Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Off topic: Boring, plumbing related query, any help appreciated! 11:03 - May 30 with 2299 viewsR_from_afar

Warning: Contents extremely dull and liable to cause narcolepsy. Do not read while operating heavy machinery or handling naked flames.

So here's a contender for the most boring thread for many a year, if not, ever. So, so, sorry.

We are updating our bathroom and had the telephone handset style shower mixer taps replaced with the one below:
https://www.victorianplumbing.co.uk/olympia-art-deco-bath-shower-mixer-tap-showe

The problem is that there was a communication breakdown with our plumber and the above unit, which is now installed, turns out to be unsuitable for our low water pressure. He says we need a unit suitable for 0.1 bar. He is an excellent plumber whom my brother's family and I have both used for donkeys' years, so this is a real shame and unusual.

The old unit, which was at least 18 years old, gave a perfectly adequate shower but with this new one, the water just dribbles out and it really is unusable for the purposes of showering.

My question is: Would a replacement shower head , like the Mira Beat, improve the water flow such that the shower would produce a normal spray pattern?

This would save us the cost of getting a new unit and the labour of having it fitted, plus the labour of replacing the matching basin taps, which are also new but which we will use in the ensuite when that is upgraded.

Thanks a million for any insight.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Off topic: Boring, plumbing related query, any help appreciated! on 11:31 - May 30 with 2230 viewsactonman

First thing to do would be get your water supplier to come out and check the flow and pressure at property boundary. They will tell you what’s being supplied to this point which is generally over 2 bar with the flow above 10 litres per minute.

Other factors will drop the flow rate as it comes into the house like if you are on a shared supply or have old iron pipe work on your side (age and type of house) will give you an idea on this .

Something doesn’t sound right as 0.1 bar is very low and if you had less than that it wouldn’t matter what shower head you used as you would struggle all over the house and have hardly anything at your kitchen tap
Off topic: Boring, plumbing related query, any help appreciated! on 12:37 - May 30 with 2156 viewsSpen

It sounds like you have a a gravity fed system, ie cold water tank in loft/hot water cylinder on first floor???
Assuming that’s the case and you don’t have any form of artificial pressure boost (shower pump) then most new bathroom hardware is unsuitable for that type of system and a low pressure version is required.

As a lot more houses now have mains pressure systems (combi/unvented cylinders) a lot of bathroom hardware is tailored for this type.

Older style taps had less internal restrictions so could still give a fairly decent shower.

So assuming the above is correct, 2 options. Replace for low pressure as installer has suggested or fit shower pump to boost supply.
Off topic: Boring, plumbing related query, any help appreciated! on 12:48 - May 30 with 2121 viewshantssi

Off topic: Boring, plumbing related query, any help appreciated! on 12:37 - May 30 by Spen

It sounds like you have a a gravity fed system, ie cold water tank in loft/hot water cylinder on first floor???
Assuming that’s the case and you don’t have any form of artificial pressure boost (shower pump) then most new bathroom hardware is unsuitable for that type of system and a low pressure version is required.

As a lot more houses now have mains pressure systems (combi/unvented cylinders) a lot of bathroom hardware is tailored for this type.

Older style taps had less internal restrictions so could still give a fairly decent shower.

So assuming the above is correct, 2 options. Replace for low pressure as installer has suggested or fit shower pump to boost supply.

What he said!
Happened to us years back, we fitted a shower pump.
Changed to a combi a few years back and get great mains pressure showers now with the added advantage of drinking water at every tap!
Off topic: Boring, plumbing related query, any help appreciated! on 13:20 - May 30 with 2066 viewsR_from_afar

Great stuff, thanks for your interest and helpful responses, much appreciated!

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Off topic: Boring, plumbing related query, any help appreciated! on 15:44 - May 30 with 1949 viewsMick_S

Off topic: Boring, plumbing related query, any help appreciated! on 13:20 - May 30 by R_from_afar

Great stuff, thanks for your interest and helpful responses, much appreciated!

We had a pump fitted when we had a new shower installed on my mate’s recommendation. It’s bloody marvellous - try and get your plumber to vouch for something quiet ( bit more expensive) buts it’s well worth it.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Off topic: Boring, plumbing related query, any help appreciated! on 13:14 - Jun 28 with 1569 viewsR_from_afar

I know, this is beyond dull, but here's a gripping update for anyone struggling to get to sleep:

Mrs R from Afar, in desperation - the latest set of shower taps we bought looked like they would not fit our bathroom unless some of the (new) tiles were filed off, groan - bought a replacement shower head, for the princely sum of £12. The result: Success!

For those of you still awake, and interested, the unit is a Croydex Presion Pressure Boost One Function Shower Handset.

Off topic: Boring, plumbing related query, any help appreciated! on 13:22 - Jun 28 with 1550 viewsBklynRanger

You really can't go wrong with a Croydex Presion Pressure Boost One Function Shower Handset.

I've been saying that for as long as Croydex Presion Pressure Boost One Function Shower Handsets have been in production.
Off topic: Boring, plumbing related query, any help appreciated! on 13:35 - Jun 28 with 1519 viewsR_from_afar

Off topic: Boring, plumbing related query, any help appreciated! on 13:22 - Jun 28 by BklynRanger

You really can't go wrong with a Croydex Presion Pressure Boost One Function Shower Handset.

I've been saying that for as long as Croydex Presion Pressure Boost One Function Shower Handsets have been in production.

Indeed

I really think it needs a proper name, like that Henry vacuum cleaner. Perhaps Gerald.

I reckon this thread has moved me into pole position for the "Dullest thread of the year" award ha ha!

Login to get fewer ads

Off topic: Boring, plumbing related query, any help appreciated! on 13:36 - Jun 28 with 1520 viewsthame_hoops

the water board have to give you 0.9bar minimum so i'd be surprised if you dont get at least 1-2bar?
Off topic: Boring, plumbing related query, any help appreciated! on 14:01 - Jun 28 with 1481 viewsBklynRanger

Off topic: Boring, plumbing related query, any help appreciated! on 13:35 - Jun 28 by R_from_afar

Indeed

I really think it needs a proper name, like that Henry vacuum cleaner. Perhaps Gerald.

I reckon this thread has moved me into pole position for the "Dullest thread of the year" award ha ha!

Don't count your Hattersley butterfly valves just yet mate - there's some stiff competition around
Off topic: Boring, plumbing related query, any help appreciated! on 14:04 - Jun 28 with 1473 viewsR_from_afar

Off topic: Boring, plumbing related query, any help appreciated! on 13:36 - Jun 28 by thame_hoops

the water board have to give you 0.9bar minimum so i'd be surprised if you dont get at least 1-2bar?

Interesting, thanks for posting. I'm not sure what pressure we get but this whole refresh thing has been a nightmare. Before we started, we had a working shower but:

- Replacement shower taps A, once fitted, just produced a dribble (no sniggering please)
- The plumber advised us get some different ones, for low pressure systems specifically. When I checked the delivery, we had not been sent the set I ordered. I checked with the supplier who told me the ones they supplied were the same as the ones we ordered, even though the part numbers were different and they had separate, *non-matching* descriptions on the website (the minimum required flow rates were different). Those taps went back.
- I found a replacement which was described as appropriate for low pressure systems. I even checked the original manufacturer's specs, they also said that. I showed the plumber what I was proposing to order and he said they would be fine. They arrived and the feed pipes turned out to be quite fat; I got the tape measure out and it looked touch and go as to whether they could be fitted to the bath because the new tiles, even though they had been fitted to maximise clearance, didn't seem to allow enough clearance for the pipes to be fitted to the bath. At that point, we were distraught - I know, first world problems but we have been waiting since December to get this work quoted and completed - but then my wife met Gerald and we all fell in love [hug.] I am just back from the post office, having sent that tap set back too.

We have spent hours surfing plumbing websites, slogging round Wickes and Homebase and poring over web guides and product specs. Taps adverts follow me everywhere on the internet and my browsing history is duller than an afternoon at a cutlery museum.

We're going to do it all again for bathroom number two, not that bathroom number one is even finished yet. Wish me luck!

Off topic: Boring, plumbing related query, any help appreciated! on 14:34 - Jun 28 with 1433 viewsted_hendrix

ZZZZzzzzzZzzzzzzzzzzyawnzzzzzzzzzzZ

Rubber tap washers smell nice when new zzzzzzzzzzzz yawn under pressure, zzz, drip---drip---drip.

Plug

z

Non return valves

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024