Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Saw Dunkirk yesterday 19:34 - Jul 23 with 10617 viewsBlackCrowe

jesus.

Just can't imagine what it must've been like to have been there nor how effected you'd be for the rest of your life.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 06:39 - Aug 12 with 563 viewsjonno

Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 21:36 - Aug 11 by BromleyHoop

I seem to recall that Hitler called off his troops as he still had the hope that he could negotiate a treaty with the Brits as he saw us as fellow Aryans and not the main target. Thus leaving him to concentrate on his Eastern front. You could argue that not finishing off the British Army when he had the chance was one of Hitler's greatest errors of military strategy.

Not that you'd know any of that from this dog shite film.

That was one reason. Another was that he needed control in the air, so needed to wipe out the RAF. But the main reason - which is often overlooked - was that the Royal Navy was still, at that time, the most powerful navy in the world and even if they had control of the air it was very unlikely they could get troops across the channel given the strength of the Royal Navy.
Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 08:03 - Aug 12 with 526 views18StoneOfHoop

Looking forward to seeing this eventually.
An interesting LFW thread here what with the pro and anti Nolan CGI debate.
Surprised no-one has mentioned the long tracking shot in the Atonement Dunkirk scene from 2007. Good stuff from Brit Director Joe Wright IMHO -

[Post edited 12 Aug 2017 8:11]

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 18:00 - Aug 12 with 467 viewsCiderwithRsie

Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 06:39 - Aug 12 by jonno

That was one reason. Another was that he needed control in the air, so needed to wipe out the RAF. But the main reason - which is often overlooked - was that the Royal Navy was still, at that time, the most powerful navy in the world and even if they had control of the air it was very unlikely they could get troops across the channel given the strength of the Royal Navy.

The strength of the RN was one of number of reasons why a German invasion of the UK would have been disastrous - it has been extensively war-gamed by the British Army staff college and most estimates are that the German PoW total would have been similar to Stalingrad.

But that is all the more reason to take out the BEF while they could, rather than giving the Navy the chance to get the troops offshore. If they had done the chances are that Churchill would have been forced out of office - he wasn't popular with most Conservative MPs and got the job a day or two before the invasion of France; within a couple of weeks it had all fallen apart and if the BEF had been forced to surrender after a nasty battle with panzers on the beach it would have put the tin lid on it IMO. (Especially as he got the job of PM because Chamberlain was forced to resign over Norway, and many historians now think Churchill, being in charge of the Navy at the time, was largely responsible for Norway - that night have started to sink in if the success of Dunkirk hadn't wiped it out.)

I think you have to remember that the evacuation was massively more successful than either Churchill or even the Navy themselves thought possible, so I suspect it was just a case of Hitler taking his eye off the ball and just assuming the BEF would have to surrender. A bit like Newcastle when they were 4-0 up by half time at our place all those years ago...
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024