Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Non QPR - Smartphone virgin - advice required 21:51 - Aug 25 with 3566 viewsRamseyR

Had a company blackberry for last 10 years but about to be made redundant and need to buy a smart phone for personal use.

I don't need or want the latest model, and will be a relatively light user. Not many phone calls, facebook, email, google maps/sat nav......web browsing ......good choice of apps ....that sort of thing

I'm thinking of a HTC which is a year or two old. Any recommendations?

Non QPR - Smartphone virgin - advice required on 08:04 - Aug 26 with 3498 viewsgordanoR

Much the same as you I have only recently got a smartphone. I didn't want to spend loads so I went for the HTC Desire C. Had it a few months now with no problems.
Non QPR - Smartphone virgin - advice required on 08:15 - Aug 26 with 3488 viewslondonscottish

I've got an HTC One V which is v easy to use. Sometimes a bit low on processing power but otherwise fine. There are more powerful versions - the One X is the best one IIRC.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Non QPR - Smartphone virgin - advice required on 08:19 - Aug 26 with 3483 viewsGloucs_R

Try a Samsung ace. Ignore the fact they sponsor Chelsea. The ace is an entry level smart phone and will give you what you need.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Non QPR - Smartphone virgin - advice required on 08:22 - Aug 26 with 3480 viewschris1969

Had an iphone 4 until it went for a swim and swapped for a Samsung galaxy S4, the new phone is amazing. Great for all the things you mentioned and its like having a mini computer in your pocket. HTC looked good and was also high spec but the metal and glass casing put me off didn't feel pratical or hard wearing. Samsung lighter and more plastic but still feels well made screen size is perfect and its lightning quick.

My house is full of apple products but the new Android phones are streets ahead and the iphone 6 better be good.
Non QPR - Smartphone virgin - advice required on 09:28 - Aug 26 with 3451 viewsRamseyR

Thanks all .. just what I need. I really know very little about this
Non QPR - Smartphone virgin - advice required on 09:54 - Aug 26 with 3432 viewsM40R

Non QPR - Smartphone virgin - advice required on 08:19 - Aug 26 by Gloucs_R

Try a Samsung ace. Ignore the fact they sponsor Chelsea. The ace is an entry level smart phone and will give you what you need.

I also switched to a personal Samsung Ace from a company Blackberry last November. It was something crazy like £7.50 pcm for two years with no upfront cost including 500 Mb data (more than enough), 250 mins and 1,000 texts. For the most part it's been great and, for the cost, a good match for my daughter's iPhone4.

It can be a tad slow, but this is manageable for the cost. However the biggest problem is that despite being able to add 16 Gb of storage for £8, most apps insist on using the main storage space, which is very limited. I've tried all sorts of deep technical stuff to get the apps to use the extra storage but keep running out of space and have to delete most apps. It's a pain as text messages are blocked until you clear space.

Unless anyone has an answer to this, the Galaxy Ace 2 might be better bet and there are lots of cheap deals available.

(Incidentally, I use a Talk Mobile SIM and this allows tethering on the Ace so you can use it as a wifi router data to other devices like a tablet. Great way of avoiding multiple data contracts. Lots of mobile providers, like Tesco, block tethering which is monstrous as its your data you've paid for).
Non QPR - Smartphone virgin - advice required on 12:35 - Aug 26 with 3365 viewsMrSheen

Show some dignity!

Non QPR - Smartphone virgin - advice required on 12:43 - Aug 26 with 3356 viewsE17hoop

Non QPR - Smartphone virgin - advice required on 08:15 - Aug 26 by londonscottish

I've got an HTC One V which is v easy to use. Sometimes a bit low on processing power but otherwise fine. There are more powerful versions - the One X is the best one IIRC.

I've the mid range One S and it's more than effective.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: How has this season been?

Login to get fewer ads

Non QPR - Smartphone virgin - advice required on 13:40 - Aug 26 with 3331 viewsEsgaroth

Non QPR - Smartphone virgin - advice required on 12:43 - Aug 26 by E17hoop

I've the mid range One S and it's more than effective.

Not buying a Samsung product because they make shet pads of cash out of sponsoring the scum is idiotic. They are rated as the best for a reason.

I have also drank Holsten and Newcastle Brown ale, painted my bedroom with crown paint oh and I occasionally shop at Waitrose.

Been here since 1984. Now THAT is what you call punishment

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024