Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A perfect example of why a great youth policy is essential .... 10:28 - Apr 12 with 2340 viewstooting_hoop

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22112980

Follow me on Twitter @tootinghoop

A perfect example of why a great youth policy is essential .... on 10:39 - Apr 12 with 2319 viewsnewgolddream

FA Cup Final 2003 - Arsenal v Southampton

Good point there but please don't give our Saints 'friend' a bigger head!!!!!!!!!!!!
A perfect example of why a great youth policy is essential .... on 10:51 - Apr 12 with 2297 viewsTacticalR

We used to have Swansea-envy, and now we've got Southampton-envy

Anyway, I am sure we all support youth development.

However, let's not forget that Southampton were the seventh highest spenders in Europe on players last summer:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2012/sep/14/southampton-youth-policy-nig

Air hostess clique

A perfect example of why a great youth policy is essential .... on 10:55 - Apr 12 with 2285 viewswittle

A perfect example of why a great youth policy is essential .... on 10:51 - Apr 12 by TacticalR

We used to have Swansea-envy, and now we've got Southampton-envy

Anyway, I am sure we all support youth development.

However, let's not forget that Southampton were the seventh highest spenders in Europe on players last summer:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2012/sep/14/southampton-youth-policy-nig

nothing wrong with spending a few quid if the youth is coming through too, plus they looked to have spent well as they are looking nailed on for a mid table finish in their first season up.
A perfect example of why a great youth policy is essential .... on 11:05 - Apr 12 with 2269 viewsbob566

if i finish my career in the premiership with the saints then i'd be happy or a quote along those lines.

So this decades letissier has rolled into town.

All very honourable but i never know how i feel about this. No doubt letissier gets well looked after wherever he goes in southampton. I'm sure there is many a free ale in that belly of his and rightly so. He was so loyal to saints.

On the other hand another bit of me says you've won f**k all. Should he have signed for utd or somebody else and won some silverware.

What would you do if it was your choice. Stay at qpr or sign for the glamour club?
A perfect example of why a great youth policy is essential .... on 11:07 - Apr 12 with 2261 viewsswitchingcode

A perfect example of why a great youth policy is essential .... on 10:55 - Apr 12 by wittle

nothing wrong with spending a few quid if the youth is coming through too, plus they looked to have spent well as they are looking nailed on for a mid table finish in their first season up.

Nailed on to just escape relegation more like.Fans and Owners don't have the patience to wait for youth players to come through a sad fact of modern day football.
A perfect example of why a great youth policy is essential .... on 11:09 - Apr 12 with 2250 viewswittle

A perfect example of why a great youth policy is essential .... on 11:07 - Apr 12 by switchingcode

Nailed on to just escape relegation more like.Fans and Owners don't have the patience to wait for youth players to come through a sad fact of modern day football.

how do work that out ? they are 11th
A perfect example of why a great youth policy is essential .... on 11:11 - Apr 12 with 2245 viewsTacticalR

A perfect example of why a great youth policy is essential .... on 10:55 - Apr 12 by wittle

Fair enough. It's just that people are talking as though Southampton *hadn't* spent any money, whereas the article I linked to points out they that had spent more than Barcelona and Real Madrid.

Air hostess clique

A perfect example of why a great youth policy is essential .... on 13:50 - Apr 12 with 2153 viewsstevec

Not sure about essential.

Saints do have a good record on youth, Llalana, Bale, Walcott spring to mind so it can work and indeed pay for itself. However, is this the exception rather than the rule?

The cost of running a decent youth policy is around £2m per season, so in QPR's case, say £20m over the last 10 years. Success rate, Sterling for around £750k, Parrett for around £500k and the rest not worth a penny and played virtually no part in any success we've had in either promotion of 2004 / 2011.

The best youth policy may well be not to have one of your own at all. Better to have scouts monitoring other sides youth teams and pick off the likes of Shittu, Lee Cook, Blackstock, Connolly, (or, indeed Walcott and Bale!) build successful sides off the back of them and when the time is right sell them off for a profit.

Login to get fewer ads

A perfect example of why a great youth policy is essential .... on 14:07 - Apr 12 with 2137 viewsadhoc_qpr

Lallana, Shaw, Schneiderlin, Ward-Prowse are all Soton youth products who have a big role to play in their first team and all look prem class - pretty good record!

Especially considering they've produced Oxlade-Chamberlain, Bale and Walcott too.

Plus add in signing some young improving players in Rodriguez, Ramirez, Forren, Clyne and Cork too.

Lots to admire there - even their chairman managed a ruthless sacking at exactly the right time - while our hesitated and we ended up in an unrecoverable position.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024