Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
RIP Tom Mumford 17:46 - Apr 28 with 10071 viewstony_roch975

Just learned of the very sudden and sad death of my friend Tom Mumford early this morning after a short illness. Tom was a true supporter of Rochdale for well over fifty years and for the last ten or so years has been a season ticket holder with his wife Barbara in the Main Stand on the infamous 'Row F'! Tom and Barbara are extremely well-known to many Dale fans as they have been regulars at almost every single match, home and away, in recent years. Tom, a very good footballer himself in his day, will be badly missed by many of us.

Friends have asked for this message to be read out on Saturday before the game - there will genuinely be many in the ground who will know Tom. It would be great for us all to hear him mentioned and much appreciated by Barbara.

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

RIP Tom Mumford on 18:11 - Apr 28 with 10006 viewsTalkingSutty

Gutted to here this news, Mr Mumford was our teacher at Littleborough High School, as was his wife. Lovely, caring people. Both highly thought of by all the pupils. Thoughts are with Mrs Mumford and family RIP.

I seem to remember in the old school days he also had an affection to Leicester City. No doubt he will bump into another Dale legend and Littleborough High School teacher Colin Markel Smith. Another great man.
[Post edited 28 Apr 2016 18:18]
RIP Tom Mumford on 18:13 - Apr 28 with 9995 views1mark1

R.I.P.

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

RIP Tom Mumford on 18:15 - Apr 28 with 9978 viewsSandyman

Know who Tom is - nice bloke. R.I.P
RIP Tom Mumford on 18:30 - Apr 28 with 9935 viewsfirgrovedale51

RIP Tom Mumford on 18:11 - Apr 28 by TalkingSutty

Gutted to here this news, Mr Mumford was our teacher at Littleborough High School, as was his wife. Lovely, caring people. Both highly thought of by all the pupils. Thoughts are with Mrs Mumford and family RIP.

I seem to remember in the old school days he also had an affection to Leicester City. No doubt he will bump into another Dale legend and Littleborough High School teacher Colin Markel Smith. Another great man.
[Post edited 28 Apr 2016 18:18]

Likewise TS Tom and Barbara also taught me at Littleborough High I left in 67 .
We used to have the banter with him because of his support of Leicester City , if I remember correctly Barbara took us for French and Tom for History and some games lessons .
They were a nice couple and approachable it is very sad news indeed .
Condolencies to Barbara , Mrs Mumford. and RIP to Tom , Mr Mumford ,with respect.
It would be good if somebody could please post arrangements of the funeral .
RIP Tom Mumford on 18:40 - Apr 28 with 9898 viewsTVOS1907

That's really sad news.

I got to know Tom and Barbara quite well in recent years through a shared love of Dale and discussions about the teaching profession.

He taught my older brother and sister and remembered them both well despite it being over 30 years ago.

Tom always looked so dapper and he and Barbara combined away games with trips to various corners of England to "make a few days of it."

A genuinely nice man and someone who will be sadly missed.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

RIP Tom Mumford on 13:22 - Apr 29 with 9371 viewsNIGELdale

I remember Mr Mumford taught at littleborough high when I was there in the mid 80s really good teacher did not know he was a dale fan seem to remember his love for Leicester he will be sadly missed to those that knew him RIP.
RIP Tom Mumford on 16:35 - Apr 29 with 9209 viewsStreety1996

Met Tom a few times because he taught my dad at school, was a really nice bloke RIP

Poll: Lillis or Logan?

RIP Tom Mumford on 17:53 - Apr 29 with 9126 viewsbatfink

Sad news, really nice guy and great teacher
RIP
Login to get fewer ads

RIP Tom Mumford on 21:13 - Apr 29 with 8970 viewsYouTubeDale

I'm not one for names but I knew they were teachers. I too share the infamous row F with them. I'm shocked at the news since he came over as a pretty healthy bloke. Indeed a very nice man, always willing to make his comment on the players and the game. He obviously got a lot of pleasure from watching the Dale home and away. I hope Barbara is there tomorrow ,I'm sure Tom would have wanted that,and again ,a lovely lady.

Very,very sad.

Jesus saves but Beasley scores off the rebound.
Poll: Do you want Keith Hill to leave immediately?

RIP Tom Mumford on 22:50 - Apr 29 with 8874 viewsR17ALE

I didn't actually know Tom, but he was one of those faces you'd see at Euston or Piccadilly waiting to catch a train. Always perfectly turned out with Barbara in tow. A Dale squire really.

Condolences to Barbara (don't give up) and RIP Tom.

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

RIP Tom Mumford on 05:16 - Apr 30 with 8759 viewsTalkingSutty

RIP Tom Mumford on 22:50 - Apr 29 by R17ALE

I didn't actually know Tom, but he was one of those faces you'd see at Euston or Piccadilly waiting to catch a train. Always perfectly turned out with Barbara in tow. A Dale squire really.

Condolences to Barbara (don't give up) and RIP Tom.

Always very dapper. He taught me history but used to also help out Larry Boardman with the odd sports lesson. I remember him trying to explain the art of spin bowling to us once and he demonstrated by trying to land the ball on a handkerchief which he placed down the wicket, he was wearing a cravat as he spun the ball from one hand to the other,all very impressive.

We waited with baited breath as he sent down the biggest full toss you've ever seen and was duly dispatched onto the Carriage Drive. He didn't blink an eye or even mention the delivery, instead he just walked over to the long jump pit and imparted further knowledge. It was like it never happened. A great teacher. In fact when I look back on that school we had some brilliant teachers, quite a few being Rochdale fans. Colin Smith Markel, George Kokocki anybody?

They didn't just teach,they also brought loads of humour to the lessons and helped you with life skills,I even used to get the odd flyer on Tuesdays to catch the supporters coach. Some of the teachers used to go for a pint in the Boro at lunchtimes, life was different then and less complicated.

They used to give a lot of the pupils nicknames, mine was 'rufus' because of my red hair (It's Arctic blonde now), Mr Kokocki still calls me that now and I'm 51 years old. I always remember Colin Smith giving me a good bollocking during the German lesson ' UDO*, STAND ON YOUR CHAIR', instead i climbed out of the window and hid on the top of the waterwheel in Littleborough Park. *Udo was my German name.

It's funny, I could never ever bring myself to call him Tom or his wife Barbara, it's always Mr and Mrs Mumford even to this day. That was the respect you had for your teachers, it's probably still the same today,good teachers can influence you for life.
[Post edited 30 Apr 2016 7:49]
RIP Tom Mumford on 08:09 - Apr 30 with 8681 viewsAlbert_Whitehurst

Very sorry to read this. Only knew Tom to say hello to at Dale games. a 'well kent face' as others have confirmed.
RIP Tom Mumford on 08:47 - Apr 30 with 8648 views1907

I was absolutely gutted when I learned of this the other day. A thoroughly wonderfully kind hearted man with an unbelievable love for Dale. Fans don't come much truer than Tom & Barbara. Such a horrible and unexpected shock. I hope Barbara is there today and fellow supporters assure her of what a brilliant man Tom was. Row F has undoubtedly lost a fine man.
RIP Tom Mumford on 09:02 - Apr 30 with 8628 viewsDaleaholic

RIP Tom Mumford on 05:16 - Apr 30 by TalkingSutty

Always very dapper. He taught me history but used to also help out Larry Boardman with the odd sports lesson. I remember him trying to explain the art of spin bowling to us once and he demonstrated by trying to land the ball on a handkerchief which he placed down the wicket, he was wearing a cravat as he spun the ball from one hand to the other,all very impressive.

We waited with baited breath as he sent down the biggest full toss you've ever seen and was duly dispatched onto the Carriage Drive. He didn't blink an eye or even mention the delivery, instead he just walked over to the long jump pit and imparted further knowledge. It was like it never happened. A great teacher. In fact when I look back on that school we had some brilliant teachers, quite a few being Rochdale fans. Colin Smith Markel, George Kokocki anybody?

They didn't just teach,they also brought loads of humour to the lessons and helped you with life skills,I even used to get the odd flyer on Tuesdays to catch the supporters coach. Some of the teachers used to go for a pint in the Boro at lunchtimes, life was different then and less complicated.

They used to give a lot of the pupils nicknames, mine was 'rufus' because of my red hair (It's Arctic blonde now), Mr Kokocki still calls me that now and I'm 51 years old. I always remember Colin Smith giving me a good bollocking during the German lesson ' UDO*, STAND ON YOUR CHAIR', instead i climbed out of the window and hid on the top of the waterwheel in Littleborough Park. *Udo was my German name.

It's funny, I could never ever bring myself to call him Tom or his wife Barbara, it's always Mr and Mrs Mumford even to this day. That was the respect you had for your teachers, it's probably still the same today,good teachers can influence you for life.
[Post edited 30 Apr 2016 7:49]

Colin Smith-Markl was my father, thanks for your kind words.

Very sad news as Tom was a friend of my mum and dad, having taught with them at Littleborough. Condolences to Barbara.

Poll: What should happen with the 'Bowlee fund' money?

RIP Tom Mumford on 16:53 - May 15 with 7978 viewstony_roch975

Anyone wishing to know the funeral arrangements please pm me.

RIP Tom Mumford on 14:56 - May 17 with 7518 viewsVespaDale

Great men Mr Mumford, Kokocki & Smith, the latter 2 being very scary when they raised their voices... Mr Mumford also had an imaginary American friend, Harvey the 6ft rabbit... Used to make us talk to it once we'd wasted half the lesson talking about football / cricket etc
RIP Tom Mumford on 23:30 - May 22 with 7191 viewstony_roch975

Glorious, life-affirming funeral service for Tom on Friday and special mention to Colin Garlick, who attended on behalf of the club, and to the club staff who provided the buffet after - if you want to sum up the qualities of our great family club, that was it.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024