Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Aldershot match thread 14:50 - Nov 18 with 8629 views442Dale

White socks.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Aldershot match thread on 15:40 - Nov 18 with 7406 viewsRotherhamDale

1 0 down. Absolutely shite as usual

Possession with progression.

Aldershot match thread on 15:46 - Nov 18 with 7370 viewsRotherhamDale

1-1. Still been shite

Aldershot match thread on 15:52 - Nov 18 with 7334 views442Dale

Lack of urgency illustrated by Uchegbulum at both ends. Led to them scoring and then the first time he shows some in their half it ends up in a goal.

Hayes excellent as he chooses to go at people.

Aldershot match thread on 15:55 - Nov 18 with 7299 viewsCarbonDale

It's painfully obvious that Uchegbalum isn't effective on the left, but Purple (Hayes) is doing so well down the right he has to stay there.
Aldershot match thread on 16:03 - Nov 18 with 7212 viewsDaleFan7

Aldershot match thread on 15:55 - Nov 18 by CarbonDale

It's painfully obvious that Uchegbalum isn't effective on the left, but Purple (Hayes) is doing so well down the right he has to stay there.

It's been so painful to watch 90% of our play go down the left and be completely ineffective but the couple of times they've passed the ball to Hayes he's breezed past their defenders. The players obviously aren't seeing it or are being told to keep it down the left.

East is too far forward he isn't influencing the game like he can from deeper.

Some of our players could win a musical statues championship.
Aldershot match thread on 16:44 - Nov 18 with 7035 viewsRotherhamDale

2-1. Improvement 2nd half. Can we hold on straight after the kick off?

Aldershot match thread on 17:10 - Nov 18 with 6834 viewsDaleFan7

Miles better 2nd half. People actually moving and we used Hayes a lot more.
Aldershot match thread on 17:23 - Nov 18 with 6718 viewsnordenblue

Aldershot match thread on 17:10 - Nov 18 by DaleFan7

Miles better 2nd half. People actually moving and we used Hayes a lot more.

Thought John and Gilmour did pretty well, good game management too near the end with the changes and Clayton(?) going down for treatment near the end to re group and a bit of a breather
Login to get fewer ads

Aldershot match thread on 17:32 - Nov 18 with 6659 viewsBarrowdale

Aldershot match thread on 17:23 - Nov 18 by nordenblue

Thought John and Gilmour did pretty well, good game management too near the end with the changes and Clayton(?) going down for treatment near the end to re group and a bit of a breather

Utter shite until about 60 mins when we decided to have a go. Agree John was good , East too dar fwd. Jez not even interested. Mitchell ran for once and did ok. All it needs is McNulty to make some basic changes. Stop short goalkicks. Leave a player up when defending corners and cross the fkin ball. Do that and we could be ok
Aldershot match thread on 17:32 - Nov 18 with 6659 views442Dale

Play at a tempo and defend crosses and we’ll be fine. Our problems come when we don’t do either of those.

Second half we did both well.

Aldershot match thread on 17:34 - Nov 18 with 6648 views442Dale

Aldershot match thread on 17:32 - Nov 18 by Barrowdale

Utter shite until about 60 mins when we decided to have a go. Agree John was good , East too dar fwd. Jez not even interested. Mitchell ran for once and did ok. All it needs is McNulty to make some basic changes. Stop short goalkicks. Leave a player up when defending corners and cross the fkin ball. Do that and we could be ok

The short goal kicks allow us to go long. It mixes up the play.

Agree on the other two points. The winner showed the value of a good cross.

Aldershot match thread on 18:51 - Nov 18 with 6202 viewsAlan_ADale

ghastly, boring first half - all Dale are bad at repeated. 15 mins into second half we start having a go instead of trying to get the ball back to moulden. from there, much better. scary we struggle to get the ball in the opposition half and keep it there in 90+ minutes but got away with iit. fun comments in the sandy and a good xmas beer on in the ratcliffe. had worse days at the Dale.
Aldershot match thread on 19:13 - Nov 18 with 6066 viewsTomRAFC

Aldershot match thread on 18:51 - Nov 18 by Alan_ADale

ghastly, boring first half - all Dale are bad at repeated. 15 mins into second half we start having a go instead of trying to get the ball back to moulden. from there, much better. scary we struggle to get the ball in the opposition half and keep it there in 90+ minutes but got away with iit. fun comments in the sandy and a good xmas beer on in the ratcliffe. had worse days at the Dale.

I've got similar thoughts. It was a remarkably dull and frustrating first half. We started having a go second half, but even then it took us a while to find our shooting boots.

Glad to see that the idiot at the back of the Sandy shouting at Rodney to run more was royally shot down from all sides. Surely it's the last thing Devante needs, given what he is going through.

Lees Plum Pudding was very welcome on cask. Hope it remains over the festive period.

Poll: Would you have Keith Hill back?

Aldershot match thread on 19:38 - Nov 18 with 5916 views49thseason

The minute's silence and the events leading up to it were shambolic, It was symptomatic of the whole club, unprepared, uncoordinated and totally lacking in management, it was insulting for the participants on the pitch and embarassing for the rest of us.
The first half of football was equally poor. What excuse can there possibly be for making walking football look like a fast-paced game? Hayes barely got a kick, EEL couldn't pass water, by the end of the game I had counted 13 attempted long passes of which just 2 found a blue shirt and I only started counting half way through the first half!
And collectively, so, so, slow to move the ball, no movement, no outlet, no risk-taking. Aldershot followed the " how to beat Rochdale " manual currently being circulated around the division and inevitably scored first and then sat back with all 11 behind the ball hoping for a speedy counter. The response was to starve Hayes who was stood in acres of space but might as well have got a newspaper to read whilst waiting for a pass, ignore the (very) occasional runner and generally pass backwards whenever possible.
Clearly the half time medicine worked and they rolled their sleeves up, well up to the elbows at least. Hayes got some passes, John remembered it is OK to attack once in a while, Mitchell eventually took one of 2 or 3 decent chances and bringing on an extra defender to protect the lead certainly did no harm, its a win at home and for that we must be grateful, the challenge is to do the second half twice on Tuesday,
Aldershot match thread on 19:51 - Nov 18 with 5849 views_Windydale

Pedestrian first half. Well needed 2-1 victory don't care much for the first half but we got moving thankfully as the game went on. Its's precious points in the bag and a win, hopefully raise the spirits of the players. A happier weekend, lets hope a performance that matches the 2nd half on Tuesday! up the Dale. Get in!
Aldershot match thread on 20:16 - Nov 18 with 5718 viewsSandyman

Aldershot match thread on 20:20 - Nov 18 with 5691 viewsEllDale

First things first and the JW Lees Plum beer is indeed a splendid brew.
It was a nervy first half and perhaps the team were feeling the pressure of a record of one win in eight games?
Hayes didn’t see as much ball as everyone would have liked but I couldn’t weigh up whether or not at times SAJ seemed to be playing more like an old fashioned inside forward rather than a conventional fullback?
And if both wingers hug the touchlines then someone needs to breaking forward and making runs from midfield which didn’t happen. It’s all well and good Nevitt and EEL having a lot of ball but if there’s no forward movement in front of them it’s futile. That might explain a lot of the latter’s misplaced passes.
I thought Dale dominated the second half. Aldershot did whip in some crosses but they were dealt with. I noticed that before the back four did their little warmup before the game that EEL got them together for a chat which included some fist into palm of the hand thumping. I don’t think I’ve ever seen him as vocal.
The winner was courtesy of a great move from a corner and a sumptuous cross from Clayton which more or less challenged Mitchell to miss the chance. He didn’t though, lovely header.
And there must be some hard work going on at Platt Lane too, that was a great free kick routine which saw Mitchell’s attempt blocked by the goalkeeper’s boot.
My MOM was actually Gilmour who looked really good with East a bit further upfield. And that block at the end was excellent. Hayes and John were excellent too and BJ made the right changes at just the right time too.
Finally, had Jack the kitman mislaid his pump? I’ve never seen such a palaver over balls before.
[Post edited 18 Nov 2023 20:22]
Aldershot match thread on 21:30 - Nov 18 with 5420 viewsdingdangblue

It was like watching walking football at times. Why are we so negative and slow? As soon as Hayes got involved (definitely not negative and slow) we looked dangerous. When we play soooo slow its so boring to watch - Jim we dont want it. 2nd half was a big improvement when we actually raised the tempo.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Aldershot match thread on 21:59 - Nov 18 with 5334 viewsDale69er

Aldershot match thread on 19:13 - Nov 18 by TomRAFC

I've got similar thoughts. It was a remarkably dull and frustrating first half. We started having a go second half, but even then it took us a while to find our shooting boots.

Glad to see that the idiot at the back of the Sandy shouting at Rodney to run more was royally shot down from all sides. Surely it's the last thing Devante needs, given what he is going through.

Lees Plum Pudding was very welcome on cask. Hope it remains over the festive period.

Think we got away with one to some extent. We know we can't defend crosses, so why were we defending with nearly everyone on the edge of our penalty area inviting Aldershot to pepper us with crosses?
Aldershot match thread on 23:16 - Nov 18 with 5112 viewsD_Alien

Aldershot match thread on 21:59 - Nov 18 by Dale69er

Think we got away with one to some extent. We know we can't defend crosses, so why were we defending with nearly everyone on the edge of our penalty area inviting Aldershot to pepper us with crosses?

Couldn't be owt to do with being under instructions, like i've been trying to explain all week,
now could it...

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Aldershot match thread on 10:08 - Nov 19 with 4583 viewsDale_4_Life

Starting with the minutes silence it was shambolic until about 4.15pm.

Should be referee whistle - Last post - continued silence - referee whistle.

The delay meant when the whistle sounded to start the whole ground thought it was the signal it was over.

The first half was beyond terrible . I (like many others) find it an increasingly difficult watch.

The last 30 minutes were so much better that's the template for the other 2/3rd of the game.

Hayes MOM by a street. The less said about EEL distribution and passing the better.

3 points against a decent in form side.. Nothing to worry about in this league I am hoping that penny drops with BJ this side of Christmas so we can actually take our chance in the playoffs.
Aldershot match thread on 11:31 - Nov 19 with 4396 viewsBarrowdale

Exactly this. Bj needs to understand how slow and boring that first half style was to watch.
Aldershot match thread on 12:39 - Nov 19 with 4243 viewsNorthernDale

I have to agree with many of the comments, the first fifty minutes was dire and boring to say the least and I was flabbergasted to hear McNulty say we dominated large parts of the first half, we looked a poor team. Yet under McNulty we are a Jekyll and Hyde team, in that we went from looking a poor team to a team that suddenly looked like world beaters and once we went in front, looked comfortable, until the dying minutes, when we went to playing negative once again.

Why do we continuously play like that and crucially, when defending corners, why not leave one up field, because if we clear the ball, without somebody to pick the ball, the opposition just send the ball back into our box.
Aldershot match thread on 09:28 - Nov 20 with 3644 viewsAtThePeake

Aldershot match thread on 23:16 - Nov 18 by D_Alien

Couldn't be owt to do with being under instructions, like i've been trying to explain all week,
now could it...

Wouldn't that be more to do with the instructions on how we defend out of possession in those areas than how we play in possession though?

I don't think anyone's denying there's an issue with the instructions, it's the idea that the instructions to play a possession-based style is inadvertently leading to us conceding from corners that I'm struggling to understand personally.

Tangled up in blue.

Aldershot match thread on 09:31 - Nov 20 with 3637 viewsAtThePeake

Aldershot match thread on 19:38 - Nov 18 by 49thseason

The minute's silence and the events leading up to it were shambolic, It was symptomatic of the whole club, unprepared, uncoordinated and totally lacking in management, it was insulting for the participants on the pitch and embarassing for the rest of us.
The first half of football was equally poor. What excuse can there possibly be for making walking football look like a fast-paced game? Hayes barely got a kick, EEL couldn't pass water, by the end of the game I had counted 13 attempted long passes of which just 2 found a blue shirt and I only started counting half way through the first half!
And collectively, so, so, slow to move the ball, no movement, no outlet, no risk-taking. Aldershot followed the " how to beat Rochdale " manual currently being circulated around the division and inevitably scored first and then sat back with all 11 behind the ball hoping for a speedy counter. The response was to starve Hayes who was stood in acres of space but might as well have got a newspaper to read whilst waiting for a pass, ignore the (very) occasional runner and generally pass backwards whenever possible.
Clearly the half time medicine worked and they rolled their sleeves up, well up to the elbows at least. Hayes got some passes, John remembered it is OK to attack once in a while, Mitchell eventually took one of 2 or 3 decent chances and bringing on an extra defender to protect the lead certainly did no harm, its a win at home and for that we must be grateful, the challenge is to do the second half twice on Tuesday,

Noticed something similar re: the long passes. As pedestrian as it was at times, every attempt to go long was so bad in that first half. When the game feels so slow like that there needs to be more confidence from the midfield three to receive the ball on the turn under pressure and get us forward that way because we were so ineffective whenever we tried to go long I do wonder whether that's the thinking behind Gilmour being played deeper than East in the last few games as he's usually very good in those tight spaces with the ball.

Tangled up in blue.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024