostalgia (sometimes a bit rose tinted) to look back on and you’d be just as passionate about qpr as you were.

I bet a win against Everton would make a difference.

Not sure it's just an age thing mate (maybe just my wishful thinking!). I have loads more fun with Rugby than I have had for ages with Football. That coupled with some of the general issues I have with football - the race for mediocrity in the Premiership, the poor role models of the players, the national team, UEFA, FIFA etc. - mean that I simply don't enjoy Football like I used to.

Ted, TBH mate, for me it is. If it's Football but not QPR I couldn't give a hoot.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024