Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stephen Dawson 12:51 - Jul 19 with 8029 viewsrochdale1

Apparently been training with us this past week
Stephen Dawson on 13:12 - Jul 19 with 6708 viewsjudd

He lives in Rochdale

Poll: What is it to be then?

Stephen Dawson on 13:15 - Jul 19 with 6700 viewsChaffRAFC

I know a few on here don't rate him but I'd have him in our side in the Cav role. Would be a good signing for me if we can do it.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Stephen Dawson on 13:20 - Jul 19 with 6667 views442Dale

Stephen Dawson on 13:15 - Jul 19 by ChaffRAFC

I know a few on here don't rate him but I'd have him in our side in the Cav role. Would be a good signing for me if we can do it.

I'd rather have kept Cavanagh. But maybe he can produce the displays he managed against us on a regular basis.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Stephen Dawson on 13:22 - Jul 19 with 6653 viewsjudd

He always played well against us. Wouldn't mind him signing.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Stephen Dawson on 13:25 - Jul 19 with 6640 viewsstigmundo77

He's a quality player from the championship and league 1. Perfect and younger replacement for cav. Sign him up. Just concerned about the height of our midfield
Stephen Dawson on 13:31 - Jul 19 with 6610 viewsleedsdale

It would tie in with what Hill said about us needing to be a bit 'nastier'. Can't hurt to see how he does in training
Stephen Dawson on 13:46 - Jul 19 with 6546 viewsseasidedale

If I remember correctly he was a player Hill tried to sign last time we were promoted but he went to Orient instead
Stephen Dawson on 14:18 - Jul 19 with 6396 viewsPDIDDY

Superb player if you could get him, more ex Bury players..... Pathetic

Gissa job

Login to get fewer ads

Stephen Dawson on 20:36 - Jul 19 with 5902 viewsRAFC1907

He would be great in any role in midfield either holding, attacking or box to box. Good range of passing, very very energetic and solid in the tackle. If we signed him we would have possibly the best midfield in the league.

Poll: Bottomley...

Stephen Dawson on 21:11 - Jul 19 with 5794 views100notout

28 years old. Thought he was older than that.

A good player and would probably do a very good job for us. Hilly obviously likes him. Won't come cheap though

Poll: So who do you believe - Hendo or the Board?

Stephen Dawson on 00:27 - Jul 20 with 5536 viewsWhiteyBFC

There's a potentially decent player in there, but his weaknesses are horrific, certainly for the second tier, and duly taken advantage of. However, his best football came under Keith for us, and in the third tier you'd expect him to be much more effective and less of a weak link.

Could do a job for you in this division. Can see the reasoning as well. Sort of player Dale lack. But, please rein in the above descriptions of him.
Box to box? Superb range of passing? Seriously, that's like calling BBM a speed merchant, or Matty Done a unit.

I've given a fair summary there, for a player I went from sort of admiring, to a player I couldn't wait for us to get rid of. He, along with a few others were everything we need to cleanse ourselves of. The loser club. The soft as shit brigade. The 'but we are all mates' clique.

Good luck if he ends up signing. I mean, he lives in Dale, went to your promotion party the day we were relegated, so it would fit wouldn't it? But so much for the claims that he's got Championship interest...

I'd like to say he'd get a 'warm' reception when he returns, but we'll be celebrating promotion and won't give him a second fcuking glance. The absolute bell.

Stephen Dawson on 00:54 - Jul 20 with 5501 viewsRotherhamDale

He'd certainly fit the bill as an anchor man in the midfield. We do need one, unless Lund can play there.

I'd rather us go for someone a bit younger though, even though his experience will probably help.

Possession with progression.

Stephen Dawson on 01:17 - Jul 20 with 5476 viewsnordenblue

Stephen Dawson on 00:54 - Jul 20 by RotherhamDale

He'd certainly fit the bill as an anchor man in the midfield. We do need one, unless Lund can play there.

I'd rather us go for someone a bit younger though, even though his experience will probably help.

We've not done bad with an ageing midfield anchor man in recent years, Gary Jones and Cav weren't too shabby
Stephen Dawson on 08:52 - Jul 20 with 5273 viewssweetcorn

Stephen Dawson on 01:17 - Jul 20 by nordenblue

We've not done bad with an ageing midfield anchor man in recent years, Gary Jones and Cav weren't too shabby

Jones played attacking midfield in League one for us. Just sayin.

Leader of the little gang of immature cretins.

Stephen Dawson on 09:25 - Jul 20 with 5220 viewsnordenblue

Stephen Dawson on 08:52 - Jul 20 by sweetcorn

Jones played attacking midfield in League one for us. Just sayin.

Thats brill, what about the majority of his career? I was waiting for a bright reply
Stephen Dawson on 09:54 - Jul 20 with 5131 viewsBFC

Commitment not in question, prone to rash challenges and can be a bit of a 'headless chicken' at times.

What happened with those claims about his integrity at the end of last season by the way?
Stephen Dawson on 10:04 - Jul 20 with 5096 viewssweetcorn

Stephen Dawson on 09:25 - Jul 20 by nordenblue

Thats brill, what about the majority of his career? I was waiting for a bright reply

Ahhh yes all those successful years we had when Gary Jones was playing defensive midfield, like our first promotion season where Gary Jones barely even figured and jason taylor was infact the defensive lynchpin of the midfield.

So i'd say in all the time Jones actually played 'defensive midfield' (i'd even argue he wasn't a defensive midfielder then, as we were playing 2 midfielders in the middle and i'd say perkins and jones were both box to box type players) we've had 2 seasons that we could probably argue successful, which were our centenary season and the season following, which ultimatley ended as failures.

For me Rochdales Gary Jones was a box to box midfielder who had his limitations, but showed 100% passion in a dale shirt.

I'll wait for a bright reply too.

Stephen Dawson on 17:18 - Jul 20 with 4766 viewsnordenblue

Stephen Dawson on 10:04 - Jul 20 by sweetcorn

Ahhh yes all those successful years we had when Gary Jones was playing defensive midfield, like our first promotion season where Gary Jones barely even figured and jason taylor was infact the defensive lynchpin of the midfield.

So i'd say in all the time Jones actually played 'defensive midfield' (i'd even argue he wasn't a defensive midfielder then, as we were playing 2 midfielders in the middle and i'd say perkins and jones were both box to box type players) we've had 2 seasons that we could probably argue successful, which were our centenary season and the season following, which ultimatley ended as failures.

For me Rochdales Gary Jones was a box to box midfielder who had his limitations, but showed 100% passion in a dale shirt.

I'll wait for a bright reply too.

Not overly bothered wasting my time replying in full, the point was he was old as was Cav and we didnt do too shabby with either, its not like you to post something just to provoke an argument though.
Stephen Dawson on 18:08 - Jul 20 with 4607 viewssweetcorn

Stephen Dawson on 17:18 - Jul 20 by nordenblue

Not overly bothered wasting my time replying in full, the point was he was old as was Cav and we didnt do too shabby with either, its not like you to post something just to provoke an argument though.

Your last post has come from fantasy land. your point not only said he was old, but also that he was an anchor in midfield. You twice suggested Jones to be a defensive midfielder.. first of all you described him as a "midfield anchor" and then posted "Thats brill, what about the majority of his career? I was waiting for a bright reply", again suggesting that i was wrong and he was infact a defensive midfielder.

As i've stated my opinion on Jones role for dale was box to box, putting in the hard graft at the back and driving forward (or more often, sideways) from the back. I'd say the one thing that suggests that Jones was more attack minded than defence at dale would be that when his legs were finally gone, Hill decided that attack was Jones' strongest box (from the 'box to box')

Also by that logic maybe we shouldn't have an older midfielder in because we were rather poor when we had simpson and redfearn in midfield..

Stephen Dawson on 18:13 - Jul 20 with 4594 viewssandylaner1

Thought Dawson was older than 28....

But still, is he a better player than cavanagh in the CDM role?
Stephen Dawson on 19:21 - Jul 20 with 4426 viewsnordenblue

Stephen Dawson on 18:08 - Jul 20 by sweetcorn

Your last post has come from fantasy land. your point not only said he was old, but also that he was an anchor in midfield. You twice suggested Jones to be a defensive midfielder.. first of all you described him as a "midfield anchor" and then posted "Thats brill, what about the majority of his career? I was waiting for a bright reply", again suggesting that i was wrong and he was infact a defensive midfielder.

As i've stated my opinion on Jones role for dale was box to box, putting in the hard graft at the back and driving forward (or more often, sideways) from the back. I'd say the one thing that suggests that Jones was more attack minded than defence at dale would be that when his legs were finally gone, Hill decided that attack was Jones' strongest box (from the 'box to box')

Also by that logic maybe we shouldn't have an older midfielder in because we were rather poor when we had simpson and redfearn in midfield..

"Id suggest" as you like to quote you get out a little more, similar to a drill bit you're quite a boring tool
Stephen Dawson on 20:25 - Jul 20 with 4273 viewsSalwaDale

Stephen Dawson on 19:21 - Jul 20 by nordenblue

"Id suggest" as you like to quote you get out a little more, similar to a drill bit you're quite a boring tool

He is correct though.Bradford played him as a more holding midfielder but we never really did.

TBBT

Stephen Dawson on 20:30 - Jul 20 with 4251 viewsnordenblue

Stephen Dawson on 20:25 - Jul 20 by SalwaDale

He is correct though.Bradford played him as a more holding midfielder but we never really did.

Im fully aware exactly where both he and Cav played, my reply was originally to a poster commenting that maybe Dawson was a bit too old to sign for the coming season, I happened to mention our 2 previous centre mids weren't too bad considering their age etc.He just got all giddy and got himself into a sticky mess about Gary Jones
Stephen Dawson on 09:39 - Jul 21 with 3917 viewsBarryStrange

Stephen Dawson on 00:27 - Jul 20 by WhiteyBFC

There's a potentially decent player in there, but his weaknesses are horrific, certainly for the second tier, and duly taken advantage of. However, his best football came under Keith for us, and in the third tier you'd expect him to be much more effective and less of a weak link.

Could do a job for you in this division. Can see the reasoning as well. Sort of player Dale lack. But, please rein in the above descriptions of him.
Box to box? Superb range of passing? Seriously, that's like calling BBM a speed merchant, or Matty Done a unit.

I've given a fair summary there, for a player I went from sort of admiring, to a player I couldn't wait for us to get rid of. He, along with a few others were everything we need to cleanse ourselves of. The loser club. The soft as shit brigade. The 'but we are all mates' clique.

Good luck if he ends up signing. I mean, he lives in Dale, went to your promotion party the day we were relegated, so it would fit wouldn't it? But so much for the claims that he's got Championship interest...

I'd like to say he'd get a 'warm' reception when he returns, but we'll be celebrating promotion and won't give him a second fcuking glance. The absolute bell.

Can win games through his sheer force of will, but when he gets into "whine at the referee mode", he can be extremely irritating because he obsesses about complaining at ref, teammates, manager, anyone and the game is still going on around him.

Interesting to hear a view of him from having seen him in the Championship, I genuinely thought he looked a much better player at Bury in L2 than whenever I saw him at Leyton Orient in L1 to be honest.

No denying he won player of the year both seasons at Gigg, for 3/4 of the time he played for us he was brilliant - but there is a side of him that doesn't really care about the game as long as there is a bigger or more interesting pay cheque waiting down the line. The last 2 months at Bury he was going through the motions every week as he knew he was off.

Personally I think he'd do a good job at Dale - providing a bit of bite when you need it - but just keep in mind there's a rather frustrating Jekyll and Hyde quality to him.
Stephen Dawson on 10:13 - Jul 21 with 3821 viewsD_Alien

Stephen Dawson on 09:39 - Jul 21 by BarryStrange

Can win games through his sheer force of will, but when he gets into "whine at the referee mode", he can be extremely irritating because he obsesses about complaining at ref, teammates, manager, anyone and the game is still going on around him.

Interesting to hear a view of him from having seen him in the Championship, I genuinely thought he looked a much better player at Bury in L2 than whenever I saw him at Leyton Orient in L1 to be honest.

No denying he won player of the year both seasons at Gigg, for 3/4 of the time he played for us he was brilliant - but there is a side of him that doesn't really care about the game as long as there is a bigger or more interesting pay cheque waiting down the line. The last 2 months at Bury he was going through the motions every week as he knew he was off.

Personally I think he'd do a good job at Dale - providing a bit of bite when you need it - but just keep in mind there's a rather frustrating Jekyll and Hyde quality to him.

That may be true, but we're blessed (twice blessed) with a manager who is non pareil at sorting out players with "issues" - or offloading them in quick order

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024