Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Microsoft Phone Call 11:01 - Feb 27 with 2993 viewsBazWoT

Just had a call from someone claiming to be a Microsoft employee concerned about my computer (I had a couple of these a while back. Iasked him why he was calling me and he said they had seen a problem with my computer they can see on the internet. I asked him what is your role and where he worked. He replied saying he worked for Microsoft but couldn't say where. So I told him I was a Microsoft Cerified Systems Engineer and needed to know who he was and where he was calling from.

Line went dead.

Don't know why I posted that but just thought I'd let you know, just in case anyone may fall for it, I know nobody on here would but someone might be reading the board that's less streetwise than us.

WE R PREMIER LEAGUE, SAY!!!

Microsoft Phone Call on 11:02 - Feb 27 with 2987 viewsTheBlob

Was it in an asian accent perchance?

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Microsoft Phone Call on 11:09 - Feb 27 with 2973 viewsBazWoT

Microsoft Phone Call on 11:02 - Feb 27 by TheBlob

Was it in an asian accent perchance?

Sure did, along with that time delay that allows to keep repeating the same thing before he can answer.

Must be good old Mukerjee again......

WE R PREMIER LEAGUE, SAY!!!

Microsoft Phone Call on 11:16 - Feb 27 with 2958 viewsTheBlob

Microsoft Phone Call on 11:09 - Feb 27 by BazWoT

Sure did, along with that time delay that allows to keep repeating the same thing before he can answer.

What is alarming about this scenario is I got a phone call from Barclays security from a young lady with an asian accent and immediately the thought "scam" enters the brain.Was just about to utter some choice words when the rupee dropped.
Whatever happened to grovelling english accents eh?

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Microsoft Phone Call on 11:16 - Feb 27 with 2957 viewsSnipper

It's best to warn people Baz. I had a similar call a few months back and he pretty much said what was said to you.

I told him to fcuk off.
Microsoft Phone Call on 11:28 - Feb 27 with 2919 viewsAunt_Nelly

I had one of those calls. Crackly line from Mumbai or wherever. Bloke said he worked for Microsoft and they had spotted a vius on my computer. I told him to fck off and take me off his sales list.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
Microsoft Phone Call on 11:39 - Feb 27 with 2902 viewsJuzzie

With phone scams it's so easy for us to give information away such as passwords etc.

They phone up, say they're from your bank etc and ask you to confirm your password, mothers maiden name etc. We do this becuase we so conditioned to providing this information. Expect that's when WE call our bank.

I had a call once from someone saying they were from my bank, can I confirm those details etc and I said "Hang on, you called ME therefore you should know who I am, why should I confirm? How do I know who YOU are?". The line went dead.

Microsoft Phone Call on 11:49 - Feb 27 with 2880 viewswestolian

Microsoft Phone Call on 11:39 - Feb 27 by Juzzie

With phone scams it's so easy for us to give information away such as passwords etc.

They phone up, say they're from your bank etc and ask you to confirm your password, mothers maiden name etc. We do this becuase we so conditioned to providing this information. Expect that's when WE call our bank.

I had a call once from someone saying they were from my bank, can I confirm those details etc and I said "Hang on, you called ME therefore you should know who I am, why should I confirm? How do I know who YOU are?". The line went dead.

The stupid thing nowadays is that major companies MUST ask you to confirm who you are - even if THEY have phoned you for as its for data protection.

They may have dialled the wrong number or someone else may have picked up your phone !?!

But when they ask you 6 "security" questions its pushing the point too much !!

I've found a team sheet for the weekend - anyone interested ?

Microsoft Phone Call on 12:18 - Feb 27 with 2846 viewsJuzzie

Even if they are genuine, I'm never going to give out my details to someone who has called me. Ever. How do you know 100% for sure?

We're always told, "never respond to e-mails asking for confirmation as we would never ask for it" so why should we do the same with a phone call?

If it's that important, I ask what they nature of the call is and I'll contact the bank myself to sort it out.

Login to get fewer ads

Microsoft Phone Call on 13:52 - Feb 27 with 2745 viewsessextaxiboy

I tell them I havnt got a computer . Not sure they believe me but they always just hang up .
Microsoft Phone Call on 14:01 - Feb 27 with 2733 viewsTW_R

Microsoft Phone Call on 13:52 - Feb 27 by essextaxiboy

I tell them I havnt got a computer . Not sure they believe me but they always just hang up .

That works. Or say you've got a Mac.

I had a phone call from my bank once and they asked me some "security" questions, so I asked how I knew they were who they said they were. She said that she defintely worked for said bank, so I asked her for her mother's maiden name. Instead of making a name up, she said she wouldn't tell me and ended the call!
Microsoft Phone Call on 18:00 - Feb 27 with 2665 viewsW7Ranger

Microsoft Phone Call on 11:09 - Feb 27 by BazWoT

That's spooky!! I had exactly the same thing on Saturday morning, about that time too. A woman claiming to be from "Windows!" stating that I had a problem/virus with my PC etc...

They must've got my details from somewhere and I've only just got broadband too. She knew my name but the line was terrible and her accent was so strong I could barely understand her. But you could tell she was reading from a script. I told her I was on my laptop at that very moment (which I was) and that it was working perfectly fine. Told her that if I had a problem I'd ring up Sky about it. Told her I thought she was a Scammer and she didn't respond for a few seconds and then hung up.....CNTS!!!
Microsoft Phone Call on 20:18 - Feb 27 with 2583 viewsQPR_John

Stupid con as everybody knows you cannot get hold of Microsoft, at least without paying for the priviledge, even if you have a genuine problem so they are hardly likely to make contact themselves..
Microsoft Phone Call on 20:38 - Feb 27 with 2555 viewsCamberleyR

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024