Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Saw Dunkirk yesterday 19:34 - Jul 23 with 10620 viewsBlackCrowe

jesus.

Just can't imagine what it must've been like to have been there nor how effected you'd be for the rest of your life.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 15:19 - Aug 2 with 1788 viewsFDC

Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 14:33 - Aug 2 by SonofNorfolt

No, some CGI would have enhanced this film massively.
All his other films have been fantasy, here you are dealing with facts and largely they have been by-passed in favour of characters without a decent script.

The lack of dialogue and therefore a narrative arc is intentional though - the film isn't telling a story, it's painting a picture using atmosphere and affect. I would disagree that the film has characters per se.

I wasn't blown away, but would actually like to see it again
[Post edited 2 Aug 2017 15:58]
Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 17:25 - Aug 2 with 1724 viewsGloucs_R

Phew, glad I am not the only one that thought it was OK but not a blockbuster.

It should have told more of a story about the little boats and the bravery of normal people sailing to France to rescue the soldiers.

I didnt warm to any of the characters

You'd have thought we sent just ten small boats!

The annoying thing was that it started so well, the first 5 minutes were the best IMO.

Agree that CGI would have made it better, it didnt seem to have any scale at times.

A bit of an anti-climax after all the hype.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 09:25 - Aug 3 with 1655 viewsDejR_vu

Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 12:45 - Aug 2 by GloryHunter

A former work colleague of mine was evacuated from Dunkirk. I kept in touch with him after he retired, and we used to meet up for lunch. After a few years he eventually told me that he had had the same nightmare every night of his life - he had tried to save another soldier whose head had been split open, and he was trying to hold it together to stop his brains spilling out, but eventually he was pulled away and bundled onto a boat. He said he had never told anyone else about this before - not even his wife. The guy just carried on with a stiff upper lip, took part in the Normandy landings, and the liberation of a concentration camp, and then had a career and family - no counselling, no PTSD diagnosis - he just got on with it.

The generations since don't appreciate how amazing that generation was. To do the things they had to do is just beyond my comprehension. Completely in awe of every single one of them.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 11:08 - Aug 3 with 1606 viewsBromleyHoop

Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 14:04 - Aug 2 by robith

Again, sounds like you wanted to watch a documentary.

I also don't get how the film should have expanded given the whole idea of it was contracting down to a single cross over moment.

I guarantee you if it was this grand bog standard war film with tons of CGI everyone would be talking about naff it looked. Nolan's aesthetic is to eschew CGI to make things look more real. For me that landed what happened far more than basically watching a computer game.

Art's subjective obviously, I just feel that criticising a piece of cinema for not being a literal recreation is an unfair criticism, in a way that saying it was light on characterisation isn't (a valid critique of any Nolan film imo)

If you're going to eschew CGI for a more realistic film then he should have got 200,000 extras in. This wasn't going to happen and so he should have used CGI to tell the story. I don't expect a literal, completely historically accurate retelling of Dunkirk but for goodness sake give us a sense of scale.
It's like filming Charge of the Lightbrigade with 4 horses.

As for the musical score I found it annoying in parts (the ticking clock) and frustrating in others. The hinted at notes of Nimrod by Elgar made me think that there was going to be some stirring patriotism and bring a lump to my throat. But Elgar just disappeared. The same with Churchills speech - delivered in the most downbeat, drab way imaginable.

I'm sure Nolan didn't want this film to be seen as in any way being Patriotic or Jingoistic or even a rallying call to the 52% who voted to leave the EU. And in that sense, shamefully, he did achieve.

Poll: Who is your player of the season

Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 14:41 - Aug 3 with 1552 viewstraininvain

Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 11:08 - Aug 3 by BromleyHoop

If you're going to eschew CGI for a more realistic film then he should have got 200,000 extras in. This wasn't going to happen and so he should have used CGI to tell the story. I don't expect a literal, completely historically accurate retelling of Dunkirk but for goodness sake give us a sense of scale.
It's like filming Charge of the Lightbrigade with 4 horses.

As for the musical score I found it annoying in parts (the ticking clock) and frustrating in others. The hinted at notes of Nimrod by Elgar made me think that there was going to be some stirring patriotism and bring a lump to my throat. But Elgar just disappeared. The same with Churchills speech - delivered in the most downbeat, drab way imaginable.

I'm sure Nolan didn't want this film to be seen as in any way being Patriotic or Jingoistic or even a rallying call to the 52% who voted to leave the EU. And in that sense, shamefully, he did achieve.

Why shamefully? I thought it was done in a very respectful way but ultimately you can't please everyone.
Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 19:45 - Aug 3 with 1508 viewsHooped_Pullie

I'm in the camp that rated the film, but I can totally see it's cinematic Marmite. An all-out CGI-fest mega-production would have been awesome to watch in some senses, but Nolan went a different way. As for the Brexit contextual stuff, it could be argued that any film depicting the horror of WW1 or WW2 would in effect be essentially anti-Brexit, since post-war European unity has undoubtedly played a massive part in banishing all thoughts of violent conflict between these nations. If you look at all of the worst war-torn areas of the globe, regional co-operation or practical togetherness is sadly absent. The biggest and most successful peace project of the past 70 years worldwide is undoubtedly the EU.

Anyway, back to the film : of recent releases, I can recommend Hacksaw Ridge to those who prefer a bit more oomph in their WW2 movies. Really good true story, too.
Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 20:12 - Aug 3 with 1485 viewsitsbiga

I thought the movie was total junk to be honest.
Had nice cinematography but the overbearingly loud over the top soundtrack that was ramming tension down your throat drove me crazy.
1/10 for me

Poll: Serious concern we'll double drop?

Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 20:27 - Aug 3 with 1477 viewsaston_hoop

Went to see it last night and I have to say I enjoyed it, I found it gripping and in some ways a little understated which I enjoyed more than a full on CGI fest. I went with a Spanish colleague who did complain that the film was actually completely pointless if you don't know the context of it so I don't know if that will hinder any international success of the film?

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Login to get fewer ads

Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 22:07 - Aug 3 with 1448 viewsToast_R

Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 20:27 - Aug 3 by aston_hoop

Went to see it last night and I have to say I enjoyed it, I found it gripping and in some ways a little understated which I enjoyed more than a full on CGI fest. I went with a Spanish colleague who did complain that the film was actually completely pointless if you don't know the context of it so I don't know if that will hinder any international success of the film?

Pointless? Theres rarely a fairy tale end in war movies. Take FMJ for example, Vietnam but no real mission and no real ending and not based on any specific untold story, but a great peice of cinema.
Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 23:13 - Aug 3 with 1430 viewsdaveB

Just been to see it and I thought it was really good, was great to see a film without tons of CGI in it.

I hope he turns it into a trilogy and makes a movie on the Battle of Britain
Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 01:36 - Aug 4 with 1382 viewsFDC

Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 23:13 - Aug 3 by daveB

Just been to see it and I thought it was really good, was great to see a film without tons of CGI in it.

Seems unlikely, Nolan's trajectory from art-house to indie to super-hero to big-budget high-concept to war-movie suggests he'll throw another curve-ball. Animated kid's film maybe
Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 01:49 - Aug 4 with 1378 viewsSonofNorfolt

Tom Hardy will change sides and become a V1 test pilot, and Harry Styles will morph into Vera Lynn.
Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 05:57 - Aug 4 with 1337 viewsPommyhoop

Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 09:25 - Aug 3 by DejR_vu

The generations since don't appreciate how amazing that generation was. To do the things they had to do is just beyond my comprehension. Completely in awe of every single one of them.

Agree with this. A totally different breed of animal compared to us.
And to think that they actually knew what horror awaited them compared to their
fathers before them who quite naively went off to WW1 thinking it would be a bit of adventure and over by Xmas.
Agree with Dave on the trilogy . But I want a film made of The 8th Army's campaigns in North Africa and Italy. Just to try and grasp a little of what my Grandfather went through.
Even got a title for it. '' D Day Dodgers ''

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 07:24 - Aug 4 with 1318 viewsdaveB

Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 05:57 - Aug 4 by Pommyhoop

Agree with this. A totally different breed of animal compared to us.
And to think that they actually knew what horror awaited them compared to their
fathers before them who quite naively went off to WW1 thinking it would be a bit of adventure and over by Xmas.
Agree with Dave on the trilogy . But I want a film made of The 8th Army's campaigns in North Africa and Italy. Just to try and grasp a little of what my Grandfather went through.
Even got a title for it. '' D Day Dodgers ''

My Grandad was in North Africa for part of the war as well, he was in the war rooms for D Day, amazing man and your right that generation was incredible. He used to talk about it as if it was nothing
Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 09:38 - Aug 4 with 1274 viewsMonahoop

Talking of war film trilogies, remakes etc, wasn't there a plan a few years ago to make a remake of The Dambusters. Any film buffs on here care to elaborate or know if this was for real? I believe Stephen Fry had a hand in the plan and its research. Would love to see a remake of this if it was to happen.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 00:10 - Aug 11 with 1117 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Finally went to see it tonight with a mate who (In her words) 'doesn't know much about it'

She loved it and I loved it.

Superb film.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 09:37 - Aug 11 with 1013 viewspomanjou

Well overated and I basically agree with Bromley and Thame.

Came out deafened and disappointed.

I hate dolby.

I never normally go to 'war' films but was enticed by the blurb.

Yes, the Dambusters and bouncing bombs was for real in answer to someone who posed the question.

Currently residing in Pinner, Centre of the Universe.
Poll: we have a timetable for Brexit, should there be a referendum for the English

Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 14:08 - Aug 11 with 956 viewsjonno

Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 09:38 - Aug 4 by Monahoop

Talking of war film trilogies, remakes etc, wasn't there a plan a few years ago to make a remake of The Dambusters. Any film buffs on here care to elaborate or know if this was for real? I believe Stephen Fry had a hand in the plan and its research. Would love to see a remake of this if it was to happen.

They had to cancel the remake of Dambusters because they could not use the name of Guy Gibson's dog "N1gger". I reckon there are loads of WW2 films which could be remade very successfully nowadays, as well as lots of other WW2 events which have never been committed to celluloid.
Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 15:05 - Aug 11 with 936 viewspaulparker

Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 14:08 - Aug 11 by jonno

They had to cancel the remake of Dambusters because they could not use the name of Guy Gibson's dog "N1gger". I reckon there are loads of WW2 films which could be remade very successfully nowadays, as well as lots of other WW2 events which have never been committed to celluloid.

im surprised no one has made a re make of the Longest day but in a very bloodier format ,
id love to see a few films on

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 15:06 - Aug 11 with 934 viewspaulparker

Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 15:05 - Aug 11 by paulparker

im surprised no one has made a re make of the Longest day but in a very bloodier format ,
id love to see a few films on

Bloody computer !! !

as I was saying the Longest day should be re made along with some films on WW1 or make a series on WW1 akin to band of brothers or the pacific, now that I would love to see

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 20:41 - Aug 11 with 863 viewsCiderwithRsie

I think Robith had it right - "a horror film set in a war".

I swung to-and-fro on it; gripping start, then it all seemed to be a bit of a disjointed mess with no central performance, then the overall impression started to sink in. Overall I thought it was good but not outstanding. I really like duh music but I guess that's a personal matter.

If you compare it with Saving Private Ryan, then I'd say that the opening scenes of SPR set a new standard for realistic portrayal of the horror of war in cinema, which Dunkirk didn't; and that while SPR has a dollop of Hollywood schmaltz it also had a really strong McGuffin - the terrible loss of the Ryan family and the need to launch what would otherwise be a completely irrational mission; a strong ensemble caste (rather than a disparate set of stories cunningly woven together) and a fine central performance from Hanks. To some extent SPR does the obvious thing and Dunkirk is bit more experimental, but sometimes Hollywood just does the obvious thing really really well and the experimental is a bit unsatisfactory.

Another thing in SPR that I really liked was the mystery of what Hanks' character did in peacetime and the revelation (Spoiler!) that he was a teacher. It got over the fact that in the US (and British) armies of WW2 hardly anyone had even done national service before, even the real tough guys had just been ordinary civvies before the war. Spike Milliagan has another line about how amazing it was that "We, an ordinary bunch of British layabouts, had beaten the mighty German war machine". It is sort of implied in Dunkirk but the detail isn't really brought out.

One biting it ain't is a documentary and funnily enough I reckon you could make a damn fine one, possibly as a TV mini-series, which would bring out the detail of the rearguard action and the context of the fall of France. It could also cover the political background - I recommend "Five days in London, May 1940" by John Lukacs, amazing detail on the battles going on in the cabinet as the evacuation was taking place, which really brings home how close Hitler came to winning the war and the pivotal nature of Dunkirk.
Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 20:50 - Aug 11 with 860 viewsFredManRave

Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 20:41 - Aug 11 by CiderwithRsie

I think Robith had it right - "a horror film set in a war".

I swung to-and-fro on it; gripping start, then it all seemed to be a bit of a disjointed mess with no central performance, then the overall impression started to sink in. Overall I thought it was good but not outstanding. I really like duh music but I guess that's a personal matter.

If you compare it with Saving Private Ryan, then I'd say that the opening scenes of SPR set a new standard for realistic portrayal of the horror of war in cinema, which Dunkirk didn't; and that while SPR has a dollop of Hollywood schmaltz it also had a really strong McGuffin - the terrible loss of the Ryan family and the need to launch what would otherwise be a completely irrational mission; a strong ensemble caste (rather than a disparate set of stories cunningly woven together) and a fine central performance from Hanks. To some extent SPR does the obvious thing and Dunkirk is bit more experimental, but sometimes Hollywood just does the obvious thing really really well and the experimental is a bit unsatisfactory.

Another thing in SPR that I really liked was the mystery of what Hanks' character did in peacetime and the revelation (Spoiler!) that he was a teacher. It got over the fact that in the US (and British) armies of WW2 hardly anyone had even done national service before, even the real tough guys had just been ordinary civvies before the war. Spike Milliagan has another line about how amazing it was that "We, an ordinary bunch of British layabouts, had beaten the mighty German war machine". It is sort of implied in Dunkirk but the detail isn't really brought out.

One biting it ain't is a documentary and funnily enough I reckon you could make a damn fine one, possibly as a TV mini-series, which would bring out the detail of the rearguard action and the context of the fall of France. It could also cover the political background - I recommend "Five days in London, May 1940" by John Lukacs, amazing detail on the battles going on in the cabinet as the evacuation was taking place, which really brings home how close Hitler came to winning the war and the pivotal nature of Dunkirk.

A documentary that should also include clarification on why Hitler decided to call a halt to the advance of the army. Altough maybe it will only ever be supposition because I've never read or heard of a concrete reason for his thinking in doing so.

Thank God he did though...

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 21:36 - Aug 11 with 841 viewsBromleyHoop

I seem to recall that Hitler called off his troops as he still had the hope that he could negotiate a treaty with the Brits as he saw us as fellow Aryans and not the main target. Thus leaving him to concentrate on his Eastern front. You could argue that not finishing off the British Army when he had the chance was one of Hitler's greatest errors of military strategy.

Not that you'd know any of that from this dog shite film.

Poll: Who is your player of the season

Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 22:32 - Aug 11 with 811 viewsCiderwithRsie

Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 21:36 - Aug 11 by BromleyHoop

I seem to recall that Hitler called off his troops as he still had the hope that he could negotiate a treaty with the Brits as he saw us as fellow Aryans and not the main target. Thus leaving him to concentrate on his Eastern front. You could argue that not finishing off the British Army when he had the chance was one of Hitler's greatest errors of military strategy.

Not that you'd know any of that from this dog shite film.

I think, as FredMan says, this is one of those questions to which the answer is "Nobody Knows" And, yeah, it is quite a big deal. But I don't think this was that sort of a film.

Anyone see the "original" by Barry Norman's dad? or the BBC mini-series 10 years or so back? I've not seen either, might make quite an interesting comparison.
Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 23:03 - Aug 11 with 800 viewsLblock

Saw Dunkirk yesterday on 15:06 - Aug 11 by paulparker

Bloody computer !! !

as I was saying the Longest day should be re made along with some films on WW1 or make a series on WW1 akin to band of brothers or the pacific, now that I would love to see

The Longest Day. Well I never.

I actually bunked off school to watch that when I was knee high to a shoplifter

My Mum still says my illness acting was better than anyone in the film!!

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024