Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
your worst dale eleven 12:57 - Jan 19 with 11154 viewsgibraltar_dale

Not sure if this has been done on here before but its Sunday and I've got nout to do so here goes..

Kenny arthur

Gary brown. Simon coleman. Neil trotman. Mike simpkins

Lee cartwright brisco jesus obadeye

Iyesden christie. Sako.
[Post edited 19 Jan 2014 13:48]
your worst dale eleven on 19:56 - Jan 20 with 1669 viewsgibraltar_dale

your worst dale eleven on 17:46 - Jan 20 by Daley_Lama

Huraah for a mention of Lee Hodges.

The biggest flop we have had, I reckon.

Can remember the hype when we signed Hodges. Massive let down! Although I can remember the ball being hoofed 50 yards into the air at every opportunity in the Simpson era so was hard for any player to make a decent impression. Can recall watching fireworks going off in the distance in the sandy to shouts of ooo ahhh. Only bit of entertainment we got at the time
your worst dale eleven on 20:01 - Jan 20 with 1658 viewsSalwaDale

your worst dale eleven on 21:34 - Jan 19 by 49thseason

Thankfully my mind had managed to block out most of the players from the Barrowball era, I got a very nasty shock a couple of weeks ago when Barrow turned up on the FLS? to give his post match thoughts at Wigan - I think its PTSD - I now keep getting flashbacks to the worst football in livng memory. The Lance Key air shot from a back pass, the slowest defence in football history, Stoker! Bryson who was decent once in his career but had left his best years way behind, Carter, alias Carthorse, and Leonard, the player (loose term) who made the rest of the team look at least mediocre. Help!

The only cure seems to be a regular dose of the best football ever played by the home team at Spotland. Roll on the Wendies!

Generally watch a few Wigan games every year. Couldn't ever fathom watching Barrow on the touchline while the Martinez Side passed the ball beautifully in front of him. He must have hated it.

TBBT

your worst dale eleven on 20:11 - Jan 20 with 1642 viewsisitme

Lucas
Goodhind
Boardman
Trotman
Simpkins
Durkan
Lee
Bailey
Proberts
Leonard
Hilditch
your worst dale eleven on 20:33 - Jan 20 with 1621 viewsClivert

your worst dale eleven on 20:11 - Jan 20 by isitme

Lucas
Goodhind
Boardman
Trotman
Simpkins
Durkan
Lee
Bailey
Proberts
Leonard
Hilditch

Lucas is a good shout! Any shot on target always seemed to be a goal with him between the sticks however Matt Dickins record speaks for itself.

Matt Dickins
Paul Sparrow
Michael Simpkins
Neil Trotman
Jon Boardman
Mark Bailey
Ian Bryson
Gareth Stoker
Jason Lydiate
Marcus Barnes-Homer
Paul Tait
your worst dale eleven on 20:36 - Jan 20 with 1616 views442Dale

your worst dale eleven on 20:33 - Jan 20 by Clivert

Lucas is a good shout! Any shot on target always seemed to be a goal with him between the sticks however Matt Dickins record speaks for itself.

Matt Dickins
Paul Sparrow
Michael Simpkins
Neil Trotman
Jon Boardman
Mark Bailey
Ian Bryson
Gareth Stoker
Jason Lydiate
Marcus Barnes-Homer
Paul Tait

Stoker and Lydiate are always inextricably linked. Barrow surpassed himself by signing large and small versions of the same stupendously bad player.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

your worst dale eleven on 20:44 - Jan 20 with 1595 viewsClivert

your worst dale eleven on 20:36 - Jan 20 by 442Dale

Stoker and Lydiate are always inextricably linked. Barrow surpassed himself by signing large and small versions of the same stupendously bad player.

The four midfield players I've picked probably played together for a number of games, compare that with the abundance of quality we have there now.

I guess with Barrow's style of play the midfielders weren't all that important to him though.

I really did try hard to find room for Mark Leonard but Tait got the nod ahead of him.
[Post edited 20 Jan 2014 20:47]
your worst dale eleven on 21:22 - Jan 20 with 1555 viewsR17ALE

your worst dale eleven on 20:44 - Jan 20 by Clivert

The four midfield players I've picked probably played together for a number of games, compare that with the abundance of quality we have there now.

I guess with Barrow's style of play the midfielders weren't all that important to him though.

I really did try hard to find room for Mark Leonard but Tait got the nod ahead of him.
[Post edited 20 Jan 2014 20:47]

You're showing your age there! Leonard was far worse than Tait!

Twice!

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

your worst dale eleven on 21:30 - Jan 20 with 1538 viewsClivert

your worst dale eleven on 21:22 - Jan 20 by R17ALE

You're showing your age there! Leonard was far worse than Tait!

Twice!

Wasn't Leonard converted to a midfield in Barrow's final season and did 'alright'?

'Alright' as in the competition in the midfield was Lydiate, Stoker, Bryson and Andy Farrell.
Login to get fewer ads

your worst dale eleven on 06:09 - Jan 21 with 1499 viewsColDale

your worst dale eleven on 20:33 - Jan 20 by Clivert

Matt Dickins
Paul Sparrow
Michael Simpkins
Neil Trotman
Jon Boardman
Mark Bailey
Ian Bryson
Gareth Stoker
Jason Lydiate
Marcus Barnes-Homer
Paul Tait

MBH is a must for the team. Never known a player go hiding in a game like he did in his final match for the club.
your worst dale eleven on 09:37 - Jan 21 with 1463 viewsR17ALE

your worst dale eleven on 21:30 - Jan 20 by Clivert

Wasn't Leonard converted to a midfield in Barrow's final season and did 'alright'?

'Alright' as in the competition in the midfield was Lydiate, Stoker, Bryson and Andy Farrell.

No. Leonard played a few times at centre back without distinction, but never midfield to my memory.

But he was signed as a striker (with decent career stats) and in 96-97 he was pretty much ever present scoring just 4 goals.

His overall stats are 103 apps 7 goals and he was our top earner.

Andy Morris got 8 in 37. Ernie Moss got 2 in 10. Paul Williams 10 in 48. Even Vernon Allatt got 10 in 49! Mark Leonard, imho, has been the worst player £ for £ to have ever pulled on the shirt.

And he had the cheek to apply for Barrow's job the following Monday. He had to be persuaded not to cancel his family holiday as he thought he was a shoe in!

your worst dale eleven on 10:06 - Jan 21 with 1453 viewsClivert

your worst dale eleven on 09:37 - Jan 21 by R17ALE

No. Leonard played a few times at centre back without distinction, but never midfield to my memory.

But he was signed as a striker (with decent career stats) and in 96-97 he was pretty much ever present scoring just 4 goals.

Andy Morris got 8 in 37. Ernie Moss got 2 in 10. Paul Williams 10 in 48. Even Vernon Allatt got 10 in 49! Mark Leonard, imho, has been the worst player £ for £ to have ever pulled on the shirt.

And he had the cheek to apply for Barrow's job the following Monday. He had to be persuaded not to cancel his family holiday as he thought he was a shoe in!

At least Sutton got our 40K back for him in 1992.
your worst dale eleven on 10:15 - Jan 21 with 1438 viewsmaybee

your worst dale eleven on 09:37 - Jan 21 by R17ALE

Whilst I agree that Leonard was rubbish, and massively overpaid, I'd argue that Paul Tait was even worse value for money. He was reputed to be on huge money for us, and was anything but prolific. He was also as soft as a kitten, and had the workrate of a Scouse docker in the 70's. Bristol Rovers fans thought he was so poor, they even formed a Paul Tait fan club, producing tongue in cheek t-shirts proclaiming him the be the "goal machine"

Notable other big money earners who were poor performers: Lee Hodges, Paul Williams and Alan Young.
your worst dale eleven on 10:30 - Jan 21 with 1427 viewsR17ALE

your worst dale eleven on 10:15 - Jan 21 by maybee

Whilst I agree that Leonard was rubbish, and massively overpaid, I'd argue that Paul Tait was even worse value for money. He was reputed to be on huge money for us, and was anything but prolific. He was also as soft as a kitten, and had the workrate of a Scouse docker in the 70's. Bristol Rovers fans thought he was so poor, they even formed a Paul Tait fan club, producing tongue in cheek t-shirts proclaiming him the be the "goal machine"

Notable other big money earners who were poor performers: Lee Hodges, Paul Williams and Alan Young.

Agree, but his 5 goals in 57 appearances almost doubles Leonard's achievements. And whilst rubbish, Tait did have a little bit of positional sense and fitness.

You could argue that Tait is worse, however, as he had the luxury of Holt and/or Lambert as a partner, whereas Leonard was often up front on his own*

* This led to a tremendous Barrow quote after a 1-0 defeat at Wigan in the first leg of a League Cup tie. 442 and TVOS will remember it more accurately than I can, so I'll let them do the honours!

your worst dale eleven on 10:36 - Jan 21 with 1420 views442Dale

your worst dale eleven on 21:30 - Jan 20 by Clivert

You're right, Leonard did appear in midfield briefly and did ok. It was Barrow's first season when we had just got Robbie Painter in on loan. It was Painter and Whitehall up front during a semi- decent spell featuring such games as Brighton at home 3-0 and a great 2-2 at Cambridge.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

(No subject) (n/t) on 10:39 - Jan 21 with 1417 viewsdingdangblue

[Post edited 21 Jan 2014 10:50]

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

your worst dale eleven on 10:43 - Jan 21 with 1413 viewsdingdangblue

Matt Dickens
Jason Hardy
Pim Balkenstein
Neil Trotman
Michael Simpkins
Jason Lydiate
Gareth Stoker
Chris Lee
Matt Barnes Homer
Mark Leonard
Mike Cecere

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10

your worst dale eleven on 11:03 - Jan 21 with 1395 viewsdingdangblue

your worst dale eleven on 10:43 - Jan 21 by dingdangblue

Matt Dickens
Jason Hardy
Pim Balkenstein
Neil Trotman
Michael Simpkins
Jason Lydiate
Gareth Stoker
Chris Lee
Matt Barnes Homer
Mark Leonard
Mike Cecere

In all my Dale supporting life I've never known a player 'not noticed' during games as much as Chris Lee - I would go through game after game having to look in the Sunday papers to make sure he'd been in the starting 11.

your worst dale eleven on 11:21 - Jan 21 with 1388 views100notout

Graham Shaw from the mid 90's would me on my reserve list - we have had worse strikers than him but he ranks up there amongst the worst of the strikers - 2 goals in 28 appearances

Poll: So who do you believe - Hendo or the Board?

your worst dale eleven on 12:50 - Jan 21 with 1354 viewsTVOS1907

your worst dale eleven on 10:30 - Jan 21 by R17ALE

Agree, but his 5 goals in 57 appearances almost doubles Leonard's achievements. And whilst rubbish, Tait did have a little bit of positional sense and fitness.

You could argue that Tait is worse, however, as he had the luxury of Holt and/or Lambert as a partner, whereas Leonard was often up front on his own*

* This led to a tremendous Barrow quote after a 1-0 defeat at Wigan in the first leg of a League Cup tie. 442 and TVOS will remember it more accurately than I can, so I'll let them do the honours!

I'll say.

He said: "It's better to lose 1-0 than 3-1".

It was a two-legged tie. A 1-0 defeat meant we would need to win 2-0 in the second leg to progress. A 3-1 defeat meant we would need to win, erm, 2-0 in the second leg to progress, albeit after extra-time.

The man was a buffoon.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

your worst dale eleven on 13:09 - Jan 21 with 1336 viewsfitzochris

your worst dale eleven on 10:15 - Jan 21 by maybee

God, yeah. I hardly remember Paul Tait having a good game for us other than in the League Cup tie against Wolves... and even then only in the first half.

I moved to Scotland around about then. I blame him.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

your worst dale eleven on 13:23 - Jan 21 with 1326 viewsTomRAFC

matt dickins

michael simpkins
john boardman
simon coleman
shaun smith

ashley proberts
andy farrell
kieron durkin

mark leonard
paul tait
lee buggie

Some slightly unfair mentions on this thread for players, who played all of a few minutes for dale, terrible as they were!

This thread does slightly make me miss Tazzy. I'm sure he could tell us that Dagnall was lazy, or that despite his managerial skills Simpson couldn't take a free kick to save his life... Only slight though. I must be diluted.

Poll: Would you have Keith Hill back?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024